Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think Joe will be giving us another $1,400, MizB. That's stimulating.

But the BBC said this morning that UK pubs and restaurants might stay shut until May. Ohhhhh my, that's a long time between ordering a pint. In Liverpool One shopping centre today absolutely everything was shut. I stood alone and shouted at the top of my lungs, "Where is everybody!" 

Yesterday, Luis (helper and dog walker) and I couldn't get an answer on the pizza delivery place's phone.  He ended up walking up and found that electricity was out for their part of the Jinotega business district, but they could cook and pull beer bottles out of the fridge, so we had pizza and Toñas for lunch.  Landlines here are almost all dependent on electricity to work.   We had very high winds yesterday. 

I haven't see my British friend since March or April when  we had the first cases.  We talk on the phone pretty much daily and Luis keeps the dogs walked and runs errands for us.  She's 80.  

The new grocery store has a app for ordering either pickup or delivery, but my local store is too new to be on the app.  Or doesn't plan to offer that service.   Masking is enforced here by private enterprise and common sense.  The store guards have at least billy clubs and often have automatic rifles.   The government doesn't use the police since there are still hard feelings from the mess in 2018.  I've heard of only one Nicaraguan getting pissy about having to wear a mask to enter a store. 

I'm somewhat tempted by a macro lens, but will probably resist that temptation this round.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

My neighbour 2 doors away was taken into hospital with Covid 3 days ago passed yesterday morning, he did have an underlying heart condition. This wretched virus can get you fast!!!.

Andy.

Yes it doesn't give notification of its intention to invade the body. It is really sad what has happened in Ireland going from one of the lowest infection rates in the world to one of the highest all because of Christmas relaxation of the regulations it seems. 

The bad news yesterday (it is still bad today) is that Chris Whitty (Chief Medical Officer for England) announced that there is now evidence that the so-called UK coronavirus variant may be significantly more deadly than the original one. 

Correction: It was Patrick Vallance who said that. Further evidence is needed though according to other scientific experts.

Edited by MDM

I think small villages can get a false sense of security, everybody thinks they know who comes into contact with who. Unfortunately we did have some returning from UK for Christmas, because of the different policy operating in Northern Ireland the route was fly into Belfast, hire a car and drive down over the border then.

Andy.

I think small villages can get a false sense of security, everybody thinks they know who comes into contact with who. Unfortunately we did have some returning from UK for Christmas, because of the different policy operating in Northern Ireland the route was fly into Belfast, hire a car and drive down over the border then.

Andy.

It is not just small villages though. The whole thing about Christmas mixing both here and in Ireland was complete madness anyway. The governments clearly got it totally wrong and the consequences are now evident. The idea that people could mix at all indoors for a few days was utterly stupid. How long does it take to transmit the virus. But human nature is such that people just did it. I was very surprised when I heard that Ireland was doing that as they had done so well up to then. I don't think I will be seeing West Cork or anywhere beyond a few km from my house for quite some time yet. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

Michael, are they telling you not to worry about getting it again? I know that some people have but I don't know how great the risk is. There have been questions here about whether people who have had it should be getting vaccinated. I think there is a waiting period but then it is encouraged. Do you have an opinion about all this? I know you have unfortunate first-hand experience.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Michael, are they telling you not to worry about getting it again? I know that some people have but I don't know how great the risk is. There have been questions here about whether people who have had it should be getting vaccinated. I think there is a waiting period but then it is encouraged. Do you have an opinion about all this? I know you have unfortunate first-hand experience.

Paulette

A very interesting question. I don’t think there is anything like that here but it is actually very complex.

Firstly, there is very little information at the moment it seems about reinfection and how long immunity lasts. There is some data suggesting that antibody immunity is in the order of some months only. Secondly, there was almost no widespread testing here for a long time and none in the early stages. Back when I had it last March, the only testing was on people with severe Covid who were admitted to hospital. So it would be impossible here to know who has or hasn’t had Covid and whether they would still be immune if they had. 

Thirdly, and this is my own thinking as I have not read this anywhere, but for people who have had Covid, including the long version which I still have, there may be lung damage as a consequence of having had it. So someone who might not have been in serious danger first time round could be in grave danger second time. I don’t know what the effect would be on me if I got it again to be honest but I suspect it might be very nasty, as my lungs have definitely not recovered. I am being extremely careful now having been a lot more relaxed back in the autumn when I did some travelling, but there is no way I would do that now, as I suspect any immunity I had had probably worn off. 

Fourthly, the virus is mutating and the effects of having had it versus the effects of vaccination are unknown. 

So for those reasons, I think it will be vital to vaccinate everyone and keep that going indefinitely. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

I was happy to be wearing a mask today. I stepped into the elevator on the 9th floor of a building where I was feeding a cat and there was a sharp chemical smell that bothered my lungs. I pressed my mask more firmly on my face and tried to barely breathe until I was down. I sometimes have that reaction to strong perfume. I used a steroid inhaler every day for many years for asthma and I still carry an albuterol inhaler just in case. I haven't had to use it for over a year and I was fine today when I got out of the elevator. I do yoga and I pay particular attention these days to the slow, deep breathing. I think it helps my lungs stay healthy.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I was happy to be wearing a mask today. I stepped into the elevator on the 9th floor of a building where I was feeding a cat and there was a sharp chemical smell that bothered my lungs. I pressed my mask more firmly on my face and tried to barely breathe until I was down. I sometimes have that reaction to strong perfume. I used a steroid inhaler every day for many years for asthma and I still carry an albuterol inhaler just in case. I haven't had to use it for over a year and I was fine today when I got out of the elevator. I do yoga and I pay particular attention these days to the slow, deep breathing. I think it helps my lungs stay healthy.

Paulette

I can totally relate to that. People don’t think of perfumes as chemicals but they are, whether of plant origin or petroleum based. I hate air fresheners and I can’t stand perfumed detergents (on my clothes, bed clothes, as household cleaners etc). They make me feel uncomfortable or even nauseous. My son used to use copious amounts of deodorant and aftershave when he was a teenager and I used to have to had to implore him to keep his room door tightly closed when getting ready. It might seem fussy but it does cause serious discomfort. 

• Love 1

I lost my younger sister today.

After she fell and broke her hip, she stopped eating and passed away this morning.

I will miss her. I have missed her these past few years when she began her descent into dementia and stopped communicating. We were very close as children. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I lost my younger sister today.

After she fell and broke her hip, she stopped eating and passed away this morning.

I will miss her. I have missed her these past few years when she began her descent into dementia and stopped communicating. We were very close as children. 

That’s tough. You really lost her when her dementia advanced. My mother survived a couple of years beyond recognizing her family. Her essence was already gone.

You get hurt twice. I’m sorry for your pain.

I find, though, that my memories of good times I shared with those who’ve gone lives on. I revisit those memories often with a smile on my face.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic