The Image Manager thread

Is caption still searchable?

Yes.

Don't you have an image to test that with?

Of course you have: HH5EFB does have national in the caption, but not in the keywords.

wim

Wim,

Not all my keywords are shown.  I have 16 in total and only 10 show.

And now I'm puzzled, why for some images there are more tags shown on the main search results page and way less for others?

In the top left where it reads "All submissions    Images ....." Mine says I have 10916 which is incorrect. I had suspected this is including deleted images. I just checked under a pseudo I previously used for moving images into that I wanted to delete, this still shows a preview of the images I deleted back in 2013. Why are they still there? Why are they included in the number of images count? 

My number seems to include uploads that failed so is not the same number that I have on sale.

Paulette

thanks Paulette, interesting failed uploads are included too - surely all anyone wants to see is the images that are actually on sale here and those awaiting being put on sale. 

Alamy have now added an "All on sale" option to the Discoverability filter, so failures and deletions can be excluded. Looks like tweaks are still ongoing.

Edit: On another matter, following an email to CR all of my images are now showing in AIM. Thanks Alamy.

Yes.

Of course you have: HH5EFB does have national in the caption, but not in the keywords.

wim

Wim,

Not all my keywords are shown.  I have 16 in total and only 10 show

Oops sorry.

That is weird. I have noticed some of mine don't show, but why a keyword like national won't show?

Weird.

I wished not all my keyphrases would show. With all keywords showing alphabetically, scraping was not completely one on one. Now it's only because of the chaos that it's not too simple.

At the moment I have three completely different sets: the keywords as I have put them in; the keywords after refreshing MI and the keywords on the client's side. All totally different.

wim

Yes.

wim

Wim,

Not all my keywords are shown.  I have 16 in total and only 10 show

Oops sorry.

That is weird. I have noticed some of mine don't show, but why a keyword like national won't show?

Weird.

I wished not all my keyphrases would show. With all keywords showing alphabetically, scraping was not completely one on one. Now it's only because of the chaos that it's not too simple.

At the moment I have three completely different sets: the keywords as I have put them in; the keywords after refreshing MI and the keywords on the client's side. All totally different.

wim

yes, exactly.

An issue I've seen this morning is that of "clipping" of words in some of my images despite no evidence of such in the new IM.

What I'm seeing is that zooming through on my image from the search engine some keywords shown are clipped. I have Thailand showing as tha, and congested showing as co. Etc etc

Anyone else seeing this?

I have seen this both in MI and on the zoom page on the client's side.

It took me a while to figure out where the ones on the MI side came from, but it is very simple:

If you put in more than 30 characters, then everything over 30 gets deleted. Leaving a clipped word.

And those show up on the client's side as well.

The really weird thing is that I have some on the client's side that are not in MI.

On legacy images (images with legacy keywords) the problems stem from interpunction that the new system sees as a tag delimiter. As we have seen this can be an apostrophe or a comma or a semicolon. It then goes searching for the next and throws out everything that's over 30 characters. Really bad of course. However it's not doing it the same all the time. Like I had apostrophes go through and deleted in the same image.

I do not know how the system is treating keywords from Photoshop or Bridge or any other program that allows 64 characters. Which also happens to be the IPTC standard.

Why the builders did not adhere to the standard is anybody's guess.

wim

I never go over 30 characters and that's what's confusing. The examples I gave (Thailand and congested) were single tag keywords.

"Co" seems to occur often as a clipping of couple, country etc.

The problem is that it's only identifiable by zooming all your images! And the it's non correctable.

In the top left where it reads "All submissions    Images ....." Mine says I have 10916 which is incorrect. I had suspected this is including deleted images. I just checked under a pseudo I previously used for moving images into that I wanted to delete, this still shows a preview of the images I deleted back in 2013. Why are they still there? Why are they included in the number of images count? 

My number seems to include uploads that failed so is not the same number that I have on sale.

Paulette

thanks Paulette, interesting failed uploads are included too - surely all anyone wants to see is the images that are actually on sale here and those awaiting being put on sale. 

On another matter, following an email to CR all of my images are now showing in AIM. Thanks Alamy.

Me too.

I was told by Alamy that once we had the new tools, phrases would be respected by the search engine. Well that is not happening. One of my images of a missing roof tile is coming up in searches for "tiles". I do not have "tiles" as a single tag or a word in the caption. I only have multi-word tags such as "missing tiles", "tile missing", etc..

Words •within* phrases are still searchable...

Phrases are respected , in the sense that if your existing images or  newly uploaded images a have a keyword phrase delimited by commas, then those phrases are renedered intact as a new 'tag'

Nowhere have i seen Alamy state that the component elements of a phrasal tag would not be searchable

km

Why does the new image manager mess the keywords up and just put bits of them in??? (I think Wim has mentioned this)

Yesterday for example i keyworded "south Africa" as a supertag - today on looking at my keywords for those images some of them just have "So" as a supertag!

Also some have "museum" as "mu" today?? - these are just examples and it seems to be happening quite ofetn!

AARGHHHHHHHHH! Its bad enough having to go back and re-keyword individual images with the new MI without then having to go back again and check them!!!

Kumar

It has to be bad

When Kumar gets mad

Cheer up man - it's bound to get fixed.

Instead of beta testing, get out and make pics? B)

Alamy can keep the new MI.

Give us the old one back until you iron out faults and embrace the suggestions of the contributors on these forum pages.

Allan

Give us the old one back until you iron out faults and embrace the suggestions of the contributors on these forum pages.

Allan

Personally I prefer the new version but I'm not hampered by some of the problems with lots of keywords on old images.

So giving people the option which to use would be preferable.

I think that for new uploads the new version will be a great step forward.  It's sorting our 1000's of existing images that are a problem.  

I'm sure the Alamy team will be taking note of the problems discussed on here and will amend the new I.M. where possible.

For me, the biggest problem is duplicates.  Alamy tell me that it will not be possible to mass remove duplicates.  

With this in mind, I've asked Alamy if they could add an option of choosing the order that tags are displayed.

If one of the options was alphabetical order, the duplicates will be easier to identify being next to each other.

I think that for new uploads the new version will be a great step forward.  It's sorting our 1000's of existing images that are a problem.  

I'm sure the Alamy team will be taking note of the problems discussed on here and will amend the new I.M. where possible.

For me, the biggest problem is duplicates.  Alamy tell me that it will not be possible to mass remove duplicates.  

With this in mind, I've asked Alamy if they could add an option of choosing the order that tags are displayed.

If one of the options was alphabetical order, the duplicates will be easier to identify being next to each other.

Very good idea. Alphabetical would also help in checking whether a keyword has been added or overlooked (though I know it is possible to see alphabetical in preview view).

Paulette

Well i'm not rushing to re-sort all my keywords. I changed a few yesterday including The Flatiron building in New York and made a few changes and added some 3 and 4 word supertags (Flatiron building, Flatiron building New York, etc) and my image that was on line 3 of the first page has dropped off the first page altogether using the same search as yesterday.

What is that all about??

Allan

Disagree I think all the changes are very positive, and I will be embracing the changes.

An issue I've seen this morning is that of "clipping" of words in some of my images despite no evidence of such in the new IM.

What I'm seeing is that zooming through on my image from the search engine some keywords shown are clipped. I have Thailand showing as tha, and congested showing as co. Etc etc

Anyone else seeing this?

I have seen this both in MI and on the zoom page on the client's side.

It took me a while to figure out where the ones on the MI side came from, but it is very simple:

If you put in more than 30 characters, then everything over 30 gets deleted. Leaving a clipped word.

And those show up on the client's side as well.

The really weird thing is that I have some on the client's side that are not in MI.

On legacy images (images with legacy keywords) the problems stem from interpunction that the new system sees as a tag delimiter. As we have seen this can be an apostrophe or a comma or a semicolon. It then goes searching for the next and throws out everything that's over 30 characters. Really bad of course. However it's not doing it the same all the time. Like I had apostrophes go through and deleted in the same image.

I do not know how the system is treating keywords from Photoshop or Bridge or any other program that allows 64 characters. Which also happens to be the IPTC standard.

Why the builders did not adhere to the standard is anybody's guess.

wim

I've spotted this on the images I've tagged in the new system but on words of less than 30 characters. For example for HEY9KR the tags I have are...

• Berlin
  • Berliner Weihnachtszeit
  • Christmas market
  • german christmas market
  • christmas market
  • Berlin christmas market
  • stall
  • German
  • christmas market stall
  • Germany
  • sausages
  • cooking
  • frying
  • christmas market food
  • food christmas market

But visible on Alamy are...

berlin, berliner weihnachtszeit, christmas market, christmas market food, cooking, food christmas market, frying, ge, germany, sausages

So 'German' has been clipped to 'Ge' and also I've lost 5 tags, in fact all of the images I've re-tagged are missing tags. I've asked the question to CR to see what they say. Just to note that if I search for 'Ge' and my name in the advanced search it doesn't find this image which makes me think this is only visibility and it's not the actual tag.

Edit to add that I do actually like the new tools, way easier to work with.

I can't help feeling that Alamy should have bought in Google site search (a decade ago) and utilised all Google's expertise which includes stemming, sounds like, misspellings, synonyms, accents and foreign languages etc.

I appreciate that search is a potential competitive edge, but only if you start from state of the art. Which Google is.

That would have solved all the problems, without us adapting loads of images every time the goalposts move!

I'm of the opinion that it's not worth me updating my old pictures, given the time involved in doing so, for the limited returns. 

Also questioning the validity of submitting new stuff, for the same reason!

After discovering how long it takes to go back to old images and add new phrases, choose categories, decide whether or not to sell as editorial only, etc., etc., I'm starting to think that it isn't worth all the time and effort. My images seem to still be doing well in search results, and sales are happening. Consequently, I'll probably just do some minor fiddling here and there now and then. Life's too short...

Guess what? The subject is "pine marten" and nowhere is that phrase - which is also a supertag - to be found in the image pages (viewable for clients). Of the 37 tags 3 supertags are missing and marten shows as mart  :blink: 

Cheers,

Philippe

marten, mart, marty... maybe Alamy are just adding nicknames to your tags?

Allan

Disagree I think all the changes are very positive, and I will be embracing the changes.

You are clearly not affected by the clipped keywords bug in that case.

Archived