Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

22 hours ago, sb photos said:

I use an iPhone 6, battery has been replaced and currently does everything I want. Too old for the Covid-19 app. 

My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 in need of a new battery. Where did you get your replacement? Apple store?

Finally got some wine on the go.

Our friend has been growing Müller-Thurgau for years on the quiet. So last week we bagged the crop and we may have a couple of bottles in due course. It's now busy filling up a little balloon with CO2.

Did I take any pix for Alamy of the process? Did I flip.

There was also an ancient tin of beer concentrate in with the winemaking kit, and an immersion heater. So there may be two gallons of bitter on the way as well🍻

My helper was in hospital yesterday with abdominal pain with a white blood cell count that indicated appendicitis.   I was advised to contact people who were FSLN who might could get him into surgery more promptly, but the hospital discharged him.   He is having ultrasound at a private clinic today and was very concerned about keeping his jobs with my British friend and me.  We both plan to support him through this at his regular salary, but I do have a substitute dog walker.   If he has surgery,  recovery could take a while.   He also has a heart condition, a mitral valve problem.   He doesn't have insurance but Nicaragua does have public free hospitals, just that the waiting time these days can be long.    He's 30 years old, with a two year old daughter and a wife, and was gay until his family put him through reparative therapy.

His family gave him some land on their farm and he's been building a little house with roofing for siding, and goes shopping for us two old ladies, and has bought us both terracotta pots and plants. 

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

He's a lucky guy to be working for you two good people.

Turns out it was not either appendicitis or the gallbladder, but a problem with his colon and really a lot of gas.  I've been to the same ultrasound doctor myself and he's good.  So, much relief that it's not worse, but we two old ladies are now plotting on improving his diet.

Edited by MizBrown
clarifying.
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2020 at 10:27, Dave Richards said:

My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 in need of a new battery. Where did you get your replacement? Apple store?

You can get a new battery fitted at reasonable cost via most independent phone stores selling SH phones. The good ones will ask if you want an original or generic battery.

Allan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You can get a new battery fitted at reasonable cost via most independent phone stores selling SH phones. The good ones will ask if you want an original or generic battery.

Allan

You could try Amazon I needed batteries for my old Galaxy's, in store shopping around the local outlets, cheapest I could get was about 30-40 Euro. Amazon 12Euro delivered. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

You could try Amazon I needed batteries for my old Galaxy's, in store shopping around the local outlets, cheapest I could get was about 30-40 Euro. Amazon 12Euro delivered. Just a thought.

I believe battery replacement on the Galaxy's is just a matter of taking the back off, swapping batteries, and putting the back on again.

The iPhones usually need the glass front removing carefully remove the battery which may require the use of a soldering iron then fitting the new battery and re- fixing the glass front with a special shaped adhesive gasket.

I could be wrong but that was my experience with other phones.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

17 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Thanks Alan.

My phone contract provider claimed it wasn't possible to get batteries replaced. Just a scam I guess to get me to upgrade and renew my contract. Think I'll be dumping them any time soon.

Have enquired and found that Apple shops can fit a replacement too. A bit pricy though at £50 each so I'll shop around the independents.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Oh bad luck. All over the ROW as well. Rain presumably?

Yes, probably after all the rain we had at the weekend after the dry summer. A disadvantage to living in an old house with a dry stone wall!

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

A bit soon to go at 65 years only.

The lifestyle of a globally successful touring musician is not always linked to a long life. A fun one, but not always long. In the words of the much-missed Christopher Hitchens - if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken more care of myself.

Edited by Colin Woods

MOT and service today after taking over my wife's previously trouble free car. Got hit for a larger bill than expected, additionally 2 front tyres and replacement of a leaking water pump. My daughter in Bristol also had a service and MOT today. She knew the car had issues, but was surprised with a potential £800 bill. To add to this, parts required will take a week to arrive and fit. My car was dropped off at 8:00 this morning and was picked up around 1:30 this afternoon. My old Holdsworthy touring bike is far more economical for me to maintain.

4 hours ago, David McGill said:

I'm afraid so!

Will your house insurance cover it? 

PS. If so make sure there is no mention of subsidence as the cause.

Edited by Thyrsis

Took a short trip into the Forest of Dean to see if the Autumn colours had arrived, not quite there yet, but close. Caught a stone chip on the windscreen on the way back, quite distracting watching the crack get bigger and bigger! 

Paperwork from the insurance company has arrived.

Job Billing Corporate Name Corporate Type Net Amount VAT Amount Total Amount GENERIC MOTORIST GENERIC MOTORIST £75.0 £0.0 £75.0

Formating did not survice cut and paste, but apparently I am a GENERIC MOTORIST.

Sigh...

Edited by Mr Standfast
events...