I've fallen off the cliff!

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

So yesterday was one of those mysterious "bank holidays" in the UK. Plus it was Memorial Day in the US. A double whammy, so to speak. Hopefully, there will be an end-of-month surge this week. Wouldn't know it today, though. 😐

Otherwise known as ‘public holidays’ but everyone refers to them as ‘bank holidays’. 

Liberal politician and banker Sir John Lubbock introduced the Bank Holidays Act in 1871 which set out the days banks were closed for trading. Banks still close on these days but nowadays most shops (excepting at the moment!) stay open.

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Otherwise known as ‘public holidays’ but everyone refers to them as ‘bank holidays’. 

Liberal politician and banker Sir John Lubbock introduced the Bank Holidays Act in 1871 which set out the days banks were closed for trading. Banks still close on these days but nowadays most shops (excepting at the moment!) stay open.

Thanks for this. I lived in London for awhile a kid, and I remember my parents mentioning "bank holidays". In Canada, Banks are too greedy to take a holiday. 😉

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

I've had six web news sales in today, being what I'd call typically end of month 'surge' licences. Less than usual, and small amounts. I'd love more, but that might well be it. 😞

That's good to hear. I just checked my sales report for the umpteenth time and saw that a mid $$ sale has been invoiced today.

Whew! I was starting to get a bit worried there. 😂

• Love 2

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for this. I lived in London for awhile a kid, and I remember my parents mentioning "bank holidays". In Canada, Banks are too greedy to take a holiday. 😉

I know a couple in Canada who work in the banking business and one of them travels the world on banking business. Both pretty high up.

Allan

The sales are still doing ok, though pretty low (lots of ever decreasing low value sales for online editorial pics), but the balance clearance is not.

My current cleared balance is so pathetic that I'm no longer motivated to submit pics, even though thousands are still sitting on my hard drives.

I'm a full time photographer and almost all of my client work has been cancelled since late February. Some of the larger clients have kindly already re-booked for late autumn/winter which is lovely, but many don't know if they can commit to dates yet. So in theory, I have a lot of time to shoot and edit stock (I'm not really doing any news at the moment as I don't consider much of what is being distributed as 'key worker' worthy and do not want to contribute to the spread of this virus). In practice, clearance is so low that it is absolutely not worth even using the equipment risking more wear and tear daily, paying for fast upload speed internet, paying my photographer's insurances, etc. The nearly 25k Alamy images are sitting there idly or are being sold for peanuts. It makes more financial sense to ride it out doing non-photography paying work which pays well,  and return to decent-pay client photography work as and when I can later in the year, sadly.

In terms of the pricing trend, let's face it this will not reverse, it's bargain basement and only really makes sense as a little hobby on the side to supplement travel plans etc.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

another month of zero sales....no sales since May 11 and it is now July 9......used to be that every month I had sales and usually a payout.  In the past year the majority of months had zero payouts.  There are many forces working together, imo, some that can be mitigated by Alamy while some being societal.  I have lowered my expectations (and submissions) but hope for better months to come.

July 9th marks another full month of zero sales and uploading of more photos.  It was never like this.  My first two years with Alamy were incredible where I cannot recall a month going by without sales.  Now in the past year the majority of months have had zero sales and overall my sales are less than 25% of last year and the number of sales I dont want to even mention.  Something has fundamentally happened with my account to go from month after month of good sales to month after month after month of zero sales even though I am getting more zooms than in the past.  To top it off I wrote alamy regarding some photos and I received a canned reply saying they wont be replying to emails because of the coronavirus (the email was not about the issue of no sales month after month after month).

Edited by MarkK
another month of zero sales

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I fell off a mini-cliff today. After four $$$ licenses in a row this month, three low $ sales (two of them "unmentionables") showed up today.

Still, I'm not complaining. That's just the way it goes. 🙄

Ha, that sounds more like you stubbed your toe on a rock.  My June has not been very stellar so far.

On 11/06/2020 at 11:19, spacecadet said:

It's the 11th.

And now the 15th and still no sale. And I can bet on the 1st of July I will be have 2 months of zero sales 

Edited by Marb

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

And now the 15th and still no sale. And I can bet on the 1st of July I will be have 2 months of zero sales 

It must be hard to find a new choice of words to say exactly the same thing, over and over again...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marb said:

Win Win situation. Can't lose either way 

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

It must be hard to find a new choice of words to say exactly the same thing, over and over again...

Anyone else want to stick the boot in while I”m down ? 

23 minutes ago, Marb said:

It's a lovely day out there today (here, anyway). Get out there and add a zero to the number of images you have for sale.

26 minutes ago, Marb said:

There's obviously a gap between what is happening... and what you want to happen. In an attempt to bridge this gap, you could upload more pix, or lower your expectations of financial gain, or give up and turn your hand to something more rewarding. But just to repeat, month after month, that your collection of Alamy pix isn't producing the income you'd like, is a) predictable, and b) kinda boring...

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

46 minutes ago, Marb said:

Sometimes a kick in the ass can be just what someone needs to wake them up but I think that will not work for poor ole Marb. You know I have had one $3 sale this month but that is not what is bothering me.  The thing that is getting me down most is that I literally feel like I have fallen off a cliff - the after effects of Covid-19 have left me drained of energy. And there are a lot lot worse than me, including 60,000 at least in the UK alone and many more worldwide who are no longer even able to feel depressed because their lives are over as they dropped off the cliff in the last few months. You do really need help man if you think it is the lack of a few miserable sales on Alamy that is causing your depression. Time to wake up. Life is short.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Marb said:

Ian, the number of pics in your port has stayed the same for months now.  I've added 600 since April, not many compared to some contributors, but a lot for me.  Get out there and start shooting and uploading pics.  Not uploading new images isn't helping in your quest for sales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Ian, the number of pics in your port has stayed the same for months now.  I've added 600 since April, not many compared to some contributors, but a lot for me.  Get out there and start shooting and uploading pics.  Not uploading new images isn't helping in your quest for sales.

6 hours ago, MDM said:

Sometimes a kick in the ass can be just what someone needs to wake them up but I think that will not work for poor ole Marb. You know I have had one $3 sale this month but that is not what is bothering me.  The thing that is getting me down most is that I literally feel like I have fallen off a cliff - the after effects of Covid-19 have left me drained of energy. And there are a lot lot worse than me, including 60,000 at least in the UK alone and many more worldwide who are no longer even able to feel depressed because their lives are over as they dropped off the cliff in the last few months. You do really need help man if you think it is the lack of a few miserable sales on Alamy that is causing your depression. Time to wake up. Life is short.

Not really been able to get out and take photos as this thing called Lockdown which kind of got in the way. Not pulling any sympathy card but I have also had 8 months of caring for my mother, as well as shielding her who unfortunately passed away 12 days ago so things have been a bit upside down. Sales diminishing too haven't helped.