I've fallen off the cliff!

28 minutes ago, Marb said:

Not really been able to get out and take photos as this thing called Lockdown which kind of got in the way. Not pulling any sympathy card but I have also had 8 months of caring for my mother, as well as shielding her who unfortunately passed away 12 days ago so things have been a bit upside down. Sales diminishing too haven't helped.

Sorry to hear that and I sincerely wish you the best. The death of a parent is a very profound event in one's life and can bring up all sorts of stuff in addition to all the rest that is going on. 

However, I don't think you should be pinning your happiness on your Alamy sales. I still recall you using the phrase utterly utterly tragic for lack of sales not so long ago. There are far more important things in life unless one is actually making a living from Alamy sales which for most of us is not the case. You should be able to get out a bit now so enjoy your photography for its own sake first of all. You are a good photographer looking at your portfolio. Best of luck.

47 minutes ago, Marb said:

Not really been able to get out and take photos as this thing called Lockdown which kind of got in the way. Not pulling any sympathy card but I have also had 8 months of caring for my mother, as well as shielding her who unfortunately passed away 12 days ago so things have been a bit upside down. Sales diminishing too haven't helped.

So sorry for your loss, I know how upsetting it is.

Now may be the time to embrace photography as a sort of release - get out there and take some pics! 👍

15 hours ago, Marb said:

Tough time, so sorry to hear this. 

19 hours ago, Marb said:

Sorry to hear it, Marb - it sounds as though you've really been through the mill

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/06/2020 at 08:29, MarkK said:

another month of zero sales....no sales since May 11 and it is now July 9......used to be that every month I had sales and usually a payout.  In the past year the majority of months had zero payouts.  There are many forces working together, imo, some that can be mitigated by Alamy while some being societal.  I have lowered my expectations (and submissions) but hope for better months to come.

July 9th marks another full month of zero sales and uploading of more photos.  It was never like this.  My first two years with Alamy were incredible where I cannot recall a month going by without sales.  Now in the past year the majority of months have had zero sales and overall my sales are less than 25% of last year and the number of sales I dont want to even mention.  Something has fundamentally happened with my account to go from month after month of good sales to month after month after month of zero sales even though I am getting more zooms than in the past.  To top it off I wrote alamy regarding some photos and I received a canned reply saying they wont be replying to emails because of the coronavirus (the email was not about the issue of no sales month after month after month).

another month of zero sales

Lockdown months seemed to be really good for me - the more lockdown eases, the worse it gets for me. 

My zooms rocketed, and sales improved nicely during those restricted times.

Now this month, I have not even had a zoom yet

I'm sure it's all coincidence though :) 

I'm so far behind though. Hundreds of processed images not uploaded. Hundreds of images not processed at all. And still uploading a huge amount of re-processed files, and probably months worth of work going through all my files to check keywords, etc. Trying to make sure I don't get too bogged down in all that so I can enjoy the summer though :D 

But, I am optimistic everything I am doing will improve my chances of performing better here! I just want more months like last month with multiple $$$ sales :D 

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My sales and zooms are normal, but I am not enjoying photography at all now. 🙄

Sorry to hear it, Ed. I'm finding flowers and whatnot quite relaxing. See the nature thread. It's easier in our own garden, but you might find something. Most of our flowers are wild, so it's the sort of thing you might find. Liverpool must have open spaces, or gardens.

Edited by spacecadet

44 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My sales and zooms are normal, but I am not enjoying photography at all now. 🙄

I'm finding all kinds of enjoyment difficult these days. I cheered up a little yesterday when things were more normal... but that was because of passing loud construction noise on my street. I didn't know I missed it. I do so love the activity in this city so its just too odd when it is quiet. I did pass someone speaking French into his phone and that felt good.

Paulette

Lockdown has, of course, been a depressing pain for everyone but for those of us who need to get about for our self-employed work, more difficult. While, in theory, I could have been out and about a bit in the landscape, the five mile restriction in Wales has only just been lifted. I live in a very rural area so meeting folks on my excursions into the wider landscape for the bulk of my non-library and non-urban photography is quite rare. However, I have been a good boyo and kept strictly to the Welsh guidelines until they were relaxed on Monday. In the meantime I have used the enforced studio time wisely by producing three books. The top three on this page: https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/newpage  Apart from 'Silentium' which contains some new work made during the lockdown period in the studio, the other two are of existing work. I spent the time editing and sequencing and putting these together. They will be launched when my postponed one-person exhibition opens finally in August. It was originally planned to open in May. That was a disappointment of course but I have compensated with these books. 

For someone who is as photographically and physically active as me it's been hard but these projects have sustained me and given me a fillip. 'Silentium II' is in progress too. I can't wait to get out there again and pick up projects that have been on hold. I use my work to help get me out of the blues even though it's hard at the time. Producing new work is good.

Pete Davis

Edited by Alamy
Removed excessive self promotion links
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry to hear it, Ed. I'm finding flowers and whatnot quite relaxing. See the nature thread. It's easier in our own garden, but you might find something. Most of our flowers are wild, so it's the sort of thing you might find. Liverpool must have open spaces, or gardens.

I've been doing quite a bit of flower photography myself. I find it soothing. Amazingly, one of my flower images licensed this week, and I've had a couple of others zoomed.

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

After a very good month in June, this one has been very slow so far with only two PU sales.

Weird times we're in...  😷

July has started slowly for me too. Perhaps the reporting delay has caught up with COVID (or vice versa) and I'm now furloughed. 😞

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

July has started slowly for me too. Perhaps the reporting delay has caught up with COVID (or vice versa) and I'm now furloughed. 😞

Yes, reporting seems very uneven now, which isn't surprising given all that's going on.

Maybe the virus is finally starting to bite into my efforts here, I've only had two very low value sales this month to date.  But,  there are plenty of Alamy pics in the Times, so some folk are doing OK.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Maybe the virus is finally starting to bite into my efforts here, I've only had two very low value sales this month to date.  But,  there are plenty of Alamy pics in the Times, so some folk are doing OK.

Misery loves company as they say. I feel much better now. 😄

• Love 2

51 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had 2 in July. Both together add up to medium high $$. Not dismal, but nothing too exciting. The first sale came only a couple of days after it was zoomed.

I've noticed a similar pattern during the past couple of months -- more images licensing soon after being zoomed.