The Image Manager thread

Have just read this entire thread and my conclusion is this.

Two scenarios -

1/ If you upload a new photograph (after acceptance) the new system looks straight forward.

However as i keyword quite lightly i believe most of my photographs will at best be amber not green. As i have never spammed before and i don't see the point now.

For me spam will certainly give more views but most likely irrelevant search results of buyers

2/ My current collection about 6,300

Just need to check i am happy with the 10 `supertags` For peace of mind i don't mind doing this.

Again, i will be sticking with amber not green as i don't intend to create useless keywording

So keeping it simple for the next 90 days and then review

Big plus for me is that i can now do some work on the move with a tablet !

Have just read this entire thread and my conclusion is this.

Two scenarios -

1/ If you upload a new photograph (after acceptance) the new system looks straight forward.

However as i keyword quite lightly i believe most of my photographs will at best be amber not green. As i have never spammed before and i don't see the point now.

For me spam will certainly give more views but most likely irrelevant search results of buyers

2/ My current collection about 6,300

Just need to check i am happy with the 10 `supertags` For peace of mind i don't mind doing this.

Again, i will be sticking with amber not green as i don't intend to create useless keywording

So keeping it simple for the next 90 days and then review

Big plus for me is that i can now do some work on the move with a tablet !

Me too. I am merely planning to reconstitute key phrases which have got broken by Alamy's (and my own) efforts and revisit the supertags. I won't be chasing "discoverability" as I too feel it will be wasted effort that will lead to inappropriate views (and low CTR). I am working on the basis that editing tags will eliminate duplicate keywords.

I've somehow got my right hand panel dragged down off the main part of the page and cannot get it back, any ideas?

In the black top bar, there are 2 icons that represent the panel layout, click one of those. It will not remember your preference though, like with the client's side Alamy pages.

There are 2 other icons that let you choose between two ways of showing thumbnails.

wim

Thanks, but that has not changed anything

I have closed all Alamy pages and restarted computer too but it is still down there

I had same problem, Paul, and finally figured out I need to change the size of browser window.

Like an iMac Goldilocks, I tried: "Command +" a few times, "Command -" a few times.... until the window size was Just Right, 

so the Right Column Image Info appeared at top of column, instead of way down, below the images at the left.

- Ann

I'm still trying to figure out what is the point of "discoverability"!

It must have a relevance or it would not exist,perhaps someone can enlighten us.

Looking at many of my sales they fall into the poor discoverability category.

Making them more discoverable would i sell more images?

Craig

I doubt it.  I have only 916 out of 10,967 images with poor discoverability.  I also have a three star QC rating. 

But I'm having the worst month for sales at Alamy since starting out ten years ago.

Looks like we can now switch between RM and RF by ourselves.

This is actually really important. The rule has always been very strict that an image sold as RM could never be sold as RF - and vice versa. But are we now able to change the licence type for old images? Some customers may feel uncomfortable with this.

Yes. You have to remove all restrictions off the image first (and save). But then you can change the license type and re-add restrictions.

I'm not sure if it would let you do this for an image that has already sold.

In the manual for the new MI tools, it says, "This is where you select the ‘License type’. Alamy recommends a royaltyfree (RF) license as this is most popular with customers"  ... so this suggests to me that Alamy are now actively encouraging the use of RF over RM.

Also, pictures with unreleased people or property can now be RF, even if you don't tick the "editorial only" checkbox.

I always thought keyword order mattered. The most important first, etc. I know Alamy recommended that sometime in the past.  So I've always tried to be careful to do that. As a result, some of the last keywords I use are "outdoors, blue sky,copyspace,copy space,nobody,Oklahoma,US,USA,United States,North America"

A few of my images I looked at to fix the super tags, the last keywords I used were at the top. Not the way I inputted them.  If order doesn't matter, and of course I didn't assign super tag to those, it's ok I guess.  But if order matters, were screwed. Especially if we add less important keywords after the fact to optimize our images, because those will be on top.  I wish Alamy would address this because its making me a bit anxious. I don't feel "outdoors" should be above "frozen lake" just as a for instance.

Hi All 

Must be the only one still on the old system.

Jon

No, your'e not. Look on the bright side though, by the time this thread burns out a bit all the hard work of finding out how the new system works will be nicely distilled down for those not on the system yet.......keep up the good work guys! :-)

This is actually really important. The rule has always been very strict that an image sold as RM could never be sold as RF - and vice versa. But are we now able to change the licence type for old images? Some customers may feel uncomfortable with this.

