The Image Manager thread

Hi

I recently opened another discussion but deleted it because I thought the problem is solved but it isn't. I have 2 problems and would like to know if somebody else faces them:

1. After I tried to change all my images with property and/or people to RF editorial I noticed that randomly images appear only as RF; the editorial box isn't ticked. I did the procedure a couple of times the problem remains,

2.Today I noticed that not all supertags are saved. If tag newly submitted images I label 10 supertags and save them. They correctly show up as 10 supertags with their blue stars. I spot checked today and saw that some images show less than previous labeled 10 supertags. I changed them again and labeled 10 supertags saved and they correctly show up as 10 supertags. If after that I work on images of another batch and I go back to the images in question they only show a lower number of supertags as before. I repeated the procedure a couple of times. The problem remains after having worked on images in another batch.

Anyone else?

I have the same problem. Here is my post in another thread:

This happened to me about a week ago. My images would not show when I searched for Photographs, but they would show when I searched for the same tags selecting the "All images" option. Also, double check your images after you're done with the tags and all the other requirements. I saved several of my images with 10 supertags only to discover that after a system update they would have less than 10 supertags (sometimes down to 7). Other weird things that are happening are:

1) No matter how many times I insert a specific tag to a set of my images, that specific tag disappears after a system update.

2) Some two word tags are being cut off after a database update, for example, I entered "natricinae snake" as a supertag for one of my images, but it shows only as "n" in the list. The same thing happened with "Bruce Peninsula" (shown as "Bruce Pe"). These tags were all fine when I saved the files.

would you please contact the support to show that I am not alone. I did it and they want to send it to the technical team but it's better if they know that's not a problem only on my side (because I have already written to CS in case of two of the above mentionned)

I have. Here is the message I sent them, and their reply so far:

There are other issues with the new system that you might want to flag to your technical team:

1) After assigning 10 "super tags" to my images and saving them, sometimes when I go back to them some of them show less than 10 tags marked as supertags.
2) After saving the images, some of the keywords are cut off. Example, my image HMPYW3. I've been trying to add "natricinae snake" to it. Every time I try it, after saving the image (and after the system updates the database), the tag shows as "n" only.
3) There are other cases also. For my images of the Sun Voyager sculpture in Iceland (one of them is HN5H98), I cannot add the tag "Viking ship" to them. The tag disappears after a system update and my supertags drop down to 9 from 10.

Their answer:

Thanks for flagging these issues, we’ll pass them on, and be in touch once we have an update.

Have  great day,

@Alamy

I kindly ask alamy to please open up a new thread with a table showing a short description which problems resulting from the new IM are known by alamy, are worked upon by alamy and will have been finally solved. This would help all of us to recognize emerged problems as what they are, know what the present state is and results in a focused problem solving.

thanks

Good idea. It would be useful. Especially if they know any workarounds we can use.

I am tagging using Safari on a Mac with a fast cable modem connection. I cannot detect the dropping tags, or tags truncated problem in the approximately 5,000 images I have already updated. 

Believe me I checked back, because I have solid 2 weeks already invested in the tagging.

I usually only select under 5 images at a time to work on. I also save my changes frequently. Sometimes I will save different changes to the same image 3 or 4 times. Maybe twice when doing tags, save again when going RM to RF, save again when selecting supertags. I have noticed that if I select 50 images to do a mass RM to RF change, that change is not applied to all images.

I often have 10 supertags per image, and long supertags like “UNESCO World Heritage Site” without a problem.

Could It be the browser, operating system, the internet connection, trying to work on too many images at once, accessing a busy Alamy system, that could be causing problems? I am tagging 10AM-5PM Toronto Time.

I am tagging using Safari on a Mac with a fast cable modem connection. I cannot detect the dropping tags, or tags truncated problem in the approximately 5,000 images I have already updated. 

Believe me I checked back, because I have solid 2 weeks already invested in the tagging.

I usually only select under 5 images at a time to work on. I also save my changes frequently. Sometimes I will save different changes to the same image 3 or 4 times. Maybe twice when doing tags, save again when going RM to RF, save again when selecting supertags. I have noticed that if I select 50 images to do a mass RM to RF change, that change is not applied to all images.

