Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:
The NHS has been very supportive of my broken arm. Today I had my first problem with them. After fruitless, endless online research, I phoned to ask a simple, basic question: how do I make an appointment for a covid-19 jab?

After 45 mins of them waltzing me around, they finally admitted that they didn't know. What? This was on 111. 

Not such a big problem, Ed- the first doses only arrived on Monday, and only enough for 400,000 people. There's a lot of stuff to work out.

Just sit tight. If you're registered with a GP they'll find you. The NHS does that. I haven't been to the doctor's for 13 years, but I got the invite pretty promptly when I became a certain age for a certain screening programme, and that wasn't even urgent.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Ed Rooney said:

All that makes sense, folks -- what makes no sense is that I can't get an answer from the NHS. 

I am sure that if it was possible to give an answer they would. But as Mark says there is a lot for them to arrange still and until they have a clearer idea they will sound a bit waffly.

It will all come together in the next few weeks.

Allan

• Upvote 1

I understood that keyworkers/nhs workers would have the jab first followed by the elderly with underlying health conditions then the rest depending on age.  Also thought that we would be contacted and not for us to contact them.  However, for those who are concerned, a local GP may be able to give you more of an idea as to when you would be eligible.

Carol

I doubt that a GP will be able to say any more than "well, what usually happens with a vaccine is............." yet. What I don't doubt is that calling a GP will just waste his time.

With the flu vaccine I understand that the priority groups are notified in order. No doubt the same will happen with these vaccines. Ed is fairly high up the list so when he can be offered a vaccine he will be.

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I doubt that a GP will be able to say any more than "well, what usually happens with a vaccine is............." yet. What I don't doubt is that calling a GP will just waste his time.

With the flu vaccine I understand that the priority groups are notified in order. No doubt the same will happen with these vaccines. Ed is fairly high up the list so when he can be offered a vaccine he will be.

Yes that's actually what I meant.  I personally wouldn't waste my surgery's time by phoning and would only be able to speak to reception anyway, if they haven't already got a recorded message about the vaccine - but phoning may put some folks minds at rest😉

Carol

Edo,  I think Mark and Alan have called the situation as it is. The NHS is working out how the hell they jab all of us, twice. On a more practical note my Dr's surgery are very good at calling me in for my regular tests, reviews and check ups. I'm guesing they are relying on that existing practice for the "general procedure".

In other news, I think the hedgehogs have started hibernating this week. so no more complaints from them about the quality of the wifi at the bottom of the garden!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I agree. I know I am in the clinically extremely vulnerable group as I have been notified so by the NHS via letter and email. Last time I checked that puts me in the 4th out of the 9 waves of proposed vaccinations. That will likely happen when when people in groups 1 - 3 have been vaccinated, and that timing depends upon vaccine availability, resources and the numbers involved. Currently the NHS has a mammoth task to perform, all we may determine is what group we are likely in, then follow announcements as vaccinations of the 9 groups begin.

Our news said this evening there had been two cases of serious allergic reactions in the UK.  Not sure if both, but at least one of those persons carries an epi pen. It may be decided that anyone with serious allergic reactions to other things be recommended  to not have the shot. Early days and reports, though.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Grrrr... 2 tiny sales for virtually nothing, and Two refunds for medium $$

😒

You know things are bad when the Doc starts growling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Our news said this evening there had been two cases of serious allergic reactions in the UK.  Not sure if both, but at least one of those persons carries an epi pen. It may be decided that anyone with serious allergic reactions to other things be recommended  to not have the shot. Early days and reports, though.

Apparently both normally carry epipens. I don't think we know what type of allergy they have, but at the moment at least, all people with a record of very severe allergic reactions have been advised not to have the Pfizer vaccine (at least in the UK)

Kumar

Set out for my morning constitutional. Got a few hundred yards when the heavens opened. Turned back but was a drowned rat when I got back home.

Allan

Yes, Allan -- this winter's rain is the most I've ever seen. 