Yes. You have to remove all restrictions off the image first (and save). But then you can change the license type and re-add restrictions.

In the manual for the new MI tools, it says, "This is where you select the ‘License type’. Alamy recommends a royaltyfree (RF) license as this is most popular with customers"  ... so this suggests to me that Alamy are now actively encouraging the use of RF over RM.

Not to question Alamy's wisdom. They know their customers. But do those of you with a large number of RF images (I have very few) find this to be the case -- i.e. RF images sell better than RM ones? I've never licensed an RF image on Alamy.

Also, pictures with unreleased people or property can now be RF, even if you don't tick the "editorial only" checkbox.

Thanks. Strange. On the other hand you could also tick the boxes incorrectly in the old system. But it still puzzles me if an images can be sold as RM one week and RF the next.

Thanks. Strange. On the other hand you could also tick the boxes incorrectly in the old system. But it still puzzles me if an images can be sold as RM one week and RF the next.

I would like to think that Alamy treats us like professionals and we certainly wouldn't flip flop from RF to RM all over the place.  But I am still surprised to see that you can change the license on an image that has already sold.

It still amazes me the number of images selling RF that have all kinds of property that should have releases as well as those that have people that should have releases.

Also, it does appear that the caption is no longer searchable either.

Jill

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

The duplicates are sorted out automatically.

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

I have lots of duplicates because I just copied all uploaded keywords to main, and copied essential keywords from title and main.  So lots of duplicates now, but I find manually deleting them is very difficult.  How to automate this?

Edit: I'm going to go blind if I have to do this manually - if I'm under the 50 tag limit I'm going to have to leave the duplicates in.

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

I have lots of duplicates because I just copied all uploaded keywords to main, and copied essential keywords from title and main.  So lots of duplicates now, but I find manually deleting them is very difficult.  How to automate this?

One of my images had a huge number of duplicate tags. It took me 5 minutes or so to delete them all one by one.

I think that MI will prevent you from inputting duplicate tags,

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

One of my images had a huge number of duplicate tags. It took me 5 minutes or so to delete them all one by one.

The easy way to get rid of duplicates is to select the image(s), add or delete a tag and then save. The system then does it for you , more or less.

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

Edit: I'm going to go blind if I have to do this manually - if I'm under the 50 tag limit I'm going to have to leave the duplicates in.

Would it hurt to keep duplicates? After all, it increases discoverability if this feature is a matter of tag count.

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

The easy way to get rid of duplicates is to select the image(s), add or delete a tag and then save. The system then does it for you , more or less.

Yes, going forward this will not be a problem.  But deleting tags and saving the image is what I call manually having to find all duplicated keywords.  This will be impossible for me to do for all images.  I don't see the "system" doing anything smart here.

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

Yes, going forward this will not be a problem.  But deleting tags and saving the image is what I call manually having to find all duplicated keywords.  This will be impossible for me to do for all images.  I don't see the "system" doing anything smart here.

You only  need to add or delete ONE tag and then save, the system will then remove all the other duplicates. I just did it on a batch of images. 10 seconds instead of five minutes.

It doesn't delete the the duplicate where it is both a tag and a supertag.

Beginning to like it, have successfully edited keywords using my Android tablet, and have discovered how to batch add or delete stuff. This is what I (we?) have been asking for, so well done Alamy.

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

You only  need to add or delete ONE tag and then save, the system will then remove all the other duplicates. I just did it on a batch of images. 10 seconds instead of five minutes.

Thanks for that useful tip, Martin. I'll be sure to remember it if I need it again.

Okay, things are starting to come together, even for me, as dim and digitally challenged as I am. I can work with these tools. It's too soon to tell if it's faster than the other set of tools, but I'm sure it was designed mostly to help buyers. I'm half way through my weekend captures.  :mellow:

Jill

wim

How do you mean Wim? 

Thanks for that useful tip, Martin. I'll be sure to remember it if I need it again.

This requires that you are not above the upper limit of tags, if so, you will have to delete tags until you are not over the new maximum, as far as I remember from trying to delete one tag only.

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

Interesting theory, except that I have the new system and my wife doesn't!  Much to her annoyance, I might add. ;)

Archived