I often have 10 supertags per image, and long supertags like “UNESCO World Heritage Site” without a problem.

Could It be the browser, operating system, the internet connection, trying to work on too many images at once, accessing a busy Alamy system, that could be causing problems? I am tagging 10AM-5PM Toronto Time.

I work on 1 image at a time. Sometimes just 1 or 2 tags, sometimes changing all keywords in one go. Problems with breaking up tags; truncating words; reversing word order appear totally random.

However tags with 2 letter words almost always break. I have had tags containing United States or USA break frequently. Three letter words seem also to induce breaking sometimes.

But mostly totally random. Always after everything looked good after saving.

All this has happened before saving also, but then I have just started over until it was either ok at saving or I had to give up.

I happen to think it's a clumsy fiddly extremely time consuming tool, but it should bloody well work as advertised. On any particular time.

wim

I work on 1 image at a time. Sometimes just 1 or 2 tags, sometimes changing all keywords in one go. Problems with breaking up tags; truncating words; reversing word order appear totally random.

However tags with 2 letter words almost always break. I have had tags containing United States or USA break frequently. Three letter words seem also to induce breaking sometimes.

All this has happened before saving also, but then I have just started over until it was either ok at saving or I had to give up.

I happen to think it's a clumsy fiddly extremely time consuming tool, but it should bloody well work as advertised. On any particular time.

wim

It may be the way your operating system, your browser, and Image Manager all interact.

You may want to try changing your browser. Use the one that came with your operating system, if you are not already using it.

wim

It may be the way your operating system, your browser, and Image Manager all interact.

You may want to try changing your browser. Use the one that came with your operating system, if you are not already using it.

Sorry, no I actually don't want to change my browser.

Firefox is a very good tool with really useful add-ons that I have used for many years and usually is (and always has been) much more compliant than some of the others that come with the respective operating systems, read: Edge; IE; Chrome and Safari.

All of which I have used (Safari) or am still using (the rest) at the moment, just not for keywording.

wim

wim

Hi Wim,

Are you manually typing keywords into the box or cutting and pasting from elsewhere? I've been manually typing in my tags, often in groups e.g. keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword phrase, keyword  3, and then clicking add, and haven't spotted anything wrong yet.

I'm using Chrome on Mac Sierra.

Mark

I have been doing both. The copy/paste now seems to work. That way is the only way to get my tags in the order I want. In a reasonable amount of time.

The latest truncation occurred after hand typing. As I said: it's random.

I thought it had been solved by now. So I started editing one or two images again after spending the best part of a month on 40 or so images. As I said initially blaming myself for not being focused and neat enough. (All quite understandable and logical and probably true btw.)

Why do I want the order I want, while Alamy is saying order doesn't matter? Because it only doesn't matter at the moment for some searches in Creative. It still does matter in Relevant. Is relevant going away? Maybe. Will it at one point return? Who can say. How long will it take me to change everything the next time?

Word order? Try Paris in spring Eiffel Tower or Eiffel Tower Paris in spring.

Or Paris in spring or Spring in Paris.

All no imaginary searches. Try both Creative and Relevant.

wim

edit: the tags had been perfect after saving. The truncation happened after the database had refreshed.

I have been doing both. The copy/paste now seems to work. That way is the only way to get my tags in the order I want. In a reasonable amount of time.

I thought it had been solved by now. So I started editing one or two images again after spending the best part of a month on 40 or so images. As I said initially blaming myself for not being focused and neat enough. (All quite understandable and logical and probably true btw.)

Why do I want the order I want, while Alamy is saying order doesn't matter? Because it only doesn't matter at the moment for some searches in Creative. It still does matter in Relevant. Is relevant going away? Maybe. Will it at one point return? Who can say. How long will it take me to change everything the next time?

wim

edit: the tags had been perfect after saving. The truncation happened after the database had refreshed.

Interesting that search word order seems to be having an effect, but does this prove tag order is important?

