Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mick I fully understood what Edo meant. I was just having a bit of fun with Edo in my post which he seems to have taken as it was meant.

I hope I have never or will ever imply that the Irish are stupid. I have a few Irish friends, you included, and I hope our friendship is not damaged by this discussion.

I know you enough from our meetings to know you are certainly NOT stupid. The first time this was discussed with you I hope you did not think I was stupid, naive maybe, But I am much more enlightened now since that point in time. That is why I say that I knew what Edo was talking about.

I am now finished replying to any other posts regarding this subject. Thank you for listening.

Best wishes my friend and I hope you are progressing more to full health after your brush with the virus. I do miss our meetings.

Allan

OK Allan. It is time to move on for sure. I know there was never any malice intended from you. I just wanted to be clear that I wasn’t having a go for no reason the last time. The national stereotyping that the Irish have been subjected to over the years has often been very damaging and it is not just harmless banter. This sort of stereotyping is widespread, often going way beyond nationalities in fact and used as a form of control over the masses by those who crave power with potentially very serious consequences. I will stop there. 

Anyway no worries. Let’s move on. Do take care and avoid any brushes with the virus 😀. I can definitely say it felt more like a head-on collision with an elephant and still does at times although there is light at the end of the tunnel I think ( unless I am seeing the headlights of a fast-approaching train 😎). 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Absolutely next time your down near Skibbereen give me a shout. (Castletownshend is my village) But Skib is the nearest town. This area was devastated by the famine, there is a very good museum dedicated to it. 

Sounds great Andy. I look forward to it. Hopefully sometime next year. I have not been down that part of West Cork since I was a kid going to football matches with my father and uncle when on holidays in Beara. 

I've decided that it's not worth trying to grow basil out of doors in these parts. I planted a couple outside but in the shelter of the south facing side of the greenhouse. They haven't died, but neither have they prospered, a pathetic effort.  In contrast, that which I have in the house, on a south facing window ledge, is growing like a triffid. No home made pesto for us this year.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:23, Cal said:

Is it actually on the upswing or are numbers appearing higher because more people are being tested? 1 in 1000 is 0.1% and so is 1000 in 1,000,000, but the latter sounds better if you state it out of context without the percentage. Which is exactly what is happening here - I wonder why?

We are having to deal with the same hysteria now in England, Greater Manchester now on "lockdown" again with people being banned from seeing people from other households. It's utterly ridiculous and becoming like something out of a dystopian novel. I wouldn't be so wound up about it if it were actually something to be deeply afraid of but it isn't - the virus has a 0.2% mortality rate *of people that get it* and here at the moment you have a 1 in 4000 chance of even catching it in the first place. 

The average death rate here for the last few months has been no higher than it was last year. Yet the utter buffoons that run this country still insist on wrecking it over this overblown threat. What is the end plan I wonder? Just keep "locking down" until every case vanishes? Because this will probably come back around every year like the cold and flu does, and if they think we are "locking down" every time it does they have another thing coming. The fact that the majority of supermarkets and police have outright said they won't/can't police the wearing of masks is a de facto vote of no confidence in our government. Not to mention the utterly devastating long term effect this will have on the development of young children who have now had to live a sizeable proportion of their lives isolated from others, the hit on mental health and the effects falling GDP will have on crime etc.

They can stick their lockdown up their ar*e.

EDIT: I misspoke above about the 1/4000 chance of catching it. This 1/4000, I am told, is the chance of simply /finding/ someone with the virus. You then have to catch it from them, which is a less than 100% chance. Far less.

From very easily google-able statistics, using the world population number and those who have died from covid worldwide, the mortality percentage works out as 0.008641%. Why are we scared of this again?

It's stupid comments and views like this that are exacerbating the problem.  Cases of C19 are on the rise and will keep rising as long as people think in this moronic way. 😡

• Love 3

56 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

It's stupid comments and views like this that are exacerbating the problem.  Cases of C19 are on the rise and will keep rising as long as people think in this moronic way. 😡

Just realised there's a connection with another thread and another odd set of opinions. Not someone especially amenable to facts or reason. Or even obeying the law apparently.

