John Morrison - you okay?

geogphotos

Question

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

We have had our moments but hope that you are okay.

Haven't seen your name around here and it used to be all the time.

Best wishes

Sadly not. Have a look at his blog 'Broken Cloud' - a couple of months ago he said he was terminally ill. He's in a care home now.

Saddened to hear this news, but I'm happy to know that John is at peace. I'll enjoy exploring his blog, which I wasn't aware of, as I've always sensed a kindred spirit.

Edited by John Mitchell

25 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

If correct, sad indeed.  

Just hopped over to his blog. The best I can tell, he had a stroke sometime around Christmas. Then a mention of a tumour (tumor), and hints of having a terminal diagnosis with 3 months left of decent activity which has been used up. Many mentions later about using a motorized getaround (wheelchair? Cart?) of some sort that he seemed to like. I believe now he can no longer speak with visitors but knows they are there. His family & friends have rallied around him these past months.

I'm so sorry it has come to this but warms my heart that he means something special to his friends & family.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

link to JohnM photos AFAICT:

as a stock photographer, I want to honor him by licensing one of his stock photos;
its symbolic, maybe its silly, maybe someone will let him know, maybe not;
does anyone else? what is lowest priced non-plan single license using credit card?
am not actually going to use image...
(yes, agency benefits most, but...)
oddly, I've ne'er licensed a stock photo before...
if others want to do same, shall we multi-license same photo or each pick our own...?
all do it on same day...?
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear. Wish I'd known sooner so I could have reached out when he was still able to know what was going on. I'm glad to hear that he is at peace but so sad that he won't be here on earth much longer. Will miss him. 

John, I've always enjoyed your wit and appreciated your photography. You could make fun of things but were also strong enough to have your leg pulled.

I'm so greatful on our last exchange I was able to congratulate you on a sale.

Edited by Mr Standfast

I seem to recall that it was John who first prompted me to search out Alamy pics in the newspapers. It fills the time quite nicely.

I'd not read his blog until reading this post, but well worth a visit.

Sad news.

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've always sensed a kindred spirit.

Ditto, especially since we have both lived in the Calder Valley and both appreciated the alternative culture that thrives there.

Alan

This is very sad news indeed. I did not know about his blog.  I had the pleasure of meeting John some time ago when he came to one of our Alamy photographer meetings in Cambridge.

So sorry for him and his family.

Allan

• Like 1

Only just became aware of this. I had the pleasure of sharing an hour or so in conversation with John when he turned up at one of our Alamy Cambridge meetings. He was very similar in the flesh to his forum persona: acerbic wit, funny, highly intelligent and a great conversationalist. Having just read some of his blog, I won't wish him a pleasant onward journey, just a very peaceful and painless end to his current one. 

Edited by MDM

12 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
link to JohnM photos AFAICT:

as a stock photographer, I want to honor him by licensing one of his stock photos;
its symbolic, maybe its silly, maybe someone will let him know, maybe not;
does anyone else? what is lowest priced non-plan single license using credit card?
am not actually going to use image...
(yes, agency benefits most, but...)
oddly, I've ne'er licensed a stock photo before...
if others want to do same, shall we multi-license same photo or each pick our own...?
all do it on same day...?

That's such a lovely idea. Will take a look at John's blog myself as well. Thank you, Jeffrey.

• Like 1