Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Some weeks ago my car had issues with going into first gear, it wouldn't either when stationary or from 2nd gear into first, then completely separate I had the dreaded engine management light come on. That turned out to be an oxygen sensor that I couldn't shift, I couldn't remove it, so my car went into the garage for both issues. As expected the sensor was replaced quickly, but the other issue was more labour intensive and I dropped it back a few days ago. I suspected the gear box, but the service department of the main dealer diagnosed clutch failing. I picked up my car early this morning as I needed it for a 35 mile each way journey to where I am contracting. I was furious when I found my car had been returned to me with the same problems I took it in for. I am taking it back next Tuesday, and currently holding off completing a review until I see what they propose to resolve the issues. Currently the only way I can get into first is from stationary, and by releasing the clutch, then pushing it down. 

On 27/02/2024 at 13:51, Betty LaRue said:

Bad news for me yesterday. My niece’s cancer has spread & she won’t survive it. She’s less than 10 years younger than me.
As the youngest of three girls, I never had a baby sister, so my niece filled that spot. As a teenager, I often brought her to spend a day & night with me & spoiled her rotten. She’s the oldest of 5 & the only girl. She loved my attention & remembers to this day how much fun we had together in spite of her being 4-6 years old at the time.

My sister said when I brought Pam home from being with me, she was insufferable for a couple of days!

She’ll come home from the hospital in a couple of days & have Hospice (end of life) care. She lives a couple of hundred miles away from me.

So sorry to hear the bad news.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Some weeks ago my car had issues with going into first gear, it wouldn't either when stationary or from 2nd gear into first, then completely separate I had the dreaded engine management light come on. That turned out to be an oxygen sensor that I couldn't shift, I couldn't remove it, so my car went into the garage for both issues. As expected the sensor was replaced quickly, but the other issue was more labour intensive and I dropped it back a few days ago. I suspected the gear box, but the service department of the main dealer diagnosed clutch failing. I picked up my car early this morning as I needed it for a 35 mile each way journey to where I am contracting. I was furious when I found my car had been returned to me with the same problems I took it in for. I am taking it back next Tuesday, and currently holding off completing a review until I see what they propose to resolve the issues. Currently the only way I can get into first is from stationary, and by releasing the clutch, then pushing it down. 

I hate that for you. And you’re not even a woman! 😀

Years ago, there was a state law where one had to get one’s car inspected yearly. Lights all working, tire tread, emissions, brakes, etc. If your car passed, you got a sticker for your windshield. Cost about $30 at the time.  A lot of businesses like gasoline stations, mechanic shops & such could do the inspections.

I took my Honda in to a muffler shop to be inspected. Pretty soon, a man told me everything passed except I had a bad catalytic converter, & it would cost me several hundred dollars to replace. 
I had not smelled the rotten egg odor that bad converters produce. I told the guy that my brother-in-law was a mechanic (true) and I’d have him check it out before letting them replace it. He stared at me for a moment then said, “I’ll be right back.”

Off to the garage area where my car was, he went. I was in the waiting room. A few minutes later he came back. “Good news! Your converter is fine and you just had a loose muffler that was rattling. We put a new bracket on, & you’re good to go, no charge.”

Interesting fact, my muffler had NOT been rattling. I’m very in tune with how my vehicle behaves & sounds. When my husband got off work, I had him look. The dirty bracket was in place, no new shiny one was seen. 
Not saying your mechanic is a crook, maybe just an inadequate mechanic.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sb photos said:

A not uncommon experience! Good luck with getting a resolution.

Edited by Mr Standfast

19 hours ago, sb photos said:

Shame not to have a reliable garage. We've had one for 35 years, but then we've never had new or even nearly new cars so we don't go near main agents. If you're out of warranty, they obviously haven't earned your trust so maybe time to go elsewhere.

I take it you're averse to working on the car yourself, although I would think twice about doing my own clutch.

19 hours ago, sb photos said:

Currently the only way I can get into first is from stationary, and by releasing the clutch, then pushing it down.

Are you sure that it's not air in the hydraulics, is the hydraulic fluid level OK?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sb photos said:

Ok this is a bit left field...

After a long drive through realy filthy February roads in Somerset my VW polo lost 5th gear. Could'nt get into it at all. VW main dealer offered a diagnostic check in 6 weeks time! Eventually found an independent gearbox business who were willing to look at it so booked in for 2 weeks later. Went to the car wash, usual wash which includes a chassis wash.

Bingo! 5th gear came back. Took the risk to cancel the gearbox appointment.

Every thing was Ok, until the following February when after the same trip I lost 5th gear again. Washed the underside of the car and the problem went away again! My conclusion was that salt and other road crud had clogged an external linkage. It did'nt happen again.

Is this tenuous? Of course it is, very tenuous and likely a coincedence; or was it?

Steve, if you were to stick the car through a car wash with an under body spray what would you lose? Guarantee you would get a clean car!

Again, good luck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of my sisters has come down with Covid for the first time & is horribly miserable. A sore throat from hell is one of her worst symptoms.

My daughter & I drove an hour south into Oklahoma yesterday & got her some things to leave on her doorstep.

Numbing throat spray

cough drops with some numbing ability

Menthol rub for her chest

large pack of bottled drinks containing electrolytes 

ice cream shake freshly made, thick & cold

she already had/has soup

Of course I am especially worried since she’s in her 80s.

So sorry to hear this, Betty. Wishing her a quick recovery. FYI, if you need to send her more medicines/food, and have a CVS care card, they now deliver for free to many areas. I believe Wal-Mart has a similar plan. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

So sorry to hear this, Betty. Wishing her a quick recovery. FYI, if you need to send her more medicines/food, and have a CVS care card, they now deliver for free to many areas. I believe Wal-Mart has a similar plan. 

Wonderful information. I didn’t know that. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

So sorry Betty. I hope it clears up quickly. 

Paulette

This is the same sister I drove to Oklahoma City for her abdominal surgery in late December, & 2 weeks ago drove her to get a neck injection here in Wichita.

Yesterday, we spent 6 consecutive hours on chat with Adobe Support to sort out my Photoshop corrupted files. Ended at 1am. Issue still on-going.

Woke up this morning, had 100mm of rain overnight. The pool of our housesit is full to the brim, ready to overflow into the house. Backwash system you said? Fat chance. Had to hold the hose in front of the outlet for an hour to pump it out. Back of my legs got sunburnt.

Chat with Adobe Support resumes, another hour. Finally, success! Photoshop runs without crashing, showing what it should.

Hubby had a physio appointment in the morning because he smashed his knee in a swimming pool. Get ready to go. Damn it! The Uber Carshare app is down, can't unlock the car. Appointment cancelled. Hurray for technology!!

We go and pick up our motorhome from a garage where they applied thermoshield on the roof. Looks strange, bright white on the roof and sickly red/yellow dirt colour everywhere else. They didn't fixed the cupboards.

Can't wait for the next drama...

• Love 2

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gen Downunder -- it seems you are continually embracing or fighting nature. 😧

Even in town yes! Brisbane. Nothing compared to Photoshop problems though...

On the flip side, tonight the weather greatly improved and we had a few G&Ts /:glasses of wine on the deck facing the marina.

Just looked in horror at the weather forecast until Friday when the owners return, and it's rain, rain and rain. At least a few millimetres a day. That will be a few more sessions pumping out.

Edited by gvallee

Hi Everyone,

We’ve taken the decision to shut down this thread because we feel the conversation is not relevant to the Alamy Forum.

We realise this may be disappointing to some of you, but the Alamy Forum was originally set up for photographers to discuss photography and all things Alamy, where photographers could offer support and advice to fellow contributors, and where we could provide clarity and a quick response on any developments to keep you informed.

Unfortunately, we no longer have the resource to monitor a thread in the Forum that isn’t about Alamy or photography-related subjects in general. We think it would be more important to be helping contributors with their queries in the inbox, curating content to present to our customers to drive sales, running the POTM competition and chasing infringements amongst many other projects.

By all means, feel free to express yourself when replying to each other, whilst adhering to the Forum guidelines, however, the thread for a main subject needs to generally stay to the topic and in keeping with the original reasons for the Alamy Forum.

Thanks

Alamy

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

• Alamy locked this topic