Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

I have word (Couple of days ago) that one of my nephews has Covid. He first tested negative, so he went about his business thinking he had allergies. Exposing workmates, his wife, etc. A day or two later, he saw his doctor for a thyroid problem, told her about the test and she re-tested him. Positive.
My sister told me his lungs took a turn for the worse yesterday. He’s still at home, and I’m not sure if we can trust him to get help if he worsens. He’s pretty independent. His doctor told him it would be doubtful any bed would be available at any of the city hospitals, which are overrun. I think some people resist going because they know the hospitals are short handed, care is slipping because of too few medical personnel taking care of too many sick.
My sister is a retired nurse and she once explained how long it took to assess a critical ICU patient. If she had too many assigned to her, she ran from room to room and had to rush assessment. It needed done often, and sometimes a heavy patient load would cause her to run behind. Not good. She once went to the Head of Nursing threatening to quit unless she had more help. She said she was afraid someone would die on her watch because there wasn’t enough time to care for them right, and she couldn’t live with it. She stayed on because she couldn’t abandon them.
My nephew has several things wrong with him.

I’m sorry to hear this Betty.  Everything you wrote sounds pretty familiar to what my daughter has been telling me, a real tough time to get the virus pretty much anywhere in the US.  PPE is in short supply again and nursing staff is getting tight.  I wish your nephew well and hope he only improves from here on!  My daughter told me today that she is on the list for the vaccine at her hospital.  I will gladly take it when it is my turn, I do have faith that it is better than getting the virus itself. 

Again, I hope all goes well for him and his family!

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m sorry to hear this Betty.  Everything you wrote sounds pretty familiar to what my daughter has been telling me, a real tough time to get the virus pretty much anywhere in the US.  PPE is in short supply again and nursing staff is getting tight.  I wish your nephew well and hope he only improves from here on!  My daughter told me today that she is on the list for the vaccine at her hospital.  I will gladly take it when it is my turn, I do have faith that it is better than getting the virus itself. 

Again, I hope all goes well for him and his family!

Thank you, Michael.

Medical help is stretched thin and so many of them have been knocked out by getting the virus themselves, some dying. It’s horrible. Which makes me think of the mask mandates. The professionals are still getting the virus in spite of their superior PPE. Why? Sterility lapses from sheer exhaustion, or is the virus getting through the barriers? Or going home to family members who have caught it elsewhere. Probably all of the above.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Michael.

Medical help is stretched thin and so many of them have been knocked out by getting the virus themselves, some dying. It’s horrible. Which makes me think of the mask mandates. The professionals are still getting the virus in spite of their superior PPE. Why? Sterility lapses from sheer exhaustion, or is the virus getting through the barriers? Or going home to family members who have caught it elsewhere. Probably all of the above.

Was just talking to my daughter, she just got her latest Covid test back and negative again!! She said she knows plenty of coworkers who have tested positive and she has no idea how they got it and she hasn't.  These people are in close contact with the infected patients for extended time periods, they are dealing with their fluids too.  I guess, even with gloves, gowns, face shields and masks, infected particles can get thru.  Also, I think they let their guard down some when they are just with each other, like in a break room eating.  

On 13/12/2020 at 16:29, Michael Ventura said:

Just did my Sunday vacuuming and I always find it amazing just how much dust accumulates....and I don't even have pets!

Nomads don't travel with a vacuum cleaner, folks. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh, Betty, that is bad news. 

It really is. Every life is special, but this guy and his two brothers were practically raised with my three kids. He’s 6 weeks older than my son and they are like brothers. As this thing rages on, sooner or later it will hit someone important to each of us, it seems.

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have word (Couple of days ago) that one of my nephews has Covid. He first tested negative, so he went about his business thinking he had allergies. Exposing workmates, his wife, etc. A day or two later, he saw his doctor for a thyroid problem, told her about the test and she re-tested him. Positive.
My sister told me his lungs took a turn for the worse yesterday. He’s still at home, and I’m not sure if we can trust him to get help if he worsens. He’s pretty independent. His doctor told him it would be doubtful any bed would be available at any of the city hospitals, which are overrun. I think some people resist going because they know the hospitals are short handed, care is slipping because of too few medical personnel taking care of too many sick.
My sister is a retired nurse and she once explained how long it took to assess a critical ICU patient. If she had too many assigned to her, she ran from room to room and had to rush assessment. It needed done often, and sometimes a heavy patient load would cause her to run behind. Not good. She once went to the Head of Nursing threatening to quit unless she had more help. She said she was afraid someone would die on her watch because there wasn’t enough time to care for them right, and she couldn’t live with it. She stayed on because she couldn’t abandon them.
My nephew has several things wrong with him.

That's truly awful Betty, I hope your nephew makes a swift recovery.

Carol

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think some people resist going because they know the hospitals are short handed, care is slipping because of too few medical personnel taking care of too many sick.

A Nicaraguan woman I know here lost her mother and one brother to the virus, but managed to have one brother treated at home who did recover.   A local doctor arranged for them to have oxygen delivered and got him the medicines being given here that might aid in recovery (basically redemsivir and a couple of others).   Last year, when the virus was bad in Italy, one other contributor posted about how his 90 something year old grandmother had survived it with the help of a granddaughter who was a doctor.  Getting the family the necessary personal protection gear seems to be critical, too.   Oxygen by mask seems to be extremely useful.

Betty I have just caught up with this thread and am so sorry to hear your nephew has covid 19. For all your sakes I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Allan

• Love 1

In the early 90's on the annual trek down to Cornwall in the car with two small boys we stopped for the third time at Travaunance Cove near St Agnes.

We stumbled into the little cafe and settled down. As is their way the boys struck up a conversation with an elderly couple on a near table. They had a happy conversation together about the merits of scones with cream or scones with butter, always with jam.  The old couple were absolutely charming and taken with the boys and their excited holiday jabbering.

I'd seen the old guys face on many book covers, I knew who he was, but we just enjoyed their company.

Very sad to to see the passing on saturday of David Cornwell who wrote as John Le Carre.

Edited by Mr Standfast
  • Like 2

On 01/12/2020 at 18:16, NYCat said:

I became a vegetarian because of a dream I had. Too scary to relate here if you love animals. I do eat fish now since the nutritionist at Sloan Kettering advised it when I had cancer. I'd still hate to be in the position of killing the fish though I think I could probably do it. Other creatures no way.

Paulette

I'm pescatarian as well. If like me you still like and in a sense crave the taste of meats like chicken and beef mince etc try out the Quorn meat replacement foods, they are great substitutes and if you mix them well with spices and other tasteful foods it really tastes like and has a similar texture to the meat. The mince makes for excellent burrito filler and the diced "pieces" make replacement filler for chicken wraps. I assume you can get Quorn in the USA.

Edited by Cal
spling mistaekes

36 minutes ago, Cal said:

I'm pescatarian as well. If like me you still like and in a sense crave the taste of meats like chicken and beef mince etc try out the Quorn meat replacement foods, they are great substitutes and if you mix them well with spices and other tasteful foods it really tastes like and has a similar texture to the meat. The mince makes for excellent burrito filler and the diced "pieces" make replacement filler for chicken wraps. I assume you can get Quorn in the USA.

Thanks for the tip, Cal. I looked it up and it is available here but banned in Canada because there can be allergic reactions to one ingredient. My favorite meat substitute is portobello mushrooms. I haven't tried the "impossible burger". Most vegetarian burgers are very unsatisfactory though I used to be able to get a "nut burger" from a local restaurant and it was excellent. Unfortunately that restaurant closed a very long time ago. There had been a change of chef and the new guy liked things very spicy. Apparently that was not a good move for a vegetarian restaurant.

Paulette

30 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Thanks for the tip, Cal. I looked it up and it is available here but banned in Canada because there can be allergic reactions to one ingredient. My favorite meat substitute is portobello mushrooms. I haven't tried the "impossible burger". Most vegetarian burgers are very unsatisfactory though I used to be able to get a "nut burger" from a local restaurant and it was excellent. Unfortunately that restaurant closed a very long time ago. There had been a change of chef and the new guy liked things very spicy. Apparently that was not a good move for a vegetarian restaurant.

Paulette

Falafel burgers are a nice alternative as a veggie burger. I consume quite a lot of falafel and houmous now. Yes I've heard mycoprotein can cause reactions.

Xmas knocked on the head by UK government, had hoped to see grandbairns on Boxing Day, but that's not going to happen. Probably a wise move as lots of new cases are being reported, while the vaccine should be available for us oldies in January, although I'll believe that when it happens. I had washed the car, topped up the fuel, adblue and windscreen wash in preparation for our now cancelled trip......

More positively we visited Beamish open air museum today, caught a glance of Santa who had abandoned his sleigh for a posh old open topped car and OH was able to sing a few carols with a socially distanced choir.

Oh, and the sun shone, I was able to add a few shots to my Alamy collection.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Xmas knocked on the head by UK government, had hoped to see grandbairns on Boxing Day, but that's not going to happen. Probably a wise move as lots of new cases are being reported, while the vaccine should be available for us oldies in January, although I'll believe that when it happens. I had washed the car, topped up the fuel, adblue and windscreen wash in preparation for our now cancelled trip......

More positively we visited Beamish open air museum today, caught a glance of Santa who had abandoned his sleigh for a posh old open topped car and OH was able to sing a few carols with a socially distanced choir.

Oh, and the sun shone, I was able to add a few shots to my Alamy collection.

Much the same as with you Bryan, our trip next Sunday to meet up with my daughter and grandson is now off. We were to meet up in the Forest of Dean for a socially distanced Sculpture Trail walk. Here we jumped quickly from tier 2, to 3 and now 4. It was on the cards for some time, which is why we previously met up in the Cotswolds when we could, and swapped presents early.

We were in our town centre briefly yesterday avoiding the covidiots, I wonder how bad the situation has to get before they wakeup. One keeper so far from a limited shoot. My car nearside dipped headlamp failed Friday, need to replace the H4 bulb later as it hopefully brightens up, both weather and the headlamp. Have also to make temporary repairs to a fence, and tidy up the kitchen table ready for Christmas. Plenty to do.

Edited by sb photos

Just when I thought I got through Christmas within a sensible budget, driving home today car lost power warning lights on dashboard indicates some sort of exhaust system fault.  Just about got home, car dead outside till Tuesday with unknown garage bill. 😒 

16 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Just when I thought I got through Christmas within a sensible budget, driving home today car lost power warning lights on dashboard indicates some sort of exhaust system fault.  Just about got home, car dead outside till Tuesday with unknown garage bill. 😒 

Is it a diesel perchance?

• Alamy locked this topic