April 2021 Challenge: Buskers

Ed Rooney

Struggling with this one Edo, but here is my meagre contribution.

1) No buskers here please

a-sign-banning-the-playing-of-music-outside-the-saint-bavokerk-church-BNTPFJ.jpg

2) Young musicians busking at Durham Folk party

young-folk-musicians-play-at-durham-folk-party-durham-city-north-east-JPE2A7.jpg

3) Bloke playing pipes in Dumfries

man-playing-pipes-in-front-of-gypsy-style-horse-drawn-caravan-at-dumfries-CW3TM3.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, pierre rochon said:

I'm trying to post a picture and it shows at a much smaller size than the other images posted on this thread. I can't remember how I did it last time...

1) Find your image like customer would (not through AIM)

2) Enlarge image

3) Shift -> Right Mouse Click -> Copy Image Location

4) Here in Forum "Insert Image from URL" than paste

Edited by Autumn Sky

Congratulations on your win, Andy. A good choice of topic. There is no shortage of buskers in Edinburgh during the Summer......or at least that used to be the case. All taken during festival season.

edinburgh-fringe-festival-edinburgh-scot

woman-walking-past-witch-and-broomstick-

royal-mile-edinburgh-scotland-uk-22-augu

Congratulation for having such a good photograph in the last Challenge Ed.

And now going through my images on Alamy I found only three photographs that could relate to this month theme...

So here they are and sorry if two of them look a bit alike...

Young girl playing saxophone under a bridge:

caucasian-teenage-girl-playing-saxophone

Buskers at the market 1:

people-listen-to-a-band-playing-live-mus

Busker at the market 2:

people-listen-to-a-band-playing-live-mus

Good luck everyone, it is nice to see photographs of people having a good time.

The subject eliminates me, but interesting photos here.
I took photos of a few buskers way back in San Fran, but that was on film. One of the guys looked like a pile of straw on the sidewalk. Jumped to his feet beside me and gave me a heart attack. I wasn’t putting anything in the kitty for that!

If I had not been the victim, and got a laugh at someone else’s heart attack...maybe.

• Love 1

Well done on your win Ed, utterly cracking photo!
Good choice for this month's competition too, I'm lucky, lots of buskers here in Sidmouth, particularly during Folk Week. Stunned by Michael's picture of the "Cat Man" - don't ever see my cats earning their living, their main contribution being the odd dead mouse.
Anyway, three buskers from me ...

Cracking band this lot... 😀

Sidmouth, UK. 6th August, 2017. Street band Phat Bollard perform in Sidmouth Market Square at the town's annual Stock Photo

This guy fires pineapples into the air -catches them on a helmet spike.
Everyone needs a hobby.

Sidmouth, UK. 6th August, 2017.  Street entertainers perform in Sidmouth Market Square at the town's annual folk Stock Photo

Dancing/singing busking duo.

Sidmouth, Devon, 3rd Aug 15 A girl dances on a wooden board as another sings on the Esplanade during Sidmouth Folk Stock Photo

Edited by TeeCee
  • Like 1

Good grief, I see about 15 winners. And the others are not bad either. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I hope somebody will contact me soon with the way to setup the voting page—I haven't a clue. 🤪

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, I see about 15 winners. And the others are not bad either. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I hope somebody will contact me soon with the way to setup the voting page—I haven't a clue. 🤪

I am sure one of us can help you Edo, not to worry.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Once you have agonized over choosing the final 8 the setting up problem will seem easy.

Paulette

• Love 1

My three.

gloucester-uk-15th-nov-2018-gloucesters-historic-market-is-a-draw-for-visitors-and-locals-stall-holders-dress-up-in-victorian-costume-to-provide-a-period-atmosphere-mr-burroughs-the-sweep-offers-good-luck-for-a-handshake-and-explains-the-life-of-a-child-chimmney-sweep-credit-mr-standfastalamy-live-news-R1YD5C.jpg

1. Mr Burroughs, he will tell you stories about the problems of being a chimmney sweep in victorian days.  He was a bit miffed about the change in the law stopping him from sending children up chimmneys to clean them. He was at pains to to point out that he was always kind and would never light a fire to get them to hurry up, well almost never...

street-entertainer-crash-metal-performs-in-stall-st-bath-uk-WXY4J9.jpg

2.  This chap went by the name of Crash Metal. Seen in the Buskers natural habitat of Stall Street Bath.

gary-millhouse-the-busker-in-bath-abbey-courtyard-C986Y2.jpg

3. Gary Millhouse busking on a quiet day in Bath Abbey courtyard.  Some of these guys seem to do it just for the music, put your ear to the screen, you might just hear some Bach.

This is great. But what is the criteria one goes about choosing winning batch? Is it most outrageous looking busker? (ie "La Rambla" above?) Is it something beautiful (ie "My Avatar" painting)? Is it photo that really tells the story, or is it what appears technically most polished?

My fav so far is that Witch by Sally. Which doesn't necessarily mean I'll vote for it should it make the final cut. I also learned what "busker" stands for & enriched my metadata library :)

16 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

This is great. But what is the criteria one goes about choosing winning batch? Is it most outrageous looking busker? (ie "La Rambla" above?) Is it something beautiful (ie "My Avatar" painting)? Is it photo that really tells the story, or is it what appears technically most polished?

I think everyone would have a different answer, but Ed gets to choose for this one. :)

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

My fav so far is that Witch by Sally. Which doesn't necessarily mean I'll vote for it should it make the final cut. I also learned what "busker" stands for & enriched my metadata library :)

That's a good question. Do you judge the busker or the image? Edo will have a tough job on his hands. However, I get the feeling that he really knows his buskers. 🪕🎷