Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

hey, let's slow down a bit. my fall was just yesterday and I hope to get examined tomorrow. 

Take a pair of pliers with you. While brandishing them in a low position, ask the doctor, “We’re not going to hurt each other, are we?”

Edited by Betty LaRue

I was 5 hours at Royal the Liverpool University Hospital today. X-rays show a break at the top of the humerus bone in my left arm. Most of the arm has turned purple, nicer than my pasty white.

They did a second set of x-rays because there was as disagreement as to if there was a separation of the humerus from the rotator cuff. The dude in charge decided there was not. I think there is, but I’m going with the decision made. So far.

I’m in a sling and the plan is to let the body heal itself. They gave me some pain pills. I’ll be phoned for another exam this week. (Is God angry with me?)

The NHS gets a 5-star rating from me. So far.

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was 5 hours at Royal the Liverpool University Hospital today. X-rays show a break at the top of the humerus bone in my left arm. Most of the arm has turned purple, nicer than my pasty white.

They did a second set of x-rays because there was as disagreement as to if there was a separation of the humerus from the rotator cuff. The dude in charge decided there was not. I think there is, but I’m going with the decision made. So far.

I’m in a sling and the plan is to let the body heal itself. They gave me some pain pills. I’ll be phoned for another exam this week. (Is God angry with me?)

thanks for the update.  stay safe. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Well done for being seen to. At least now you know. I once broke the head of humerus, so I know how painful it is.

Take it easy and heal soon Edo.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Our NHS workers  are amazing. The whole system is underfunded and overworked and chaotic but those dedicated doctors and nurses just keep on working. I have nothing but admiration for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

How did that work out, Michael? I mean how long did it take to get back to normal?

Well mine required surgery, to put in plates and screws, and a cast from the elbow to the wrist.  I was in temporary cast for about a week and then a long-term cast for six weeks.  Once the cast was off, my arm was really tight with low mobility but that got better and better and now I am pretty much at 100%!

This link will take you to my x-ray on my Instagram, not sure you can see it if you don't have an Instagram account.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu1HppzhVnA/

If yours is a fracture, I think you just use a sling and minimize your arm movement for a while.  It may take 4-6 weeks for your bone to "repair" the crack.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

How did that work out, Michael? I mean how long did it take to get back to normal?

when i had a fracture on the head of my radius it was 6 weeks to recover, in a sling like you.  I remember also i had to start movement exercises in that period as there was fear of loss mobility if no action for that long.  I actually remember as the intern wanted to put a cast, but the other doctor in the room, said no because of that. 

Years later the arm works fine so i guess that was all good.

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It was about 6 weeks for me as well. They put me in plaster. Upon removal, I couldn't use my arm for quite a while. It just wasn't responding. So you're probably better off in a sling.

Edo, hoping the break mends quickly, until then you'll have to shoot stock single handed. Go careful in the future, the older you get the more brittle your bones become. I fractured my pelvis, cracked ribs, broke my collar bone and collapsed my lungs amongst other things due to an RTA in 1974. I wouldn't want something like that to happen to me now. I still remember reaching for the rear view mirror to tilt it to see where blood was coming from. Even now I remember the collar bone pain and squelching noise, ugh. Get well soon.

Edited by sb photos

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I broke my right wrist in high school. Didn't require surgery like Michael, but had a half-cast for about a week to let the swelling go down, then a full forearm cast to the knuckles with a thumb loop for several weeks. Had to keep writing which was difficult, and probably didn't help with the speed of recovery. I did lose a little mobility in the joint, but nothing really significant. Hope it turns out okay for you.

Today I started something I've been putting off for a long time. Dusting, sorting and packing into 6 big boxes the contents of 6 shelves from a large bookcase that I have to move before decorating. Also checking which books to keep and those to prepare for the Oxfam shop once it opens again. It took far too long. Next will be steaming off the wallpaper and preparing the walls for painting.  

• Alamy locked this topic