Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

On 20/09/2020 at 10:36, Cecile Marion said:

I’m sure glad improvements have advanced treatment since the time my father had his cataracts removed in the mid-1970s. Though he was younger than fifty, he had developed terrible cataracts from being a radarman in the US Navy during WWII. For the removal, he had to be hospitalized for a couple of days and kept immobile for the first 24 hours after the surgery. Afterwards, his vision was forever horrible, and he had to wear hard contact lenses that were constantly getting dislodged, along with different types of glasses, depending on what he was doing. It was all quite frustrating. These days, it seems such a comparatively simple procedure. Still, I plan to avoid surgery until mine start to become problematic. Hopefully, that’s a few years away. I’ve worn two different contacts for years: one in my non-dominent eye for reading and the other for distance. I rarely ever wear my glasses and my optometrist tells me having the same type of lenses implanted after cataract removal should work well for me. That would be nice since glasses drive me nuts.

John, would a second opinion from another doctor be an option?

That's quite a story about your father, Cecile. I certainly wouldn't want to go through an ordeal like that. However, as Betty suggests, the operation is a piece of cake nowadays, taking only 15 minutes according to my eye surgeon, so I'm not especially worried about it. I will ask him about implanting two different strength lenses, though. Thanks for the suggestion. My guess is that I could easily wait longer, but it sounds as if there are advantages to getting cataracts done earlier. I know someone who decided to have them done in her 50's, which is now verging on ancient history for me.

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I will ask him about implanting two different strength lenses, though

I had a cataract in one eye and had a distance lens put in that one.  My other eye works for closer up.  I haven't worn glasses in decades now.  One lens for close work and one lens for distance seems to work well for some.  The doctor asked me what I wanted.

3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I had a cataract in one eye and had a distance lens put in that one.  My other eye works for closer up.  I haven't worn glasses in decades now.  One lens for close work and one lens for distance seems to work well for some.  The doctor asked me what I wanted.

I'd end up having to wear a monocle if I did that. 🧐

Devastating thing for me. I brought in a monarch caterpillar when it was about twice as long as a grain of rice. I quickly bought a butterfly cage with extras. Fed the little guy milkweed which I planted this spring. Nurtured it, loved it...I know, I invested too much of myself.

It made a chrysalis about 10 days after bringing it in, attached to the top of the cage. Two more weeks waiting.

The butterfly emerged two days ago but didn’t thrive. Never could fly. Then died.

I spent yesterday crying off and on, then buried it this morning. I had this little creature for a month and spent much time watching it munch on milkweed I brought in. I’m so sad.
I’m sure you think I’m pretty lame to cry over a butterfly. That's just who I am.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Devastating thing for me. I brought in a monarch caterpillar when it was about twice as long as a grain of rice. I quickly bought a butterfly cage with extras. Fed the little guy milkweed which I planted this spring. Nurtured it, loved it...I know, I invested too much of myself.

It made a chrysalis about 10 days after bringing it in, attached to the top of the cage. Two more weeks waiting.

The butterfly emerged two days ago but didn’t thrive. Never could fly. Then died.

I spent yesterday crying off and on, then buried it this morning. I had this little creature for a month and spent much time watching it munch on milkweed I brought in. I’m so sad.
I’m sure you think I’m pretty lame to cry over a butterfly. That's just who I am.

Not lame it is natural.

For anyone who has an affinity with animals, insects and other living things who have spent some time caring for them usually have a feeling of sadness, and, yes a tear or two when they pass away.

Allan

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Not lame it is natural.

For anyone who has an affinity with animals, insects and other living things who have spent some time caring for them usually have a feeling of sadness, and, yes a tear or two when they pass away.

Allan

Thanks for your empathy, Allan.

• Like 1
On 18/09/2020 at 17:03, Allan Bell said:

I really ought to start my own blog for this.

Went into Lincoln this morning on the bus to look for a new street map of Lincoln as my existing map is way our of date and there have been a lot of major road works since. I also wanted a "Pathfinder map" for the area showing all the public rights of way, footpaths, and bridleways etc. Went to WHS and they did not have either. Then I tried Waterstones and they did not have them either but an attendant told me that they were waiting for Ordnance Survey to start producing the Lincoln street map again. He also told me that OS did not produce the "Pathfinder" maps any more either. WASTE OF TIME.

Back to bus station to catch the bus home again. Now I should have had my glasses (specs) on - but I didn't. Caught the bus that was at the stand where the number 3 waits. We set off and after a little while I noted the bus was going a different way. I ended up at Lincoln hospital. Had a word with the driver when he stopped at a stop in the hospital grounds pointing in the opposite direction to which I needed to go and told him I think I have caught the wrong bus. "Where do you want to go?" he said. "To Cherry Willingham" I replied. "You want the number 3 bus" he said. "I know that and thought I was on the number 3" I said. "This is the X6 for the hospital only" he said. "Stay on the bus and I'll try to get back to the bus station so you will be in time to catch the the next number 3" he said. As we approached the bus station the driver said "The number 3 is just leaving, sorry". "Thank you for trying" I said.

Went into the bus station and looked at the notices with my specs on this time and noted that both the numbers 3 and X6 were now sharing the same stand. So I went on a circular trip and WASTED 20 minutes on the X6 for nothing. The next bus for C W would not depart for another 20 mins and time was getting tight for my next appointment at the surgery.

Went into The Grand Coffee House, attached to the bus station, and had a coffee and tried to calm down. Well I could not do anything else and I wasn't paying for a taxi. Caught the next bus for C W which arrived at the stand a bit late. Horror of horrors the driver left the bus and walked off. Oh! MG they are changing drivers. After another 10 minute wait I was starting to hop from one foot to the other.

Finally the new driver arrived and we soon set off about 20 minutes late. The driver seemed he wanted to make up time and sped along when he could but still seemed as though he had to stop at every bus stop on the route.

When we arrived in C W I managed to get off at the stop before the one I wanted. ARRRRGH! Another extra 5 minute walk on top of the time it usually takes me to get to my bungalow from the correct stop.

After all that the only good thing to come out of it was I still managed to get to the surgery on time for my appointment.

Sorry I just had to get the above off my chest. Enjoy and have a laugh on me.

Allan

Allan, Only just caught up on the thread.

The OS don't make Pathfinder maps any more, but they have changed the name to Explorer and the maps are the same (1:25,000 or 2 and half inches to the mile)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Explorer-Map-Lincoln-Paper-Active/dp/0319244695

Hope this helps.

John.

44 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Allan, Only just caught up on the thread.

The OS don't make Pathfinder maps any more, but they have changed the name to Explorer and the maps are the same (1:25,000 or 2 and half inches to the mile)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Explorer-Map-Lincoln-Paper-Active/dp/0319244695

Hope this helps.

John.

Thank you John For the information. We did sort it, eventually.

Allan

Defective Modern Things

So it came to pass that my only remaining usable auto focus lense has become defective. (The previous failure was the standard Sony zoom as fitted to the Nex 6). This one, a Sigma 19mm f2.8, has developed a rattle and a percentage of images are very soft down one side, so maybe an element is loose? Whatever, today I set off to cycle through to the local trusty repairer in Newcastle.

Not so fast said my bike, as the gear cable promptly snapped. Now this bike was a present to myself on the occasion of my 65th birthday, and has done very few miles, but this is the second gear cable to snap. The system is a slick and convenient Shimano Tiagra, but reliability is certainly not its forte.  This contrasts with my 9 year old Brompton bike that is used every day and has never required a new cable, or looking back, my first tourer which did many thousands of miles and I don't recall ever fitting a new gear cable to that.

This reminds me of the occasion waiting on Durham station one Xmas to pick up our son, when it was announced that the power lines were down north of Newcastle and trains were badly delayed. Shortly after a 1930s steam loco came rumbling through, quite undeterred.

They just don't make kit like they used to, or maybe we have sacrificed reliability in the search for convenience?

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

They just don't make kit like they used to, or maybe we have sacrificed reliability in the search for convenience?

Sorry about your bad day with unreliable things Bryan.  I think we have swapped reliability with affordability.  I just had a locking clasp on a tripod leg snap off in my hand, obviously made with cheap plastic.  I called the manufacturer and they are sending a replacement part but now I have no faith in this specialty tripod. 

On 29/09/2020 at 12:17, Bryan said:

I think they design things nowadays to fail more easily after a period of time.

That way people keep buying stuff more often !

Apple and Samsung fined for deliberately slowing down their mobile phones' performance..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/24/apple-samsung-fined-for-slowing-down-phones

On 29/09/2020 at 06:17, Bryan said:

Defective Modern Things

So it came to pass that my only remaining usable auto focus lense has become defective. (The previous failure was the standard Sony zoom as fitted to the Nex 6). This one, a Sigma 19mm f2.8, has developed a rattle and a percentage of images are very soft down one side, so maybe an element is loose? Whatever, today I set off to cycle through to the local trusty repairer in Newcastle.

Not so fast said my bike, as the gear cable promptly snapped. Now this bike was a present to myself on the occasion of my 65th birthday, and has done very few miles, but this is the second gear cable to snap. The system is a slick and convenient Shimano Tiagra, but reliability is certainly not its forte.  This contrasts with my 9 year old Brompton bike that is used every day and has never required a new cable, or looking back, my first tourer which did many thousands of miles and I don't recall ever fitting a new gear cable to that.

This reminds me of the occasion waiting on Durham station one Xmas to pick up our son, when it was announced that the power lines were down north of Newcastle and trains were badly delayed. Shortly after a 1930s steam loco came rumbling through, quite undeterred.

Boy, do I ever get that. My mom & stepdad bought a refrigerator when I was 7 years old. She used it for 14 years, bought a bigger one, and gave the old to my husband & I during the time we were practically paupers. We used it for about 10 years more. Then we bought a new one for the frost-free feature, not because the old one quit working. It had never had to be repaired, but defrosting it wasn’t fun.

The modern ones might last 10 years if you’re lucky. I’ve had my present one about 4 years and it was repaired a year ago. I do realize that some of the modern appliances have many more features to break down.

