The Image Manager thread

I have spent a fair amount of time today on the new system - i like it.

I dont intend to spam keyword to improve discoverability - but i am making sure that i have 10 super tags on each image - quite a task.

I am undecided as to whether i should move some RM images to RF - i have relatively few RF

I also haven't decided whether i should tick editorial only

Thumbs up from me

"The only important rating system for keywords is supertags or tags. Not keyword order. I think.

Switching my street/beach scenes with people from RM to RF is a big plus. Like it or not, RF is the future. Releases needed for RF is so 1999." - Bill Brooks

I've always felt that property releases were unimportant, unless one is dealing with those lovely folks at the National Trust. But are you saying that model releases have now fallen by the roadside? Hmm.  :o

I think that Alamy is hinting that "RF Editorial" rather than RM Editorial is the future as well. Question is, is there any point in switching to RF Editorial since Alamy's current RM licensing model is already very close to being RF -- unlimited press runs and duration, worldwide, etc. ?

Yes, indeed, and this is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than small advantages or disadvantages in the new system - we may be more or less pressed to change our older RM images to RF, I think, seeing that it is possible and is done and will be the way - (though I never thought it should come to this)  - perhaps even without making the images Editorial to the extent they should be. I think Alamy leaves us alone in the dark here to seek our own legal advice. Before we had that very clear rule with RM and the text to customers that they needed to examine if they needed  further releases. I liked that very much. I don't want legal proceedings against me, nor do I want to stop selling images only for that reason, then better delete my images. Alamy's guidance on this is not satisfactory. How should the " Please select 'Sell for editorial only" be interpreted?? Like for safety's sake if you prefer - or otherwise you will risk legal action against you. And do shadows, tiny people and people in the far distance still count.

From the PDF instruction to the new MI:

License type

1. This is where you select the ‘License type’. Alamy recommends a royaltyfree

(RF) license as this is most popular with customers

2. For images that contain unreleased property or people please select

‘Sell for editorial only’ (found under the ‘Optional’ tab)

Thiese are perhaps the most important changes, but get the least attention.

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

My surname starts with C.....Still waiting  :angry:  :angry:

Phil Crean

Is it just me (or the test version) or are some tags broken up by the new tool?

Not when saving, but later. Sometimes on reload; sometimes one or two days later.

Especially tags with two and three letter words seem to be affected.

The same for a lot of my legacy images. The keyword Sainsbury's created a special mess. All funny characters should now be ignored, but sometimes aren't.

Now the s is a separate tag.

Sainsbury's  Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

Maybe we must not give Philippe new headaches. Or the people with 50 images of Sainsbury's shops.

I have only one.

Interestingly there are only 31 images for interesting times concept on Alamy. None very good.

Nobody is looking for it either.

wim

Indeed a problem for those with lots of nature pictures. Many animals and plants are named after their discoverer:

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Père David's deer
  • etc......
Cheers,

Philippe

Curious. Did you check the results Philippe?

It seems to have worked for me. I got super-tags 'Devil's', 'King's'

Not when saving, but later. Sometimes on reload; sometimes one or two days later.

The same for a lot of my legacy images. The keyword Sainsbury's created a special mess. All funny characters should now be ignored, but sometimes aren't.

Sainsbury's  Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

Maybe we must not give Philippe new headaches. Or the people with 50 images of Sainsbury's shops.

I have only one.

Interestingly there are only 31 images for interesting times concept on Alamy. None very good.

wim

Indeed a problem for those with lots of nature pictures. Many animals and plants are named after their discoverer:

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Father David's deer
  • etc......

Cheers,

Philippe

I suspect you need to remove your punctuation. It seems like the system is recognising quotes be it single quotes ' or double quotes " as delimiters for phrases (multi-keyword tags). Anything inside a pair of 's is being taken as a phrase or tag.

Haven't Alamy siad that they don't support punctuation? An apostrophe would count as punctuation.

So instead of entering "Sainsbury's" as a tag, just enter "Sainsburys".

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

I have only one.

wim

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Father David's deer
  • etc......

Cheers,

Philippe

I suspect you need to remove your punctuation. It seems like the system is recognising quotes be it single quotes ' or double quotes " as delimiters for phrases (multi-keyword tags). Anything inside a pair of 's is being taken as a phrase or tag.

Haven't Alamy siad that they don't support punctuation? An apostrophe would count as punctuation.

But you can't remove it. Tags appear to be uneditable. You have to delete and rewrite- in Philippe's case. probably 3,497 times or something.

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

I have only one.

wim

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Father David's deer
  • etc......

