Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Doing my accounts. 😡😥

When I had my own business I enjoyed doing my own accounts. They were always approved by an independent qualified accountant.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

44 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Er, you still have one!

Not really. If I were to do the accounts for this pastime as a business over the years I have been doing it the profit loss would be heavily biased to the loss side of the scales and the tax man would owe me around £35,000.00.

Against that I don't think he would be interested in the piddling amount I have received from Alamy.

Allan

Not me, but:

Photographer mugged for his DSLR.

Hopefully not an Alamy contributor. I've walked down that road many times with my camera gear, but usually keep it in my backpack until needed. Still, it could easily have been me, so I'll be especially glad if the perpetrators get caught in this case.

Edited by DJ Myford
Typo

19 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Not me, but:

Photographer mugged for his DSLR.

Hopefully not an Alamy contributor. I've walked down that road many times with my camera gear, but usually keep it in my backpack until needed. Still, it could easily have been me, so I'll be especially glad if the perpetrators get caught in this case.

I reckon seeing the related incident on my local photography group "Lenses of Croydon" FB page (now removed). The injuries on the photographer face looked very bad. I hope he is recovering well.

This weekend we were finally due to see our latest grandchild, and next week get away for the first time this year  in our caravan, when a warning light appeared on the car, related to the emission control system. Looking at the manual you are supposed to contact a garage immediately. I rang our closest dealer, but despite explaining the circumstances and the fact that they had serviced the car last week, they were unable to deal with the problem until next Thursday. The Mrs very unhappy.

Took the car to Fred in the Shed who dropped tools and plugged in his computer. He wasn't able to determine the problem but he did cancel the warning light. He said he thought it was probably a glitch and, provided that the light didn't come on again, it was OK to drive. 

We're left in a state of limbo, is there a genuine problem or was it just a random electronic fault? I'm coming to the conclusion that modern diesel cars are just too much trouble, devices fitted to control emissions are a major source of problems, but for towing even a small caravan I'm not sure there is a viable and affordable alternative. We've already had a new Adblue pump fitted under warranty, but the car is no longer covered and I can see an expensive repair looming, and this assumes that the main dealer can accurately diagnose the fault and provide a remedy. I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile plan B involves a costly  train journey to visit the new grandbairn.

Plan C involves selling car and caravan and buying small cheap petrol runabout. 

Bring on the hydrogen powered cars!

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

This weekend we were finally due to see our latest grandchild, and next week get away for the first time this year  in our caravan, when a warning light appeared on the car, related to the emission control system. Looking at the manual you are supposed to contact a garage immediately. I rang our closest dealer, but despite explaining the circumstances and the fact that they had serviced the car last week, they were unable to deal with the problem until next Thursday. The Mrs very unhappy.

Took the car to Fred in the Shed who dropped tools and plugged in his computer. He wasn't able to determine the problem but he did cancel the warning light. He said he thought it was probably a glitch and, provided that the light didn't come on again, it was OK to drive. 

We're left in a state of limbo, is there a genuine problem or was it just a random electronic fault? I'm coming to the conclusion that modern diesel cars are just too much trouble, devices fitted to control emissions are a major source of problems, but for towing even a small caravan I'm not sure there is a viable and affordable alternative. We've already had a new Adblue pump fitted under warranty, but the car is no longer covered and I can see an expensive repair looming, and this assumes that the main dealer can accurately diagnose the fault and provide a remedy. I'm not holding my breath.

Hello Bryan, 

Every time someone moans about Alamy I wonder how they would cope with an interaction with a UK maindealer garage....

Maybe take the car, blow the cobwebs out! They haven't had a lot of use this year and modern diesels are fussy.

Seems safer than the train. Stay safe. 😉

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hello Bryan, 

Every time someone moans about Alamy I wonder how they would cope with an interaction with a UK maindealer garage....

Maybe take the car, blow the cobwebs out! They haven't had a lot of use this year and modern diesels are fussy.

Seems safer than the train. Stay safe. 😉

Thanks for the response! 

We did cure a blocked filter by taking the car for a speedy run some while ago. but this is a different problem, engine management rather than particulate filter. 