A repairman for something I was getting repaired once verified that modern things are made to last about 8-10 years. Built-in obsolescence. 
I've had a cookstove, television, a couple of refrigerators, a vacuum, garbage disposal, furnaces, air conditioners, (on and on) go out on me. None of them were very old. Some almost new.
As far as photography things go, the only thing that failed on me was a tripod head and the venerated Nikon 24-70 lens that I paid Big Bucks for. It became stuck at one focal distance. Turned out to be a common flaw. A shame, it took cracking photos. It was out of warranty so I sold it to someone who took it apart and fixed it. My hair turned white just thinking about having the guts to do that.

Edited by Betty LaRue
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

As far as photography things go, the only thing that failed on me was a tripod head and the venerated Nikon 24-70 lens that I paid Big Bucks for. It became stuck at one focal distance. Turned out to be a common flaw. A shame, it took cracking photos. It was out of warranty so I sold it to someone who took it apart and fixed it. My hair turned white just thinking about having the guts to do that.

I had the equivalent gruesomely expensive Canon 24-70 f2.8 Betty, and it was never right from new. A couple of trips back to meet its maker brought about some improvement - including an alleged replacement of a lens cluster - but it was always soft down  one side. It was bought for work and at an early stage in my photo career, had I received it now it would have gone straight back and a refund or replacement demanded. You live and learn.

However I later bought a used Canon 24-105 f4 and that lens is (I still have it) a cracker.  On the downside it suffers from CA and there is a fair amount of distortion at the wide end, but it is SHARP, which, strangley enough, I feel is an essential prerequisite for any lens ( brings me back to bemoan some of this modern junk that I have tried).  Sadly I find it too heavy to carry around these days, but I can't bear to part with it.

Edited by Bryan

As bad luck as it can be. We've broken down right bang in the middle of the desert. Fuel in oil. It's about 800km from a decent size town. A truck is on its way to pick us up first thing tomorrow morning for the long drive back. Then it will be at least 8h cooped up next to the driver. ON MY BIRTHDAY!! I had planned to spend it in the red sand dunes... Hughie (my motorhome) how could you do that to me?? Boo hoooooo....

• Sad 4
2 hours ago, gvallee said:

As bad luck as it can be. We've broken down right bang in the middle of the desert. Fuel in oil. It's about 800km from a decent size town. A truck is on its way to pick us up first thing tomorrow morning for the long drive back. Then it will be at least 8h cooped up next to the driver. ON MY BIRTHDAY!! I had planned to spend it in the red sand dunes... Hughie (my motorhome) how could you do that to me?? Boo hoooooo....

Very sorry to hear this Gen.  You won’t forget this birthday but I do hope you have a fun and creative one, somehow!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Very sorry to hear this Gen.  You won’t forget this birthday but I do hope you have a fun and creative one, somehow!

Thank you Michael. Just had some bubbly. This is to forget about the bill to come...

Hope you daughter is OK?

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry to hear this Gen. Maybe somehow some interesting stock photos will come out of it, even if it is of your motor home being rescued (naughty Hughie). Happy Birthday for tomorrow and hope you can celebrate at some point, maybe a nice dinner in the town you are heading to. Take care.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Sally R said:

Sorry to hear this Gen. Maybe somehow some interesting stock photos will come out of it, even if it is of your motor home being rescued (naughty Hughie). Happy Birthday for tomorrow and hope you can celebrate at some point, maybe a nice dinner in the town you are heading to. Take care.

Very sweet of you Sally. We brought my birthday forward and had bubbly tonight in naughty Hughie. I hope the truck driver is a riot tomorrow, so many hours sitting next to him. Our situation could be much worse of course, Covid lockdown or having lost our home in a bushfire. I am looking for the silver lining and am already finding a few.

47 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Michael. Just had some bubbly. This is to forget about the bill to come...

Hope you daughter is OK?

Thanks for asking Gen.  She is well and is back to working her regular nursing job at the hospital.  She now mainly cares for people who are post cardiac events, procedures and surgeries.  The cases of Covid patients are way down in our area and my fingers crossed that it will stay that way!  

Happy Birthday!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks for asking Gen.  She is well and is back to working her regular nursing job at the hospital.  She now mainly cares for people who are post cardiac events, procedures and surgeries.  The cases of Covid patients are way down in our area and my fingers crossed that it will stay that way!  

Happy Birthday!

Excellent news. Thank you Michael.

Sorry to hear about your problems Gen. Hope it is all OK soon.

In a months time you will say what breakdown, I don't remember that.

Allan

• Like 1
On 29/09/2020 at 12:17, Bryan said:

this is the second gear cable to snap.

Pretty unusual, it it something to do with the routing? I can't imagine you letting it get rusty, if it's even had time. Nipples occasionally come off but usually after years.

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to hear about your problems Gen. Hope it is all OK soon.

In a months time you will say what breakdown, I don't remember that.

Allan

Thanks Allan, it's 800km back in the wrong direction. Anyway, it could be much much worse. 

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Oh dear, hopefully it can be sorted ASAP.