With respect to truncation - I have checked the tags I entered in the new MI after a refresh, and haven't spotted any truncated tags yet. But, I could easily fail to spot if a whole tag had gone missing. 

The more I use the new MI, the more I dislike it. When selecting multiple images I hate the way it's impossible to tell which image has which tags. I also dislike the way it treats "Keyword" and "keyword" (for example) as separate tags (presumably this is a bug - as capitalisation never mattered before, but maybe it will in future?).

I'd much prefer a 3 (or more) column style display when working on multiple images. A small thumbnail at the top of each column, keywords in alphabetic order in rows below. Keywords, caption, location and settings could simply be copied or dragged between rows. They would be both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to allow working on more than 3 images, and for images with lots of keywords. Are there any tools that already provide this type of display?

wim

Interesting that search word order seems to be having an effect, but does this prove tag order is important?

With respect to truncation - I have checked the tags I entered in the new MI after a refresh, and haven't spotted any truncated tags yet. But, I could easily fail to spot if a whole tag had gone missing. 

The more I use the new MI, the more I dislike it. When selecting multiple images I hate the way it's impossible to tell which image has which tags. I also dislike the way it treats "Keyword" and "keyword" (for example) as separate tags (presumably this is a bug - as capitalisation never mattered before, but maybe it will in future?).

I'd much prefer a 3 (or more) column style display when working on multiple images. A small thumbnail at the top of each column, keywords in alphabetic order in rows below. Keywords, caption, location and settings could simply be copied or dragged between rows. They would be both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to allow working on more than 3 images, and for images with lots of keywords. Are there any tools that already provide this type of display?

There is an expanded view button option which is pretty useless and not at all intuitive!

I don't think that Alamy are in the least interested in ANY suggestions for improvements or even simple corrections to very clear failures in the new AIM.

If I continue to sound angry about the new AIM, it's because I am.

wim

There is an expanded view button option which is pretty useless and not at all intuitive!

I don't think that Alamy are in the least interested in ANY suggestions for improvements or even simple corrections to very clear failures in the new AIM.

If I continue to sound angry about the new AIM, it's because I am.

The expanded view button doesn't work for me. Stuff just disappears off the bottom of the screen, no matter how I zoom the display.  (Using Google Chrome on Mac Sierra 1920 x 1080 display, full screen).

Not very interesting but when I expand the sheet in AIM to two columns everything under "Mandatory" disappears. Clicking back and forth between mandatory and "Optional" does not make the details appear either. When I click on optional all the information which should be there is there. Still nothing under mandatory when I click on that though. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Arrrrgh!  Another bug. :huh:

I'm going home. Oh! I am home. :wacko:

Allan

EDIT: Just fired off an email to CR and await reply.

ITMA

"Word order? Try Paris in spring Eiffel Tower or Eiffel Tower Paris in spring.

Or Paris in spring or Spring in Paris.

wim"

Is it really good, useful, or necessary to include the word "in"?

wim"

I don't know, but Alamy urges us to use (or at least include) more natural language. In stead of keyword speak. Not sure if clients have got that message yet. 

Otoh this may very well be aimed at people who are no clients yet. The long tail and all that.

wim

Edit:

Search results:

spring in paris - 13,481

spring paris - 26,437

AoA

% in paris% 212 for the rolling year

nothing to sniff at.

wim"

I don't know, but Alamy urges us to use (or at least include) more natural language. In stead of keyword speak. Not sure if clients have got that message yet. 

Otoh this may very well be aimed at people who are no clients yet. The long tail and all that.

wim

Edit:

Search results:

spring in paris - 13,481

spring paris - 26,437

AoA

nothing to sniff at.

I get and 24,216 for spring in paris 53,021 for spring paris

​But I'm curious of I should be tagging spring paris or paris spring or both.  Both searches bring different order of results.  

wim"

wim

Edit:

Search results:

spring in paris - 13,481

spring paris - 26,437

AoA

nothing to sniff at.

​But I'm curious of I should be tagging spring paris or paris spring or both.  Both searches bring different order of results.  

