The Image Manager thread

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

Interesting theory, except that I have the new system and my wife doesn't!  Much to her annoyance, I might add. ;)

Cheers, yes, it was just a theory and I'm with your wife on being pissed. I'll probably get it tomorrow when I'm busy with other things. I had all day to play today. 

Be sure to read the “Manage images” manual on PDF. It is very clear.

Discoverability rating is not artificial intelligence, it is artificial stupidity.

I am ignoring it, and keywording appropriately without spamming.

The only important rating system for keywords is supertags or tags. Not keyword order. I think.

Switching my street/beach scenes with people from RM to RF is a big plus. Like it or not, RF is the future. Releases needed for RF is so 1999.

In manage images, search by keyword(s) to get to a specific image or group of images. For instance I just searched (Niagara Falls,winter),  then checked and selected and added supertags for all of them (about 30 shots)  at once.

I found that when I keyworded an image from scratch, the order of the keywords were reversed after I saved.

But if I just modified an already keyworded image, clicking on the tags I wanted as supertags, the order stayed as originally done. I'll be curious after tomorrow's update, to see how the keywords look in a search. They were aphabetisized before. I assume that part will be unchanged, since the search algorithms were changed weeks ago.

I really like being able to order the oldest uploads first. It was a pain to get to the old ones then after a save, they reverted to the latest again. It will make reworking the old ones much easier.

What I REALLY dislike: Not being able to copy/paste from one image to another.

I like the Alamy Only button.

I dislike having to untick the box of an image after a save. If you don't remember to do that, it messes up the next image until you remember to go back and untick it. It would not be brain surgery to make a save automatically untick the box.

I like that our Dashboard was left alone. I like it just as it is.

I dislike that we can't reorder our tags.

There's much to like. There's some things that if I'd been a Beta tester that I would have suggested be changed.

The safeprice banner across the top obscures the search filter. I can see how to get rid for 24 hours but is there a permanent fix?

That's adware smuggled in by AVAST anti-virus. Google it.

It has made AVAST hugely unpopular. I'm seeing 12000 results for remove safeprice.

wim

edit: typo

What I REALLY dislike: Not being able to copy/paste from one image to another.

You can copy tags from one image to another though. Select the image with the tags you want. Now also select the image that you want to transfer the tags to. The tags will now appear greyed out. Click on the tags that you want to transfer.. this copies them across as it makes the tags present on both (all... you can copy the tags to multiple images in one go this way if you selected more than 2 images) images.

It is a slightly different mindset to copying and pasting words as you would in a text editor.. but I like it and think that the fact that you can select multiple ltiple images at once and copy the tags to all of them in one go is a time saver.

"The only important rating system for keywords is supertags or tags. Not keyword order. I think.

Switching my street/beach scenes with people from RM to RF is a big plus. Like it or not, RF is the future. Releases needed for RF is so 1999." - Bill Brooks

I've always felt that property releases were unimportant, unless one is dealing with those lovely folks at the National Trust. But are you saying that model releases have now fallen by the roadside? Hmm.  :o

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

Interesting theory, except that I have the new system and my wife doesn't!  Much to her annoyance, I might add. ;)

Cheers, yes, it was just a theory and I'm with your wife on being pissed. I'll probably get it tomorrow when I'm busy with other things. I had all day to play today. 

Same, but it'll come soon enough............Right!!!!  :blink:

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

I have made the same point. If you are editing a large batch of images, you can have hundreds of keywords come up and trying to find one to either add to all or delete can be extremely time-consuming. I also found the alphabetical listing (as it started out) very good for finding spelling mistakes and the same tag starting with small and capital letters. Rationalising tags is a lot easier if they are alphabetical. The reason, I think, is that it messes up proximity, but it would be good if we could have the option to VIEW them alphabetically even if they don't act that way in searches.

Have a look at this online app. I use it for exactly that.

And here's a good words/sentences/paragraphs counter.

wim

Is it just me (or the test version) or are some tags broken up by the new tool?

