The Image Manager thread

Can we please have two more categories: Culture (for performing art subjects such as Dance, Theatre, Opera, Music) and Politics. 

Are the categories going to be of any significance? In all the years I submitted to microstock I never came across any indication that the faff of selecting a category made any difference to what I sold. 

Can we please have two more categories: Culture (for performing art subjects such as Dance, Theatre, Opera, Music) and Politics. 

Are the categories going to be of any significance? In all the years I submitted to microstock I never came across any indication that the faff of selecting a category made any difference to what I sold. 

I was just wondering the same thing.  What's the point of categories?

"... if the Alamy rank is no longer relevant ..."

That is still just an assumption based on very limited information ... I am adopting a watching brief, the analysis is ongoing.

Right.  So, is Alamy suggesting adding as many keywords as possible which encourages spamming but improves discoverability or tight keywording but lesser discoverability.  To me that's a mixed message.  50 tags is not a tight keywording in my opinion.

As to the copy and paste, the only thing I can suggest is that in new submissions put in your caption and one common keyword.  Then do a search with that keyword and the image you want to copy from should be in the results. Click on that one and the new one and then click on all the keywords.  About the only way I can think of right now.

Jill

That would require waiting for a daily update, but in any case you can't get an image from a search and a new image on screen at the same time- the search screen replaces the submission screen.

As I am very new to this, it all sounds quite scary.

I don't have the new thing yet and reading all the comments has really made me wonder if I will be able to manage.

Probably a senior moment

It's early days, but here's two annoying, frustrating things: why can't I find the introductory video after bypassing it on entering Alamy's dashboard, and why don't we have common use of the backarrow? 

Ed,

Try searching Alamy Image Manager in YouTube.

Ian.

As to the copy and paste, the only thing I can suggest is that in new submissions put in your caption and one common keyword.  Then do a search with that keyword and the image you want to copy from should be in the results. Click on that one and the new one and then click on all the keywords.  About the only way I can think of right now.

Jill

That would require waiting for a daily update, but in any case you can't get an image from a search and a new image on screen at the same time- the search screen replaces the submission screen.

Have you tried two browser windows? Or even just two tabs?

Jill

Yes. You can't copy and paste tags beyond the capacity of the text box- 30 characters.

I was just wondering the same thing.  What's the point of categories?

Me too.

I can see that it might help people who are browsing Alamy, rather than searching, but it is a pain in the neck choosing categories.  Would it be policed, I wonder?

I stopped uploading to one agency which insisted on me selecting three categories for each image.  It just wasn't worth my time.

Jill

Yes. You can't copy and paste tags beyond the capacity of the text box- 30 characters.

Did you try selecting the two submissions?  The new one and the one with the images you want to copy from?

Jill

Jill

Did you try selecting the two submissions?  The new one and the one with the images you want to copy from?

Jill

I can exceed the 30 character limit when copying from a Google spreadsheet, if that helps.

Jill

You can paste or type more than 30 characters into the tag text box. I just typed (or pasted) all the text numbers "one,two, ..., fifteen, sixteen" and got sixteen tags. The text box scrolled. That was using latest Firefox in WIn10. My text box was a fair bit longer than 30 characters as well. I didn't try a single tag longer than 30 characters

Jill

You can paste or type more than 30 characters into the tag text box. I just typed (or pasted) all the text numbers "one,two, ..., fifteen, sixteen" and got sixteen tags. The text box scrolled. That was using latest Firefox in WIn10. My text box was a fair bit longer than 30 characters as well. I didn't try a single tag longer than 30 characters

That does work with plain text, but unfortunately if you try to copy tags there's a carriage return character at the end of each one- I checked in Notepad- which limits it to 30 in all. When I paste from Notepad, without carriage returns, the text doesn't stay in the box but is broken up into separate 30-character tags.

If I type direct into the tag box, the tag is split off when I get to 30 characters and I have to start again.

Win7, FF, same in Chrome.

I will be doing 95% of my tagging offline in PhotoMechanic before I convert, clean and upload. I have been waiting 15 years for Alamy to adopt industry standard IPTC. I guess I will still have to select my supertags in Manage Images and perhaps key or paste location data?

Agree they can be a pain.

But I can imagine a buyer using them as a filter. For example if you want to look for images of London and you dont want to get pages of red carpets or politicians.

But what category for 'London' in the example you choose. There is no category for place/location/city and, to my mind, it isn't Travel either. Categories are a very blunt instrument at best and I can't see why Alamy have introduced them, even optionally.

Edited to Add.... The category issue is even more confusing than I thought. I've just noticed Alamy have tweeted a link to their VLog on Categories. The video mentions 50 categories, including 'Australia' as an example, which doesn't appear in the list of categories I can see in image manager. The speaker also says these categories are hand-picked, suggesting they are curated by Alamy themseleves. I'm baffled.

Archived