Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I thought the primary Covid symptoms were pretty well known by now.

Apparently in Spain they have found four variants of the covid 19 strain from what I saw on BBC news. Perhaps the symptoms may be changing.

Allan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Apparently in Spain they have found four variants of the covid 19 strain from what I saw on BBC news. Perhaps the symptoms may be changing.

Allan

Silent but deadly!

Collect them all!

wim

Edited by wiskerke

All mild colds are not Covid, and all Covid infections don’t exhibit as mild colds. From what I gather, you can have Covid without exhibiting a single symptom, or you can have one symptom among many, and it can vary from mild to severe. With the severe cases usually exhibiting several symptoms.

People have always caught colds. They don’t go away just because Covid is rampaging. Same with flu, intestinal infections, and other things, and those symptoms can mimic some of the symptoms of Covid.
Nobody can be blamed for not recognizing a mild symptom. I might not, either.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

All mild colds are not Covid, and all Covid infections don’t exhibit as mild colds. From what I gather, you can have Covid without exhibiting a single symptom, or you can have one symptom among many, and it can vary from mild to severe. With the severe cases usually exhibiting several symptoms.

People have always caught colds. They don’t go away just because Covid is rampaging. Same with flu, intestinal infections, and other things, and those symptoms can mimic some of the symptoms of Covid.
Nobody can be blamed for not recognizing a mild symptom. I might not, either.

Indeed - a very common sense post. There will most likely be various coronaviruses which share the same symptoms as covid19 (or rather sars-cov-2) as well. A few years back I had a horrible cold that came with a persistent cough, very dry and repetitive and at the worst of it I could hardly sleep through it and had trouble breathing I was coughing so much. No way to tell definitely but I suspect that was a coronavirus induced cold rather than a rhinovirus induced one. This kind of thing is around us ALL of the time though, covid19 is nothing new.

Instead of the special anniversary (of our meeting 51 years ago today) meal I had planned, we have just got home from visiting poorly mother in law in hospital and had baked beans on toast for dinner. 

1 hour ago, Cal said:

This kind of thing is around us ALL of the time though, covid19 is nothing new.

I used to think it was called novel coronavirus because it was new but I guess I was wrong. Perhaps it likes a good novel, maybe a nice fictional conspiracy theory to help it spread. Nothing like human gullibility for super spreading. 

I wonder why it is called Covid-19 though? Genetic evidence you say. Oh not more science. Who needs science at a time like this? I hear we are rounding the corner myself. 

• Like 1

CO stands for corona, VI stands for virus, D stands for disease, and 19 is the year. It was first called 2019 novel coronavirus. Where are you getting your information, Dr. Cal?

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MDM said:

I wonder why it is called Covid-19 though? 

Coronavirus disease 2019 is as far as I know what it stands for. The actual virus is sars-cov-2, it's basically a variant of sars. It's a coronavirus which is novel in its strain but it is still a coronavirus, and some people have demonstrated clearly that they already have T-cell immunity even if they haven't specifically had sars-cov-2.

38 minutes ago, gvallee said:

stupid

I like how you clip just that part of my comment to give it more shock value (that seems to be a thing that people do here - so hey - I'll do the same back) instead of taking the wider context. It's a coronavirus. Novel in its strain sure, but with how virulent it is, if it was truly new people would be dropping like flies. It would be something on a similar level to a plague. Possibly even extinction level. Thankfully, it isn't. It's just another coronavirus that some are already totally immune to, but a particularly virulent strain.

I don't mind the downvotes and the funny faces and whatnot on my comments; I know I am not in like minded company here with this stuff but thankfully being right isn't a popularity contest.

Edited by Cal
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, Cal said:

I like how you clip just that part of my comment to give it more shock value (that seems to be a thing that people do here - so hey - I'll do the same back) instead of taking the wider context. It's a coronavirus. Novel in its strain sure, but with how virulent it is, if it was truly new people would be dropping like flies. It would be something on a similar level to a plague. Possibly even extinction level. Thankfully, it isn't. It's just another coronavirus that some are already totally immune to, but a particularly virulent strain.

I don't mind the downvotes and the funny faces and whatnot on my comments; I know I am not in like minded company here with this stuff but thankfully being right isn't a popularity contest.

Humans have had flu viruses since we started raising pigs and chickens.  Some of them have been more virulent than others.  Plague is still endemic; we've still got dengue here which showed up outside Asia after WWII, and a couple of newer mosquito vectored diseases that can leave lasting effects on joints and eyes, and one that may cause birth defects (maybe).   Where the disease kills you is not its newness but its virulence.  The 1918-1920 influenza wasn't the first influenza -- the grippe predates it. 

