Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

As far as photography things go, the only thing that failed on me was a tripod head and the venerated Nikon 24-70 lens that I paid Big Bucks for. It became stuck at one focal distance. Turned out to be a common flaw. A shame, it took cracking photos. It was out of warranty so I sold it to someone who took it apart and fixed it. My hair turned white just thinking about having the guts to do that.

I had the equivalent gruesomely expensive Canon 24-70 f2.8 Betty, and it was never right from new. A couple of trips back to meet its maker brought about some improvement - including an alleged replacement of a lens cluster - but it was always soft down  one side. It was bought for work and at an early stage in my photo career, had I received it now it would have gone straight back and a refund or replacement demanded. You live and learn.

However I later bought a used Canon 24-105 f4 and that lens is (I still have it) a cracker.  On the downside it suffers from CA and there is a fair amount of distortion at the wide end, but it is SHARP, which, strangley enough, I feel is an essential prerequisite for any lens ( brings me back to bemoan some of this modern junk that I have tried).  Sadly I find it too heavy to carry around these days, but I can't bear to part with it.

Edited by Bryan

As bad luck as it can be. We've broken down right bang in the middle of the desert. Fuel in oil. It's about 800km from a decent size town. A truck is on its way to pick us up first thing tomorrow morning for the long drive back. Then it will be at least 8h cooped up next to the driver. ON MY BIRTHDAY!! I had planned to spend it in the red sand dunes... Hughie (my motorhome) how could you do that to me?? Boo hoooooo....

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

As bad luck as it can be. We've broken down right bang in the middle of the desert. Fuel in oil. It's about 800km from a decent size town. A truck is on its way to pick us up first thing tomorrow morning for the long drive back. Then it will be at least 8h cooped up next to the driver. ON MY BIRTHDAY!! I had planned to spend it in the red sand dunes... Hughie (my motorhome) how could you do that to me?? Boo hoooooo....

Very sorry to hear this Gen.  You won’t forget this birthday but I do hope you have a fun and creative one, somehow!

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Very sorry to hear this Gen.  You won’t forget this birthday but I do hope you have a fun and creative one, somehow!

Thank you Michael. Just had some bubbly. This is to forget about the bill to come...

Hope you daughter is OK?

1 minute ago, Sally R said:

Sorry to hear this Gen. Maybe somehow some interesting stock photos will come out of it, even if it is of your motor home being rescued (naughty Hughie). Happy Birthday for tomorrow and hope you can celebrate at some point, maybe a nice dinner in the town you are heading to. Take care.

Very sweet of you Sally. We brought my birthday forward and had bubbly tonight in naughty Hughie. I hope the truck driver is a riot tomorrow, so many hours sitting next to him. Our situation could be much worse of course, Covid lockdown or having lost our home in a bushfire. I am looking for the silver lining and am already finding a few.

47 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Michael. Just had some bubbly. This is to forget about the bill to come...

Hope you daughter is OK?

Thanks for asking Gen.  She is well and is back to working her regular nursing job at the hospital.  She now mainly cares for people who are post cardiac events, procedures and surgeries.  The cases of Covid patients are way down in our area and my fingers crossed that it will stay that way!  

Happy Birthday!

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks for asking Gen.  She is well and is back to working her regular nursing job at the hospital.  She now mainly cares for people who are post cardiac events, procedures and surgeries.  The cases of Covid patients are way down in our area and my fingers crossed that it will stay that way!  

Happy Birthday!

Excellent news. Thank you Michael.

Sorry to hear about your problems Gen. Hope it is all OK soon.

In a months time you will say what breakdown, I don't remember that.

Allan

• Love 1

On 29/09/2020 at 12:17, Bryan said:

this is the second gear cable to snap.

Pretty unusual, it it something to do with the routing? I can't imagine you letting it get rusty, if it's even had time. Nipples occasionally come off but usually after years.

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to hear about your problems Gen. Hope it is all OK soon.

In a months time you will say what breakdown, I don't remember that.

Allan

Thanks Allan, it's 800km back in the wrong direction. Anyway, it could be much much worse. 

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Oh dear, hopefully it can be sorted ASAP.

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Pretty unusual, it it something to do with the routing? I can't imagine you letting it get rusty, if it's even had time. Nipples occasionally come off but usually after years.

I think that it's down to a sharp bend in the gear change mechanism Mark, it causes the steel to fatigue as it is bent over many times. I had a similar problem with the Shimano rapid fire changer on my MTB, and had to change the cable every year, but I used to ride that bike to work every day. This one appears to be worse. Not the worst changer I have had mind, that was the grip shift that was originally fitted to the MTB, it contained plastic components that wore very quickly. I binned it in no time at all.

In truth once you start to get poor shifts it's probably time to change the cable on these modern shifters, as that probably means it's near the end of its life.

My original tourer had beautifully sculpted down tube shifters (Sun Tour power shifters) with a generously dimensioned barrel, they never gave a squeak of trouble. 

Edited by Bryan

The new Merseyside virus rules start tomorrow: "only to use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work."

Does this mean I can't take the train to Chester and stay for a few days? 

Edited by Ed Rooney

On 29/09/2020 at 04:17, Bryan said:

Defective Modern Things

So it came to pass that my only remaining usable auto focus lense has become defective. (The previous failure was the standard Sony zoom as fitted to the Nex 6). This one, a Sigma 19mm f2.8, has developed a rattle and a percentage of images are very soft down one side, so maybe an element is loose? Whatever, today I set off to cycle through to the local trusty repairer in Newcastle.

