The Image Manager thread

I have only just started using the new IM, but having started, I will immediately add my voice to the calls for an easier deselect process. 

I selected a number of non-contiguous images to make the same change to each of them.  I could not believe that before I could work on another image, I had to painstakingly go back and find and deselect all the images I had selected for the previous change.  Utterly impractical, how can anyone ever have thought this was a good idea?  I would prefer automatic deselection on selecting another image, but can see that this could be annoying if you accidentally clicked the wrong image having taken the trouble to select several, so I would agree with and wholeheartedly endorse the requests that have been made for a single-click always-visible "deselect all" button.

Also, the inability to work on legacy images that have over 50 tags is immensely frustrating, particularly those where the system has wrongly guessed what should be single word or multiple keywords (I have a bizarre "south United Kingdom" tag, for example).  I cannot correct such errors without also at the same time working on the tags to reduce them to below 50 - even the single straight deletion of this nonsense tag is not permitted if there are still more than 50 other tags left afterwards.  I simply do not have the time or will to go through over 11,000 images many of which have more than 50 tags.  Another example, I have others where combinations of south/Latin/America/American are all separated and could do with being combined into appropriate two word tags, but the work involved to deal with this would be immense, because most if not all also have over 50 tags, and dealing reviewing all the other tags to get below 50 on an image-by-image basis because of this is just not worth the effort - it would involve hours and hours of work, which could usefully be spent in other much more productive ways.

Graham

single-click always-visible "deselect all" button.

"clear selection" at top right of the image pane. On the grey bar with the blue cross.

Leaving stray tags doesn't have any search significance.

+1 on the over-50 though. There are a fair few early images I won't be modifying in a hurry because of that

I have only just started using the new IM, but having started, I will immediately add my voice to the calls for an easier deselect process. 

I selected a number of non-contiguous images to make the same change to each of them.  I could not believe that before I could work on another image, I had to painstakingly go back and find and deselect all the images I had selected for the previous change.  Utterly impractical, how can anyone ever have thought this was a good idea?  I would prefer automatic deselection on selecting another image, but can see that this could be annoying if you accidentally clicked the wrong image having taken the trouble to select several, so I would agree with and wholeheartedly endorse the requests that have been made for a single-click always-visible "deselect all" button.

Also, the inability to work on legacy images that have over 50 tags is immensely frustrating, particularly those where the system has wrongly guessed what should be single word or multiple keywords (I have a bizarre "south United Kingdom" tag, for example).  I cannot correct such errors without also at the same time working on the tags to reduce them to below 50 - even the single straight deletion of this nonsense tag is not permitted if there are still more than 50 other tags left afterwards.  I simply do not have the time or will to go through over 11,000 images many of which have more than 50 tags.  Another example, I have others where combinations of south/Latin/America/American are all separated and could do with being combined into appropriate two word tags, but the work involved to deal with this would be immense, because most if not all also have over 50 tags, and dealing reviewing all the other tags to get below 50 on an image-by-image basis because of this is just not worth the effort - it would involve hours and hours of work, which could usefully be spent in other much more productive ways.

Graham

Repeating what I have already said somewhere else or maybe higher up in this thread but I think what is really needed is a single click remove all tags in multiple images so that it would be possible to simply paste in a new set. As it is, pasting in new tags just adds to what is already there and makes it incredibly difficult to standardise a set of images - even worse once you go over the 50 tags. This would make the system usable for revisiting old images and make it much easier to tag new ones. I don't know how the system is designed but I suspect it would be possible to intoduce a delete all tags in multiple images button without too much fuss. This would be a vast improvement.

And if it were possible to modify the user interface so it conforms to standard UI behaviour, that would be fantastic - single click to select an image, deselect first one if a new image selected, cmd (control) click to select multiple non-contiguous images, shift-click already implemented on contiguious images.

For me, it could be useful for them to delete the keywords that formerly appeared in the Comprehensive field. Those keywords were either duplicates or words not absolutely necessary. I had actually assumed that would have been done.

