Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Well, I don't know if this is a bad thing, but I'm putting my foot down today with regards to my role at work.

My immediate boss resigned in December, with 3 months notice, and come March, the HOD of my department still hadn't hired anyone. So I started picking up more responsibility before my immediate boss left, and I picked up a hell of a lot more responsibility once covid kicked in.

I told them I'd keep things running in the interim (work for charity, so wanted to do my bit), but it is now ~6 months later, and still nobody hired, despite having the OK to hire. I have told them I don't want that job, and the person in that job was always worked to the bone, and left. So I have also suggested to them a secondary senior role - which I would take.

Still now, nothing has changed, and I am picking up responsibilities WAY above my pay grade. I kind of need a decision now, and if they aren't willing to treat me fairly, I will simply stop taking on all the extra responsibility that I was not hired for, and is not in my contract and that I'm certainly not paid for. Today I have kind of reached the point of having had enough.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

Well, I don't know if this is a bad thing, but I'm putting my foot down today with regards to my role at work.

My immediate boss resigned in December, with 3 months notice, and come March, the HOD of my department still hadn't hired anyone. So I started picking up more responsibility before my immediate boss left, and I picked up a hell of a lot more responsibility once covid kicked in.

I told them I'd keep things running in the interim (work for charity, so wanted to do my bit), but it is now ~6 months later, and still nobody hired, despite having the OK to hire. I have told them I don't want that job, and the person in that job was always worked to the bone, and left. So I have also suggested to them a secondary senior role - which I would take.

Still now, nothing has changed, and I am picking up responsibilities WAY above my pay grade. I kind of need a decision now, and if they aren't willing to treat me fairly, I will simply stop taking on all the extra responsibility that I was not hired for, and is not in my contract and that I'm certainly not paid for. Today I have kind of reached the point of having had enough.

Good for you. People do take advantage of good people.

When working for an Ophthalmologist, we, the staff, all had our individual duties. The morning each week that the doctor was in surgery was catchup time. I worked very hard to get my work done which was to scrub down 5 exam rooms and all equipment, check meds and refill supplies, and make sure all the surgical tools were autoclaved.  
One gal spent most of her time gabbing with the other women instead of doing her work. She got behind on making up the appointment cards to mail out, so one day I offered to help her catch up. Wrong move. Because she decided if I had time to help her, then I had time to take that job permanently. It never dawned on her that I’d worked my behind off that morning in order to carve out some time to help her.
So I ended up with a new time-consuming chore and was frantically working from then on to get it all done.  I just did it, because I’m not one to make waves or fight. I’ve regretted ever since not standing up for myself.

No good deed goes unpunished.  I learned my lesson.

It’s said that the meek shall inherit the earth, but sometimes it’s the meek who end up with the weight of the world on our collective shoulders.
Betty

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you. People do take advantage of good people.

When working for an Ophthalmologist, we, the staff, all had our individual duties. The morning each week that the doctor was in surgery was catchup time. I worked very hard to get my work done which was to scrub down 5 exam rooms and all equipment, check meds and refill supplies, and make sure all the surgical tools were autoclaved.  
One gal spent most of her time gabbing with the other women instead of doing her work. She got behind on making up the appointment cards to mail out, so one day I offered to help her catch up. Wrong move. Because she decided if I had time to help her, then I had time to take that job permanently. It never dawned on her that I’d worked my behind off that morning in order to carve out some time to help her.
So I ended up with a new time-consuming chore and was frantically working from then on to get it all done.  I just did it, because I’m not one to make waves or fight. I’ve regretted ever since not standing up for myself.

No good deed goes unpunished.  I learned my lesson.

It’s said that the meek shall inherit the earth, but sometimes it’s the meek who end up with the weight of the world on our collective shoulders.
Betty

Yeah, people do like to take advantage. 

With any luck, I will have a clearer idea of whether or not I'll get the promotion by end of the week.

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s said that the meek shall inherit the earth,

Well, there's only a single source for this questionable sentiment. 😇

I recall Monty Python’s Life of Brian, and the woman in the crowd who was having difficulty hearing what Jesus was saying. “Oh, it's the meek! 'Blessed are the meek!' Oh, that's nice, isn't it? I'm glad they're getting something because they have a hell of a time.”