At least saying that jpegs are better than RAWs can't actually hurt anybody.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Just realised there's a connection with another thread and another odd set of opinions. Not someone especially amenable to facts or reason. Or even obeying the law apparently.

At least saying that jpegs are better than RAWs can't actually hurt anybody.

There is a bit more latitude for opinion in the raw versus jpeg thing (although I have been a raw evangelist for a long time and I recall helped you to see the light yourself 😀). 

With Covid-19 there is no debate. It is a potentially devastating disease and, as I said above, can have very serious long term effects even in the young and previously healthy, in addition to death of the very vulnerable. There is an excellent programme on the BBC iPlayer at the moment which highlights the long term effects  in the case of one of the presenters - a previously fit doctor who has developed ongoing serious fatigue and potentially fatal heart problems. 

Edited by MDM

14 hours ago, MDM said:

With Covid-19 there is no debate. It is a potentially devastating disease and, as I said above, can have very serious long term effects even in the young and previously healthy, in addition to death of the very vulnerable. There is an excellent programme on the BBC iPlayer at the moment which highlights the long term effects  in the case of one of the presenters - a previously fit doctor who has developed ongoing serious fatigue and potentially fatal heart problems. 

If you can access iplayer it is a must watch programme. Very interesting but also very sobering. 

On 07/08/2020 at 07:56, Thyrsis said:

If you can access iplayer it is a must watch programme. Very interesting but also very sobering. 

Yes and one of the most sobering thoughts is that so much is currently unknown about what is actually happening in the body. It was made clear in the programme that the consultants and researchers don't know what is causing these unexpected effects on organs other than the lungs and they don't know what the ultimate consequences will be for people experiencing long term effects. And it is clear that it is not just the elderly or those with serious underlying conditions that are at risk. This is not just going to miraculously disappear no matter what people wish and, even with vaccines, life is not just going back to normal anytime soon.

My bad thing today was rather fun in a way. I take a crosstown bus to some of my cat-sitting. It stops right in front of my building but on these weekends the block is closed off for outdoor dining. I made a point of finishing with cats in time to get the last bus before the street would close. It came very late but I expected to be able to get off at my stop. We hadn't gone more than a block when the street ahead of us was unexpectedly blocked off and the driver had to turn north. I heard her speaking on her phone trying to get instructions. The West Village is a very difficult area to navigate in a big bus. The streets are very narrow and there are often delivery vans double parked. It sometimes amazes me that the drivers manage to get through on the regular route. So she was checking out the streets as we went to see if she could make the turns. She was quite possibly new on the route. I have sometimes had to help drivers navigate because they have been put on the route without ever having traveled it. I was the only one on the bus and I had an idea what she could do but it was hard to communicate because they are protecting the drivers from the virus by having a plastic divider blocking the front section and riders get on and off at the back door. It is free. If I could have been next to her talking to her I might have helped but she was wandering on her own (in a giant bus) on our tiny streets. She headed back south and I expected her to turn where she could have been back at the terminal but she may not even have recognized the street if she is new to the route. She was passing it by so I had her let me off and she went downtown on her own. I wonder where she is now? On the way home I saw that the street that was blocked had a lot of fire trucks on it. I don't think it was a big fire. Nothing on the news. So that was my adventure for the day.

Paulette

Another in my continuing series of potato disasters (Sorry Edo)

Potato problems, tuber showing slug or wireworm damage in variety Red Rooster, England, UK Stock Photo

Not sure if it is wireworm or slug damage. Fortunately I had lifted most of the crop before too much damage was done. The positive, organically grown is good to eat for both bugs and humans. It pays to plant and lift early at our allotments.

Edited by Bryan

On 06/08/2020 at 17:52, MDM said:

There is a bit more latitude for opinion in the raw versus jpeg thing (although I have been a raw evangelist for a long time and I recall helped you to see the light yourself 😀). 

