The Image Manager thread

As to the copy and paste, the only thing I can suggest is that in new submissions put in your caption and one common keyword.  Then do a search with that keyword and the image you want to copy from should be in the results. Click on that one and the new one and then click on all the keywords.  About the only way I can think of right now.

Jill

That would require waiting for a daily update, but in any case you can't get an image from a search and a new image on screen at the same time- the search screen replaces the submission screen.

Have you tried two browser windows? Or even just two tabs?

Yes. You can't copy and paste tags beyond the capacity of the text box- 30 characters.

You can paste or type more than 30 characters into the tag text box. I just typed (or pasted) all the text numbers "one,two, ..., fifteen, sixteen" and got sixteen tags. The text box scrolled. That was using latest Firefox in WIn10. My text box was a fair bit longer than 30 characters as well. I didn't try a single tag longer than 30 characters

That does work with plain text, but unfortunately if you try to copy tags there's a carriage return character at the end of each one- I checked in Notepad- which limits it to 30 in all. When I paste from Notepad, without carriage returns, the text doesn't stay in the box but is broken up into separate 30-character tags.

If I type direct into the tag box, the tag is split off when I get to 30 characters and I have to start again.

Win7, FF, same in Chrome.

OK.  I think I get what you mean.

To copy tags from picture A to picture B, you need to select both pictures; which can be a pain if they are not in the same submission, or are a long way apart in terms of time..

You can use Boolean search to find your pictures, so beer OR wine returns all of your pictures with beer or wine.  You can also restrict the search to caption, tags, supertags, or location.  I can't see any other way around it at the moment.

Can we please have two more categories: Culture (for performing art subjects such as Dance, Theatre, Opera, Music) and Politics. 

Are the categories going to be of any significance? In all the years I submitted to microstock I never came across any indication that the faff of selecting a category made any difference to what I sold. 

Agree they can be a pain.

But I can imagine a buyer using them as a filter. For example if you want to look for images of London and you dont want to get pages of red carpets or politicians.

But what category for 'London' in the example you choose. There is no category for place/location/city and, to my mind, it isn't Travel either. Categories are a very blunt instrument at best and I can't see why Alamy have introduced them, even optionally.

It depends on the picture, I suppose.

A picture of London might be travel.  A picture in London might be something else.

It is going to degenerate very quickly, though.  I've just browsed page 1 of Travel,  and while I guess most of them might be correctly categorised, already some aren't (IMHO).  It won't be long before people start categorising pictures of a double yellow line which could have been taken anywhere, but was taken in London, as 'Travel.'

I wonder if 'good discoverability' images come up before 'poor discoverability' images in a search?

My experience is that they don't. There are other factors at play in determining where images are placed. It used to be rank but now, in my experience, rank appears to be of little relevance. For the moment, discoverability of an image is more about quantity of keywords rather than quality. Probably, as always, better to keep a small number of relevant keywords than pad them out till the bar turns green.

Searching for the images

As to the copy and paste, the only thing I can suggest is that in new submissions put in your caption and one common keyword.  Then do a search with that keyword and the image you want to copy from should be in the results. Click on that one and the new one and then click on all the keywords.  About the only way I can think of right now.

Jill

That would require waiting for a daily update, but in any case you can't get an image from a search and a new image on screen at the same time- the search screen replaces the submission screen.

Yes. You can't copy and paste tags beyond the capacity of the text box- 30 characters.

You can paste or type more than 30 characters into the tag text box. I just typed (or pasted) all the text numbers "one,two, ..., fifteen, sixteen" and got sixteen tags. The text box scrolled. That was using latest Firefox in WIn10. My text box was a fair bit longer than 30 characters as well. I didn't try a single tag longer than 30 characters

That does work with plain text, but unfortunately if you try to copy tags there's a carriage return character at the end of each one- I checked in Notepad- which limits it to 30 in all. When I paste from Notepad, without carriage returns, the text doesn't stay in the box but is broken up into separate 30-character tags.

If I type direct into the tag box, the tag is split off when I get to 30 characters and I have to start again.

To copy tags from picture A to picture B, you need to select both pictures; which can be a pain if they are not in the same submission, or are a long way apart in terms of time..

You can use Boolean search to find your pictures, so beer OR wine returns all of your pictures with beer or wine.  You can also restrict the search to caption, tags, supertags, or location.  I can't see any other way around it at the moment.

