Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

On 20/11/2020 at 09:50, Vincent Lowe said:

It has never crossed my mind that this song is not universally known. It has been such a recurring hit in the UK for years and years. It resurfaces every November and goes back into hibernation after Xmas! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

It has never crossed my mind that this song is not universally known. It has been such a recurring hit in the UK for years and years. It resurfaces every November and goes back into hibernation after Xmas!

Must have heard it in the eighties, but it has never occurred to me that it could be that much of an evergreen in the UK. Then again, it must be the punk generation carrying this with them along life's path. On closer inspection I do have it on If I should fall, and 3 more demos on the Just look them straight in the eye box set. (All 3 are on youtube in case you're interested.)

On last count I had 287 songs with Christmas in the title. That is modern music, because classical music does have lots of albums called Christmas this or that, but very seldom in the title.

If you're in for a little crossover culture watch this. Mine is from 2007.

If you're into cats, then this is for you. This is the Bad Things Thread after all.

😂

wim

On 20/11/2020 at 21:33, gvallee said:

Feel better soon Betty, it's all past and done now. Being at home will also make you feel better.

OH had a colonoscopy done a couple of days ago. First thing he said to me when he woke up was 'wow!! the doctor is a hottie!!' What can I say, not a bad choice of doctor to push a camera up your bum 😂😂😂

Funeee!

I’ve had a few of those. Easy. What I hate is the prep. Ugh.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Windows 10 decided that it needed to update today. Computer out of action for over 4 hours. Just waiting for the inevitable crashes over the next few days. 

One  good thing, there have been no changes to my home screen, while in the past updates have pushed unwanted features in my direction which took time to eliminate.

Well, it's not terrible but the Thanksgiving dinner I was going to was cancelled. My friend is afraid she could have the virus --- which would be terrible but I hope for the best. She is very sensitive to feelings and she thought she might have it once before. Her test came back negative that time so I hope it is the same this time. The lucky thing is that I hadn't yet started to make the dozen corn muffins I was going to bring. So it is a quiet evening at home. I was expecting to have leftovers as well as having a big dinner tonight so tomorrow I have to replenish my food supply. Still grateful for all I have.. my health, friends, a comfortable apartment and adequate income. Also thankful for all the helpful people on the forum and for the sales Alamy brings me.

Paulette 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The first frost of the Autumn, our garden pond has a thin layer of ice on the surface, and it's not yet officially winter ! 

I guess it's also a 'bad' thing, but conversely, Australia has been the hottest country in the wold today. The 10 hottest locations in the world were all in Oz, from 46.6C to 42.3C. And we're not even in summer!! Only in 3 day's time.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

The first frost of the Autumn, our garden pond has a thin layer of ice on the surface, and it's not yet officially winter ! 

Ottawa is now going through a warming up (3 degrees) after some really nice snow twice this week, 15cm in total, so now it's the ugly dirty melting stuff, puddle jumping and car splashes....

Not yesterday, but....

I had a weird reaction to something late night a few nights ago.  My tongue swelled up and hurt.   I'd had this happen before and had friends take me to the local free hospital's emergency room where I was appropriately taken care of, but had to stay for 24 hours.   This time, I sat up until my dog walker/helper arrived and gave him C$500 (roughly $15 US) to buy some antihistamine and some pain killers.   He came back with two pills to take an hour apart and something for pain.  Pills worked.  My British nurse friend told me if they didn't, I was to go to the emergency room.

Dr. Google said it could be a reaction to ACE inhibitors or sesame seeds.   First time this happened, I blamed the canned sardines.   Now, probably either the sesame seeds or I just burnt my tongue on baked potatoes (no blisters, but it still feels a bit raw).   Slept most of the next day and my helper went out to get me a chicken burrito for dinner after insisting that I really needed to eat something other than a glass of milk.   Took the blood pressure pills afterward with no reactions.   Haven't tried the sesame seeds again (have black and white ones from a Korean store in Managua).   Spent a bit of time re-editing four photos as replacements for four that were, to my eye, too dark or not well balanced between shadows and sunlight (problem typical of tropical light).

A couple of days ago, I went to Nikon's to have the sensor cleaned on my D4. Great shop, great service, very friendly and efficient. 

Yesterday we went to an island with a sandy beach. Bear in mind it's summer here, sunny and in the 30Cs. Being Sunday, it was all very joyful, cafes/restaurants with live music, kids jumping from the pier, family having a picnic, people wimming, cycling along the beach or walking the dog, little train with laughing kids. I dutifully made the effort of trying to capture the atmosphere. 

Today I read the memory card in Bridge. Hmmm... why do they all open in PS instead of ACR?? Damn it!! The Nikon guy reset my settings from Raw to Jpeg for his before/after dust bunnies shot. He didn't need to do that, I knew the sensor was filthy. I wish he told me... It's amazing how a tiny thing upset my workflow though. No Raw to save, no adjustment in ACR before the final save.

However, in the grand scheme of things, it's a very minor 'bad' day.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

A couple of days ago, I went to Nikon's to have the sensor cleaned on my D4. Great shop, great service, very friendly and efficient. 

Yesterday we went to an island with a sandy beach. Bear in mind it's summer here, sunny and in the 30Cs. Being Sunday, it was all very joyful, cafes/restaurants with live music, kids jumping from the pier, family having a picnic, people wimming, cycling along the beach or walking the dog, little train with laughing kids. I dutifully made the effort of trying to capture the atmosphere. 