He's being intentionally inflammatory because he has no rebuttal for the points I made where in some cases the OOC jpeg has a better appearance than the OOC raw, and can therefore be advantageous if you didn't intend to do any extensive processing to the image as it was captured successfully in camera. The fact that I use no less than 90% of my raws and often extensively process them oddly never comes into it as like anyone with an agenda he couldn't risk making his campaign look like it has no foundation.

Instead of actually debating with me the points I raised, he continuously takes what I say out of context and simplifies it to make it look like he is some kind of hero. Should've been a reporter for the BBC.

As the for the rest of the post about me "not being amenable to facts" - what a load of bollocks. My post about COVID is the only one in this thread actually containing stats. If stats scare you or upset your narrative I'm sorry but that's not my problem. People have become far too scared of this virus and think that it makes them virtuous, and because of that virtue they shun and belittle anyone who isn't scared by it.

Keep misquoting me to deliberately make me the bad guy and I'm just going to keep reappearing.

Edited by Cal
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 5

Your post on Covid-19 was so misguided it is hard to believe you are defending what you said on the basis of so-called stats. I am sorry but to me you are not worth the time of day. Adios.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

On the 7th August I set off early morning for North Norfolk to catch high water for a stock session. It was brilliant. However, before 6am on the way out and within three miles of home I was recorded by a speed camera for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. Today I have received notice of prosecution, but when all is resolved I wonder how many images I will have to sell to cover the penalty!! Can't argue with the camera - I was driving the car!! Not a good start to the day. GRRR!

Jim 😩  

41 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

On the 7th August I set off early morning for North Norfolk to catch high water for a stock session. It was brilliant. However, before 6am on the way out and within three miles of home I was recorded by a speed camera for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. Today I have received notice of prosecution, but when all is resolved I wonder how many images I will have to sell to cover the penalty!! Can't argue with the camera - I was driving the car!! Not a good start to the day. GRRR!

Jim 😩  

Wow Jim that’s no fun!  I thought the speed cameras were bad here, in the USA but just 5mph over the limit generally won’t trigger a ticket here.   Most don’t get tripped unless your are doing 9mph or faster, over the limit.

10 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I thought that there was the option to go on a speed awareness course instead of the fine and points on your license for such a minor offence, or have they stopped running courses due to Covid?

You are correct. The option is still on the form and I've just my sent details off so I'll just have to wait for the final outcome/choices. I just feel disappointed that this is my first 'blip' in 50+ years of driving! 

Just now, Broad Norfolk said:

You are correct. The option is still on the form and I've just my sent details off so I'll just have to wait for the final outcome/choices. I just feel disappointed that this is my first 'blip' in 50+ years of driving! 

You're clearly a careful driver, and you've been unlucky. Maybe if you go on the course you can get a few stock photos!

1 hour ago, VbFolly said:

You're clearly a careful driver, and you've been unlucky. Maybe if you go on the course you can get a few stock photos!

I've read that  the speed awareness course is being done on Zoom because they are unable to deliver face-to-face courses!

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Wow Jim that’s no fun!  I thought the speed cameras were bad here, in the USA but just 5mph over the limit generally won’t trigger a ticket here.   Most don’t get tripped unless your are doing 9mph or faster, over the limit.

It's generally 10% +2 miles over the limit that triggers the ticket. 

Limit Fixed penalty
when course not
appropriate:
Speed
awareness course
Speed
awareness
course to:
Summons in
all other
cases above:
20mph 24mph 24mph 31mph 35mph
30mph 35mph 35mph 42mph 50mph
40mph 46mph 46mph 53mph 66mph
50mph 57mph 57mph 64mph 76mph
60mph 68mph 68mph 75mph 86mph
70mph 79mph 79mph 86mph 96mph
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

It's generally 10% +2 miles over the limit that triggers the ticket. 

