The Image Manager thread

After two long days of super tagging, my eyes are red and my hand seriously aches. Then I saw that I had a sale today from one of the last batches I worked on yesterday. Maybe all of this clean up is worth it after all!  :)

That's 300 photos done, and another 1700 more to go. Ugg.

Guess what? The subject is "pine marten" and nowhere is that phrase - which is also a supertag - to be found in the image pages (viewable for clients). Of the 37 tags 3 supertags are missing and marten shows as mart  :blink: 

Cheers,

Philippe

marten, mart, marty... maybe Alamy are just adding nicknames to your tags?

I am wondering if this bug (which it definitely is) has something to do with the system shortening words to ones it recognises. I've had Tipperary shortened to Tippera which is apparently a province in India (a long way from Tipperary) - I only became aware of the existence of Tippera by clicking on the keyword link and found one other image depicting a map relating to Tippera. A lot of other Tipperary keywords have been shortened to Ti which gives around 8000 hits when clicked relating to various things like ti trees, a character in a horror movie and who knows what else.

I wonder how common the bug is - reasonably common it seems.

After two long days of super tagging, my eyes are red and my hand seriously aches. Then I saw that I had a sale today from one of the last batches I worked on yesterday. Maybe all of this clean up is worth it after all!  :)

Did you mean to have the keyword "nat" in your Native American rock art images?

^ that's the word clipping I mentioned in another thread. Happening a lot. Potentially a major issue as not only are words missing but others (clipped) are appearing and searchable thus creating false searches.

Nat = Sorry, no images were found.

Native American = 41 images found.

Even if the display is truncated, the search works properly for the buyers. 

Keep going. I hate being the only overworked and miserable one.

Nat = Sorry, no images were found.[/size]

Native American = 41 images found.[/size]

Even if the display is truncated, the search works properly for the buyers.

Nat. http://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?qt=Nat&imgt=0

Why does the new image manager mess the keywords up and just put bits of them in??? (I think Wim has mentioned this)

Yesterday for example i keyworded "south Africa" as a supertag - today on looking at my keywords for those images some of them just have "So" as a supertag!

Also some have "museum" as "mu" today?? - these are just examples and it seems to be happening quite ofetn!

AARGHHHHHHHHH! Its bad enough having to go back and re-keyword individual images with the new MI without then having to go back again and check them!!!

Kumar

It has to be bad

When Kumar gets mad

Cheer up man - it's bound to get fixed.

Instead of beta testing, get out and make pics? B)

MDM - I did not realise you have a poetic side to you!  :lol:

Kumar

Why does the new image manager mess the keywords up and just put bits of them in??? (I think Wim has mentioned this)

Yesterday for example i keyworded "south Africa" as a supertag - today on looking at my keywords for those images some of them just have "So" as a supertag!

Also some have "museum" as "mu" today?? - these are just examples and it seems to be happening quite ofetn!

AARGHHHHHHHHH! Its bad enough having to go back and re-keyword individual images with the new MI without then having to go back again and check them!!!

Kumar

It has to be bad

When Kumar gets mad

Cheer up man - it's bound to get fixed.

Instead of beta testing, get out and make pics? B)

MDM - I did not realise you have a poetic side to you!  :lol:

Kumar

Old dog

New trick?

:D

Actually it was sort of accidental until I realised it was rhyming.

Poetry - well I have a latent love of certain poetry and poets: Blake, Keats and Yeats mainly.

Just tried the BHZ check and despite the concerns with duplicates etc, my two images (on different pseudos) are both still in the first 4 lines of the first page.  

Another common search 'Canterbury Cathedral' brings one of my images in the number one spot on the first.  

I've not made any changes to tags/supertags as I thought it best to wait until Alamy have had chance to carry out any tweaks needed first. 

I think I'll just concentrate on getting new uploads keyworded correctly to suit the new I.M.

John

^ that's the word clipping I mentioned in another thread. Happening a lot. Potentially a major issue as not only are words missing but others (clipped) are appearing and searchable thus creating false searches.

We can confirm this isn't a major issue - its a display issue where the keyword field is clipped and then re-ordered alphabetically in the image details view. 

The original word that has been clipped is still searchable as normal. 

We're working on a fix for this.

Cheers

Alamy

I'm actually almost too scared to keyword the queue of images I have waiting to go on sale and I'm utterly terrified to work on my old images! I don't like change...

There are far worse things that will remain unmentioned to be terrified about at the moment.   I think it is sensible to leave older images alone for now until they iron out any bugs which have emerged since the new beast was unleashed. Personally I prefer the older version for most things. The only advantage of the new one that I can see is that it is possible to add or remove a single keyword or phrase from a set of images although there are severe limitations it seems as Arterra has been expounding on.

However, it is definitely here and it's not going away so I would advocate facing the fears as there is nothing worse than fear left to fester.

I was told by Alamy that once we had the new tools, phrases would be respected by the search engine. Well that is not happening. One of my images of a missing roof tile is coming up in searches for "tiles". I do not have "tiles" as a single tag or a word in the caption. I only have multi-word tags such as "missing tiles", "tile missing", etc..

Words •within* phrases are still searchable...

Phrases are respected , in the sense that if your existing images or  newly uploaded images a have a keyword phrase delimited by commas, then those phrases are renedered intact as a new 'tag'

Nowhere have i seen Alamy state that the component elements of a phrasal tag would not be searchable

km

That's correct Keith. 

This blog post should provide more clarity:

http://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

Cheers

Alamy

We can confirm this isn't a major issue - its a display issue where the keyword field is clipped and then re-ordered alphabetically in the image details view. 

Cheers

Alamy

Yes thanks for confirming that. The fact that it doesn't affect the actual keywords attached to the image should mean that a universal fix should be relatively easy to implement.

I was told by Alamy that once we had the new tools, phrases would be respected by the search engine. Well that is not happening. One of my images of a missing roof tile is coming up in searches for "tiles". I do not have "tiles" as a single tag or a word in the caption. I only have multi-word tags such as "missing tiles", "tile missing", etc..

Words •within* phrases are still searchable...

Phrases are respected , in the sense that if your existing images or  newly uploaded images a have a keyword phrase delimited by commas, then those phrases are renedered intact as a new 'tag'

Nowhere have i seen Alamy state that the component elements of a phrasal tag would not be searchable

km

That's correct Keith. 

This blog post should provide more clarity:

http://www.alamy.com/blog/tagging-images-on-alamy

Cheers

Alamy

Thank you for the blog... keep them coming as they are always helpful!

I've just spent a few minutes tagging a picture then realised I had 2 selected. Why oh why do we have to deselect images when we click on another? I have to start over, which is an utter waste of time. What a stupid system!

Why oh why do we have to deselect images when we click on another? 

Because that's how it allows you to do batch editing! If selecting a new image deselected the previous image, you would never be able to select a batch.

It is a mindset change... a few months from now, I'm sure we'll mostly all be used to it and take most of what th etool does and how to do things totally for granted.

I find the 'Clear selection' option on the top-right of the middle panel to be my best friend!

It could potentially be a very valid improvement to add an option which allows users to choose whether hitting the 'Save' button also deselects an image which would help reduce the occurrence of the problem you just encountered.

I've just spent a few minutes tagging a picture then realised I had 2 selected. Why oh why do we have to deselect images when we click on another? I have to start over, which is an utter waste of time. What a stupid system!

As with any 'change', these things take getting used to but having spent two solid days working through my images such things soon become second nature. Take a breath, count to ten, and get back to it.

I agree. That is one of the things I really dislike about the new system - poorly designed I think. Having to click twice on an image to select and then deselect. Absolutely unintuitive. I much prefer the old system of dragging a set of images out to a separate area for batch editing. Then you know what you are working on. With this new system, it can be difficult to know what images you are actually working on beyond the indication at the top of how many images you are working on. If they had some ways of sorting images in a batch, then it could make it easier.

Cheers

Alamy

How about removing duplicate tags? I now have way more than 50 tags making it impossible to add phrases for reasons I explained here.

Cheers,

Philippe

+1

Cheers

Alamy

The tags breaking after saving is not a display problem. It's happening within the Image Manager.

Two tags:

traffic on GW Bridge,

busiest motor vehicle bridge,

become eight tags:

traffic

on

GW

Bridge

busiest

motor

vehicle

bridge

This particular image had 7 supertags and 20 regular tags. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Everything looks fine after saving.

However a day later it has 13 supertags (not supposed to happen) and 32 regular tags.

Indeed the Zoom page on the client's side has 22 tags. Including the tag Geor. One of those clipped words.

But the tags

traffic on gw bridge,

and

busiest motor vehicle bridge,

have stayed together here as they should.

I frankly don't care about the clipping of keywords on the Zoom page. I wished those were alphabetical single keywords like before. So that the keyword scrapers have a harder job. In that sense keyword clipping would even be good. If it would not make such a bad impression on clients.

wim

If selecting a new image deselected the previous image, you would never be able to select a batch.

Shift+click is the 'normal' way of selecting more than one non-consequitive items...

The new IM doesnt conform to standards in this respect

km

If selecting a new image deselected the previous image, you would never be able to select a batch.

Shift+click is the 'normal' way of selecting more than one non-consequitive items...

The new IM doesnt conform to standards in this respect

km

iPads don't have a shift button... :-)

Archived