The Image Manager thread

I appear to have a problem in MI. Uploaded batch of six images on 25th Jan. They have subsequently gone through processing and passed QC. Now on sale.

So why is it that each time I open MI the box with those images in is still reading as though they are being processed even though it says the images have passed in the left hand column and at the top it states, "Thanks for submitting 6 stock images. We're checking them now and we'll email you the results in 24 hours."

That is a week it has been like that.

Allan

Allan,

Are you able to find the images searching from the Alamy homepage?

I used the new image manager (for the first time) to keyword a handful of images yesterday. When they went

live this morning they were more or less where i expected them to be; page1/2. Just checked again after reading the "re rank" thread

and they have disappeared from the search engine.

Joe

I appear to have a problem in MI. Uploaded batch of six images on 25th Jan. They have subsequently gone through processing and passed QC. Now on sale.

So why is it that each time I open MI the box with those images in is still reading as though they are being processed even though it says the images have passed in the left hand column and at the top it states, "Thanks for submitting 6 stock images. We're checking them now and we'll email you the results in 24 hours."

Allan

Allan,

Joe

Yes.

Just wondering why the AIM is not updating. Or is it supposed to remain like it is until the next batch is uploaded.

Allan

Allan

Allan,

Joe

Yes.

Just wondering why the AIM is not updating. Or is it supposed to remain like it is until the next batch is uploaded.

Allan

Clearly a bug.

Allan

Allan,

Joe

Yes.

Allan

Clearly a bug.

Yes my AIM is bug-gered.

Allan

Tried to read through this thread, but had to give up half way. Noted though that a lot of contributors regretted the inability to just copy and paste a group keywords from an old image to the new one.

I for one do not like any of the methods proposed in the thread.

Essentially I can live with the new AIM, except this lack of simple transfer of keywords in a real downside as far as I am concerned.

I noted that to my great surprise nobody from Alamy bothered to read the thread and perhaps offer to try and fix this problem. It should be possible for a solution to be provided whereby you simply copy the keywords you need and paste them into the new tags space. If you select multiple images for pasting all the keywords should appear in all the selected images and then you should be able to go into the individual images to fine tune. I note that I can actually copy and paste in the caption fields. Why not keywords.

If that problem could be fixed I would be happy with the new set-up.

This discovery issue is a real laugh. I have over 8500 images and sell several every month. I only have 55 at a green rating and I cannot understand why. We were cautioned against too much keywording as it could affect our rank and page placement. Now it is a quantity issue to get into the green area rather than quality. Weird.

"I noted that to my great surprise nobody from Alamy bothered to read the thread..."

I think Alamy does read this thread and they do post once in a while. The stated purpose of the Forum is for members to help one another.

Tried to read through this thread, but had to give up half way. Noted though that a lot of contributors regretted the inability to just copy and paste a group keywords from an old image to the new one.

Despite reports to the contrary, it is possible to copy and paste keywords from older images to new ones but only if you search for the older image in general Alamy search. You can't get lists of keywords as text in the new system unfortunately. You can then copy and paste the keywords either directly into the add new tags box or for some users (some Windows users I think) using an intermediate text file to get rid of extra formatting. I have no problem copying and pasting keywords between two browser windows. A bit inconvenient compared to the previous system but not terribly difficult once one gets used to the new UI and its quirky behaviour.

A very few users have reported being unable to paste keywords at all but it is not clear why - I think it works either directly or indirectly for most users.

Like it or not, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay and this is a fairly easy workaround for new files. That is not to say I like the new UI. No I thinks it's pretty awful in fact.

Despite reports to the contrary, it is possible to copy and paste keywords from older images to new ones but only if you search for the older image in general Alamy search. You can't get lists of keywords as text in the new system unfortunately. You can then copy and paste the keywords either directly into the add new tags box or for some users (some Windows users I think) using an intermediate text file to get rid of extra formatting. I have no problem copying and pasting keywords between two browser windows. A bit inconvenient compared to the previous system but not terribly difficult once one gets used to the new UI and its quirky behaviour.

A very few users have reported being unable to paste keywords at all but it is not clear why - I think it works either directly or indirectly for most users.

