Positive results 2021

7 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, the small sales are demoralising... because they're small... and the big sales are demoralising... because of Alamy's cut. The 60% is a step too far. Getting less for my skill/labour than the agency which handles my pix has knocked the wind out of my sails/sales. A smaller percentage of less and less is unsustainable... whether I'm talking about my income, my motivatiion or my work satisfaction. I'll upload a few pix every month, to keep my port ticking over... but the interest is draining away like water through sand.

I wonder how widespread  amongst contributors your views in the last sentence are. I suspect they are fairly common.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I wonder how widespread  amongst contributors your views in the last sentence are. I suspect they are fairly common.

Somewhat. 75 images in a year and a week.

We're holidaying in Suffolk next month and I'm sure not going to take the bread out of Ian's mouth.

Might have met in the Sorrel Horse but Shottisham is full.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, sb photos said:

it applies to me so far.  i have now skipped 3-4 marginal newsy events i would have surely gone to 6 months ago.  i've gone back to doing geometric architectural shots for the pleasure of it.    

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

Yes. My view is similar. I guess I could say the interest in shooting new stock has left the building.

Oh dear, I came here looking for a positive vibe... 😛

I'm still up for shooting, although annoyed about the commission. Getting more sales slowly but surely, even if I feel mostly like I'm running to stand still.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sb photos said:

Not for me. Photography is my full time job so I have no choice but to keep on shooting. Oh for that lottery win! 

• Like 1

I've had 40% for non-exclusive images for a while now - since the last commission change. 

But with 40% on ALL sales I have stopped contributing to Alamy.

I actually do feel positive about that. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

On 29/07/2021 at 09:25, John Morrison said:

Yes, the small sales are demoralising... because they're small... and the big sales are demoralising... because of Alamy's cut. The 60% is a step too far. Getting less for my skill/labour than the agency which handles my pix has knocked the wind out of my sails/sales. A smaller percentage of less and less is unsustainable... whether I'm talking about my income, my motivatiion or my work satisfaction. I'll upload a few pix every month, to keep my port ticking over... but the interest is draining away like water through sand.

Ditto

Pearl

On 29/07/2021 at 09:25, John Morrison said:

I'm catching up with images i've taken a couple of years ago but once those are uploaded I'll not be going out of my way to take images for Alamy.

John.

15 hours ago, Steve F said:

I feel mostly like I'm running to stand still.....

This is how I felt when the commission was 50/50. But at 40/60, even "standing still" seems like an unfeasible ambition. I have no idea how many pix I would need to shoot, edit, upload and tag every month, in order to increase my Alamy income. I just know it's too many.

Apologies for pissing on the positive thread... 🙁

• Love 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

This is how I felt when the commission was 50/50. But at 40/60, even "standing still" seems like an unfeasible ambition. I have no idea how many pix I would need to shoot, edit, upload and tag every month, in order to increase my Alamy income. I just know it's too many.

Apologies for pissing on the positive thread... 🙁

At least you're not alone with those sentiments. That's a positive thing of sorts.

I've been managing to successfully tread water for the past few years, but I can already feel my water wings deflating. 😮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

Today's sales take me through $40,000 from 1348 licences. I still have thousands of images which I'm working through to get on sale and am enjoying trying new events to photograph, so I'm staying positive, despite everything.

Illegitimi non carborundum - as Gavin Williamson might say (not) ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Positive Month for me.  Had a TV sale of a 3  year old pic show up today, $147.  That was from a "news"outing I did.  I've got 2 free tickets to a Kaiser Chiefs concert for this week - applied for media passes, and got them.  Zooms are up.  Alternating my output with video distributors, and another news agency, but still very much going to be submitting to Alamy and working with them on events and "pictures of the day" kind of stuff.  Chased an infringement personally ( with Alamy permission ) and got a sale.   Not done as much photography as I wanted to this year, but very much looking forward to ramping it up again.  Even if you don't get rewards immediately, I'm amazed at the kind of pics that sell down the line as stock from events.   Remember the old Ice bucket challenge ? - had a TV sale  for decent $$ of me emptying a bucket over my other half a few years back.

• Love 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

1 licence takes me past last years total and revenue 215% more than last years total already. (Live news licences keeping the head above water compared to the normal low average these days)

Recent news sales means I’ve just now got 20 more sales than the whole of 2020. But about $1,500 less. I guess that may not be such a positive result.

Edited by Sally