You are not revealing your location. I'm in the Netherlands.  The difference is probably caused by images (from agencies) not being available in this territory. Could be country or Europe or Continent. Maybe even Putinland or Yogaland.

And time of course:

26,438 for spring paris now. (How did he/she do that without a database refresh?)

Why you should choose one over the other? Placement of your image.

And AoA frequency related to your own rank: if your rank is good, but your particular spring in Paris image is not, then don't try to get it on the front page for those keywords.

Unless of course all of a sudden many views without zooms or sales are a bonus.

Anything could can happen.

Like Alamy has just said that whatever we do will not matter to the placing of the images. They may just have meant what they've said.

wim

wim"

wim

Edit:

Search results:

spring in paris - 13,481

spring paris - 26,437

AoA

nothing to sniff at.

You are not revealing your location. I'm in the Netherlands.  The difference is probably caused by images (from agencies) not being available in this territory. Could be country or Europe or Continent. Maybe even Putinland or Yogaland.

And time of course:

26,438 for spring paris now. (How did he/she do that without a database refresh?)

Why you should choose one over the other? Placement of your image.

And AoA frequency related to your own rank: if your rank is good, but your particular spring in Paris image is not, then don't try to get it on the front page for those keywords.

Unless of course all of a sudden many views without zooms or sales are a bonus.

Anything could can happen.

Like Alamy has just said that whatever we do will not matter to the placing of the images. They may just have meant what they've said.

wim

Wim, I'm in US.

Not sure I follow the rest.  Isn't paris spring and spring paris same thing, does that mean that now I need two tags to cover both searches?  

I have just done searches on "honfleur france" (my frequent standard test) and "france honfleur" and get much the same number of images returned but in a completely different order.

One of mine that consistently appears as #55 moves to 100+, from middle of page 1 to top of page 2. Images from another pseudonym move from  middle of page 2 to page 13, others from later pages seem to move down a similar number of pages (I ran out of enthusiasm to check :( )

So search order certainly does matter! Whether tag order matters I would suspect so ... I am wondering whether I should group on the basis of "adjectives noun adjectives". Using the same adjectives at both ends.

It should be noted that "paris spring" and "spring paris" produce very different results on Google.

I have just done searches on "honfleur france" (my frequent standard test) and "france honfleur" and get much the same number of images returned but in a completely different order.

One of mine that consistently appears as #55 moves to 100+, from middle of page 1 to top of page 2. Images from another pseudonym move from  middle of page 2 to page 13, others from later pages seem to move down a similar number of pages (I ran out of enthusiasm to check :( )

So search order certainly does matter! Whether tag order matters I would suspect so ... I am wondering whether I should group on the basis of "adjectives noun adjectives". Using the same adjectives at both ends.

It should be noted that "paris spring" and "spring paris" produce very different results on Google.

yes, the same number of images but different order.  Testing this with my own image in which I changed the order of words in caption (I have not tested it with a tag), made a difference where my image was placed. 

Not very interesting but when I expand the sheet in AIM to two columns everything under "Mandatory" disappears. Clicking back and forth between mandatory and "Optional" does not make the details appear either. When I click on optional all the information which should be there is there. Still nothing under mandatory when I click on that though. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Allan

ITMA

If you scroll down you'll probably find your keywords are hiding off the bottom of the screen, even though the right hand screen is full of empty space. That's where they are for me. Useless.

Allan

ITMA

If you scroll down you'll probably find your keywords are hiding off the bottom of the screen, even though the right hand screen is full of empty space. That's where they are for me. Useless.

Spot on! Thanks for the information.

As you say, "USELESS"

Allan

wim

Sorry, no I actually don't want to change my browser.

Firefox is a very good tool with really useful add-ons that I have used for many years and usually is (and always has been) much more compliant than some of the others that come with the respective operating systems, read: Edge; IE; Chrome and Safari.

All of which I have used (Safari) or am still using (the rest) at the moment, just not for keywording.

wim

Wim:

There is a recent discussion here of IM problems with Firefox

Archived