• Haha 5
On 26/07/2020 at 04:51, Sally R said:

No, I didn't even photograph the beehive 🙁 Terrible, I know. I've wondered before if it is built that way to withstand earthquakes. It seems to have undergone refurbishments to make it more earthquake proof, but still not sure if this was the intent in the original design. I've enjoyed seeing your Wellington and other NZ pics. Would love to go back. It will probably be the first overseas place Australians can visit once Covid-19 subsides.

I experienced a couple of minor tremors while I was there that I thought I might even be imagining, but looked up Wellington Quake Live and found that they had indeed happened. I arrived in Bhutan just after the Nepal quake in 2015, and experienced an aftershock there which was the first time I'd experienced anything like that. It is mostly very geologically stable here in Western Australia, but we do get the odd one and there was one recently in the south near the town of Walpole.

The Beehive was indeed designed earthquake-proof, but the old 20s parliament building next door was upgraded in the 90s. Basically they sawed through the foundations and put rubber shock absorbers in between. Which I completely failed to photograph on the tour.

Edited by spacecadet
Posted (edited)

Your girl is a hero, Michael, and sometimes heroes get wounded. Everyone here—everyone she knows—is pulling for her.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Your girl is a hero, Michael, and sometimes heroes get wounded. Everyone here—everyone she knows—is pulling for her.

Thanks Edo.  She is more brave than I am, that’s for sure.  I talked to her a bit ago and she is improving daily! The hospital called my mobile yesterday, thinking it was her number....she had listed my mobile as an emergency contact.  I was glad to see that they were checking on her and getting an accident report put together so she will get all the care and medical coverage she needs.  I wanted to go by and see her but had to go to North Carolina for a quick “hit and run” shoot.

• Like 1

Covid 19 is on the upswing in the US again. In my county and town, too. Masks are mandatory where I live. But I’ve been using them from the beginning even when they weren’t.

Odd that months ago, it was being discussed by Fauci and others that we could see an autumn surge much like seasonal flu. Who knew at that time that it would keep surging through the summer.

I have a relative that is in Mexico with his wife and two small daughters doing missionary work. They were within a day of leaving for a visit with relatives in the states about a month ago when they learned they’d be allowed to leave Mexico, but not allowed back in. Visit aborted.

On a good note, it appears that some of the testing on prevention is showing promising results.

• Confused 1
On 28/07/2020 at 23:15, spacecadet said:

The Beehive was indeed designed earthquake-proof, but the old 20s parliament building next door was upgraded in the 90s. Basically they sawed through the foundations and put rubber shock absorbers in between. Which I completely failed to photograph on the tour.

Ah thanks, yes it certainly looks like a good earthquake-proof design.

On 18/07/2020 at 15:18, Mr Standfast said:

Bryan posted a picture of a very dodgy potato the other day, I wanted to say put a rosette on it and see who votes for it!!  Sorry but thats the worst I've got!

Here's another one, hopefully it won't give Edo nightmares. 

potato-tuber-with-growth-cracks-variety-red-rooster-2C92A93.jpg

Variety Red Rooster from Albert Bartlett. Cracking due to uneven soil moisture conditions. Only one tuber affected so far, but many more to lift. I can live with this but I don't want to be posting a photo of a tuber with blight !

Edited by Bryan
spelling
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Here's another one, hopefully it won't give Edo nightmares. 

Variety Red Rooster from Albert Barlett. Cracking due to uneven soil moisture conditions. Only one tuber affected so far, but many more to lift. I can live with this but I don't want to be posting a photo of a tuber with blight !

Not a good year for potatoes. Early Maris Piper were okay but Belle de Fontenay and Ratte not good at all. Digging Lady Cristl at the moment, okay but not many of them. Sarpo still slowly growing.....

