The Image Manager thread

I am tagging using Safari on a Mac with a fast cable modem connection. I cannot detect the dropping tags, or tags truncated problem in the approximately 5,000 images I have already updated. 

Believe me I checked back, because I have solid 2 weeks already invested in the tagging.

I usually only select under 5 images at a time to work on. I also save my changes frequently. Sometimes I will save different changes to the same image 3 or 4 times. Maybe twice when doing tags, save again when going RM to RF, save again when selecting supertags. I have noticed that if I select 50 images to do a mass RM to RF change, that change is not applied to all images.

I often have 10 supertags per image, and long supertags like “UNESCO World Heritage Site” without a problem.

Could It be the browser, operating system, the internet connection, trying to work on too many images at once, accessing a busy Alamy system, that could be causing problems? I am tagging 10AM-5PM Toronto Time.

I work on 1 image at a time. Sometimes just 1 or 2 tags, sometimes changing all keywords in one go. Problems with breaking up tags; truncating words; reversing word order appear totally random.

However tags with 2 letter words almost always break. I have had tags containing United States or USA break frequently. Three letter words seem also to induce breaking sometimes.

But mostly totally random. Always after everything looked good after saving.

All this has happened before saving also, but then I have just started over until it was either ok at saving or I had to give up.

I happen to think it's a clumsy fiddly extremely time consuming tool, but it should bloody well work as advertised. On any particular time.

wim

It may be the way your operating system, your browser, and Image Manager all interact.

You may want to try changing your browser. Use the one that came with your operating system, if you are not already using it.

Sorry, no I actually don't want to change my browser.

Firefox is a very good tool with really useful add-ons that I have used for many years and usually is (and always has been) much more compliant than some of the others that come with the respective operating systems, read: Edge; IE; Chrome and Safari.

All of which I have used (Safari) or am still using (the rest) at the moment, just not for keywording.

wim

Wim:

There is a recent discussion here of IM problems with Firefox

Yes that's a problem that has been reported a couple of times, albeit with the 150 char limit of regular stock.

I did not know it was browser related. Interesting!

My problems are not browser related. All is well in the browser at input and after saving.

Only after refresh of the database the breaking or truncating appears.

wim

I am tagging using Safari on a Mac with a fast cable modem connection. I cannot detect the dropping tags, or tags truncated problem in the approximately 5,000 images I have already updated. 

Believe me I checked back, because I have solid 2 weeks already invested in the tagging.

I usually only select under 5 images at a time to work on. I also save my changes frequently. Sometimes I will save different changes to the same image 3 or 4 times. Maybe twice when doing tags, save again when going RM to RF, save again when selecting supertags. I have noticed that if I select 50 images to do a mass RM to RF change, that change is not applied to all images.

I often have 10 supertags per image, and long supertags like “UNESCO World Heritage Site” without a problem.

Could It be the browser, operating system, the internet connection, trying to work on too many images at once, accessing a busy Alamy system, that could be causing problems? I am tagging 10AM-5PM Toronto Time.

I work on 1 image at a time. Sometimes just 1 or 2 tags, sometimes changing all keywords in one go. Problems with breaking up tags; truncating words; reversing word order appear totally random.

However tags with 2 letter words almost always break. I have had tags containing United States or USA break frequently. Three letter words seem also to induce breaking sometimes.

But mostly totally random. Always after everything looked good after saving.

All this has happened before saving also, but then I have just started over until it was either ok at saving or I had to give up.

I happen to think it's a clumsy fiddly extremely time consuming tool, but it should bloody well work as advertised. On any particular time.

wim

It may be the way your operating system, your browser, and Image Manager all interact.

You may want to try changing your browser. Use the one that came with your operating system, if you are not already using it.

Sorry, no I actually don't want to change my browser.

Firefox is a very good tool with really useful add-ons that I have used for many years and usually is (and always has been) much more compliant than some of the others that come with the respective operating systems, read: Edge; IE; Chrome and Safari.

All of which I have used (Safari) or am still using (the rest) at the moment, just not for keywording.

wim

Wim:

There is a recent discussion here of IM problems with Firefox

Yes that's a problem that has been reported a couple of times, albeit with the 150 char limit of regular stock.

I did not know it was browser related. Interesting!

My problems are not browser related. All is well in the browser at input and after saving.

Only after refresh of the database the breaking or truncating appears.

wim

Isn't it hard to be sure of that? Maybe the data saved isn't quite the same between browsers. Then, when Alamy's system parses the saved data to do the overnight update the differences reveal themselves? Obviously if the overnight update is just a copy and replace from one database to another, there shouldn't be any effect, but who knows what data handling/parsing Alamy may be doing during the update process? Given the current mess, I'd say anything's possible.

Maybe we could all agree on one thing: those glitches should not happen.

Maybe even on another thing:

They are not our fault.

Or even a third:

We should not be scurrying around to find all sorts of workarounds.

(Although I do think photographers usually are of a pretty resilient and problem solving nature.

Very positive traits that could very well be harnessed by Alamy.)

wim

Here's a weird one.  This is a screenshot with my earliest submission selected - the first four submissions weren't uploaded by me but were held by another agency and were placed on Alamy (and keyworded) by them.  When the agency ceased trading they were transferred to my Alamy account.

You can see from the screenshot that it says there are two images in the submission (underlined) but each image is duplicated and each pair have the same file names and same Alamy ref. numbers.  If I select the right hand version of each image the 'tags' are in English but if I select the left version the tags change to German (as shown).

This only occurs on the first four submissions as far as I can tell (the next agency submission doesn't show this) but I haven't looked at all 422 submissions yet...!

AIM-01_zpscqskc95j.jpg

I have this phrase.

"Slice apple pie" with these images on page one,

top row #3,

13 row #2,

19 row #3,

25 row #3,

31 row #2.

"Apple pie slice" all on page one

row 7 #2,

row 13 #1,

row 19 #2,

row 25 #2.

I have both of those phrases, along with "apple pie" also "piece apple pie" and "apple pie piece"

Word order within a phrase makes a difference.

Betty

Edited to add..these are on my iPad, so will probably look different on my iMac.

Edit #2.. these phrases are supertags.

I have this phrase.

top row #3,

13 row #2,

19 row #3,

25 row #3,

31 row #2.

row 7 #2,

row 13 #1,

row 19 #2,

row 25 #2.

I have both of those phrases, along with "apple pie" also "piece apple pie" and "apple pie piece"

Betty

Edited to add..these are on my iPad, so will probably look different on my iMac.

Hi Betty,

I expected order of words within a phrase to be important.

Out of interest what was the search term you used for these tests and was it in quotes?

Also I note HMGRRA, HMGRR6, HMGRRB all have the phrase "apple pie se". Is that a typo, or is "se" a standard term, or one of those pesky truncated phrases?

Maybe se stands for "Serious Eat". I'm hungry already! Update - Suddenly I find myself eating an apple.

Mark

Hi All

Just checked 14 similar images in IM it reported that tags were different across all images so I selected all tags to be same pressed save then one tag is truncated whats going on they were OK before.

Fast giving up the will to live with this new system why change when the old one was so easy .

Regards

Jon

Keith mentioned in another thread that there is some sort of undisclosed limit on total characters and that is what is causing the truncating of words. I sure wish Alamy would tell us these things. Thank you, Keith. Sorry I can't remember where he said that.

Paulette

Not very interesting but when I expand the sheet in AIM to two columns everything under "Mandatory" disappears. Clicking back and forth between mandatory and "Optional" does not make the details appear either. When I click on optional all the information which should be there is there. Still nothing under mandatory when I click on that though. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Arrrrgh!  Another bug. :huh:

I'm going home. Oh! I am home. :wacko:

Allan

EDIT: Just fired off an email to CR and await reply.

ITMA

If you scroll down you'll probably find your keywords are hiding off the bottom of the screen, even though the right hand screen is full of empty space. That's where they are for me. Useless.

Spot on! Thanks for the information.