Limit Fixed penalty
when course not
appropriate:
Speed
awareness course
Speed
awareness
course to:
Summons in
all other
cases above:
20mph 24mph 24mph 31mph 35mph
30mph 35mph 35mph 42mph 50mph
40mph 46mph 46mph 53mph 66mph
50mph 57mph 57mph 64mph 76mph
60mph 68mph 68mph 75mph 86mph
70mph 79mph 79mph 86mph 96mph

This actually makes sense.

On 14/08/2020 at 05:07, Broad Norfolk said:

I might be wrong, but over here, in certain places, the traffic police have quotas to make. X tickets to be written by each officer in a given month. Especially in and around smaller towns since they depend on the fines to help the town budget. 
During these times, I’m sure with the travel restrictions that were in place for so long, fines have gone way town, budgets are being crunched, and speed limits are being more strictly enforced.

Not saying that’s why you got ticketed, but just a musing from me. 
When I lived in Oklahoma City, there was a small “town” on the south side that covered about 1 square mile.  Surrounded on all sides by Oklahoma City. I never was in the area, but I think a strip joint was their second biggest money-maker. The first being, of course, writing speeding tickets if you even thought about going one mile over the limit.

That’s why I never was around the area, because traditionally I go about 3 miles over the limit except in school zones or construction areas. I would have surely gotten a ticket.

Like Michael said, usually we aren’t looked at as fine material unless going 5-10 miles over on the highway. Maybe 5 on town streets in my neck of the woods. Sorry you got afoul of the limit, especially with your excellent record. 

Reminds me of when I was a child. I went to school when I was so sick I could barely hold my head up because I didn’t want to ruin my perfect attendance record, which led to being presented an award certificate in front of the class.  3 years, no misses. While I spread my germs like Typhoid Mary, considering I was a sickly child who barely got over one cold before catching another, probably from another classmate who was aiming for a perfect record.  Of course, I knew nothing too much about germs then.
A 50 + year record....ouch.

Edited to add. Valley Brook, all of .3 square miles. Even tinier than I thought.

QUOTE: Yes, it’s a speed trap.

Eastern Avenue near S.E. 59th Street

VALLEY BROOK, OKLAHOMAOCT 22, 20070 COMMENTS

Heading North bound on Eastern avenue, especially during morning traffic you enter into the city of Valley Brook, the speed limit drops from 50 to 40 mph and on the West side of Eastern just about 1 mile before SE 59th Street there is always a cop car waiting to catch somebody.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Our latest car is the first we have possessed to have cruise control, I find it invaluable where speed limits are concerned. Not infallible, it won't apply the brakes on a downhill section, but it mostly keeps to the required speed.

It's otherwise so easy to be distracted and to allow the speed to creep up, my wife, normally a careful driver,  was caught out last year and did the course. 

We're seeing many more 20 mph limits around these days, catching up with some other European countries where urban limits have been  30 kph for a a long while, but it's taking  some time for people to respect them here. As a cyclist I generally welcome these lower limits, particularly where roads pass peoples' front doors and kids could be playing.

Edited by Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Bad thing. I’ve been fostering 2 Monarch caterpillars inside in my butterfly cage. One formed the J hook yesterday and should have formed a chrysalis today. Instead I found it dead, and a wiggly worm-thing wiggling on the floor of the cage, after it had burst out of the caterpillar. Victim of the tachinid fly, that lays microscopic eggs on the caterpillars, then burrow inside.

Less than 10% of Monarchs make it to the butterfly stage due to disease and predators.

I still have one caterpillar left, it was the youngest. I’m ever hopeful.

I planted 5 milkweed plants this spring so I could try to help the Monarchs, whose numbers are decreasing. I go out multiple times a day looking for eggs, and squish tiny yellow aphids with my fingers that feast on the milkweed.

Looking for eggs is hopeless. They are tiny. Found on the underside of leaves. Ever tried to turn over 500 leaves? I give up in frustration after 50 or so.
Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue