Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

16 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Decided I had to cancel a photo shoot of a Nicaraguan birthday party because the group would have 18 people in it, and while I have a couple of N-95 masks, the whole party would require moving light gear from my house to there, and dealing with a lot of people who don't wear masks.   I suggested another local photographer who has done passport photos and printing for me and has the same lighting gear.   It was my ex-landlord and I've wanted to get photos of him and his immediate family, but didn't this event was really worth the contact risk or having gear on light stands around children.  

News from the US underlined the need to be prudent. 

Sounds like you made the right decision -- "prudent" is a good old-fashioned word. Enough said. 🤐

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sounds like you made the right decision -- "prudent" is a good old-fashioned word. Enough said. 🤐

Got a call from the guy who wanted the photo.   He went with the local guy and was very pleased.  The local guy has the same lighting gear I have and shoots Canon, and is a professional.   I'm sure his business needs clients in these times.   I do have a pension. 

• Upvote 1

Tried to download the new NHS Covid19 app. No luck!  The operating system on my 4 year old iphone is too old.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Tried to download the new NHS Covid19 app. No luck!  The operating system on my 4 year old iphone is too old.

As  newcomers to the world of smart phones we share a phone between the two of us and it is most often found left in the house (as our house phone), so of debatable usefulness for virus tracking.

I do wish that they would copy the successful practice used elsewhere of local teams knocking on peoples' doors, rather than relying overmuch on technology. I suspect a (masked) face to face meeting would be much more likely to engender compliance than an anonymous message on a phone.

Edited by Bryan
4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I have a newer phone and out of interest as well as duty I downloaded the app. You have to have bluetooth turned on all the time so I tried it out for a day with BTooth on all day.

Now during a normal day without BTooth on my phone uses about 10 - 20% of battery life. With BTooth all day it used nearly 50% of battery life. So if you are not going out leave BTooth off and only switch it on when going out. Or get/take a backup battery with you.

Allan

4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I use an iPhone 6, battery has been replaced and currently does everything I want. Too old for the Covid-19 app. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

"Poco loco" does sound better, Michael. In Spanish, the phrase sounds more friendly. 🤪

I think my use of the word mad reflects my Dublin origins. There it means poco loco, a bit wild, as a mheabhair, or it did when I was growing up - a compliment of sorts, reflecting perhaps an acceptance or even admiration for the risk taker. 😎

3 hours ago, MDM said:

I think my use of the word mad reflects my Dublin origins. There it means poco loco, a bit wild, as a mheabhair, or it did when I was growing up - a compliment of sorts, reflecting perhaps an acceptance or even admiration for the risk taker. 😎

In the States, where Spanish is the second language, loco means crazy. But it's a friendly way of commenting on a person's eccentric ways. If someone were angry at someone else, they would use stronger language with heavy use of the F word as a noun, verb, adjective, and adverb. 

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

I do wish that they would copy the successful practice used elsewhere of local teams knocking on peoples' doors, rather than relying overmuch on technology. I suspect a (masked) face to face meeting would be much more likely to engender compliance than an anonymous message on a phone.

Lots of unemployed people especially in countries which relied significantly on tourism, and there are people who can be trained to take temps and ask questions from a checklist.  Keeps people employed through these times.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere (did I?) I trimmed my snowball bush the other day. I’ve had pretty bad arthritis in my hands (well, everywhere else too) since my 20s.

My daughter gifted me with a pair of ratchet nippers a couple of years ago that’s much easier on the joints when trimming branches.

I spent 2-3 hours cutting that 13 foot bush down to about 4-5 feet.  First mostly with electric hedge trimmers except for too-thick branches. It was what I did with the cut branches that took so long. I trimmed every side branch off, then cut every piece to 12-15 inch lengths so they would fit in the bin. 
My son-in-law dropped by the next day to pick up something. I bragged about the job I’d done. He asked how my hands were. I proudly opened and closed them into fists and said they didn’t hurt a bit, weren’t sore.

About an hour after that remark, the pain hit. I could barely hold my toothbrush or anything else for the next two days.

What I get for bragging.