Like it or not, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay and this is a fairly easy workaround for new files. That is not to say I like the new UI. No I thinks it's pretty awful in fact.

For those who are planning a major retag of their images from older ones it might be worth getting Contributor Relations to send you the spreadsheet with the metadata for all your images. That way you can cut from the spreadsheet (Excel or whatever) and drop it into the add tag field. Could even adjust the commas, quotes etc in the spreadsheet first if needed.However I guess if you do that you might be as well do all the editing in the spreadhseet and then getting CR to apply the new metadata. The main snag is that there is no thumbnail in the spreadsheet to help with identifying the source image; that is why I did not revise my portfolio that way but I am wondering whether there is another way of linking to a thumbnail.

You can get the preview page for an image via: http://www.alamy.com/IMAGEIDwhere IMAGEID is the the six character Alamy reference for the image.

EDITED to add a more complete approach:

It should be straightforward to create a URL to link to the image with a simple formula in the spreadsheet. You need to create a URL of the form: 

http://c1.alamy.com/zooms/1/IMAGEID.jpg

replace"zooms" with "thumbs" for small or "comp" for large images. I am going to give this a try when I have got some other jobs out of the way. I am not sure whether I will do the retagging in the spreadsheet or import it into a database such as Access and then export a modified spreadsheet to send to CR to apply.

Just an idea

MDM

Thanks for your explanation above. I will try that tomorrow. I have actually also complained to Alamy about this inconvenience compared with the previous set-up, which I found easy to use, and I will post the response if it makes any sense.

I really don't understand how Alamy could treat this key function, to be able to copy and paste keywords, with such disdain. There should have been an easy way to do this in AIM and it should have been explained in the PDF.

You should be able to edit tags as well. Now, if there is a typo in a tag, you have to delete it and re-create it (assuming, of course, that you are within the 50 tag limit: if you find a typo in one of your old files with more than 50 tags, there is not a lot you can do about it, unless you also reduce the number of tags, which seems a huge amount of work just to correct a typo, which previously could have been done with very little effort).

Graham

For those who are planning a major retag of their images from older ones it might be worth getting Contributor Relations to send you the spreadsheet with the metadata for all your images. That way you can cut from the spreadsheet (Excel or whatever) and drop it into the add tag field. Could even adjust the commas, quotes etc in the spreadsheet first if needed.However I guess if you do that you might be as well do all the editing in the spreadhseet and then getting CR to apply the new metadata. The main snag is that there is no thumbnail in the spreadsheet to help with identifying the source image; that is why I did not revise my portfolio that way but I am wondering whether there is another way of linking to a thumbnail.

You can get the preview page for an image via: http://www.alamy.com/IMAGEIDwhere IMAGEID is the the six character Alamy reference for the image.

It should be straightforward to create a URL to link to the image with a simple formula in the spreadsheet. You need to create a URL of the form: 

replace"zooms" with "thumbs" for small or "comp" for large images. I am going to give this a try when I have got some other jobs out of the way. I am not sure whether I will do the retagging in the spreadsheet or import it into a database such as Access and then export a modified spreadsheet to send to CR to apply.

Just an idea

I'm not so sure that major re-tagging is a good idea at all. It would be a huge amount of work and may have little effect in reality on search results. I would think waiting a while and seeing what is happening as things settle down would be sensible. I've only really been looking at my older images as a means of getting my existing metadata into my new ones with similar subject matter. I think the psychological effect of seeing the discoverability bar together with the ability to have multi-word key phrases and supertags is getting to people but the benefits of re-tagging older images may be minimal or non-existent - I'm pretty sure that Alamy said something along these lines in one of the threads.

MDM

Thanks for your explanation above. I will try that tomorrow. I have actually also complained to Alamy about this inconvenience compared with the previous set-up, which I found easy to use, and I will post the response if it makes any sense.

I really don't understand how Alamy could treat this key function, to be able to copy and paste keywords, with such disdain. There should have been an easy way to do this in AIM and it should have been explained in the PDF.