Not keen on driving a distance in case the light comes on again, then progresses from warning orange to serious red, when the engine will start to shut down. Could be fatal on one of these anything but smart death trap motorways. Intending to take it for a shorter drive today.

Option D, hire a car.

Edited by Bryan

36 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for the response! 

We did cure a blocked filter by taking the car for a speedy run some while ago. but this is a different problem, engine management rather than particulate filter. 

Not keen on driving a distance in case the light comes on again, then progresses from warning orange to serious red, when the engine will start to shut down. Could be fatal on one of these anything but smart death trap motorways. Intending to take it for a shorter drive today.

Option D, hire a car.

Option D...   🙂

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

You need one of these Bryan. It's even got a 'Tiger in its Tank':

2AAK8NF.jpg

We could get into a debate about the relative merits of campervans and caravans, we've considered both but opted for the towed variety. Sure could do without having to reverse the van into tricky places however. Once, while towing through France, the satnav sent me into a building site, that was quite interesting.....

Some folk have tried both and found that a different solution was preferable depending on their stage in life.

Rich folk, probably not photographers, tow a little car behind their motorhome, well beyond what I am prepared to spend. 

Re car saga, took it for a longish outing and no sign of the warning light - fingers crossed.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We could get into a debate about the relative merits of campervans and caravans, we've considered both but opted for the towed variety. Sure could do without having to reverse the van into tricky places however. Once, while towing through France, the satnav sent me into a building site, that was quite interesting.....

Some folk have tried both and found that a different solution was preferable depending on their stage in life.

Rich folk, probably not photographers, tow a little car behind their motorhome, well beyond what I am prepared to spend. 

Re car saga, took it for a longish outing and no sign of the warning light - fingers crossed.

Hope your car behaves Bryan. 

There is no such thing as the ideal rig. It all depends on what one likes to do, campsites or wild camping, offroad or tarmac, towing or not towing, age, budget, ability to manoeuvre. Every combination has its pros and cons. Our non-negotiable wishes were rigid walls (that excluded very popular camper trailers), no towing (ditto + caravans), off road vehicle, north/south bed (no climbing over OH in the middle of the night). So we settled for a mini-bus motorhome. Excellent in many respects, ticks many boxes, but we find it hard to park in town, either when visiting or going to the supermarket. Also while set up, awning out, etc, we sometimes need a little persuasion to take it all down to temporarily go somewhere. We have met countless Aussies who have gone full circle trying to find the perfect rig.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Hope your car behaves Bryan. 

There is no such thing as the ideal rig. It all depends on what one likes to do, campsites or wild camping, offroad or tarmac, towing or not towing, age, budget, ability to manoeuvre. Every combination has its pros and cons. Our non-negotiable wishes were rigid walls (that excluded very popular camper trailers), no towing (ditto + caravans), off road vehicle, north/south bed (no climbing over OH in the middle of the night). So we settled for a mini-bus motorhome. Excellent in many respects, ticks many boxes, but we find it hard to park in town, either when visiting or going to the supermarket. Also while set up, awning out, etc, we sometimes need a little persuasion to take it all down to temporarily go somewhere. We have met countless Aussies who have gone full circle trying to find the perfect rig.

Thanks

We carry folding bikes in the back of the car, prefer to leave the car rooted and explore or shop by bicycle if possible, but it is useful to be able to leave the van parked and drive off.

Speed limits are another caravan issue, it's a tolerable 60 mph on UK dual carriageways but a sluggish 50 mph  in much of continental Europe. Seems to be honoured in the breach by some however.

Climbing over OH in the middle of the night sadly a real problem for aging personnel, might have to resort to single bed arrangements !

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Once, while towing through France, the satnav sent me into a building site, that was quite interesting.....

I am very wary of what my satnav tells me after an experience last year ... got off the ferry in Northern France to start the long drive to Hungary and set the satnav to fastest route ... by the time I realised where it was taking me, it was too late ... I wouldn't wish the experience of driving through central Paris during rush hour on anyone ...