Not when saving, but later. Sometimes on reload; sometimes one or two days later.

Especially tags with two and three letter words seem to be affected.

The same for a lot of my legacy images. The keyword Sainsbury's created a special mess. All funny characters should now be ignored, but sometimes aren't.

Now the s is a separate tag.

Sainsbury's  Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury
s
Superstore
Sainsbury
s
shop
Sainsbury
s
sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury
s store Sainsbury
s logo Sainsbury
s Supermarket Sainsbury
s Supermarket Sainsbury
s store Sainsbury
s logo Sainsbury

Maybe we must not give Philippe new headaches. Or the people with 50 images of Sainsbury's shops.

I have only one.

Interestingly there are only 31 images for interesting times concept on Alamy. None very good.

Nobody is looking for it either.

wim

Not when saving, but later. Sometimes on reload; sometimes one or two days later.

The same for a lot of my legacy images. The keyword Sainsbury's created a special mess. All funny characters should now be ignored, but sometimes aren't.

Sainsbury's Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

Maybe we must not give Philippe new headaches. Or the people with 50 images of Sainsbury's shops.

I have only one.

Interestingly there are only 31 images for interesting times concept on Alamy. None very good.

wim

It's not recognizing the apostrophe, seeing it as a comma instead of an apostrophe. I guess we should leave those out.

Jill

Sainsbury's Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

I have only one.

wim

It's not recognizing the apostrophe, seeing it as a comma instead of an apostrophe. I guess we should leave those out.

Jill

Except when it didn't and just left the apostrophe out. It's ok for me to leave it out from now on. But (like Philippe) I usually keyworded with lots of accents and apostrophes. Until today I was so focused on my tags breaking up repeatedly, that I had not seen this one coming. Mainly because I had seen a couple that had been converted correctly. More or less; depending on how you look at funny characters. We still had to learn them at school. And I do read the odd foreign newspaper where they're old-fashioned enough to use them quite frequently. Mainly because they're old-fashioned and funny languages of course.

The British can be old-fashioned too btw: I just looked up Sainsbury at AoA and clients are using Sainsbury's 3 to 1. Oh well, they'll learn too. The search engine still excepts Sainsbury's too. Sainsbury: 3,249 results; Sainsbury's 8,492.

wim

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

I have only one.

wim

Jill

Strange, it has worked for me (I have only checked one example).

I had the following:

Caption: Devil's Marbles

Keywords: Devils Marbles

It's come up as two tags (expected): Devil's and Marbles. 

No sign of Devils as a tag though, it seems to have done away with.

"The only important rating system for keywords is supertags or tags. Not keyword order. I think.

Switching my street/beach scenes with people from RM to RF is a big plus. Like it or not, RF is the future. Releases needed for RF is so 1999." - Bill Brooks

I've always felt that property releases were unimportant, unless one is dealing with those lovely folks at the National Trust. But are you saying that model releases have now fallen by the roadside? Hmm.  :o

I think that Alamy is hinting that "RF Editorial" rather than RM Editorial is the future as well. Question is, is there any point in switching to RF Editorial since Alamy's current RM licensing model is already very close to being RF -- unlimited press runs and duration, worldwide, etc. ?

I think that Alamy is hinting that "RF Editorial" rather than RM Editorial is the future as well. Question is, is there any point in switching to RF Editorial since Alamy's current RM licensing model is already very close to being RF -- unlimited press runs and duration, worldwide, etc. ?

But what if the client ticks 'RF only'? Our RM images won't be found.

But what if the client ticks 'RF only'? Our RM images won't be found.

Good point. Think I'll continue to stick with RM for most of my images for the time being.

As far as possible, I intend to have 10 super-tags on most on my images.

I will not add keywords as mine are adequate, consequently, I will never have maximum discoverability.

I have 15,799 pix to do and am going to do it in batches of several hundreds pictures at a time.

Given though we can only filter on Optimized, good or poor discoverability, how am I going to know which pictures are left to do?

Especially that I have noticed that, say after two or three batches of hundreds, IM dies and I have to start a new session.

Any idea? 

I will not add keywords as mine are adequate, consequently, I will never have maximum discoverability.

I have 15,799 pix to do and am going to do it in batches of several hundreds pictures at a time.

Given though we can only filter on Optimized, good or poor discoverability, how am I going to know which pictures are left to do?

Especially that I have noticed that, say after two or three batches of hundreds, IM dies and I have to start a new session.

Any idea? 

I have a smaller port, so easier, but I simply starting from submission one and working my way up the list.  Easiest way to know which ones are already done.

Jill

Any idea? 

I have a smaller port, so easier, but I simply starting from submission one and working my way up the list.  Easiest way to know which ones are already done.

Jill

That's an idea. I only have 521 submissions to do...

Someone serve me a stiff drink...

Any idea? 

Jill

That's an idea. I only have 521 submissions to do...

Someone serve me a stiff drink...

I'm going in the other direction (after stiff drink) -- starting from my newest submission and working back in time. I have a mere 482 submissions.

I have several hundred images of New Zealand, all keyworded in Photoshop and with  'New' and 'Zealand' entered separately. Now I want to make New Zealand a phrase, and get rid of the individual words. I selected the first 500 and deleted both individual words. The system only worked on the first 80, luckily, as I then couldn't batch enter 'New Zealand' as a phrase. System kept telling me I had exceeded my 50 keyword limit. I tried to do it a few at a time, still the same message, even when none of the selected images had more than 50 keywords. Eventually I added the phrase to all of those 80 images separately.

Has anyone else come across this? Have I missed something?

Thanks for any help!

Linda

I have several hundred images of New Zealand, all keyworded in Photoshop and with  'New' and 'Zealand' entered separately. Now I want to make New Zealand a phrase, and get rid of the individual words. I selected the first 500 and deleted both individual words. The system only worked on the first 80, luckily, as I then couldn't batch enter 'New Zealand' as a phrase. System kept telling me I had exceeded my 50 keyword limit. I tried to do it a few at a time, still the same message, even when none of the selected images had more than 50 keywords. Eventually I added the phrase to all of those 80 images separately.

Has anyone else come across this? Have I missed something?

Thanks for any help!

Linda

Yes and this is a pain. This is because one of your images has the maximum of 50 tags. Even if you try to delete one tag as part of a batch before entering a new one, it won't let you. 

You have to do those images with 50 tags individually. At least that's what I found today. I might be wrong, there might be some other way. I would be very happy to hear of a workaround.

Alright, I've been playing all day with the new IM, and for what it's worth, here's my verdict. I really like it!

It will be real quick for future uploads as I keyword in Bridge and all tags will already be there.
It will only be a matter of refining super-tags if esskeys field was too short.

Fairly intuitive (I didn’t need to read anything before using it. Only read the help doc tonight and it’s all fairly obvious)

Phrases have been split (because Alamy strips off commas) but each tag is still consecutive and recognised even if “” speech quotes are used.
Example: New South Wales has become three consecutive tags: New, South, Wales. If I search on “New South Wales”, it is still recognised.
So unless we want to make it a super-tag, it’s not an issue.

Do not like

Having to deselect an image

Can’t batch edit an image if contains more than 50 keywords

Can’t see my own image reference except in Filters (and I need to know which submission it was in to do so, which of course is impossible)

Very slow to select several hundred pix (IM dies after a few hundreds)

Can’t filter by category (low priority)

Would like

More obvious way to show that an image is selected, pale grey background, in my opinion, is not enough

Phew!

Gen

I  support the list Gen has made above, but would add to the dislikes the 'discoverability' feature encouraging spam keywords by suggesting that the keywording is incomplete unless all 50 keywords are filled.

Absolutely agree, I can't see the point of this feature.

Because I do not have any plans to increase my tag numbers, I did not list it.

But you are quite right.

Archived