Doc, with your great, large collection, I'm betting you'll catch up by the end of the month.

I have what seems to be a dust-mite allergy, but I assume they are not focusing on that. I've never had a bad reaction to a jab. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have what seems to be a dust-mite allergy,

Get the vacuum cleaner out and USE IT.😃

Just joking.

Allan

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Get the vacuum cleaner out and USE IT.😃

Just joking.

Allan

Just did my Sunday vacuuming and I always find it amazing just how much dust accumulates....and I don't even have pets!

I have word (Couple of days ago) that one of my nephews has Covid. He first tested negative, so he went about his business thinking he had allergies. Exposing workmates, his wife, etc. A day or two later, he saw his doctor for a thyroid problem, told her about the test and she re-tested him. Positive.
My sister told me his lungs took a turn for the worse yesterday. He’s still at home, and I’m not sure if we can trust him to get help if he worsens. He’s pretty independent. His doctor told him it would be doubtful any bed would be available at any of the city hospitals, which are overrun. I think some people resist going because they know the hospitals are short handed, care is slipping because of too few medical personnel taking care of too many sick.
My sister is a retired nurse and she once explained how long it took to assess a critical ICU patient. If she had too many assigned to her, she ran from room to room and had to rush assessment. It needed done often, and sometimes a heavy patient load would cause her to run behind. Not good. She once went to the Head of Nursing threatening to quit unless she had more help. She said she was afraid someone would die on her watch because there wasn’t enough time to care for them right, and she couldn’t live with it. She stayed on because she couldn’t abandon them.
My nephew has several things wrong with him.

• Sad 2

I’m sorry to hear this Betty.  Everything you wrote sounds pretty familiar to what my daughter has been telling me, a real tough time to get the virus pretty much anywhere in the US.  PPE is in short supply again and nursing staff is getting tight.  I wish your nephew well and hope he only improves from here on!  My daughter told me today that she is on the list for the vaccine at her hospital.  I will gladly take it when it is my turn, I do have faith that it is better than getting the virus itself. 

Again, I hope all goes well for him and his family!

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m sorry to hear this Betty.  Everything you wrote sounds pretty familiar to what my daughter has been telling me, a real tough time to get the virus pretty much anywhere in the US.  PPE is in short supply again and nursing staff is getting tight.  I wish your nephew well and hope he only improves from here on!  My daughter told me today that she is on the list for the vaccine at her hospital.  I will gladly take it when it is my turn, I do have faith that it is better than getting the virus itself. 

Again, I hope all goes well for him and his family!

Thank you, Michael.

Medical help is stretched thin and so many of them have been knocked out by getting the virus themselves, some dying. It’s horrible. Which makes me think of the mask mandates. The professionals are still getting the virus in spite of their superior PPE. Why? Sterility lapses from sheer exhaustion, or is the virus getting through the barriers? Or going home to family members who have caught it elsewhere. Probably all of the above.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Michael.

Medical help is stretched thin and so many of them have been knocked out by getting the virus themselves, some dying. It’s horrible. Which makes me think of the mask mandates. The professionals are still getting the virus in spite of their superior PPE. Why? Sterility lapses from sheer exhaustion, or is the virus getting through the barriers? Or going home to family members who have caught it elsewhere. Probably all of the above.

Was just talking to my daughter, she just got her latest Covid test back and negative again!! She said she knows plenty of coworkers who have tested positive and she has no idea how they got it and she hasn't.  These people are in close contact with the infected patients for extended time periods, they are dealing with their fluids too.  I guess, even with gloves, gowns, face shields and masks, infected particles can get thru.  Also, I think they let their guard down some when they are just with each other, like in a break room eating.  

On 13/12/2020 at 16:29, Michael Ventura said:

Just did my Sunday vacuuming and I always find it amazing just how much dust accumulates....and I don't even have pets!

Nomads don't travel with a vacuum cleaner, folks.