The Image Manager thread

I've had it for a few days now, my surnames W and only joined late 2015 so presumably not alphabetical or duration? No idea! Completely random?

My first thoughts are that I like it.

I haven't gone into anything complicated with it yet though, just keywording some new images and tweaking some recent ones and will be (eventually, and hopefully) working my way back through the whole lot :wacko:. Apart from a few early uploads, I have always used commas and quotes for phrases, which has maybe made the switch a bit more straightforward as haven't noticed any hiccups (yet). Mind you I have only looked at about 5% of my images so time will tell I'm sure!

My only complaint is (as I think others have already mentioned) that it should automatically de-select images upon saving changes IMO. Also the zoomed images could do with being a bit larger (or more zoomable) - Its a great feature and I'm glad its there, but the image is still not big enough to be able to check for or count teeny tiny people! Having to find and open an image locally to double check is a bit of a pain. Maybe its just me being lazy :lol: But I'm guessing its too late for suggestions now though...  -_-  

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

Rebecca Brown here, and still on the old system, so I don't think so.

Well, you shot that theory down, :D

Have you been submitting on a regular basis?

Yes Betty.....submitting pretty well every week......but will stockpile them now until the new system settles down ! As an aside, my dashboard hasn't been updated for three days now either !

Yes Betty.....submitting pretty well every week......but will stockpile them now until the new system settles down ! As an aside, my dashboard hasn't been updated for three days now either !

My Alamy, 28 Jan 2017 – Last updated on 25 Jan 2017

Ditto. Clearly there's a lot going on at Alamy towers at the moment.

My only complaint is (as I think others have already mentioned) that it should automatically de-select images upon saving changes IMO. Also the zoomed images could do with being a bit larger (or more zoomable) - Its a great feature and I'm glad its there, but the image is still not big enough to be able to check for or count teeny tiny people! Having to find and open an image locally to double check is a bit of a pain. Maybe its just me being lazy :lol: But I'm guessing its too late for suggestions now though...  -_-  

I do my 'people count' while I'm in Photoshop, and then incorporate that number (1-5) into the image's name.

My only complaint is (as I think others have already mentioned) that it should automatically de-select images upon saving changes IMO. Also the zoomed images could do with being a bit larger (or more zoomable) - Its a great feature and I'm glad its there, but the image is still not big enough to be able to check for or count teeny tiny people! Having to find and open an image locally to double check is a bit of a pain. Maybe its just me being lazy :lol: But I'm guessing its too late for suggestions now though... -_-

I do my 'people count' while I'm in Photoshop, and then incorporate that number (1-5) into the image's name.

What an absolutely fantastic idea! Thank you! :)

Geoff.

Yes, I'm not as daft as I look...

Never thought of doing that - great idea!  I usually do as Lizzy does, look at the image locally and see how many humans are in the pic, come out of it, back into Alamy etc, etc. It's a right royal pain in the Gluteus Maximus.

I have a slightly different method.  I keyword in Lightroom before uploading, and have 0,1,2,3,4,4+ as keywords, which I apply when I know there might be some doubt looking at the small MI version.  This number then always ends up as the first keyword (at least in the old system) so is easy to delete as soon as I have entered the number of people in Attributes.

Graham

I have a slightly different method.  I keyword in Lightroom before uploading, and have 0,1,2,3,4,4+ as keywords, which I apply when I know there might be some doubt looking at the small MI version.  This number then always ends up as the first keyword (at least in the old system) so is easy to delete as soon as I have entered the number of people in Attributes.

Graham

Since this is now optional I stopped counting people.  Is there a benefit to it?

You who have not gotten it yet, consider it a blessing. Perhaps by the time you do, all of the bugs will have been fixed and it will be smooth sailing for you.

Let the ones who have it pull our hair out. :D

Graham

Since this is now optional I stopped counting people.  Is there a benefit to it?

