Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Well I spent last night and this morning in a French hospital, with a virus. Thankfully not the covid 19, but probably the norovirus gastroenteritis that I have.

I was trying to sleep in the cabin of an articulated truck (semi truck) that I've been driving lately. I'd been a bit unwell over the last couple of days but thought nothing of it, until last night.

I was not in a good way, including struggling to breathe and shaking uncontrollably, along with terrible stomach pains and other unpleasant symptoms.

Some other fellow truckers alerted the emergency services at 2am, who took me away in an ambulance.

It was all quite scary, in my lorry cab, far away from home (near the French/Swiss border), away from family, unable to speak much French, not knowing how ill I was or what was happening.

Already recovering, but feel totally drained of energy. The company I'm contracting to have been very good, put me in a nice hotel for 3 nights to recuperate, and then they are flying another driver out to meet me to help drive back to the UK. 

Funny thing is as I was in the ambulance, I was thinking if I had my camera with me, I could take some stock photos for Alamy !

Looking forward to getting home after three weeks away.

Phil

PS.... and a BIG thumbs up to the lady who runs Les routier (French roadside restaurant) where my truck is. Very helpful.

Nothing worse than being very ill with nobody around to see to you. I’m glad your fellow truckers answered the bell for you. Even as an adult, when I got that way, I wanted my mother. Just to have her face hovering over me gave me a feeling that everything would be okay.
Get better, Phil, and if the problem flares again, get a work up with your doctor.

Betty

5 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Thanks all.

Not 100% but getting there (had more stomach pains).

Do the pains come on after eating or drinking?  If so that could point to food poisoning. Unfortunately if it was FP the symptoms generally last some time before clearing.

Not from personal experience but happened to a lady I used to know when she went on a foreign trip.

Allan

I used to have stomach ulcers. But they didn’t give me the “extra” symptoms Phil had. Just severe stomach pains upon eating, and a strong gnawing feeling between meals that felt like hunger, but wasn’t. Devoid of the gastrointestinal stuff.

18 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Yeah, no place like home in a medical crisis.

Yes, home is often the best place to be. Always good to get home, but then get itchy feet, and so want to travel again, whether for work or for leisure.

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Do the pains come on after eating or drinking?  If so that could point to food poisoning. Unfortunately if it was FP the symptoms generally last some time before clearing.

Not from personal experience but happened to a lady I used to know when she went on a foreign trip.

Allan

I don't know if it was food poisoning or from contagion. 

I didn't eat at all yesterday, but still woke up with a bit of stomach pain during the night. Been alright since.

Going to have a meal tonight in the hotel. I've no idea what it shall be, there will be a knock on the door and hey presto !  a meal on the tray for me.

They said it will come with a beer if I like. So I said just a petit one for now.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I used to have stomach ulcers. But they didn’t give me the “extra” symptoms Phil had. Just severe stomach pains upon eating, and a strong gnawing feeling between meals that felt like hunger, but wasn’t. Devoid of the gastrointestinal stuff.

Gastroenteritis can lead to a shortness of breath. I think it was this that made me go into some sort of shock which was making me shake.

The doctor and medics asked me a number of times did I smoke (never have).

And they also asked me twice when was I last in hospital. 1988 I replied...to have the toenail root of my big toe removed !

Actually, as you suspect, the symptoms you reported could be from a virus. Or food poisoning, which I had once and caused me to cry “uncle!” and go to the emergency room. Bad Mexican food. I never moaned and carried on while giving birth, but I moaned with food poisoning. Be careful what you eat. The BRAT diet is recommended only for next day recovery.

bananas

rice

applesauce

toast (dry)

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

On 04/11/2020 at 20:32, AlbertSnapper said:

Instances like this shows the kindness of strangers.

Indeed, I hope that you make a speedy recovery and get home safely, but great to hear that people have been supportive. 

When we were younger and fitter my wife and I toured around Europe on our bicycles, and we encountered many occasions where strangers offered help. The number of positive experiences far outweighed the very occasional negative. I guess this made us feel at home on the continent, and later deeply unhappy about the Brexit decision. 