Paulette

Graham

Repeating what I have already said somewhere else or maybe higher up in this thread but I think what is really needed is a single click remove all tags in multiple images so that it would be possible to simply paste in a new set. As it is, pasting in new tags just adds to what is already there and makes it incredibly difficult to standardise a set of images - even worse once you go over the 50 tags. This would make the system usable for revisiting old images and make it much easier to tag new ones. I don't know how the system is designed but I suspect it would be possible to intoduce a delete all tags in multiple images button without too much fuss. This would be a vast improvement.

And if it were possible to modify the user interface so it conforms to standard UI behaviour, that would be fantastic - single click to select an image, deselect first one if a new image selected, cmd (control) click to select multiple non-contiguous images, shift-click already implemented on contiguious images.

Better still would be select ALL tags (including the ones over the fifty limit) which could then be deleted OR copied and posted into notepad, to see which we really want to delete, because as it has become clear to everyone, the 50 tags on display may well not be the ones you want to purge.

I'm sorry if this seems like it makes sense.

Graham

Better still would be select ALL tags (including the ones over the fifty limit) which could then be deleted OR copied and posted into notepad, to see which we really want to delete, because as it has become clear to everyone, the 50 tags on display may well not be the ones you want to purge.

I'm sorry if this seems like it makes sense.

Yes I totally agree - that would be the best thing. However, the tags are not available as text in the new IM so this might not be possible without a significant re-design of the interface or even of the database whereas it should be a fairly trivial matter to implement a remove all tags button. I'm trying to suggest something that might actually be readily feasible and really improve things if Alamy are listening.

For me, it could be useful for them to delete the keywords that formerly appeared in the Comprehensive field. Those keywords were either duplicates or words not absolutely necessary. I had actually assumed that would have been done.

Paulette

As I only have few unintentional duplicates in the comprehensive keywords - and they mostly consists of necessary and supplementary keywords this would be a disadvantage to me.

Paulette

I think everyone used the Comprehensive field differently.  I used it to put in words like: day,daytime,outdoors,Oklahoma,US,USA,United States,North America, and in images that required a lot of keywords, some lesser but still important keywords.  To mass delete those would cause me all sorts of problems.

Paulette

One troubling thing I'm finding about duplicates.  Many keywords that I never duplicate are showing up in twos and threes.  I don't use "Oklahoma" twice.  Unless the system is taking Oklahoma from the caption and putting it in the keyword field. That's an example...I have a lot of other tags that I entered singly that were duplicated.

edited to remove repeat post from above.

OK, only been a couple of days, but so far, I think I like it. It will take some getting used to, but not as much as the original IM. For one thing, it allows me to do as little or as much work on an image if I want. If I want to just upload a file with keywords attached and let it go, that;s ok. OTH, I can spend time fine tuning as much as I want to get better results. 

Agree with the deselect issue. For me, the most intuitive solutions would be to A) delect all when you hit the save button, and 2) Go to the standard Windows practice of using ctrl-click and shft-click to select multiples and a single click selects/deselects.

2) Go to the standard Windows practice of using ctrl-click and shft-click to select multiples and a single click selects/deselects.

The problem with this is touch-screen devices which are only going to become more prevalent, not less... they don't have a CTRL or SHIFT key!

Alamy would be foolish to ignore touch-screen devices.. not everyone's bag.. but they need to be supported.

2) Go to the standard Windows practice of using ctrl-click and shft-click to select multiples and a single click selects/deselects.

The problem with this is touch-screen devices which are only going to become more prevalent, not less... they don't have a CTRL or SHIFT key!

Alamy would be foolish to ignore touch-screen devices.. not everyone's bag.. but they need to be supported.

My tablet has a control key, but I would think any contributor wanting proper upload and info would have a bluetooth keyboard with them for their tablet. Touch in a pinch if doing live news, but I would always use my bluetooth if wanting to do any real work on a tablet.

