April 2021 Challenge: Buskers

Ed Rooney

13 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

This is great. But what is the criteria one goes about choosing winning batch? Is it most outrageous looking busker? (ie "La Rambla" above?) Is it something beautiful (ie "My Avatar" painting)? Is it photo that really tells the story, or is it what appears technically most polished?

My personal criteria for judging images remains the same: light, shape, colour, and gesture. Gesture is the most important. What does the image have to say? Someone always has to evaluate an image. This month that someone is me. 

• Love 1

Congrats Ed on your win with a great image! Here are my three:

1. Headless street entertainer, Barcelona

black-white-image-of-headless-street-performer-by-the-cathedral-gothic-EY2T6P.jpg

2. Street violinist and helper, France

a-violin-player-in-the-market-with-his-cat-on-his-shoulders-lorgues-AYWEAY.jpg

3.  Slightly lecherous busker, Trinidad, Cuba!

a-guitarist-playing-in-this-street-scene-as-a-woman-walks-past-cuban-DMPR9J.jpg

Best,

Kumar

• Love 2
  • Like 1

My Three

Busker playing Spanish classical guitar on street pavement, Bath, Somerset, England, GB, UK Stock Photo

Busker playing Spanish classical guitar on street pavement, Bath, Somerset, England, GB, UK

(as I recall, he also wrote for films/TV etc)

A band of young buskers perform on the streets of London at Columbia Road flower market, London, England, GB, UK. Stock Photo

A band of young buskers perform on the streets of London at Columbia Road flower market, London, England, GB, UK.

(this one is all for the little girl: the musicians were so happy about it)

Street musicians play Christmas Carols outside Wokingham Town Hall in Berkshire, England. Stock Photo

Street musicians play Christmas Carols outside Wokingham Town Hall in Berkshire, England

(all classical musicians)

Edited by losdemas
  • Love 1

Congrats Edo on your glorious Renaissance image. Fun challenge.

I didn't learn the term "busker" until I'd been contributing to Alamy for years, so good thing you've translated for us Yanks.  Ive actually got some buskers from across the pond, taken during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe back in 2007, when my daughter was performing. I have lots of pix of her and her troupe performing too, but never put them online. 

But I did upload a few buskers from the trip:

First, some acrobats:

edinburgh-aug-9-two-gymnasts-perform-on-the-street-during-the-edinburgh-C1GJRE.jpg

Then a wonderfully costumed gent drumming up interest in his show. It was called The Absinthe Monologues, so probably not appropriate fare for the little boy looking on, good thing his street performance was rated G :

actor-from-the-absinthe-monologues-at-the-edinburgh-festival-fringe-BJ9TT4.jpg

And here are some performers in Venice Beach, California. I thought the piano out on the street was unusual:

group-of-street-musicians-band-playing-guitar-piano-drums-singing-BT97JH.jpg

Edited by Marianne

Members of the Mysterious Rainbow People (Les gens de couleur) walking amongst the crowd in downtown Montreal.members-of-the-mysterious-rainbow-people-les-gens-de-couleur-walking-M4XAH9.jpg

Winged street artist walking in downtown Montreal during the Just for Laughs festival.winged-street-artist-walking-in-downtown-montreal-during-the-just-DGF76Y.jpg

Frozen busker performing in downtown Montreal during the Just for Laughs festival.man-in-refrigerator-human-statue-performing-in-downtown-montreal-during-DGF7FA.jpg

You begin by clicking +Create at the top of the Forum page. Then you choose "Let's Talk About Pics". It will start out as if you are doing a regular post but if you check the top you will see that you can choose Poll. Choose that. It's pretty obvious how to set the poll up and then you will be confused as to how to add images, etc. but there is another tab at the top for Content. Choose that. As I recall, there are a couple of opportunities to put in the title of the post and the one I thought would be the title was not and the other was but as long as you make it something about voting for this challenge you will be OK.

Paulette

Thank you, Paulette.

I've had a hectic day and the fire alarm went off again last night at 1:30. So I will try setting things up tomorrow when I'm awake. I guess I post it on the weekend. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

Edo, Pauletteshas replied but I found this and lifted from Colin's 2013 post... "June challenge - poll help needed"

"I am trying and failing to set up the poll for June's challenge. 

I type in the Topic Title

I click Manage Topic Poll and the Poll creation box opens

I type in 'June challenge - time to vote'  in poll title

I type in 'June's winner is ...' in Question 1

I add another seven choices and in each one I add the Alamy ref of the picture and a short description

finish

Then you post it.

Stay safe kid.

I think things may have changed. What I did today was to go to +Create and follow what it does now. What you quoted from Colin didn't sound familiar. Edo, I'm sure you will have times of confusion doing it but looking at the top for tabs will lead you in the right direction and you can always let us know what the problems are and someone will help.

Paulette

56 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I think things may have changed. What I did today was to go to +Create and follow what it does now. What you quoted from Colin didn't sound familiar. Edo, I'm sure you will have times of confusion doing it but looking at the top for tabs will lead you in the right direction and you can always let us know what the problems are and someone will help.

Paulette

Fair enough. 

I was fooling around with Paulette's step-by-step instructions last night, while waiting for the fire alarm to go off, and I found things are as she said. The lady has gone toe-to-toe with lions, tigers, pussy cats, and those big white bears, and now she has grappled with the inept Edo.

One question: do I put up my final 8 images in a separate post?

Inept Edo

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

One question: do I put up my final 8 images in a separate post?

Inept Edo

Ed, you're one of the eptest people I know.

If you go to "start new topic" at the top of this page, there's a tab labelled "Poll" next to the usual "content" tab. Looks quite straightforward in there.

• Thanks 1

After you do the poll part you go to the Content tab and that is where you put in the photos. If you manage it all without being confused at some point you are ept-er than I am.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Thanks 1

It's worth doing the poll in two stages Ed. You click on the Poll tab in Start a New Topic. In there you put the title (Time to Vote for... or something like that) and in each of the 8 poll options you put the title of the image and the author. When that is done you publish the topic so all your typing is saved. Then you can edit your poll and add the photos. If something goes wrong in adding the images at least your text is safe.

That said, if you have too much on and you don't have the time to set this up, then I can do it for you. You can send me your 8 finalists and I can do the rest.

• Love 2
  • Like 2