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Climbing over OH in the middle of the night sadly a real problem for aging personnel, might have to resort to single bed arrangements !

We have the best of both worlds. Two North/South single beds, with extension planks for the middle, easily stored under matresses, for cold nights... that's why we have a 7m long vehicle.

Edited by gvallee

Nearly home from our jaunt to North Yorkshire in the motorhome. Impressed by how well equipped and comfortable it was. Big rise and fall double bed at the front, two singles at the back. Separate shower and toilet. Actually the only cramped bit was the loo!  Big ‘garage’ space at the back that had room for two bikes, fold up table and chairs etc.

Only irritation was the owners of the motorhome next to ours who were oblivious to their dog barking!

Bad news is we had a big cold front come through Wednesday. I turned on the heat toward evening, and discovered my furnace isn’t working. (Again) I’ve got someone coming Monday. Meanwhile I’m in heavier clothes and added another blanket to my bed, and broke out my winter jammies.

Many places in Kansas set new record lows the past couple of days/nights. And it snowed in the upper NW corner.
The weekend will be fine. Temps in low 80s during the days. I can turn off the gas burners on my kitchen range.

I actually looked forward to the cooler weather after a string of nearly 100 degree days. But not without heat in the house when needed!

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bad news is we had a big cold front come through Wednesday. I turned on the heat toward evening, and discovered my furnace isn’t working. (Again) I’ve got someone coming Monday. Meanwhile I’m in heavier clothes and added another blanket to my bed, and broke out my winter jammies.

Many places in Kansas set new record lows the past couple of days/nights. And it snowed in the upper NW corner.
The weekend will be fine. Temps in low 80s during the days. I can turn off the gas burners on my kitchen range.

I actually looked forward to the cooler weather after a string of nearly 100 degree days. But not without heat in the house when needed!

Snow in Kansas in September - weird! Meanwhile it was 121 degrees earlier in the week in Woodland Hill, California (a suburban area in Valley in LA - not even in the desert!) 

A friend's house in Oregon just burned to the ground this week- those wildfires out west are horrific and the super hot weather out there and the drought are making things worse. 

Nothing bad happened to me - just had to react to what Betty said - glad you'll have time to get the boiler fixed before it really gets cold!

4 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Snow in Kansas in September - weird! Meanwhile it was 121 degrees earlier in the week in Woodland Hill, California (a suburban area in Valley in LA - not even in the desert!) 

A friend's house in Oregon just burned to the ground this week- those wildfires out west are horrific and the super hot weather out there and the drought are making things worse. 

Nothing bad happened to me - just had to react to what Betty said - glad you'll have time to get the boiler fixed before it really gets cold!

Thanks, I hope they fix it right!
What do you mean by boiler? Using oil as fuel creating steam heat?  In this part of the country, furnaces are powered by natural gas or electricity. Sometimes in country homes where natural gas lines don’t reach, they use propane gas stored in a tank. I have natural gas, which is cheaper than an all-electric home.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It sounds like maybe it is just your pilot light that has gone out on the furnace.  At my old house, I had to re-light it almost every fall.  I just hope you don’t pay a lot if that is the only issue.  It is fairly easy but understandable if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

It sounds like maybe it is just your pilot light that has gone out on the furnace.  At my old house, I had to re-light it almost every fall.  I just hope you don’t pay a lot if that is the only issue.  It is fairly easy but understandable if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Mine has an electronic pilot. It sends a spark which lights the pilot. Once the pilot comes on, a sensor that has been warmed up by the pilot, tells the furnace if it’s safe to release the gas to the burner, then the burner comes on. It’s not something I have to relight every fall like in the past. Much like the modern kitchen gas ranges. 
i have had to replace the igniter on my former kitchen range before, so it’s possible the furnace one has quit working. That would mean a part, labor, and service call to pay for. 
The overnight low was 57 and its foggy. Feels warmer than that. It’s 71 in the house. Happy to have a well insulated house that two of my kitchen burners have kept comfortable. It was that first night after the front came in that I froze. Too late to warm the house with the kitchen stove and I never leave burners on while I’m sleeping. The wind was howling which always seems to strip the house of heat faster.