I trimmed another shrub today. I know what’s coming. I have two more to go. I’ll use the hedge trimmers on the next two. They aren’t so tall that I can’t cut them down 12 inch lengths at a time, then they’ll fit nicely.
So the bad news is the pain. But I’m still proud of the job I did! 😊

• Like 1

This particular bit of unfortunate news didn't occur today but it was fairly recent. I was photographing a whale from an elevated position with an old 600mm mirror lens. When I had finished, a woman approached me and told me that she was starting up a magazine. She wanted to buy my whale photos for her magazine without even seeing them.

Some time later, I e-mailed some low resolution watermarked versions of the images so that she could select which ones she wants to publish. She e-mails back and says that she doesn't want any of them. She says that she was hoping for 'clearer' photos of the whale and I don't have a clue what she means by that. The images that I sent her are in focus and the whale is very large within the frame (magnified by the 600mm.) There are no obstructions blocking the view and no distractions. There is no fog, haze or mist. I don't know how I'm supposed to take 'clearer' photos of the subject. I do have one more whale image that I'm going to send her so I may have a very slim chance there.

Edited by Patrick Cooper
22 hours ago, sb photos said:

I use an iPhone 6, battery has been replaced and currently does everything I want. Too old for the Covid-19 app. 

My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 in need of a new battery. Where did you get your replacement? Apple store?

Finally got some wine on the go.

Our friend has been growing Müller-Thurgau for years on the quiet. So last week we bagged the crop and we may have a couple of bottles in due course. It's now busy filling up a little balloon with CO2.

Did I take any pix for Alamy of the process? Did I flip.

There was also an ancient tin of beer concentrate in with the winemaking kit, and an immersion heater. So there may be two gallons of bitter on the way as well🍻

My helper was in hospital yesterday with abdominal pain with a white blood cell count that indicated appendicitis.   I was advised to contact people who were FSLN who might could get him into surgery more promptly, but the hospital discharged him.   He is having ultrasound at a private clinic today and was very concerned about keeping his jobs with my British friend and me.  We both plan to support him through this at his regular salary, but I do have a substitute dog walker.   If he has surgery,  recovery could take a while.   He also has a heart condition, a mitral valve problem.   He doesn't have insurance but Nicaragua does have public free hospitals, just that the waiting time these days can be long.    He's 30 years old, with a two year old daughter and a wife, and was gay until his family put him through reparative therapy.

His family gave him some land on their farm and he's been building a little house with roofing for siding, and goes shopping for us two old ladies, and has bought us both terracotta pots and plants. 

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

He's a lucky guy to be working for you two good people.

Turns out it was not either appendicitis or the gallbladder, but a problem with his colon and really a lot of gas.  I've been to the same ultrasound doctor myself and he's good.  So, much relief that it's not worse, but we two old ladies are now plotting on improving his diet.

Edited by MizBrown
clarifying.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah, gas! A bit further up, gas can feel like a heart attack. Let's hope his colon problem is minor. He's not out of the woods yet. 

On 05/10/2020 at 10:27, Dave Richards said:

My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 in need of a new battery. Where did you get your replacement? Apple store?

You can get a new battery fitted at reasonable cost via most independent phone stores selling SH phones. The good ones will ask if you want an original or generic battery.

Allan

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You can get a new battery fitted at reasonable cost via most independent phone stores selling SH phones. The good ones will ask if you want an original or generic battery.

Allan

You could try Amazon I needed batteries for my old Galaxy's, in store shopping around the local outlets, cheapest I could get was about 30-40 Euro. Amazon 12Euro delivered. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

You could try Amazon I needed batteries for my old Galaxy's, in store shopping around the local outlets, cheapest I could get was about 30-40 Euro. Amazon 12Euro delivered. Just a thought.

I believe battery replacement on the Galaxy's is just a matter of taking the back off, swapping batteries, and putting the back on again.

The iPhones usually need the glass front removing carefully remove the battery which may require the use of a soldering iron then fitting the new battery and re- fixing the glass front with a special shaped adhesive gasket.

I could be wrong but that was my experience with other phones.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell