I've fallen off the cliff!

Two sales in May, one in June, and so far, nada in July.  But my British friend and I have been talking on the phone daily and making each other laugh.  Our helper's daughter is two today, and I gave him a doll that I'd been using for a lighting test model yesterday and today saw photos of her with the doll, playing with it and cuddling with it as she slept.   He has off this afternoon for her birthday party with piñata.  His parents gave him a lot on their finca to build a starter house, which is sided with zinc roofing material for now, but which could be rebuilt in the future into something better since he owns the land.

One of these days, I'll climb up to my studio and take some still lifes of various things. 

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

To add to this lackluster month, just had a two month old Personal Use get refunded.  P.U.’s should not be refundable.

(correction, it was one month old not two)

I often wonder what reasons PU image buyers give when asking for refunds after such long periods of time.

What could be a valid excuse for wanting a refund after two months?

• Like 2

Should be a limit of one week for a refund.

Anyway, despite my BME last month, and the great amount of zooms have had over the previous few months, July is looking utterly dreadful. And not just here. Not even a single zoom this month, no sales here or anywhere else. Been a long time since things were this slow for me.

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I often wonder what reasons PU image buyers give when asking for refunds after such long periods of time.

What could be a valid excuse for wanting a refund after two months?

Not only that, but once they gave the file, they have the file, even if they return it, or a version of it?

CC

• Love 1

I really think that at this point of this  thread that there is a need for some realisation.

THE CLIFF NO LONGER EXISTS.

You are now on the beach watching waves coming in eating away at your toes.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Craig Yates said:

4 sales yesterday brings me to 8 so far for this month.

If the cliff no longer exists, i must be standing on the dry part of the beach.😉

I could do with a boost.....care to share the total value to you of those 4 sales yesterday.

How would it compare to a day at work on the minimum wage?

Edited by geogphotos

37 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I could do with a boost.....care to share the total value to you of those 4 sales yesterday.

How would it compare to a day at work on the minimum wage?

3 @ $27.42. 1@ $5.94. Minimum wage wins hands down.

3 minutes ago, Craig Yates said:

3 @ $27.42. 1@ $5.94. Minimum wage wins hands down.

If every day was like that it would be okay. 

For most people contributing to Alamy it isn't a business its just a bit of fun and some pin money. 

But I suppose it is a fun game for us to play.

Absolutely dead. Nothing.

And yet I am getting consistently  healthy microstock sales, some single sales that are bigger in earnings than most sales had here of late.

Edited by Marb
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, geogphotos said:

If every day was like that it would be okay. 

For most people contributing to Alamy it isn't a business its just a bit of fun and some pin money. 

But I suppose it is a fun game for us to play.

Freelance work is almost always a trade-off. You are forfeiting secure income for the opportunity to do something you enjoy and the freedom to set your own hours. As far as the low earnings from stock go, it's all relative. My regular monthly Alamy payouts (usually in the US $200 - $500 range) are a really helpful boost to my pensions. However, as discussed in other threads, anyone younger who is hoping to make a livable income from stock photography these days is out of luck. But, yes, it can be a fun game to play, as long as you don't keep track of all the hours you spend on it. 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 2

Well, two weeks in and only two sales.  I'm officially in the doldrums.  Or the cliff got a lot steeper.  Even my two other MS efforts have each yielded more than twice the revenue so far this month compared to here.

Edited by Reimar

I can't compare to other folk on this site - I'm lucky to average a sale a month - but after three sales in April I've had nothing since. I haven't had a dry spell like this for a few years now and it's  pretty disappointing. I'm chalking it up to the global downturn and reminding myself that there's a big difference between losing a few dollars a month and losing your livelihood (or worse). But July's not over yet. I live in hope.

• Love 1

I afraid I'm on a different cliff and well back from the edge.  11 sales so far this month, averaging $25.94 per sale and zooms are going through the roof with 87 to date, already higher than 8 of the last twelve months and still half the month to go.  So, don't despair, buyers are obviously still searching, zooming and buying - providing you have what they want.

• Like 1

Three for a total of $50.50 (isn't everything?). 

Year to date, about 50% of last year's sales and 25% of revenue.

I like the zooms, though. Might make a casserole of them for dinner.

22 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I afraid I'm on a different cliff and well back from the edge.  11 sales so far this month, averaging $25.94 per sale and zooms are going through the roof with 87 to date, already higher than 8 of the last twelve months and still half the month to go.  So, don't despair, buyers are obviously still searching, zooming and buying - providing you have what they want.

I had four more sales (all dependable repeat sellers) trickle in this week, so all is not lost. 😂

• Love 1

On 17/07/2020 at 06:17, British Gent said:

I can't compare to other folk on this site - I'm lucky to average a sale a month - but after three sales in April I've had nothing since. I haven't had a dry spell like this for a few years now and it's  pretty disappointing. I'm chalking it up to the global downturn and reminding myself that there's a big difference between losing a few dollars a month and losing your livelihood (or worse). But July's not over yet. I live in hope.

I also average just one sale per month, haven't had one this month yet. I get hardly any zooms, some months I get none, last month no zooms but one sale. I live in hope too haha ;) 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 04:30, British Gent said:

Bella, one sale per month with fewer than a thousand images uploaded is pretty good! Keep the submissions coming.

Thanks BG, I've been uploading quite a bit lately... I will try to push my average to two a month :D With just six this year I need one real soon to keep the one a month average!!