Dengue is weird in that contracting the first of four strains is like having the flu, and the patient will have a permanent resistance to that strain, but will be sicker if he contracts a different strain, and the worst outcome is hemorrhagic fever, which used to have a high mortality rate, but which now is less lethal if people are given proper supportive care in hospital.  And people do die of it here.   So, "If this was new, it would be more lethal" isn't so with dengue, and isn't necessarily so with this one.

The other thing is that a disease can be more infectious and less lethal.  Or not particularly easy to catch but very nasty (Hanta Virus, which killed a Australian backpacker in the US, but which seems to be fairly common in mice, just not contagious to humans who don't breath in powdered mouse shit .  Ebola is another one, only passed through blood or human waste.  MERS is third one -- highly lethal, but apparently not highly contagious and spread through camels.  And the original SARS burned out. 

About half of Central America is doing better than the US or UK, mostly because people here live in a world of dengue, chichungunga (spelling), mountain leprosy (skin disease, also insect vectored, just not by mosquito), Chagus Disease (kissing bug vectored), and know when to take precautions.   The countries that aren't doing that well are Panama (canal and commerce) and Costa Rica (tourism).  Even Costa Rica that has rather close to as many cases per million don't have close to the same deaths per million as the US.   (Stats from this site:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Some reasons for a higher survival rate are free at point of service public health, supplies from China and Russia in some cases, Cuba medical teams that first worked in Italy.

Edited by MizBrown
which virus
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Cal said:

Surely you know by now Cal you are not allowed to have a different opinion to the herd. If you do you will be insulted and harangued on here. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Cal,

Have a look at this.  It's the sort of information that most contributors on this forum have used to form their opinions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54648684

Stay safe.

(quote from above)

It's new, so our bodies are unprepared

14 hours ago, Cal said:

This kind of thing is around us ALL of the time though, covid19 is nothing new.

10 hours ago, Cal said:

being right isn't a popularity contest.

🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobD said:

Surely you know by now Cal you are not allowed to have a different opinion to the herd. If you do you will be insulted and harangued on here. 

Covid-19 is a new disease - scientific fact based on very detailed genetic studies. This is not a matter of opinion. It is scientific fact. The willingness of people to believe in conspiracy theories and alternative facts is very worrying to those of us who seek truth. To say Covid—19 is anything but a very serious disease which humanity still has no weapons to combat is indeed stupid at best and dangerous at worst. 

Numerous unfortunate, ignorant people have died believing Covid-19 to be a hoax or not very serious. And it is not just about death. Long covid is a very real and debilitating illness which affects fit young people as well as those more advance in years. 

People are of course entitled to express any opinion they want but those who have knowledge based on evidence are entitled to argue back using evidence, much good it seems to do. Needless to say this is not Cal’s first time expressing opinions that have no foundation in reality. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

Getting away from the serious business of Covid, I decided to replace some worn  transmission components on my wife's bike. 

The hard part is normally detaching the cassette from the rear wheel, but using a chain whip, it came apart easily enough. The easy bit is removing the crank arm, but could I find my crank extractor? I used it a couple of weeks ago, but despite searching through all of my tool boxes it was nowhere to be seen. I'm pretty diligent at replacing tools in the right places so this is annoying. 

Bike in bits and unable to complete the job.

Ok a trip to the local Halfords to buy another - but no, none in stock. 

Got in the car to drive home and noticed that the fuel tank was registering empty, despite it being full to the top yesterday, and indeed when I set out today. Probably a fault with the float or connection or electronics...... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Got in the car to drive home and noticed that the fuel tank was registering empty, despite it being full to the top yesterday, and indeed when I set out today. Probably a fault with the float or connection or electronics...... 

I had that problem a few years ago but it was intermittent.  Turned out to be just a faulty 'earth' connection on the fuel sensor - cured by simply connecting a wire from the fuel tank to the vehicle chassis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I had that problem a few years ago but it was intermittent.  Turned out to be just a faulty 'earth' connection on the fuel sensor - cured by simply connecting a wire from the fuel tank to the vehicle chassis.

Thanks Vincent, worth investigation !

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

That sounds like a useful tool for many situations in life! 😄

Paulette

🙂 If only!

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, Bryan—once again technology has turned against us. I've owned cars and bikes, but never a tool kit to repair them. You sound like a lad who could repair most anything. Bouna fortuna a te.

Thanks Edo, I was brought up to fix stuff, my grandfather being the driving force. My wife says that we make a good team, she handles the humans and me the hardware 😉

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Edo, I was brought up to fix stuff, my grandfather being the driving force. My wife says that we make a good team, she handles the humans and me the hardware 😉

My brother was the Mister Fixit in my family. He was a flight mechanic in the Air Force and after his discharge he worked the same job for 4 years as a civilian. Me? I changed a tire once. 

• Love 1