As you say, "USELESS"

Allan

Update.

Emailed CR and this was their reply.

Hi Allan

This seems to be a small display issue.

Your information Is still there, you just need to scroll down to see it.

We have passed this over to our team to have a look at and hopefully there should be a fix in place soon.

Thanks,

Shelley

Allan

I have this phrase.

top row #3,

13 row #2,

19 row #3,

25 row #3,

31 row #2.

row 7 #2,

row 13 #1,

row 19 #2,

row 25 #2.

Betty

Hi Betty,

I expected order of words within a phrase to be important.

Out of interest what was the search term you used for these tests and was it in quotes?

Also I note HMGRRA, HMGRR6, HMGRRB all have the phrase "apple pie se". Is that a typo, or is "se" a standard term, or one of those pesky truncated phrases?

Maybe se stands for "Serious Eat". I'm hungry already! Update - Suddenly I find myself eating an apple.

Mark

Mark, the search term was exactly apple pie slice, slice apple pie, no quotes.

Thanks for pointing out "se" because that's a mistake the update obviously caused. No Americanism, lol. Now I get to figure out what the tag was.

Betty

Apologies if this has been covered already in this discussion.  I got as far as page 9 of 37 & started to lose the will to live.  Have just received the new IM today.  It seems that the overwhelming number of my images that had phrases separated by commas are now broken up into individual words, which its going to take me ages to rectify.  Anyone else have this problem & found a solution?  Some are going to come up against the 30 character 4 word bar like war of the Spanish succession, but others are as simple as Lord Alderman being broken into 2 words.

Also I am trying to assign a category to 1051 images in one of my pseudonyms, but the only option I get is select the first 500 passed.  Once I've done those I can't see any way of doing the rest short of selecting them individually.

Any ideas?

I have emailed CR but just wondered if anyone else had these problems.

ATB,  David

ATB,  David

well you can select the relevant submission batches (not to many at a time because in my case the browser is hanging), set a filter (optional), select the desired images and then set the categories... better said try to do that.... ;) .... I'd first do only some and wait for the system update to have a look if it worked....

You can only select 500 that way.

You can select more than 500 with click and drag but it takes an age.

Hi All

I have some legacy images with more than one word per tag when there should be only one word per tag is this a comma thing or a bug thing + 30 character  thing??.

Regards

Jon

It's a bug. I have seen it, Betty has seen it and probably others too.

You end up with a greenie Jon. My fat finger pressed the green arrow instead of Quote underneath on my iPad!

Gen

In an earlier post, Mark brought to my attention a truncated phrase in my apple pie set. Nearly all of those images were messed up. The phrase was apple pie serving, and ended up apple pie se. This is way under the 30 or so characters said to be allowed.

What's disheartening, I corrected every single image. A minute later they were truncated again, NOT after a system update, but within a couple of minutes after saving. I fixed them about five times, then threw up my hands and emailed member services.

This is unacceptable. I'd be even more upset if it were a phrase I considered my most important, but it was a lesser phrase. Still needs to work, though.

Betty

In an earlier post, Mark brought to my attention a truncated phrase in my apple pie set. Nearly all of those images were messed up. The phrase was apple pie serving, and ended up apple pie se. This is way under the 30 or so characters said to be allowed.

What's disheartening, I corrected every single image. A minute later they were truncated again, NOT after a system update, but within a couple of minutes after saving. I fixed them about five times, then threw up my hands and emailed member services.

This is unacceptable. I'd be even more upset if it were a phrase I considered my most important, but it was a lesser phrase. Still needs to work, though.

Betty

Out of interest, did you check any of them when finding them through alamy.com as a customer would see them? I just wondered if it might simply be a display issue in AIM or if the tag is fundamentally broken in the back-end system.

Betty

Out of interest, did you check any of them when finding them through alamy.com as a customer would see them? I just wondered if it might simply be a display issue in AIM or if the tag is fundamentally broken in the back-end system.

When I encountered truncations, I check the buyer side and they were there as well.... 

Clarence

Archived