Searching for the images is no problem, it's, as you say, selecting both.

There's supposed to be no character limit in tags, but I certainly have a 30-character limit.

Searching for the images

Jill

There's supposed to be no character limit in tags, but I certainly have a 30-character limit.

Certainly that's the case for me. I tried to add the tag "london international financial futures exchange" to one of my shots but the tag was terminated after the fourth word.

Searching for the images

Jill

Certainly that's the case for me. I tried to add the tag "london international financial futures exchange" to one of my shots but the tag was terminated after the fourth word.

I think there is a four word limit on supertags.  I entered 1 2 3 4 5 and 1 2 3 4 was entered as a supertag.

Looks like 4 words or 30 letters, whichever is first. I only got as far as "london international financial". The rest is discarded.

As to the KW reuse, I'll have to rely on reasonably adjacent images to copy from. Seems a bit heath robinson.

We can select two from 24 categories, but there are 56 categories on the website.

Admittedly, one is Stockimo, and another is Vectors and Illustrations, but that is still 30 categories we can't choose.  If there is any point in choosing (I have my doubts).

Anybody found a digitally altered tick box or equivalent yet?

wim

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that there wasn't one.  I haven't seen anything either.  Interesting that they dropped that as it could be an important factor to some buyers.

Jill

wim

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that there wasn't one.  I haven't seen anything either.  Interesting that they dropped that as it could be an important factor to some buyers.

Jill

Yes, indeed. News images for books, papers and magazines are not only from the news upload.

wim

Jill

Especially for News but then most people who shoot news should know that manipulating an image is a big, potentially career limiting, No-No. Reuters I believe now only accept OOC JPEGS from their photographers.

That's curious. I just checked the image's keywords in case I'd got it wrong, which wouldn't have surprised me, but I can confirm that there are four words in the tag amounting to 38 characters.

Looks like you can't input a tag with more than 30 characters OR a supertag with with more than 4 words.

I just did a search with BHZ and some relevant subject searches, and my placement is still good. I wonder when, if I don't revamp my keywording, will negative placement take hold?  :unsure:

Be vigilant I should think: If a lot of new images are getting in front of yours and those images do have a lot of keyphrases in stead of just keywords, that's the sign they're overtaking you.

Again, you could test this yourself with the second best placed image for a certain keyword or key phrase. Re-keyword the second best with exactly the same keywords it has now and see if it's overtaking your #1.

wim

That's curious. I just checked the image's keywords in case I'd got it wrong, which wouldn't have surprised me, but I can confirm that there are four words in the tag amounting to 38 characters.

Looks like you can't input a tag with more than 30 characters OR a supertag with with more than 4 words.

I think that's probably the case - though I'm curious to know why you only got as far as three words before the rest were discarded. The last letter of "futures" is the 30th character so the word should have been included in the tag.

I think that's probably the case - though I'm curious to know why you only got as far as three words before the rest were discarded. The last letter of "futures" is the 30th character so the word should have been included in the tag.  

That was Mark.  I typed qwertyuiop etc until MI entered the tag (30 Characters). I then typed 1 2 3 4 5 until MI entered the supertag (4 words).  You'll have to stick to LIFFE   ;)

So do I, most images with poor discoverability :( It seems I now have rather few images in my portfolio?

Need to discover how to work on batches that includes images from multiple submissions.

The idea that more keywords is better has been my main problem with the new system. I liked the old 'image not ready' so I could easily see which recently-uploaded images needed work, and then mark them as finished, even if they didn't have huge numbers of keywords. That is much harder to do now.

You can work on batches of similar images by using the 'search' option rather than the 'filters' tab.

So do I, most images with poor discoverability :( It seems I now have rather few images in my portfolio?

Need to discover how to work on batches that includes images from multiple submissions.

The idea that more keywords is better has been my main problem with the new system. I liked the old 'image not ready' so I could easily see which recently-uploaded images needed work, and then mark them as finished, even if they didn't have huge numbers of keywords. That is much harder to do now.

You can work on batches of similar images by using the 'search' option rather than the 'filters' tab.

If you go to the Discoverability tab and you tick the Not on sale box, you'll have you're image not ready images back.

wim

Yep... the "more keywords is better" seems like it would encourage keyword spamming, both intentional and unintentional, trying to make that bar turn green.

Archived