Don't the elements in the those little Sigma lenses always rattle around until you activate the AF? The ones that I looked at did. Have to say that I found this feature a bit unnerving.

Decided I had to cancel a photo shoot of a Nicaraguan birthday party because the group would have 18 people in it, and while I have a couple of N-95 masks, the whole party would require moving light gear from my house to there, and dealing with a lot of people who don't wear masks.   I suggested another local photographer who has done passport photos and printing for me and has the same lighting gear.   It was my ex-landlord and I've wanted to get photos of him and his immediate family, but didn't this event was really worth the contact risk or having gear on light stands around children.  

News from the US underlined the need to be prudent. 

• Love 3

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Don't the elements in the those little Sigma lenses always rattle around until you activate the AF? The ones that I looked at did. Have to say that I found this feature a bit unnerving.

I was wondering about that too John, I can't recall ever shaking the lens to find out, but the problem of softness down the right side is new. It was never brilliant along the edges, but very sharp in the centre and  always usable, while now I have to discard images, so a genuine problem I fear. 

Having checked the opening times on the Facebook page of our local repairer I cycled into town to leave the lens, but his place was closed. I clearly need to phone before travelling!  Never fear, it was a pleasant ride in the sunshine, and with torrential rain predicted for today.

I do recall reading somewhere that Sigma regarded these relatively cheap lenses as being disposable, and not part of their service/repair programme. But it appears to be held together by bolts, so it must come apart. I would happily lose the auto focus feature provided that the lens produced sharp photos, the EVF on the a6500 is excellent, perfect for manual focus.

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The new Merseyside virus rules start tomorrow: "only to use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work."

I could loan you a bicycle Edo 😉

Personally I wouldn't go near public transport at the moment. During this latest surge in the virus we are staying away from crowded shops and not using the bus or train. We normally walk the couple of miles to the shops and take the bus home, but we've just picked up a large order from Sainsbury's using click and collect and the car.

Today's bad thing, intending to tackle our tax returns 😞

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I was wondering about that too John, I can't recall ever shaking the lens to find out, but the problem of softness down the right side is new. It was never brilliant along the edges, but very sharp in the centre and  always usable, while now I have to discard images, so a genuine problem I fear. 

Having checked the opening times on the Facebook page of our local repairer I cycled into town to leave the lens, but his place was closed. I clearly need to phone before travelling!  Never fear, it was a pleasant ride in the sunshine, and with torrential rain predicted for today.

I do recall reading somewhere that Sigma regarded these relatively cheap lenses as being disposable, and not part of their service/repair programme. But it appears to be held together by bolts, so it must come apart. I would happily lose the auto focus feature provided that the lens produced sharp photos, the EVF on the a6500 is excellent, perfect for manual focus.

One of the reasons I went for the more expensive Sony 35mm f/1.8 rather than the Sigma 30mm when looking for a fast "standard lens" was that I thought that the Sony looked to be better made. Perhaps you can find a used replacement for the Sigma 19mm if it can't be fixed. Good luck.

The weather forecast this weekend is awful. Not suitable for tomorrows planned trip to Pin Mill. Shame as last time I visited was around 20 years back. We meet up with my wife's brother there for a barbecue on his Contessa yacht moored in the estuary, then had a small drink in the pub before heading home. 

Edited by sb photos

I was asking about the latest 'rule', Bryan. I know the virus drill. I wouldn't expect a midday train to Chester to be crowded like the London Underground going and coming to work. Anyway, the weather does not look promising for pics here or down the road in Chester. 

I had a bike in NYC, but stopped riding it after seeing a bike messenger killed in front of me. He was waiting at a light and a taxi rolled up behind him and gave him what looked like a gentle tap. He flew about fifteen feet and when he came down you could hear his neck crack. Anyway, my balance is not so good anymore. 

Amsterdam and Copenhagen are a bike-riders world now. There seem to be no rules for bikes here in Beatles Town. 

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ed, the public transport advice is just that- advice. It's not the law.

Quote "Residents in these areas are also advised to only travel for essential reasons, my emphasis.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-restrictions-confirmed-in-parts-of-the-north-east-and-north-west-in-response-to-rising-infection-rates

Anyway stock photography is your work, and you're not advised against travelling for work.

Edited by spacecadet

Thanks, guys.

I see things as Mark says: stock photography (although I don't make enough to live on the income) is still my work, and I do need the money I earn from it. I did not see the word "advised" in what I had read about this. So if the weather report starts to look encouraging, I may go. I'm a quasi-Roman myself, and I want to see my wall. 🙂

David, there are always personal complications with general rules. Sorry that simple grocery shopping has become more complex for you. You're just over the border from Chester. I'll wave to you from the wall. 

Edo

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Ed, the public transport advice is just that- advice. It's not the law.

Quote "Residents in these areas are also advised to only travel for essential reasons, my emphasis.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-restrictions-confirmed-in-parts-of-the-north-east-and-north-west-in-response-to-rising-infection-rates

Anyway stock photography is your work, and you're not advised against travelling for work.

But it is good advice in this case. I would say Edo would have to be absolutely mad to travel on public transport given his age and the medical conditions he has mentioned here in the past. 

The confusion here over what is advice and what is law is a reflection of what is happening out there and is a damning indictment on the government's continual mishandling of this crisis. Bojo was blaming the public for not following the guidance yesterday when he doesn't even know what the guidance is himself. It is far too convoluted and complicated for the general public and there have been so many u-turns and conflicting advice.