I have been waiting on the database to update since last Thursday to do some testing too. I thought it was just me.

Anyway, what I think is this… there is no such things as Supertags and Tags…that is just Alamy marketing.

Why do I say this, well I use Jim Kiers Lightroom plugin to manage my Alamy images. I expected it to break with all the changes to Supertags and Tags. But to my amazement it hasn’t broken, it is still working perfectly (it’s the only software around here that isn’t broken at the moment). But here is the crucial bit the Essential keywords fields in Lightroom it lists all the Supertags for each image and in the Main Keywords it list all the Tags. The tool never did list all the comprehensive keywords in Lightroom. But if you switch to the IPTC metadata tab it shows the Comprehensive keyword count for all images to be zero (after you export the metadata from Alamy if you haven’t updated it in a while). So if any of the fields within the Alamy system had changed name from say Essential to Supertag then the Lightroom plugin would have fallen over, but that hasn’t happened.

So in Summary all Alamy have done is removed Comprehensive keywords and changed the quantity and restrictions on the Supertags (Essential) and Tags (Main). They mainly done this through the user interface. The fields etc in the underlying code remain the same. Now given that its plain to everbody that the user interface has not been executed to a high standard with all the documented basic features like cut, paste, delete missing and bugs like truncations etc I was wondering if the search engine code has really just been tinkered with a little as well.

I’m speculating but perhaps the search engine tinkering wasn’t done by the original author and so something has been missed. Something like the 50 character limit on the essential keywords. Perhaps the 50 character limit wasn’t just an error checking function on the user interface but also a restriction in the search engine which is still in place. That could be a reason for the inconsistencies in Supertags. Lots of Supertags and below 50 characters total = ok. More than 50 characters, multiple words = ignored. Then there is the added negative that because they are ignored as supertags they can also no longer exist as normal tags when tagging under the new system so it’s a double whammy.

I prepared a test for this theory last week, but as the database hasn’t updated well…..

+1 Calum.

Your understanding of the underlying keyword string confirms what I have been seeing with joining of keywords in legacy images. Two of my legacy keywords sometimes seem to join into one keyword at the same place in the keyword string.

I agree the basic underlying Alamy keyword input format has always been, and probably still is, keyword1,keyword2,keyword3. This makes sense as it is standard computer database input format.

In the old Image Manager when I keyworded in Bridge the entire keyword string came into the bottom box as keyword1,keyword2,keyword3.

I then cut and pasted keywords from the third box into essentials etc. However in the cutting and pasting operation, I sometimes accidentally removed the comma. This occasionally resulted in the following. Keyword1 in essential box. Keyword2 with no terminating comma in the second order box. Keyword3 left where it was originally. The loss of the comma terminating Keyword2 was not apparent by looking at box 2.

Keyword3 was a marker keyword usually a not important geographic keyword like “Canada” positioned in Bridge to make my cutting and pasting easier.

The joining in legacy images has mostly happened at the boundary between second order keywords and third order keywords in the old image manager. This results in a join of 2 keywords in the new Image Manager like “dogCanada”. dog being the last keyword (without the separating comma) in the second box, and Canada being the first keyword in the third box.

This is probably why we get reports of real legacy keyword screwups if photographers tried to copy and paste the same long keyword string in all 3 boxes under the old image manager.

This keyword joining has probably been going on under the old image manager since I joined Alamy in 2004. Glad I can fix it now.

So the question is how does Alamy mark the underlying imported keyword string keyword1,keyword2,keyword3 in the new Image manager when photographers designate supertags from all of the imported tags regardless of import order? Does the Image Manager divide the original comma separated keyword string into a supertab string and a tab string. Are there character count limits for each string? If 10 supertab string is over a undocumented character limit does the Alamy Image Manager ignore the over the limit characters?

Overloading any software will often cause problems. Do maximum word phrases in all 50 tabs overload the new Image Manager? If power keyworders are running up against an undocumented system character limit, then there should be a pop up warning box, or at least Alamy should document the limit. 

I've been doing some tagging today, and noticed that some of my longer tags are no longer being truncated. They used to sometimes show truncated after changing tags to supertags, saving, deselecting then selecting again. However, several longer multi-word supertags now appear to be fine, including the exact same ones that I kept having problems with before.

Is anyone else seeing this bug as fixed please?

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Still getting truncated tags also the order of uploaded images is different in IM to how they appear in search.

Do apostrophes  count ?? apply? is the new search engine stemming or not?

Jon

Sorry Geoff I should have said it was for a batch of legacy images that MS replaced for me that may me the 

reason but MS said that it should resolve with an update of AIM

Jon

I am getting good results with a minimum of 42 keywords and 10 super tags. The image consistently achieves good discoverability with the 42 and 10.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone

I am brand new to the site and am confused by the tag feature in the Image Manager. I want to put in tags separately for each photo, but at the moment it seems tags are only for submitted sets as a whole. Is this correct, or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks a lot

18 hours ago, WarrenL said:

Hi everyone

I am brand new to the site and am confused by the tag feature in the Image Manager. I want to put in tags separately for each photo, but at the moment it seems tags are only for submitted sets as a whole. Is this correct, or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks a lot

Select individual or multiple photos using the tick box.

20 hours ago, WarrenL said:

Hi everyone

Thanks a lot

Have you looked at this?  http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/7028-instructions-help-video-and-links-for-new-alamy-image-manager/

Paulette

Edited by NYCat