Cheers,

Philippe

But you can't remove it. Tags appear to be uneditable. You have to delete and rewrite- in Philippe's case. probably 3,497 times or something.

Euh... I have reported TWICE in this thread that I got super-tags automatically created as 'Devil's' and 'King's'.

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

I have only one.

wim

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Father David's deer
  • etc......

Cheers,

Philippe

For people with a large number existing tags that break in this way, then it's an issue... if i were Philippe, I'd been emailing contributor services to ask for help/resolution (I bet he already has!).

For the odd tag here or there then delete and re-create.

But it's something to consider going forwards when creating new tags.

As far as possible, I intend to have 10 super-tags on most on my images.

I will not add keywords as mine are adequate, consequently, I will never have maximum discoverability.

I have 15,799 pix to do and am going to do it in batches of several hundreds pictures at a time.

Given though we can only filter on Optimized, good or poor discoverability, how am I going to know which pictures are left to do?

Especially that I have noticed that, say after two or three batches of hundreds, IM dies and I have to start a new session.

Any idea?

I have a smaller port, so easier, but I simply starting from submission one and working my way up the list. Easiest way to know which ones are already done.

Jill

That's an idea. I only have 521 submissions to do...

Someone serve me a stiff drink...

I'll have one too.......... 873 submissions (+43000 images) to look through :unsure: .

How about giving us 75% commission instead of 50% for the next six months as compensation for the massive rework we have to do :mellow:

I'll get my coat :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

B.t.w. when I count 10 minutes per image.

• 430000 minutes
  • or 7166 hours
  • or 895 days of 8 hours
  • or 2,46 years of continuously working through the weekends and no holidays  :o

It's a massive issue for anyone with a quantity of pictures, given the prices nowadays, I'm of the opinion that my time is better spent doing other things, rather than adding super tags to images that had 50 characters of essential keywords.

How long before the goal posts move again?

I can't help feeling that Alamy should have bought in Google site search (a decade ago) and utilised all Google's expertise which includes stemming, sounds like, misspellings, synonyms, accents and foreign languages etc.

I appreciate that search is a potential competitive edge, but only if you start from state of the art. Which Google is.

Another point regarding the RM or RF issue: we can now switch back and forth in either way without getting Alamy to do it. With the old tools, the decision for which licensee was final. Or at least "final." 

It seems we can now delete an image more easily . . . they disappear from our dashboard, anyway. One good thing--making changes on the new dashboard is very fast.

One thing is sure: no more thinking of a part of a foot as needing a model release for me. No more tiny people in the distance will need model releases either. I've always considered these things rather silly.

"I am that speck in the distance--pay up!" "No no, that's my cousin Jim." 

What was that Chinese curse? May you live in interesting times.  B)

Incidentally the QC emails appear to have gone by the board.

I got one yesterday...

Me, too.

No email and the passed, keyworded, on sale sub still showing as awaiting QC on the old track sumbissions page, which is still live.

No distinction between "ready" and "on sale" anymore, of course.

Today's update and QC is taking its time as well.

Just come back from holiday. My you lot have been busy! Are there still people who don't have the new tool? As far as I can see my dashboard has not changed as yet or am i looking in the wrong place. It could be because i have not submitted for a couple of years nor had I used the new manage my images but i did upload flash this morning and that does not appear to have made any difference.

any pointers gratefully received

Regen

My Edit Image button worked this morning on one image but I just tried another and it took me again to all my images. I wanted to make phrases instead of strings of single words on an image and wound up thinking I should just leave things alone except for adding super tags and maybe adding phrases to the images that don't have 50 keywords. The system wouldn't delete duplicates for me even if I hit Save after making a change so it was all quite tedious and I suspect the strings of single words I had in the first place will probably work as well as phrases.

Paulette

Hi Again All

New MI still not arrived here yet from all the comments looks like it isn't worth it .

Regards

Jon 

Still waiting

I think I will find it a lot better for new submissions as it is essentially straight IPTC. But then I will do 95% of my keywording offline, just supertags in MI.

Tweaking the old stuff is a pain whatever the software.

I  support the list Gen has made above, but would add to the dislikes the 'discoverability' feature encouraging spam keywords by suggesting that the keywording is incomplete unless all 50 keywords are filled.

Absolutely agree, I can't see the point of this feature.

Because I do not have any plans to increase my tag numbers, I did not list it.

But you are quite right.

It would be nice to be able to toggle the "discoverability" feature between looking for 50 keywords (useless) versus just the 10 supertags.  I would like to know which images have less than 10 supertags (I think everyone might).

Archived