Today I read the memory card in Bridge. Hmmm... why do they all open in PS instead of ACR?? Damn it!! The Nikon guy reset my settings from Raw to Jpeg for his before/after dust bunnies shot. He didn't need to do that, I knew the sensor was filthy. I wish he told me... It's amazing how a tiny thing upset my workflow though. No Raw to save, no adjustment in ACR before the final save.

If it was Nikon or authorised Nikon repairer, then this is standard practice for sensor cleaning. They set the camera back to factory defaults. It is usually up front in the terms and conditions so you know about it. At least you discovered it before going too far. 

Edited by MDM

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

If it was Nikon or authorised Nikon repairer, then this is standard practice for sensor cleaning. They set the camera back to factory defaults. It is usually up front in the terms and conditions so you know about it. At least you discovered it before going too far. 

I checked all the other settings, and it seems the only one they changed. I've used this outlet before as it is the only one around  Cairns, 1,700km away. I think you're right, on previous occasions they did, I had forgotten. Having said that, the previous cleaning was in Darwin where nothing was reset.

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

I feel your pain, it happened to me some years ago, I thought there was something wrong with the camera!  Very frustrating, now I ask that it stays on RAW, whether or not they use jpeg and put back to RAW I don't know but now I always check when it's done anyway....It appears to be the only thing that changes.

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I feel your pain, it happened to me some years ago, I thought there was something wrong with the camera!  Very frustrating, now I ask that it stays on RAW, whether or not they use jpeg and put back to RAW I don't know but now I always check when it's done anyway....It appears to be the only thing that changes.

Carol

After that lesson, I'm sure I'll remember next time. Famous last words... At least there weren't many pictures taken. Thank you Carol.

8 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

Fixation? Maybe I am getting mixed up between servicing where I'm pretty sure they do a factory reset and sensor cleaning. 

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

Fixation? Maybe I am getting mixed up between servicing where I'm pretty sure they do a factory reset and sensor cleaning. 

Hiya, yes it was indeed Fixation but only the Jpeg/Raw was changed😄  Probably always as well to check everthing else though just in case....

Carol

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

That would upset me too Gen! I have had Nikon clean my cameras and, thank goodness,  they did not touch the settings.  It reminds me of a time when I had my car in for repair and they must have tested my headlights.  I always leave them in "auto" mode, so they turn on and off, depending on the lighting environment.   So that night I'm driving around and other cars are flashing their headlights at me and I had no idea why.  Then I looked down and saw the headlight mode set to "off". Doh!

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

That would upset me too Gen! I have had Nikon clean my cameras and, thank goodness,  they did not touch the settings.  It reminds me of a time when I had my car in for repair and they must have tested my headlights.  I always leave them in "auto" mode, so they turn on and off, depending on the lighting environment.   So that night I'm driving around and other cars are flashing their headlights at me and I had no idea why.  Then I looked down and saw the headlight mode set to "off". Doh!

Nice one. I hate people messing around with my things. Including sharing my laptop. 2 people will do things vey differently.

2 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

One of my molars is currently half the tooth it used to be. It'll either be fixed or pulled on Thursday.

That’s just reminded me, I dreamed last night that my back tooth broke off! Such a relief to wake up!!

7 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

That’s just reminded me, I dreamed last night that my back tooth broke off! Such a relief to wake up!!

That’s so funny. One of my repetitive nightmares is that my teeth are falling out, one by one. I hate that.

Repetitive nightmares.

1. Tornadoes are coming at me from all directions in open countryside. No place to run.
2. I’m in school and can’t remember my locker combination.

3. I’m in class and have no papers, books or pencils.

4. I leave school to walk home and I have no clothes on. I’m chasing newspapers blowing in the wind to cover myself with.

5. Teeth are falling out.
6. I have a baby lying half-starved in its crib because I forgot about it.

7. Somebody I love was killed.

8. My brakes won’t work and I’m about to crash. I wake up with a huge jump.

9. A big cat (tiger, lion, panther, etc) is chasing me, or jumping at me from a tree. Wake up with a huge jump.

10. Falling, off a cliff or whatever.  Again, a huge jump
11. Normal dreams, then in that dream, out of the blue suddenly I’m dizzy, fainting. I think this is my heart acting up in my sleep & working into my dream. I’ve had a real life shooting pain in my sleep before that caused me to dream I was being stabbed by a bad person.

Repetitive nice dreams.

1. I’m flying, soaring.

2. I’m levitating.

3. My closet is full of new clothes.

• Love 1

While we are on bad dreams, I have recurring dreams/nightmares that I am missing THE shot.  How I miss it changes, it could me fumbling with my gear, can’t get the right lens or my settings are all screwed up.  Or I physically can’t get where I need to be.  Late for a shoot is another.  Though I have had a few real life nightmare photo situations... A few years ago I formatted a card right after a shoot but was able to use software to recover the images..phew!  And back in the film days, I waited patiently in the cold with snow falling, for train to round a curve with its headlight shining through the snow...it was that beautiful blue dusk light.  I got home to only realize that I forgot to load the camera with film! Doh!

I have read that our bad dreams are only to better prepare us for real life disasters.

I have recurring dreams on a regular basis.

I’m packing to go home from holiday but I have too much stuff. I’m thinking why did I bring all this with me but I can’t imagine leaving it behind...very symbolic of something!

Or having moved house but I don’t know why and the new place is a wreck.

And phones that won't work, there are no buttons or they fall apart.

And driving but not being able to control the car.

And finding my way blocked by deep water.

And the teeth falling out one....

Actually, thinking about it, I don’t have nice dreams!!

• Alamy locked this topic