Had a really down, demoralising day 😢 Too much to explain. Drank cider. Feel slightly better 😐 Will go out and do some photography tomorrow. That always helps 🙂

26 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Had a really down, demoralising day 😢 Too much to explain. Drank cider. Feel slightly better 😐 Will go out and do some photography tomorrow. That always helps 🙂

Chin up Sally. Tomorrow is a brand new day. Stick to what makes you happy. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, gvallee said:
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Chin up Sally. Tomorrow is a brand new day. Stick to what makes you happy. 

Thanks Gen!! Yes each day is a new one and things always get better 😊

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

These are such strange times. I get mood swings, for no very obvious reasons, and motivation comes and goes. But I've enjoyed my picture-taking these past few weeks... and the fact that, despite everything, Alamy sales are holding up. Cider, you say? Cheers! 🥂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

These are such strange times. I get mood swings, for no very obvious reasons, and motivation comes and goes. But I've enjoyed my picture-taking these past few weeks... and the fact that, despite everything, Alamy sales are holding up. Cider, you say? Cheers! 🥂

Thanks John 🙂 Cheers to you too! 🥂

Realising it is back to work tomorrow after taking the afternoon off today. (See my last post in 'Post a good thing that happened in your life today).

Allan

13 hours ago, Sally R said:

Strange thing. I thought I’d coped with the Covid thing pretty well. I’ve kept myself busy. Doing my Alamy work, painting watercolor, lots of reading, tending my tomatoes.

Last week was my oldest daughter’s birthday and I asked her to come up for the day to celebrate. I made her an apple pie at her request rather than cake.  She lives about 2 1/2 hours away. My other daughter came over, too.

We picked up take away salads for lunch, had pie, laughed and visited. The two ended up cutting some watercolor board to painting sizes for me. More laughing at their mistakes!

I was so very happy, almost euphoric. When they both left about 5 o’clock, I told them it felt like it was my birthday, and I was almost in tears of happiness. (Okay, I was)

That made me realize I’ve been lonelier for family than I realized.
Sally, I have Pina Coladas (don’t know how to put that squiggle in) in the freezer, leftover from when my son was here a month ago.  Come over and we’ll drown our sorrows.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sally, I have Pina Coladas (don’t know how to put that squiggle in) in the freezer, leftover from when my son was here a month ago.  Come over and we’ll drown our sorrows.

Betty, to get the ‘squiggle” when using your iPad, just hold down the letter and choices should pop up. When selecting the “n” you’d get ñ or ń. Just select the proper choice by sliding your finger up and you get Piña. 

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Betty, to get the ‘squiggle” when using your iPad, just hold down the letter and choices should pop up. When selecting the “n” you’d get ñ or ń. Just select the proper choice by sliding your finger up and you get Piña. 

Piña.  Wow, got it! Old dogs, new tricks. Thanks Cecile!

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:
On 30/07/2020 at 19:00, Sally R said:

Strange thing. I thought I’d coped with the Covid thing pretty well. I’ve kept myself busy. Doing my Alamy work, painting watercolor, lots of reading, tending my tomatoes.

Last week was my oldest daughter’s birthday and I asked her to come up for the day to celebrate. I made her an apple pie at her request rather than cake.  She lives about 2 1/2 hours away. My other daughter came over, too.

We picked up take away salads for lunch, had pie, laughed and visited. The two ended up cutting some watercolor board to painting sizes for me. More laughing at their mistakes!

I was so very happy, almost euphoric. When they both left about 5 o’clock, I told them it felt like it was my birthday, and I was almost in tears of happiness. (Okay, I was)

That made me realize I’ve been lonelier for family than I realized.

That's so nice of you Betty 😊 If I could beam myself Star Trek style from Australia to the US I would come and visit you and drink Pina Coladas! I think it is really true that it is when loved ones leave, even after you've had a lovely time, that it hits you how much you miss them when they are not there. And of course the whole Covid thing makes us feel it even more. We are doing well here now in Western Australia, but eastern Australia has had a resurgence and they are back into lockdown in some places. Anyway, all your activities sound lovely - photography, painting, reading, gardening... All really nurturing, fulfilling things to be doing. I'm hoping to get some veggies growing this Spring 🥕🥦🍎🥒

On 30/07/2020 at 12:00, Sally R said:

Sally, dear: It's not strange or odd for any of us to feel bad during these scary, bad days. Feel better! That's an order! Well, more a suggestion and a hope.  🙂

Edo

• Like 3
On 29/07/2020 at 16:17, Betty LaRue said:

Covid 19 is on the upswing in the US again. In my county and town, too. Masks are mandatory where I live. But I’ve been using them from the beginning even when they weren’t.

Odd that months ago, it was being discussed by Fauci and others that we could see an autumn surge much like seasonal flu. Who knew at that time that it would keep surging through the summer.

Is it actually on the upswing or are numbers appearing higher because more people are being tested? 1 in 1000 is 0.1% and so is 1000 in 1,000,000, but the latter sounds better if you state it out of context without the percentage. Which is exactly what is happening here - I wonder why?

We are having to deal with the same hysteria now in England, Greater Manchester now on "lockdown" again with people being banned from seeing people from other households. It's utterly ridiculous and becoming like something out of a dystopian novel. I wouldn't be so wound up about it if it were actually something to be deeply afraid of but it isn't - the virus has a 0.2% mortality rate *of people that get it* and here at the moment you have a 1 in 4000 chance of even catching it in the first place. 

The average death rate here for the last few months has been no higher than it was last year. Yet the utter buffoons that run this country still insist on wrecking it over this overblown threat. What is the end plan I wonder? Just keep "locking down" until every case vanishes? Because this will probably come back around every year like the cold and flu does, and if they think we are "locking down" every time it does they have another thing coming. The fact that the majority of supermarkets and police have outright said they won't/can't police the wearing of masks is a de facto vote of no confidence in our government. Not to mention the utterly devastating long term effect this will have on the development of young children who have now had to live a sizeable proportion of their lives isolated from others, the hit on mental health and the effects falling GDP will have on crime etc.

They can stick their lockdown up their ar*e.

EDIT: I misspoke above about the 1/4000 chance of catching it. This 1/4000, I am told, is the chance of simply /finding/ someone with the virus. You then have to catch it from them, which is a less than 100% chance. Far less.

From very easily google-able statistics, using the world population number and those who have died from covid worldwide, the mortality percentage works out as 0.008641%. Why are we scared of this again?

Edited by Cal
numbers and words and stuff
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3
1 hour ago, Cal said:

Is it actually on the upswing or are numbers appearing higher because more people are being tested? 1 in 1000 is 0.1% and so is 1000 in 1,000,000, but the latter sounds better if you state it out of context without the percentage. Which is exactly what is happening here - I wonder why?

We are having to deal with the same hysteria now in England, Greater Manchester now on "lockdown" again with people being banned from seeing people from other households. It's utterly ridiculous and becoming like something out of a dystopian novel. I wouldn't be so wound up about it if it were actually something to be deeply afraid of but it isn't - the virus has a 0.2% mortality rate *of people that get it* and here at the moment you have a 1 in 4000 chance of even catching it in the first place. 

The average death rate here for the last few months has been no higher than it was last year. Yet the utter buffoons that run this country still insist on wrecking it over this overblown threat. What is the end plan I wonder? Just keep "locking down" until every case vanishes? Because this will probably come back around every year like the cold and flu does, and if they think we are "locking down" every time it does they have another thing coming. The fact that the majority of supermarkets and police have outright said they won't/can't police the wearing of masks is a de facto vote of no confidence in our government. Not to mention the utterly devastating long term effect this will have on the development of young children who have now had to live a sizeable proportion of their lives isolated from others, the hit on mental health and the effects falling GDP will have on crime etc.

They can stick their lockdown up their ar*e.

EDIT: I misspoke above about the 1/4000 chance of catching it. This 1/4000, I am told, is the chance of simply /finding/ someone with the virus. You then have to catch it from them, which is a less than 100% chance. Far less.

From very easily google-able statistics, using the world population number and those who have died from covid worldwide, the mortality percentage works out as 0.008641%. Why are we scared of this again?

Because we don't wish to die?

Allan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2