The Image Manager thread

From the pdf manual:

Note: The discoverability bar is not in any way ‘reading’ or ‘scoring’ the
quality of your metadata, it simply increases with the volume of searchable
information you enter.

My guess is that it somehow has no eyes yet. Just a calculator.

wim

All my information seems to have been preserved. 

Keywords using quotes or brackets like “Canada Goose” and [branta Canadensis] have been preserved. So it is mainly upgrading some existing tags like “Canada Geese” to a supertag. Previously I could not get “Canada Geese” into the essentials box due to the 50 character limit, so it converted to only a tag.

I also like the batch editing on similar images. It allows you to declare common supertags and common tags and add tags while leaving unique tags on individual similar images in place.

I also like being able to pick similars for rekeywording from my entire collection, using the search function.

To use a natural history expression rekeywording will proceed like “shit through a duck”.

I have first hand experience with that, when my husband bought me two baby Peking ducks for Easter. It was too cold for them to be outdoors, so I had to keep them in the house for a week. No matter how often I changed the newspaper in their box, it was continuously soiled. The whole house smelled like duck poop.

It was cute watching them swim in the bathtub, though!

I haven't got a good handle on the new system, yet. I can work on one image, but I'm scared to death to try multiples.

I tried searching for one of my images and then clicking the "Edit Image" button. It did take me to the new Manage Images but just to the full list of images with the last submission first. I guess we can't go straight to the specific image we want to edit. Unless I am missing something.

Paulette

It does go straight to the image with my images, so that's probably just today's phase of the roll-out.

wim

+1, goes straight to a specific image here too....

Takes me to the image as well.

I tried it again with a different image and it still isn't doing it for me. I shall be patient. I can't quite face working on this task yet anyway. My mind needs to get comfortable enough that I can find my way.

Paulette

From the pdf manual:

information you enter.

wim

Using the word discoverabillity, especially with the word poor, makes it look like no one will find your images.  Some images just don't require a whole pile of keywords, and with the tags, that cuts down on some of the keywords, (although can actually cause more in some situations).  Adding useless keywords to increase discoverability will simple give the image a lot of useless views.

Jill

I've had a look at the new system for a fair while now and to be fair, it's a pile of old sh*te.  Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? Alamy has essentially taken something that worked perfectly well and broken it.  I'm stunned at the lack of user friendliness, it's extremely difficult to navigate around and I can't even select a picture to keyword it. As for the discoverability business, of 711 pictures on sale, 699 suffer from 'poor discoverability'. How did Alamy come up with this rubbish? What makes this new system even more laughable is the 5 images I've sold in my first year are in the 'poor discoverability' section. It's just embarrassing!

Don't know what my next move is now - if I can't keyword images and if almost all of my port is classed as essentially invisible, what's the point?

I've had a look at the new system for a fair while now and to be fair, it's a pile of old sh*te.  Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? Alamy has essentially taken something that worked perfectly well and broken it.  I'm stunned at the lack of user friendliness, it's extremely difficult to navigate around and I can't even select a picture to keyword it. As for the discoverability business, of 711 pictures on sale, 699 suffer from 'poor discoverability'. How did Alamy come up with this rubbish? What makes this new system even more laughable is the 5 images I've sold in my first year are in the 'poor discoverability' section. It's just embarrassing!

Don't know what my next move is now - if I can't keyword images and if almost all of my port is classed as essentially invisible, what's the point?

If you're not able to select an image by clicking on it, i don't know what to suggest. The method of selecting a range of images is explained in the help pdf. Click on first, hold down shift, click on last- it's standard browser stuff. "Select all passed" box at top right to select a whole sub.

Don't know what my next move is now - if I can't keyword images and if almost all of my port is classed as essentially invisible, what's the point

Easy - do it all offline, upload and trhen select the supertags (if you want them). Job done.

And then the images are keyworded with standard IPTC that will be accepted by most other libraries if you decide to go elsewhere.

We can select two from 24 categories, but there are 56 categories on the website.

Admittedly, one is Stockimo, and another is Vectors and Illustrations, but that is still 30 categories we can't choose.  If there is any point in choosing (I have my doubts).

Where do I find these 56 categories?  Actually, where do I see categories when I search?

Ryan Walters said "ummm.... am i missing something. nothing has changed for me "   :huh:  

Our surnames begin with 'W'. This topic was started by Matt Ashmore. It is probably being rolled out alphabetically. A common discrimination.

