Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

No, bad thing. Woke at my usual time which this morning was 5.30am so had to wait till 6.30 to get out of bed. Total waste of time.☺️

Allan

We wait to change our clocks back until after we have got up, at our usual time. Worked in our favour today as we had a 2 hour drive to meet up with our son and his family so we had an ‘extra’ hour to get out of the house! 

4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

My grandfather,  from many generations in the rural parts of Virginia, used to call "turtles" "turkles."   Found out through some Googling that was also used in Lancaster, UK.   Don't know if it shows up in other dialects of UK English.

Not many turtles or turkles in these parts. Presume they were hunted to extinction or maybe we never had any. Suspect that the summers aren't hot enough. 

Just looked it up - "Non-native species. Thought to have been found in the UK around 8000 years ago but subsequently became extinct due to climatic cooling. Individuals found in the wild in the UK are probably escapees from the pet trade."

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not many turtles or turkles in these parts. Presume they were hunted to extinction or maybe we never had any. Suspect that the summers aren't hot enough. 

Just looked it up - "Non-native species. Thought to have been found in the UK around 8000 years ago but subsequently became extinct due to climatic cooling. Individuals found in the wild in the UK are probably escapees from the pet trade."

Apparently, the UK has sea turtles as foragers and vagrants.  

Also, "Turkles" is the title of a movie about kids working to save Loggerhead Turtles.

Still not sure where the word came from, but that suggests maybe from sea turtles.   So, kinda like English Robins, American Robins (really a thrush), and Australian robins.  The Australians have used the word for the widest range of birds.  Central America has the Clay Colored Robin, but most people now admit it's a thrush.

14 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Found bones in my fish dinner this evening. 😡

Ugh! I HATE that.  Puts me off eating any more.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Ugh! I HATE that.  Puts me off eating any more.

Allan

I'm only going to buy from a fishmonger going forward.  I dumped the rest of the fish on my GF's plate 🤣

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

May have to start eating jellyfish...no bones about em!

I like jelly but fish jelly 😬

Allan

It rained most of today, which motivated me to wash the caravan before it goes into storage for the winter. The rain helped in the rinsing process, and it did get me out of the house.  I got drooked of course, but it's just water. 

I’m very annoyed. I have adult children and grandchildren on the other side of the country who I haven’t seen in 18 months due to the pandemic. An April/May 2020 trip had to be cancelled and now, as things stand, I will also not be seeing them for the holidays. To cheer myself up, I’d booked a little December trip to a condo in a rural coastal area where I’ve stayed several times before. It’s about a 90 minute drive from my home, is very peaceful, and there are always interesting wildlife photo opportunities. My end of the online booking seemed to go through just fine and I received an automated email confirmation. Now, after my call, they are telling me the booking didn’t actually go through and the place has been rented to someone else. I’m very disappointed and will have to rethink my December plans. What I’d really like to do is get on a plane and fly out west, but common sense tells me that’s the wrong thing to do.

• Sad 2

Not sure whether this is a bad thing or if it’s good that I’ve not noticed. I’ve been selected to take part in the ICL COVID-19 antibody test. The kit came in the post this week so I took it tonight and after 10mins when the result was visible it was positive for the IgM antibody which if it’s right (which is by no means certain) indicates that I’ve had COVID and relatively recently. I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it, the only real plus is in my line of work I don’t particularly come in to close contact with anyone and my wife’s working from home so at least we’re hopefully unlikely to have shared it with anyone :( 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Not sure whether this is a bad thing or if it’s good that I’ve not noticed. I’ve been selected to take part in the ICL COVID-19 antibody test. The kit came in the post this week so I took it tonight and after 10mins when the result was visible it was positive for the IgM antibody which if it’s right (which is by no means certain) indicates that I’ve had COVID and relatively recently. I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it, the only real plus is in my line of work I don’t particularly come in to close contact with anyone and my wife’s working from home so at least we’re hopefully unlikely to have shared it with anyone :( 

You probably got a low dose of the virus, possibly from walking through where someone had just been, or handling something. Although I’m now hearing, for whatever it’s worth, that chances of picking it up off objects are lower than first thought.

The one thing that is certain, is nothing is certain. It’s like trying to stand on shifting sands.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bionic said:

I had what I thought was a mild cold about a month ago and have developed an occasional  lingering but nagging cough since and never thought anything of it,

I thought the primary Covid symptoms were pretty well known by now.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Haha 1

Nicaragua is waiting for a hurricane a couple of days out.   We expats who subscribe to the US Embassy's consular emails have been warned to stock up on food and stuff.  What this means is that if the hurricane gets stuck crossing the mountains, we could get lot and lots of rain, and we've had lot of rain already.  At this point, it's still sunny and the storm is in the Caribbean. 

November is generally the start of the dry season. 

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I thought the primary Covid symptoms were pretty well known by now.

Apparently in Spain they have found four variants of the covid 19 strain from what I saw on BBC news. Perhaps the symptoms may be changing.

Allan

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Apparently in Spain they have found four variants of the covid 19 strain from what I saw on BBC news. Perhaps the symptoms may be changing.

Allan

Silent but deadly!

Collect them all!

wim

Edited by wiskerke

All mild colds are not Covid, and all Covid infections don’t exhibit as mild colds. From what I gather, you can have Covid without exhibiting a single symptom, or you can have one symptom among many, and it can vary from mild to severe. With the severe cases usually exhibiting several symptoms.

People have always caught colds. They don’t go away just because Covid is rampaging. Same with flu, intestinal infections, and other things, and those symptoms can mimic some of the symptoms of Covid.
Nobody can be blamed for not recognizing a mild symptom. I might not, either.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

All mild colds are not Covid, and all Covid infections don’t exhibit as mild colds. From what I gather, you can have Covid without exhibiting a single symptom, or you can have one symptom among many, and it can vary from mild to severe. With the severe cases usually exhibiting several symptoms.

People have always caught colds. They don’t go away just because Covid is rampaging. Same with flu, intestinal infections, and other things, and those symptoms can mimic some of the symptoms of Covid.
Nobody can be blamed for not recognizing a mild symptom. I might not, either.

Indeed - a very common sense post. There will most likely be various coronaviruses which share the same symptoms as covid19 (or rather sars-cov-2) as well. A few years back I had a horrible cold that came with a persistent cough, very dry and repetitive and at the worst of it I could hardly sleep through it and had trouble breathing I was coughing so much. No way to tell definitely but I suspect that was a coronavirus induced cold rather than a rhinovirus induced one. This kind of thing is around us ALL of the time though, covid19 is nothing new.

• Confused 3

Instead of the special anniversary (of our meeting 51 years ago today) meal I had planned, we have just got home from visiting poorly mother in law in hospital and had baked beans on toast for dinner. 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Cal said:

This kind of thing is around us ALL of the time though, covid19 is nothing new.

I used to think it was called novel coronavirus because it was new but I guess I was wrong. Perhaps it likes a good novel, maybe a nice fictional conspiracy theory to help it spread. Nothing like human gullibility for super spreading. 

I wonder why it is called Covid-19 though? Genetic evidence you say. Oh not more science. Who needs science at a time like this? I hear we are rounding the corner myself. 

• Upvote 1