The Image Manager thread

Hi Again All

New MI still not arrived here yet from all the comments looks like it isn't worth it .

Regards

Jon 

Still waiting

I think I will find it a lot better for new submissions as it is essentially straight IPTC. But then I will do 95% of my keywording offline, just supertags in MI.

Tweaking the old stuff is a pain whatever the software.

Definitely. I've not bothered keywording in advance up to now but I think it will be essential. I will reserve judegment of the new MI a little longer but from a few tryouts with both old and new images, I am finding it very fiddly and very unintuitive for batch editing.

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

The duplicates are sorted out automatically.

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

I have lots of duplicates because I just copied all uploaded keywords to main, and copied essential keywords from title and main.  So lots of duplicates now, but I find manually deleting them is very difficult.  How to automate this?

One of my images had a huge number of duplicate tags. It took me 5 minutes or so to delete them all one by one.

I think that MI will prevent you from inputting duplicate tags,

The easy way to get rid of duplicates is to select the image(s), add or delete a tag and then save. The system then does it for you , more or less.

Yes, going forward this will not be a problem.  But deleting tags and saving the image is what I call manually having to find all duplicated keywords.  This will be impossible for me to do for all images.  I don't see the "system" doing anything smart here.

You only  need to add or delete ONE tag and then save, the system will then remove all the other duplicates. I just did it on a batch of images. 10 seconds instead of five minutes.

It doesn't delete the the duplicate where it is both a tag and a supertag.

Thanks for that useful tip, Martin. I'll be sure to remember it if I need it again.

This requires that you are not above the upper limit of tags, if so, you will have to delete tags until you are not over the new maximum, as far as I remember from trying to delete one tag only.

For some reason, this function does not work today.  Yesterday, if I made a change to an image and saved, on re-selecting the image, all duplicate keywords were deleted.  Not today.

Whether the initial keyword count was below or above 50 (meaning that if I had 60, i have to delete 11 to get under 50) duplicates are not deleted.  Why?

Is it just me (or the test version) or are some tags broken up by the new tool?

Not when saving, but later. Sometimes on reload; sometimes one or two days later.

Especially tags with two and three letter words seem to be affected.

The same for a lot of my legacy images. The keyword Sainsbury's created a special mess. All funny characters should now be ignored, but sometimes aren't.

Now the s is a separate tag.

Sainsbury's  Supermarket Sainsbury's Superstore Sainsbury's store Sainsbury's shop Sainsbury's logo Sainsbury's sign

broke up into

Sainsbury

s

Superstore

Sainsbury

s

shop

Sainsbury

s

sign

but amazingly also into:

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s Supermarket Sainsbury

s store Sainsbury

s logo Sainsbury

Maybe we must not give Philippe new headaches. Or the people with 50 images of Sainsbury's shops.

I have only one.

Interestingly there are only 31 images for interesting times concept on Alamy. None very good.

Nobody is looking for it either.

wim

Indeed a problem for those with lots of nature pictures. Many animals and plants are named after their discoverer:

• Sharpe's grysbok
  • Sharpe's akalat
  • Burchell's zebra
  • Burchell's coucal
  • Przewalski's horse
  • Przewalski's gazelle
  • Père David's deer
  • etc......
Cheers,

Philippe

Curious. Did you check the results Philippe?

It seems to have worked for me. I got super-tags 'Devil's', 'King's'

I have a number of images from the Women's march on London which have lost their apostrophes, and I'm finding I can't add them now as tags. As I've always added tags/keywords both with and without punctuation as a catch-all method I've now got duplicates :-(

Curious. Did you check the results Philippe?

It seems to have worked for me. I got super-tags 'Devil's', 'King's'

I have a number of images from the Women's march on London which have lost their apostrophes, and I'm finding I can't add them now as tags. As I've always added tags/keywords both with and without punctuation as a catch-all method I've now got duplicates :-(

I have the same problem. See topic here.

Cheers,

Philippe

Thank you. Having read through a great number of pages I think I'm 'just' going to bite the bullet and go through each image making each one the most attractive that I can within the limitations. I need the sales, and hopefully such effort will pay off. Thankfully I only have three and a half-odd thousand images to do......

I've only had access to my iphone for the last few days and noticed i had the new MI, BUT it's a disaster on the phone screen and completely unusable!
Now I have internet access on my desktop and it's very disappointing for the reasons mentioned in other threads.

I use Flickr and I was hoping that the lamy MI would be the same, as the flickr one does exactly as you would expect it to do, ie batch append and ammend, extremely easily and efficiently.
The new MI will work with new uploads, but my old (over keyworded in many cases) uploads are now buggered with no option to see beyond 50 tags to begin deleting dupes or irrelevant tags.
VERY DISAPPOINTED to say the least.

, but my old (over keyworded in many cases) uploads are now buggered with no option to see beyond 50 tags to begin deleting dupes or irrelevant tags.

VERY DISAPPOINTED to say the least.

I can see all my 50+ tags. Deleting them one by one is a bit laborious though.

I'm working from my oldest uploads forward.  This whole thing is working out, because I've wanted to check the old images and make sure they were keyworded correctly.  I've done a few in the past, here and there, but not really gotten with that program.  This is kickstarting me right in the nether regions.

It feels good to get rid of stupid keywords, and make sure relevant ones are added.  Plus I just caught a mistake on a dragonfly image. Apparently I keyworded it as a Widow Skimmer, then worked harder on ID and changed it to Common Whitetail dragonfly.  

But I forgot to change the name in the caption!!!   :(  :unsure:  :blink:  It's a tremendous amount of work, but it will feel very good once done.

I'm working from my oldest uploads forward.  This whole thing is working out, because I've wanted to check the old images and make sure they were keyworded correctly.  I've done a few in the past, here and there, but not really gotten with that program.  This is kickstarting me right in the nether regions.

It feels good to get rid of stupid keywords, and make sure relevant ones are added.  Plus I just caught a mistake on a dragonfly image. Apparently I keyworded it as a Widow Skimmer, then worked harder on ID and changed it to Common Whitetail dragonfly.  

But I forgot to change the name in the caption!!!   :(  :unsure:  :blink:  It's a tremendous amount of work, but it will feel very good once done.

I am working in the opposite direction as the newer ones are likely to be in a better state especially with regard to phrases. The newer ones are probably more valuable as well. I am not in a hurry as they are coming up in real world searches better than my rank/sales would suggest. I have been conscious for some time that my keywords needed a revision and I have been waiting for the new MI and for the new search "rules" to become clearer.

I think the new MI will be MUCH better for future submission, at least for me as I use standard IPTC off line. All I should have to do is select the supertags in MI.

First impressions using PC and large monitor is very favourable.  Will take some getting use to though - just a matter of thinking differently and forgetting what has gone before.

One big ask which has already been mentioned is to be able to edit tags.    I would also like an auto removal of duplicated tags.

It's also workable on my Android powered 7" Nexus Tablet, although a bit cramped.  An 8" or larger would be better.

A negative is that it's completely unusable on my Android smartphone.  The screen is a jumble and images only show occasionally. I think it's too much for the small screen on a smart phone but it's not surprising.

John

I am working in the opposite direction as the newer ones are likely to be in a better state especially with regard to phrases. The newer ones are probably more valuable as well. I aqm not in a hurry as they are coming up in real world searches better than my rank/sales would suggest. I have been conscious for some time that my keywords needed a revision and I have been waiting for the new MI and for the new search "rules" to become clearer.

I think the new MI will be MUCH better for future submission, at least for me as I use standard IPTC off line. All I should have to do is select the supertags in MI.

I agree. I keyword in Bridge. Now I know exactly how to go forward with new submissions. It will be a blessing to just choose supertags rather than moving keywords around three boxes.

Meanwhile, there is work to be done yet on the old ones.

Have you 'all noticed how easy it is to delete an image in the new image manager? Click delete and it's gone. No longer does it hang around staring back at us. But . . . should we still get rid of all the search terms first and Save the none? You must know, Wim. You're a keen deleter as well as an elite Bata dude. Deleting a bunch of messy pasta pics made me feel . . . cleansed. But while I was walking through my dashboard collection, I found occasional groups of submissions that I did not delete, but they were marked deleted. I'm a simple guy with a simple head and simple thoughts . . . and I don't understand what's happening!  :wacko: 

Have you 'all noticed how easy it is to delete an image in the new image manager? Click delete and it's gone. No longer does it hang around staring back at us. But . . . should we still get rid of all the search terms first and Save the none? You must know, Wim. You're a keen deleter as well as an elite Bata dude. Deleting a bunch of messy pasta pics made me feel . . . cleansed. But while I was walking through my dashboard collection, I found occasional groups of submissions that I did not delete, but they were marked deleted. I'm a simple guy with a simple head and simple thoughts . . . and I don't understand what's happening! :wacko:

Oh, well, Ed. Join me. We've lost our minds. ;)

Have you 'all noticed how easy it is to delete an image in the new image manager? Click delete and it's gone. No longer does it hang around staring back at us. But . . . should we still get rid of all the search terms first and Save the none? You must know, Wim. You're a keen deleter as well as an elite Bata dude. Deleting a bunch of messy pasta pics made me feel . . . cleansed. But while I was walking through my dashboard collection, I found occasional groups of submissions that I did not delete, but they were marked deleted. I'm a simple guy with a simple head and simple thoughts . . . and I don't understand what's happening!  :wacko: 

Too much praise I'm afraid. Have been too busy repairing all those broken tags; repairing the results; repairing the corrections; repairing the broken tags; repairing repairing repairing.

All this while trying to figure out what had just happened to my images due to the search engine change that was no re-rank, but happened to drop me from page one to page 54 for a very common search.

Maybe make them RF before deleting?

I don't think the process has been changed: as soon as you have pressed Delete 1 selected image, there is no going back. There is no way to edit any bit either, just as it was before. So yes if you want as much control as possible, proceed as before. I have a special pseudo for it too. Two even.

If you have a replacement image, I would put the Alamy ref # in the tags and the caption: this image has been deleted, please use image #.

That way people can go to the new one with just a click without copy/pasting. For some time I also include the ref # of the old image in the tags of the new one. Because although we don't see it, clients keep using those ref # when ordering an image. Years later even. In some cases clients keep using the old image even when there's a much improved version available. Obviously I am not deleting an image like that.

wim

An issue I've seen this morning is that of "clipping" of words in some of my images despite no evidence of such in the new IM.

What I'm seeing is that zooming through on my image from the search engine some keywords shown are clipped. I have Thailand showing as tha, and congested showing as co. Etc etc

Anyone else seeing this?

In the top left where it reads "All submissions    Images ....." Mine says I have 10916 which is incorrect. I had suspected this is including deleted images. I just checked under a pseudo I previously used for moving images into that I wanted to delete, this still shows a preview of the images I deleted back in 2013. Why are they still there? Why are they included in the number of images count? 

Archived