Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Yes, Betty's thread is cheerful and positive. Uplifting! But we also need a voice for the negative. (At least I do.) 

2C7HMYE.jpg

Above we see stuff I have to take with me these days when I go out. I guess that's trying to turn a negative into a positive. Hmm.

At 3:30 AM last night the fire alarms went off.

Last week the management of the building moved the lobby reception to another building. This building now has no staff and no security in an area with many druggies. This is one of several reasons I will be looking for a new rental. The fire trucks showed up quickly, but there was no fire, just a faulty alarm system, and no one to fix it. This has happened 6 or 7 times since I've been living here. Last night I was out in the damp for over an hour.

Edo

I have a similar bad thing about NYC currently, Edo, but it would be too political to say it here. Be careful. At least we are slowly returning to normal. It's just some of the normal that is worse than it was previously. Sorry to be enigmatic. Just to say we need to take care where we go.

Paulette

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I have a similar bad thing about NYC currently, Edo, but it would be too political to say it here. Be careful. At least we are slowly returning to normal. It's just some of the normal that is worse than it was previously. Sorry to be enigmatic. Just to say we need to take care where we go.

Yes... paranoia is getting to me as well...

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

At least we are slowly returning to normal. It's just some of the normal that is worse than it was previously. Sorry to be enigmatic. Just to say we need to take care where we go.

Paulette

A big worrying issue is that large numbers of the public here act as if the Pandemic is over, even though people are still dying from the Coronavirus. Here from the 24th masks should be worn in shops, yet shops and the police say they don't have the resources to enforce the law. Also some shop owners state they will still serve and not turn away people not wearing masks as they need the business, this doesn't help. I won't talk about how many here are critical of our governments approach. To me being cautious, the earlier days of lockdown felt safer.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sb photos said:

the earlier days of lockdown felt safer.

"Stay home" was certainly an easier diktat to understand than what we're ciurrently getting from our political masters. I agree with you about being cautious. My first ventures back to pubs have been drinking in pub beer gardens, with socially distanced friends, on sunny days... rather than joining the crowds in a huddle round the bar.

Boris suggests we'll be back to normal by Christmas; I think we'll be back to somehwhere near normality when we have developed a vaccine that's both effective and safe. Than may be a year, or two, or five... or more...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Boris .............I think we'll be back to somehwhere near normality when........

....we've all joined in with the 'to hell with it' mentality that seems to have become so prevalent since the 'stay home' slogan was dropped. Everyone back to work and on public transport is the next step in a few weeks. Although the infection rate is still very high, thankfully the strength of the virus seems to be weakening which may save us from ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Avpics said:

which may save us from ourselves.

It's certainly fascinating to see how differing countries are dealing with the pandemic, with global 'leaders' coming second-best to a number of smaller (and less wealthy) countries... from whom we have much to learn. Provided we have the humility to do so!

• Like 2

Nothing bad today in particular (although it is just 9:00 in the morning here) but yesterday in Ontario we moved to stage 3 (except for Toronto and a couple of other areas).  Restaurants are now allowed indoor dining with a lot of safety measures in place.  I plan to stay clear of the dining, even the patio dining, for quite awhile.  I am still sticking to hanging with a few people I know are also taking this seriously and doing my grocery shopping.  Since I can't really go out and do my trade shows, I have had a few online orders (one being a 500 custom face mask order) so that keeps me sorta busy for now.  I'm not risking my health for anything.

Jill

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Went to an auction viewing about 12 miles away to see a lot listed as consisting of an old slide projector ( not interested in it) and two big cardboard boxes of slides ( back to film project). 

Probably several thousand 'slides' but only the mounts. Just tray after tray, box after box of slide mounts of different sorts, some plastic, some card, without any actual sliver of film to be seen anywhere. Wasted journey. No idea what that was all about. 

Edited by geogphotos

I could write a book about my no-good-terrible-awful week, but let's just go with this little slice of it. We had two full days without power while they did work in my neighborhood. Good excuse for me to go out photographing if the weather cooperates. So on Wednesday I went to a garden I hadn't visited before. It was okay--got some nice shots. On the way out I scraped my car on a stone wall I couldn't see and did, oh, about $3K damage if the body shop guy's initial guess is accurate. How long will it take me to recoup that by selling the photos I took on Alamy? (Ha. Sob.)

9 minutes ago, Lori Rider said:

I could write a book about my no-good-terrible-awful week, but let's just go with this little slice of it. We had two full days without power while they did work in my neighborhood. Good excuse for me to go out photographing if the weather cooperates. So on Wednesday I went to a garden I hadn't visited before. It was okay--got some nice shots. On the way out I scraped my car on a stone wall I couldn't see and did, oh, about $3K damage if the body shop guy's initial guess is accurate. How long will it take me to recoup that by selling the photos I took on Alamy? (Ha. Sob.)

I think Lori has the high score on the "How low can your day go?" game.

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

....we've all joined in with the 'to hell with it' mentality that seems to have become so prevalent since the 'stay home' slogan was dropped. Everyone back to work and on public transport is the next step in a few weeks. Although the infection rate is still very high, thankfully the strength of the virus seems to be weakening which may save us from ourselves.

We have? I must have missed the party. Beware. 

And where does your info about the virus weakening come from? Sounds extremely dubious info to me. What does that even mean?  The illness is milder now than it was? Fewer people are dying from it or being hospitalised?

The effects of this virus are still far from known and that includes the medium and long term effects. I had what was considered a mild dose back in March as there was and still is  a simple binary classification: severe (hospitalised plus or minus death) or mild (anything else). I am still experiencing very significant effects. There are many shades of seriousness associated with this virus, not least the lack of knowledge about length and quality of  immunity for those of us  who have had it. And you don’t have to be old with serious underlying conditions to have serious after effects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Boris suggests we'll be back to normal by Christmas; I think we'll be back to somehwhere near normality when we have developed a vaccine that's both effective and safe. Than may be a year, or two, or five... or more...

Four months ago he claimed we would have sent the virus packing. Who wouldn’t believe this man with his herd immunity, oven ready deals and his NHS bus to name a few inaccuracies that have emerged from his great gob? 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, John Morrison said:

I'm making the assumption that CV is just as contagious today as it was back in March...

I would strongly advise you to continue to do so 😎

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Fewer people are dying from it or being hospitalised?

Yes, that. The UK has failed to get the infection rate down compared to other countries, but we aren't seeing 'spikes' in deaths and ICU cases that seemed likely.

5 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Yes, that. The UK has failed to get the infection rate down compared to other countries, but we aren't seeing 'spikes' in deaths and ICU cases that seemed likely.

If that is even true, It does not mean the virus is weakening and that is a very dangerous statement in my opinion. The death and ICU statistics are very dubious in many respects but, that aside, focusing on just the so-called severe cases is missing a vast amount of important information. You don’t have to die from this thing for it to badly mess up your life, temporarily in the medium term or possibly permanently. I speak from experience and there are many more as yet officially undocumented in the same boat. 

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I do love British humor (humour). I'm sure several dozen long belly laughs have been good for my health. Thank you.

Paulette

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, MDM said:

there are many more as yet officially undocumented in the same boat. 

It seems that now even Matt Hancock is acknowledging this.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-matt-hancock-worried-about-debilitating-long-term-impact-of-covid-19-12028821

Also heard Labour MP Andrew Gwynne on LBC this morning:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-frei/coronavirus-post-viral-fatigue-condition-brain-fog/?fbclid=IwAR0Lh_hj9Awa8ghJsO9uoyhVFzneKKlZFnN1DUIzbQI6Mg8kP3BCk4qDwRc