I would think if a customer searches using number of people, images that don't have that filled in won't come up in the search.

|Jill

Same for me

Folks, take time, get used to the layout. Accept change. Having spent a couple of days on it, you do get used to a different way of working. One thing I have to say is that - and it will be bad news for members with many thousands of images - is that each image does need to be visited for editing. I've found many instances of search terms being corrupted when transferred to the new layout. "Red Bull Air Race" has become Red, Bull, Air, and Race. Four words that should have stayed together you would have thought. Anything beyond four words has similarly been separated, but I think that was always an issue with longer phrases? As previously mentioned, the system finds punctuation confusing. I've found many instances of now having words such as 'on', 'of', 'a' and 'and' as search terms. 

Totally agree.

And the "good news" to counter your "bad news" is according to Alamy's new blog on keywords:

http://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

.. it doesn't actually matter from a perspective of what the search engine does whether you have one tag reading "Read Bull Air Race" or four tags reading "Red", "Bull", "Air", and "Race".  :) 

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't having 'on' or suchlike as a supertag (from Southend, on, sea for example) damage my CTR if it frequently comes up in searches for 'Man on horse', 'Man on the moon' or whatever?

Folks, take time, get used to the layout. Accept change. Having spent a couple of days on it, you do get used to a different way of working. One thing I have to say is that - and it will be bad news for members with many thousands of images - is that each image does need to be visited for editing. I've found many instances of search terms being corrupted when transferred to the new layout. "Red Bull Air Race" has become Red, Bull, Air, and Race. Four words that should have stayed together you would have thought. Anything beyond four words has similarly been separated, but I think that was always an issue with longer phrases? As previously mentioned, the system finds punctuation confusing. I've found many instances of now having words such as 'on', 'of', 'a' and 'and' as search terms. 

Totally agree.

And the "good news" to counter your "bad news" is according to Alamy's new blog on keywords:

http://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

.. it doesn't actually matter from a perspective of what the search engine does whether you have one tag reading "Read Bull Air Race" or four tags reading "Red", "Bull", "Air", and "Race".  :) 

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't having 'on' or suchlike as a supertag (from Southend, on, sea for example) damage my CTR if it frequently comes up in searches for 'Man on horse', 'Man on the moon' or whatever?

"on" - 15,582,761 images. "southend on sea" - 6,072 images. "southend sea" - 6,447 images.

General thanks to this thread for clarifying lots. Particularly the Alamy Blog quote that says grouping of words in tags doesn't matter. (Is it just Alamy had to have tags to be cool and with it?)

It's all a bit daunting as many have said but I realise I will settle into it while Alamy do the same bug-wise...

But sad to see that, as with Microsoft themselves, the interface is so touch screen driven - can't really see myself moving away from a big screen and mouse for upload preparation in particular but also for keywording. (I have a tablet and a smart phone but photography is still at a desk for me...)

Must be getting old.

Oh and I am late to AIM it seems despite being on the books since 2006 and low in the alphabet but I did have nearly two years out 2015/16 when too busy to upload (but still taking photos).

John Crellin

General thanks to this thread for clarifying lots. Particularly the Alamy Blog quote that says grouping of words in tags doesn't matter. (Is it just Alamy had to have tags to be cool and with it?)

It's all a bit daunting as many have said but I realise I will settle into it while Alamy do the same bug-wise...

But sad to see that, as with Microsoft themselves, the interface is so touch screen driven - can't really see myself moving away from a big screen and mouse for upload preparation in particular but also for keywording. (I have a tablet and a smart phone but photography is still at a desk for me...)

Must be getting old.

Oh and I am late to AIM it seems despite being on the books since 2006 and low in the alphabet but I did have nearly two years out 2015/16 when too busy to upload (but still taking photos).

John Crellin

Agree. I do all my heavy work on my computer. But my iPad comes in very handy to tweak tags and captions on legacy images. I also do searches of my images to check placement on it.

You'd be surprised what you can do during commercials in the evenings!

I so miss MI version 1. Absolutely a Gods send on an iPad

I was too late to the party for version 1.  The new one does work on an iPad, although it is fiddly.  I even managed to upload an image via iPad (just to see if it worked), and it passed QC today.

I love your signature message btw.

Archived