Edited to add:  And I think they all have a shift key.

Jill

Are you going to do your post-processing on a mobile device as well? Keyword while cooking the dinner and watching telly at the same time perhaps :).

EDIT - apologies - I'm making the dinner and watching telly as I write.

I can understand why compatibility with mobile devices is essential for many general web purposes and for photographers trying to upload news as it happens but most photographers are working on computers with monitors. In any case, news has to have the metadata already embedded.

Aiming for the lowest common denominator and ignoring the needs of the majority is not ideal. Adobe tried to do this in 2015 with a dumbed down version of Lightroom, causing a massive furore and then having to backtrack. Clearly Alamy are not going to do this but I think they could implement a few features that would make life easier for us traditionalists with computers and monitors.

Are you going to do your post-processing on a mobile device as well? Keyword while cooking the dinner and watching telly at the same time perhaps :).

EDIT - apologies - I'm making the dinner and watching telly as I write.

I can understand why compatibility with mobile devices is essential for many general web purposes and for photographers trying to upload news as it happens but most photographers are working on computers with monitors. In any case, news has to have the metadata already embedded.

Aiming for the lowest common denominator and ignoring the needs of the majority is not ideal. Adobe tried to do this in 2015 with a dumbed down version of Lightroom, causing a massive furore and then having to backtrack. Clearly Alamy are not going to do this but I think they could implement a few features that would make life easier for us traditionalists with computers and monitors.

Since the new version of AIM, I do add tags here and there to images using my iPad while watching TV.

Post processing... not today... who knows in the future. I do have Lightroom on my iPad which surfaces for images that I push to Stockimo... certainly I can use it to open up shadows, drop highlights and change the saturation of individual colours. The iPad Pros have a pretty big screen.. technology might well get to the stage where it's feasible in maybe 5 years time.

A good compromise would be to have a "preferences" or "options" screen/tab where people could choose whether they want PC style selections or touch-screen device friendly selections.

Those who never use tablets shouldn"t knock it.  You don't know what you're missing.  I do almost all of my forum reading and posting from my iPad.  While resting comfortably on my sofa.  I can only stand so much time at the computer, then everything begins to hurt.  Not so with the iPad. 

When you live with somebody, they prefer you spend some time with them in the evenings in the same room.  I can do that and get a bit of work done on my iPad. Two birds, one stone.

I think I've found another "quirk" of the new MI.

I wanted to add a Super tag to all of my images of a particular location. So I typed the name of the location into the search box. It found 52 images, all of which are on sale. I then wanted to select all of them, so I clicked "Select all passed". It only selected 20 of them (one row more than the number of thumbnails I could see on my screen). So I deselected them, changed to smaller thumbnails, and tried again. This time is selected all 52 of them, even though many of them weren't visible on my screen. So then I changed back to the larger thumbnails and tried again. Now it still selects all 52. I'd expect "Select all passed" to select all the Passed images that meet the search criteria, and have nothing to do with the thumbnail size.

Behaviour seems somewhat unpredictable...

Although this is a quirk, once I got all the images selected, adding the new Super tag was a breeze.  It would have taken ages on the old MI. I look forward to the bug fixed version of the new MI !

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove a date completely (so it is blank) from previously posted images.  Any suggestions?

Barry,

I click on the date and wait a second or two until the date is selected (All in blue background). I then hit delete and the date field is blank. I'm doing this because the system added "Jan 01" to all my images that I had only entered a year for, even if obviously Summer. I'm sure the old IM said "You can just give the year". Many of these images are film and maybe not worth the effort to correct.

I appear to have a problem in MI. Uploaded batch of six images on 25th Jan. They have subsequently gone through processing and passed QC. Now on sale.

So why is it that each time I open MI the box with those images in is still reading as though they are being processed even though it says the images have passed in the left hand column and at the top it states, "Thanks for submitting 6 stock images. We're checking them now and we'll email you the results in 24 hours."

That is a week it has been like that.

Allan

Archived