On 05/11/2020 at 17:11, AlbertSnapper said:

Gastroenteritis can lead to a shortness of breath. I think it was this that made me go into some sort of shock which was making me shake.

The doctor and medics asked me a number of times did I smoke (never have).

And they also asked me twice when was I last in hospital. 1988 I replied...to have the toenail root of my big toe removed !

Well at least you'll have a fortnight with your feet up when you get home. Even if you don't want one.

Maybe brush up your French;)

Best wishes.

Edited by spacecadet

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed, I hope that you make a speedy recovery and get home safely, but great to hear that people have been supportive. 

When we were younger and fitter my wife and I toured around Europe on our bicycles, and we encountered many occasions where strangers offered help. The number of positive experiences far outweighed the very occasional negative. I guess this made us feel at home on the continent, and later deeply unhappy about the Brexit decision. 

Thank you Bryan. 

The company I'm contracting to said try and get some expensive wine for the lady who ran the routier and who looked after the truck, and collected my medication for me. 

So the hotel I spent a few days in helped me sort that out.

As a young lad in my early twenties, I took a flight to Argentina for an unknown adventure ! ...this was in 1991, nine years after the Falklands conflict, and tensions were still there between the UK and Argentine governments.

The hospitality from the people there was overwhelming. So much help was offered. I didn't know anyone, and couldn't speak the language.

I even ended up spending six days with a family in a military garrison, in Rio Gallegos at the bottom of Argentina. The man of the family was an officer in the army there, and was taken prisoner by the British Army after he was shot down in his helicopter and injured !  He was able to show me several photographs from his time in the Falklands war.

It was great the time I had with the family, learning so much. Like how much they like dulce de leche on cream crackers !

For me, experiences like this far outweigh seeing the big tourist sites of natural wonders or grand buildings.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well at least you'll have a fortnight with your feet up when you get home. Even if you don't want one.

Maybe brush up your French;)

Best wishes.

Thank you Spacecadet,

No quarantine for me upon my return fortunately, for two reasons.

But can't say too much on a public forum (non disclosure act with contracting company).

I have had plenty of swabs up the nose though for covid tests !

I'd tell you down the pub tho. But they are shut ! 😟

( BTW... if you watch BBC2 's Saving Britain's Pubs with Tom Kerridge...one of them is my local !)

Have a good Sunday all,

Phil

• Love 1

I was sad to hear that longtime Jeopardy host Alex Trebek died today. I used to watch him on CBC way back in the 60's. At that time he hosted a quiz show -- not unlike Jeopardy -- for nerdy high school students (like me at the time) called Reach for the Top, which was produced in Toronto. Here's a clip from that show. I can remember seeing it on our tiny-screened b&w Marconi TV.  Alex will be missed.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I was sad to hear that longtime Jeopardy host Alex Trebek died today. I used to watch him on CBC way back in the 60's. At that time he hosted a quiz show -- not unlike Jeopardy -- for nerdy high school students (like me at the time) called Reach for the Top, which was produced in Toronto. Here's a clip from that show. I can remember seeing it on our tiny-screened b&w Marconi TV.  Alex will be missed.

He was a one-of-kind, a giant in the game show biz.  I have been watching jeopardy since a teenager...loved Alex Trebek.   A Canadian treasure for sure!!  He will be very tough to replace on Jeopardy.  I am thinking that Ken Jennings might be called to host.

23 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

He was a one-of-kind, a giant in the game show biz.  I have been watching jeopardy since a teenager...loved Alex Trebek.   A Canadian treasure for sure!!  He will be very tough to replace on Jeopardy.  I am thinking that Ken Jennings might be called to host.

I guess you could say that Alex was a hybrid Canadian-American. He took out US citizenship in 1998, I believe. He was given the Order of Canada in 2017, a very prestigious award.

He's going to be tough to replace, but I think that the show will continue because it has so many fans and such a familiar format. There aren't too many constants left in our change-obsessed media world. It will be interesting to see who they pick to replace Alex. Perhaps he had someone in mind. It's very sad news but not totally unexpected. He looked good on his recent shows.

• Alamy locked this topic