We can select two from 24 categories, but there are 56 categories on the website.

Admittedly, one is Stockimo, and another is Vectors and Illustrations, but that is still 30 categories we can't choose. If there is any point in choosing (I have my doubts).

Where do I find these 56 categories? Actually, where do I see categories when I search?

On the Alamy front page, if you scroll down a bit there's a dozen or so categories with a button to show more.

I've had a look at the new system for a fair while now and to be fair, it's a pile of old sh*te. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? Alamy has essentially taken something that worked perfectly well and broken it. I'm stunned at the lack of user friendliness, it's extremely difficult to navigate around and I can't even select a picture to keyword it. As for the discoverability business, of 711 pictures on sale, 699 suffer from 'poor discoverability'. How did Alamy come up with this rubbish? What makes this new system even more laughable is the 5 images I've sold in my first year are in the 'poor discoverability' section. It's just embarrassing!

Don't know what my next move is now - if I can't keyword images and if almost all of my port is classed as essentially invisible, what's the point

Easy - do it all offline, upload and trhen select the supertags (if you want them). Job done.

And then the images are keyworded with standard IPTC that will be accepted by most other libraries if you decide to go elsewhere.

I'll second that. I had a submission pass QC this afternoon. It was already on sale when I opened MI.

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

The duplicates are sorted out automatically.

wim

Admittedly, one is Stockimo, and another is Vectors and Illustrations, but that is still 30 categories we can't choose. If there is any point in choosing (I have my doubts).

Where do I find these 56 categories? Actually, where do I see categories when I search?

On the Alamy front page, if you scroll down a bit there's a dozen or so categories with a button to show more.

Thanks.

I've somehow got my right hand panel dragged down off the main part of the page and cannot get it back, any ideas?

In the black top bar, there are 2 icons that represent the panel layout, click one of those. It will not remember your preference though, like with the client's side Alamy pages.

There are 2 other icons that let you choose between two ways of showing thumbnails.

wim

Thanks, but that has not changed anything

I have closed all Alamy pages and restarted computer too but it is still down there

Is your browser set to maximize?

wim

Thanks Wim, somehow the browser was set at 90%

Phew, this amount of images is going to take some sorting out at least I can see it all now at the same time

I've had a look at the new system for a fair while now and to be fair, it's a pile of old sh*te. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? Alamy has essentially taken something that worked perfectly well and broken it. I'm stunned at the lack of user friendliness, it's extremely difficult to navigate around and I can't even select a picture to keyword it. As for the discoverability business, of 711 pictures on sale, 699 suffer from 'poor discoverability'. How did Alamy come up with this rubbish? What makes this new system even more laughable is the 5 images I've sold in my first year are in the 'poor discoverability' section. It's just embarrassing!

I think they've caused some confusion and angst by using the word 'discoverability'

The instructions state that the discoverability bar indicates how much room there is to provide more information. For my poor discoverabilty images (the vast majority) I need to have 45 tags to get to green. I don't think that most of my images should have so many tags, and to use that many may harm CTR.

Personally, I'll probably ignore it and carry on as normal. Except to make sure each image has the maximum number of appropriate supertags.

I know Alamy has now placed the keywords in the order in which we have put them, but for some, it would be nice if I could sort alphabetically so could quick get rid of duplicates.

Jill

The duplicates are sorted out automatically.

wim

I have images where there are duplicates. This may be where one is a supertag and the other is not, but they are there.

Jill

Early days, but it has taken me much longer to deal with a small batch than I normally would. I managed to overwrite the caption of one image with that of another etc.

Not got the hang of copying and pasting at all, ended up deleting stuff and having to retype it all.  In the past I would select a collection of images from the same location and do the lot, hopefully that is still possible?

Tried to watch the video but so is everyone else, so no joy there.

Hopefully just a case of old dog new tricks, a tad slow on the uptake...

Edit - just watched the video, wish I had seen it before starting to use the software!

From the pdf manual:

information you enter.

wim

If it's just a calculator, which appears to be the case, then the implication is that quantity of tags is more important than quality of tags. A lot of poor tags -- irrelevant, inaccurate, etc, -- can actually make an image less "discoverable." This could mislead new contributors into thinking that piling keywords higher (much like uploading similars) is a good thing. Or perhaps I'm missing something?

Archived