I've fallen off the cliff!

4 hours ago, Marb said:

I actually have a sale for a massive $4.95!!  Tell me again, why is Alamy better than microstock for earnings ? A  ̶r̶a̶c̶e̶   dive to the bottom

Hiya, I don't do Microstock sites so can't really answer your question.  Just to say that I'm sure a lot of us have had smallish sales but at the end of the day they will all mount up😉It could be the one that gets  you over the $50😉

Carol

4 hours ago, Marb said:

I actually have a sale for a massive $4.95!!  Tell me again, why is Alamy better than microstock for earnings ? A  ̶r̶a̶c̶e̶   dive to the bottom

The answer is very simple. On microstock you might have only got 10 cents for that one sale.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig Yates said:

The answer is very simple. On microstock you might have only got 10 cents for that one sale.

which is not absolutely true as I have often double digit sales on Shutterstock. 

6 hours ago, Marb said:

Tell me again, why is Alamy better than microstock for earnings ?

Last month I had an image go out for $350, so $175 to me. Which is $174.90 more than most of the sales on my much-regretted dabble in MS and $164.12 more than my highest ever MS sale.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, stipe said:

which is not absolutely true as I have often double digit sales on Shutterstock. 

Exactly. All Alamy sales of late have been for piddling amounts. And smallish sales don't mount up if its the only sale of the month, and I am lucky to get just one per month of late.

3 hours ago, Marb said:

Exactly. All Alamy sales of late have been for piddling amounts. And smallish sales don't mount up if its the only sale of the month, and I am lucky to get just one per month of late.

Maybe your destiny lies elsewhere? 

I think to avoid some of the lower sales you need to choose wisely how you sell here ........ my last 8 sales .......200, 120, 41, 30, 45, 160, 22, 125.

Alamy Uk only, no distribution, no options. Of course if I was in distribution and options I would have a higher number of sales. But I am happy with my morals this way.

Edited by Panthera tigris
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, British Gent said:

Would anyone be able to drop me a link to an explanation of 'distribution' and 'options'? I've been woefully disinterested in such things for far too long and PT's use of the word morals concerns me!

From your contract:

Distribution {participating in distribution is optional}

1. If you agree to your Images being licensed to end user Customers through any third party appointed by Alamy ('a Distributor'), in territories to which you have given your agreement then all of your Images will be available for sale by Distributors in the territories specified. You confirm your agreement through the Alamy website or by e-mail
  2. Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy's discretion.
  3. You agree that you will specify in which territories you wish your Images to be available. Once these territories have been selected you may deselect all or any of the territories at any time during the month of April in each year through the distribution page of the Alamy website.
  4. You agree that in respect of all sales made by Distributors the Distributor commission as specified in the Alamy Commission Table will apply.
  5. Images supplied to Alamy and signed up to distribution are available to be used free of charge for marketing purposes by the Distributor based in that territory to promote sales of Alamy's Images and/or to enhance awareness of the Alamy name/brand or that of the individual Contributor.

=================================================

Novel use since inception (2008?) has always been around $1.

Newspaper scheme: self-explanatory

Image options: I appear to be opted in but I forgot what it is.

Edited by gvallee

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

From your contract:

Distribution {participating in distribution is optional}

1. Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy's discretion

=================================================

I'm not sure if I am still in the distribution scheme or not as I restricted my images for personal use a while ago ... I seem to remember that if you opt out of personal use then you are not eligible for the distribution scheme ?

28 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I'm not sure if I am still in the distribution scheme or not as I restricted my images for personal use a while ago ... I seem to remember that if you opt out of personal use then you are not eligible for the distribution scheme ?

According to my dashboard, I am still opted in the distribution scheme although I'm out of PU. I think Alamy said we might be excluded from *some* distributors only, if memory serves. Having said that, I have a lot less distro sales these days. Not sure if it's related.

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

According to my dashboard, I am still opted in the distribution scheme although I'm out of PU. I think Alamy said we might be excluded from *some* distributors only, if memory serves. Having said that, I have a lot less distro sales these days. Not sure if it's related.

I will check my dashboard later and see ... but like you, I am seeing hardly any distribution sales since dropping out of PU ....

Even though I am out of distribution, Alamy still occasionally contact me to ask if I would approve a distribution sale as a one off, when a distributor's client has seen an image they want but is not available to the distributor I presume. Its good because they also tell you what the fee is and then I can make a decision (which is usually no). My figuring is if they want it enough they will get it from Alamy UK. Theres very little percentage left for the tog after a distribution sale.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

I will check my dashboard later and see ... but like you, I am seeing hardly any distribution sales since dropping out of PU ....

Same here.

I don't do PU anymore, and I can't remember the last distributor sale I had.

Thanks for all of the above. My sales volume is so low it's probably moot anyway, but just wanted to be sure my lack of scrutiny wasn't harming the business generally. I ended up on this site after a couple of years with micro stock when a friend described the MS model as corrosive to the value of the photographer's skills. Fair enough.

Edited by British Gent
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 11:49, Bella said:

I also average just one sale per month, haven't had one this month yet. I get hardly any zooms, some months I get none, last month no zooms but one sale. I live in hope too haha ;) 

Well done on your sales Bella..For a small but growing quality portfolio, you have good stock subject variety..keep it up, you inspire others.

ATB Bill

• Love 1

I try to be optimistic, but it's been two weeks without a sale for me and this is really rare. I have over 15,000 images here and over 3,000 on the partner iphone pic site S******o, but. . . crickets. I'm open to an end of the month rush of sales (please!) 🤞

3 hours ago, Gina Kelly said:

I try to be optimistic, but it's been two weeks without a sale for me and this is really rare. I have over 15,000 images here and over 3,000 on the partner iphone pic site S******o, but. . . crickets. I'm open to an end of the month rush of sales (please!) 🤞

Its been a rough month for me as well, Gina.  I’m at 50% of an average month and prices are the lowest ever for me.   I am hoping that it is just a reflection of the publishing industry slow down during this pandemic. Fingers crossed that sales will improve in the months to come!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

I'll whisper it quietly.... but i'm having the best month for sales since December last year and the best month for revenue since July last year.

John.

Seems like Stoke is the "in" place at the moment.😊

Allan