I do wonder why Alamy did not incorporate such a fundamental feature as copying and pasting keywords into the new design myself. It seems a major priority was to implement a means of adding and removing individual keywords to and from multiple images and that is possibly the only real positive about the new system but I suspect that this may have meant sacrificing the ability to have keywords/phrases as text rather than tags. It must be possible to implement both. However, from my own non-professional experience of database design, it may require some signficant extra work.

You should be able to edit tags as well. Now, if there is a typo in a tag, you have to delete it and re-create it (assuming, of course, that you are within the 50 tag limit: if you find a typo in one of your old files with more than 50 tags, there is not a lot you can do about it, unless you also reduce the number of tags, which seems a huge amount of work just to correct a typo, which previously could have been done with very little effort).

Graham

Absolutely. I suspect that people who claim to be happy with the new system simply have not come across these problems.

The ability to edit tags and re-assign their position is a desperately needed amendment. As stated, a simple typo can create a considerable amount of work to correct where "cut and paste" or "drag and drop" would simplify matters.

Hopefully Alamy will (can) make this amendment to IM.

The agency P..d5 (mainly footage) also works with tags but allows the contributor to see keywords as tags or as plain text in its footage editor. When looking at the plain text version, you can correct misspellings and easily copy text.

Cheers,

Philippe

True. I find it very, very useful. They also have a facility to copy all the keywords and other info about a clip to one or more other clips in a single operation. I referred to this useful facility in Alamy's request for suggested features for the new IM a year or two ago, but it didn't make the cut.  :(

Just an idea

I'm not so sure that major re-tagging is a good idea at all. It would be a huge amount of work and may have little effect in reality on search results. I would think waiting a while and seeing what is happening as things settle down would be sensible. I've only really been looking at my older images as a means of getting my existing metadata into my new ones with similar subject matter. I think the psychological effect of seeing the discoverability bar together with the ability to have multi-word key phrases and supertags is getting to people but the benefits of re-tagging older images may be minimal or non-existent - I'm pretty sure that Alamy said something along these lines in one of the threads.

I totally agree and that is why I am waiting, I have plenty of other jobs that need doing first. The rekeywording is something I have wanted to do for a while and is not driven by the recent changes. It was just the current discussions made me reexamine how I would do it.

I have had an exchange with Alamy CR and they do not have a spreadsheet that works with the new tagging. They are apparently working on one.

They can still provide a spreadsheet of the old keywords but they can't use it to update the new format. I guess it could be used to cut and paste into AIM as I originally suggested but as I am no hurry I will wait until the new spreadsheet is available. I will look at possibilities again after Easter.

Martin

I have been batch editing a submission and for some reason one of the group of images hasn't updated the tags. The images are a variation of the same things so need the same key words. Is this a bug ?

The agency P..d5 (mainly footage) also works with tags but allows the contributor to see keywords as tags or as plain text in its footage editor. When looking at the plain text version, you can correct misspellings and easily copy text.

Cheers,

Philippe

True. I find it very, very useful. They also have a facility to copy all the keywords and other info about a clip to one or more other clips in a single operation. I referred to this useful facility in Alamy's request for suggested features for the new IM a year or two ago, but it didn't make the cut.  :(

+1

Kevin, thanks for your suggestion.  I tried it - click on the date - until date is selected with blue background - then delete - then save.  The field then becomes blank, and reads "add date", which would indicate an empty date.  Go to another image, then return to the edited one - and voila - the same old date is there - and not deleted.  Think the date field of the metadata from the filename or caption or camera info is by default - staying put - regardless of any manual changes made.  Any thoughts?  Alamy any sugg how to do this?  On another note, really miss the original filename, as if you need to replace an image for whatever reason, Alamy's filename is not going to help in my hard drive(s) search.  Any chance to list the original filename Alamy?

I found this with the old MI- just deleting a date didn't delete it. You have to replace it.

You get the filename when you select the sub, but not in search. Of course that means you have to know which sub it was in. In future no doubt one will name subs, but I bet neither of us is going to go back and rename 3 or 400 of the blighters.

I would like to see the greyed-out tags a little darker so they are easier to read. I can only make them clear to me by tipping my laptop back at an angle to darken them. Rather awkward. I'd also like to see the caption and location fields more user-friendly in terms of being larger and with darker print.

Paulette

Archived