The Image Manager thread

I've noticed on a new batch that images imported with tags but where I've not assigned supertags show as 'On Sale' in AIM and they are searchable online, however the download link is greyed out, so not quite on sale! (example image HM5XAT).

> the filename doesn't show in the AIM search so it requires locating the original image on my computer.

Maybe include the filename as a tag from now on.

And in case you use other outlets, include those as well?

wim

I've noticed on a new batch that images imported with tags but where I've not assigned supertags show as 'On Sale' in AIM and they are searchable online, however the download link is greyed out, so not quite on sale! (example image HM5XAT).

That answers the question I came on the forum to pose. I didn't think of actually looking at the image on sale.

It worried me that images that needed to be right managed, people, no release were on sale already - that's the answer they are on sale but not yet available to purchase?

A good thing ? Get into a light box before you have tweaked ?

John Crellin

Deleted duplicate subs? I have a few of those from when I've reuploaded unnecessarily after a partial fail. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to find deletions.

I have a sub which states Images: 5 at the top of the box in the left column. At the bottom of the box it states Passed: 5.

Yet when I click on that sub box the centre column only shows two images. Now look under the images in the centre column and you will see a grey bar with a blue arrow next to deleted.

Click on that blue arrow and your deleted images will be shown.

Allan

Has this happened to any of you?

I had two batches of images approved on January 28th, one with 14 images, and the other with 13 images. They are all photographs and have been added as photographs in the IM system.

After they were put on sale I noticed they did not show in my searches. I then used the advanced search option, filtering the images by my contributor name. None of the images appear in the search when I select Photographs, but oddly enough, they appear when I select All images. That means that, although they are all photographs, none of these images will show up on buyers searches if they select Photographs as the search criteria.

I cannot reproduce what you describe Rubens. It seems to be working for me.

Normally, if you do a search with an empty search box and select your pseudo in the advanced search option you should be able to see all your images that are on sale. I just noticed that none of the images from the two last batches I mentioned above, which are now on sale, is displayed in the search results. However, as mentioned before, they do show up on generic searches for All images, but not when I select Photographs as the search criteria. I sent a message to Alamy about this issue and I'm waiting for a reply.

What on earth have you done to the image manager??

It's awful and the filter bar and working on boxes are out of sync with the rest of the page and obscure the images you are trying to work on! It's a really poorly executed design shouldn't have been tested first?

The duplicate keywords/tags are a pain to clear up too.

The old image manager was much easier to work with

Edit: This problem is only in Firefox seems to work in Internet Explorer.

Alamy.jpg

Hi Edward, I work all the time in Firefox, but have none of the issues you mention...

ImageMgr.jpg

It's awful and the filter bar and working on boxes are out of sync with the rest of the page and obscure the images you are trying to work on! It's a really poorly executed design shouldn't have been tested first?

Alamy.jpg

Hi Edward

I am having the same problem - they way I try and get round it is to click on the "Expanded attributes" button top right next to the "Pseudonyms" link; this gets rid of the QC batches info and pulls the images manager working boxes up to the top......

Its a bug, though and should be sorted

Kumar

I cant edit the caption box when it has reached its limit upon upload, very annoying as I have many picture with unfinished caption. 150 characters is too low as well, at least 200 would be good.

Don't forget you can use the additional information box in Options.  Not sure what it's limit is though.

Alamy.jpg

Hi Edward

I am having the same problem - they way I try and get round it is to click on the "Expanded attributes" button top right next to the "Pseudonyms" link; this gets rid of the QC batches info and pulls the images manager working boxes up to the top......

Kumar

Could it be zoom level?

Ctrl-0 (=zero) then will do the trick.

Why the rest is scaling the way it does may be the bug.

wim

I was migrated this morning so have been experimenting.

First impression is that this system is great for new submissions but for those of us with fairly large numbers already embedded it's gonna be a very laborious exercise, dragging old submitted files towards that elusive Green status.

Personally, I can't be done with re-visiting all those thousands of early ones (which still sell), deleting the over-50 tags that don't then allow me to add better super tags. Quite what happens with my CTR I don't know. Alamy will tweak the manager again and again so wasting time now on going slightly bonkers seems pointless and unhealthy. Alamy have told us we don't need to do a thing on our older files which is simply not true.

That said, I have one question: I know about dragging to select multiples etc. but what have people found to be the best method of selecting the max 500 to batch alter, say - an Only Available on Alamy or a Restriction? Thanks.

But working on new material seems straight forward and I look forward to the process of making them better sellers. That'll happen, right?

Have a good week, all.

Rgds,

Richard.

How should we tag multiple names?

Former keywords are now split in 2 different tags. "Bill Clinton" is now "Bill", "Clinton"

For a better discoverability I suppose I have to add the "Bill Clinton" tag. But should I remove the "Bill" tag? And what about the "Clinton" tag? Should I add a "President Clinton" tag or is it enough a "President Bill Clinton" one? Or maybe is enough keeping tags separated: "president" and "Bill Clinton"

For instance, having this caption: "Former United States President Bill Clinton drinks a Diet Coke in Rio de Janeiro" should every double word be reunited in one tag?

BILL CLINTON

DIET COKE

RIO DE JANEIRO

What about other multiple names?
"Notre Dame de Paris" (or "Notre-Dame de Paris" or "Notre Dame Cathedral" or "Notre-Dame Cathedral")? In this case the Image Manager keeps a "de" tag that looks pretty useles.

"Queen Elizabeth II"? The present situation has a "II" tag :blink:

"Aston Martin"?

Former keywords are now split in 2 different tags. "Bill Clinton" is now "Bill", "Clinton"

For a better discoverability I suppose I have to add the "Bill Clinton" tag. But should I remove the "Bill" tag? And what about the "Clinton" tag? Should I add a "President Clinton" tag or is it enough a "President Bill Clinton" one? Or maybe is enough keeping tags separated: "president" and "Bill Clinton"

For instance, having this caption: "Former United States President Bill Clinton drinks a Diet Coke in Rio de Janeiro" should every double word be reunited in one tag?

BILL CLINTON

DIET COKE

RIO DE JANEIRO

"Notre Dame de Paris" (or "Notre-Dame de Paris" or "Notre Dame Cathedral" or "Notre-Dame Cathedral")? In this case the Image Manager keeps a "de" tag that looks pretty useles.

"Aston Martin"?

Unless you want all images of Bills or Clintons to rank equally high in searches (and the Bill Clinton being mixed with these) - I would definitely create the tag "bill clinton" (the quotation marks here only to show the entire tag). Of course, both bills and clintons can still be found in searches, but they will rank lower, as far as I know. This thinking goes for all tags.

Regarding the "Notre Dame de Paris" tag, I would personally also make a "notre dame" and "paris" tag from what I know until now.

BILL CLINTON

DIET COKE

RIO DE JANEIRO

"Aston Martin"?

Does this Alamy blog answer your question?

http://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

It states:

But what does ‘tag naturally’ mean? Well, it means that if something is a multi-word single entity then you should tag it as such e.g. “Taylor Swift”, “South East Asian”, “Bible Belt”, “Red Leicester”, “The Rolling Stones”, or “Homer Simpson”. If you’re still using the older version of our image management tool you can enter a phrase by adding a comma or ” ” around the phrase. If you’re using the new Alamy Image Manager (rolling out across the site now) then you can just type in each word before submitting them as a phrase.

What we wouldn’t advise is putting multiple entities/concepts into a single tag e.g. “Paris Eiffel Tower”. As things currently stand this will not have any particular effect on the search engine one way or the other but in future iterations of the search engine it may do. It would be more natural (and hence better as a longer term tag strategy) to go for “Paris”,”Eiffel Tower”.

Our tagging system does not exclude constituent words of a tag from being searched for e.g. “Banff National Park” will still show up for “banff”,”national park” and “park” searches. This also means that “Rhinoceros Beetle” will show up in “Rhinoceros” searches, but the search engine tries to make sure that the beetle image does not appear too high up.

So the blog suggests that from a search engine perspective,  that you can have with one tag "President Bill Clinton" or three tags "President", "Bill", "Clinton" .... the search results would contain your image either way, but the very final sentence I quote in red, suggests that the the position within the search results could change depending on the words searched for.

Thanks for finding the blog answer.

I'm not sure how to interpret this part?

As things currently stand this will not have any particular effect on the search engine one way or the other but in future iterations of the search engine it may do. It would be more natural (and hence better as a longer term tag strategy) to go for “Paris”,”Eiffel Tower”.

So the blog suggests that from a search engine perspective,  that you can have with one tag "President Bill Clinton" or three tags "President", "Bill", "Clinton" .... the search results would contain your image either way, but the very final sentence I quote in red, suggests that the the position within the search results could change depending on the words searched for.

In a word: how would you tag this caption?

"Former United States President Bill Clinton"

Our tagging system does not exclude constituent words of a tag from being searched for e.g. “Banff National Park” will still show up for “banff”,”national park” and “park” searches. This also means that “Rhinoceros Beetle” will show up in “Rhinoceros” searches, but the search engine tries to make sure that the beetle image does not appear too high up.

So, should I cancel the preceding keywords (now tags): "Banff", "National Park" and "park"? Or it doesn't matter what I do to separated tags as long as I add the multiple tag (i.e. “Banff National Park”)

It looks very sleek and nice to get away from the flash format, BUT it now takes 20 times longer to process images - the whole 'supertag' thing needs to go. I'd hoped we were going to loose the essential keywords, alas they've been resurrected as 'super tags'.

Alamy.jpg

Hi Edward

Kumar

Could it be zoom level?

Ctrl-0 (=zero) then will do the trick.

Why the rest is scaling the way it does may be the bug.

wim

Excellent solution which worked for me - Thanks Wim!

Kumar

Archived