Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

Fortunately I can't compete with many of the bad things mentioned above  - but  - ate the last of the Xmas cake, inconsolable....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email from the hospital where I have appointments for the vaccine and it said they have had to cancel appointments because of shortage of vaccine. I still have my appointments and they will confirm 24 or 48 hours before. They said I should go ahead and try to get it elsewhere if I can.

I did try a pharmacy in my neighborhood and they make it pretty easy to check. Of course, they had nothing. I made my appointments when it was available to anyone over 75. Then almost immediately they opened up to anyone over 65. When they did that I thought it wasn’t likely they would have enough vaccine. I’m going to keep trying to get an earlier appointment but I still have the ones in Feb. and Mar. and I won’t drive myself crazy about it. As long as people are being vaccinated it should help us all. 

 

Paulette
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I got an email from the hospital where I have appointments for the vaccine and it said they have had to cancel appointments because of shortage of vaccine. I still have my appointments and they will confirm 24 or 48 hours before. They said I should go ahead and try to get it elsewhere if I can.

I did try a pharmacy in my neighborhood and they make it pretty easy to check. Of course, they had nothing. I made my appointments when it was available to anyone over 75. Then almost immediately they opened up to anyone over 65. When they did that I thought it wasn’t likely they would have enough vaccine. I’m going to keep trying to get an earlier appointment but I still have the ones in Feb. and Mar. and I won’t drive myself crazy about it. As long as people are being vaccinated it should help us all. 

 

Paulette
 

It’s a mess. The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Sorry you have to go through this.

 

In the newspaper today, they are saying the vaccine might protect you for 8 months...or not. We’re not out from the trials long enough to know. And I read that you can still get Covid, but if you’ve been vaccinated, it will be a lighter case. Sounds to me like people can still infect others.

Absolutely too much is unknown about it.

I’m afraid that if it’s not as protective as we’d hoped, that a lot of people will go out and about feeling protected, but spread it to those who haven’t gotten the shot, yet.
It also begs the question...you've had the vaccine. But you do get a light case of Covid later on. I’ve heard even light cases have still gotten some of the nasty side effects like blood clots, etc. So does the vaccine protect those who’ve had the shot but get a lighter case of Covid from those complications?

ARRGH!

I think the jury is still out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think the jury is still out.

If it's any consolation I think you've just given a brilliantly concise description of the situation here in the UK as well. We seem to be doing well at getting the vaccine out though it's a little early to say and there seem to be shortages here also, inevitable I suppose. I'd have been much prouder if we'd been 'worldbeaters' at keeping the number of cases and deaths down though. Already there is pressure building up to go back to normal once the 'vulnerable' (they mean old) have been vaccinated. The usual suspects are talking about only employing people who've been vaccinated, though as you've pointed out this won't actually prevent them from potentially spreading the virus to the hapless householders that they visit. Yesterday a government minister refused to be pinned down over whether everyone would get their second dose in time preferring to speak instead of all those who have been 'offered' a vaccine. That second dose was always going to be a problem, requiring a doubling of capacity almost overnight once 3 weeks came round, now moved to 12 weeks over here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

If it's any consolation I think you've just given a brilliantly concise description of the situation here in the UK as well. We seem to be doing well at getting the vaccine out though it's a little early to say and there seem to be shortages here also, inevitable I suppose. I'd have been much prouder if we'd been 'worldbeaters' at keeping the number of cases and deaths down though. Already there is pressure building up to go back to normal once the 'vulnerable' (they mean old) have been vaccinated. The usual suspects are talking about only employing people who've been vaccinated, though as you've pointed out this won't actually prevent them from potentially spreading the virus to the hapless householders that they visit. Yesterday a government minister refused to be pinned down over whether everyone would get their second dose in time preferring to speak instead of all those who have been 'offered' a vaccine. That second dose was always going to be a problem, requiring a doubling of capacity almost overnight once 3 weeks came round, now moved to 12 weeks over here. 

 

You are right Harry. Based upon what we currently know (and what we don't know) the Covid-19 virus may well be a threat for many years, and may reduce but never go away. Also there have been worrying surveys that indicate large numbers of the population will refuse the vaccination offer. There has been much misleading information on social media. I visited my local vaccination hub Saturday for photography, and noted worrying congestion at the front of the queue, appearing to be mainly around the volunteer marshalls. Not good as they were vaccinating the over 80's. Reminded me of some supermarket staff. At least 7 local doctors surgeries were present at the hub. I only know the speed of vaccination for one of the surgeries, 200 patients within 3 days. The indicators are it will be a long process. When it's my turn in the 4th group I'll be carrying my RX100. Has anyone on the forum taken a camera with them when they were vaccinated? There was a lack of external signs, and no photography forbidden signs as at Serco run Covid testing facilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add to the tension.... a friend's doctor is advising wearing goggles or face shields in addition to a mask to avoid the more transmissible version of the virus. I shall try to enjoy each day as it comes while I am healthy.

 

Paulette

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

 Also there have been worrying surveys that indicate large numbers of the population will refuse the vaccination offer. There has been much misleading information on social media. 

 

I spoke to a bloke recently who told me that he had encountered people who had been led to believe that the vaccination was being used by the government to insert tracking microchips.  The mind boggles.  Still if these eejits don't want the jab it will shorten the time that more sensible folk have to wait.  I'm hoping for the invitation to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

 

We've avoided going to the shops during this lockdown, but I'm hoping I'll be protected in time to go and buy some seed potatoes before it's too late in the season.

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

I spoke to a bloke recently who told me that he had encountered people who had been led to believe that the vaccination was being used by the government to insert tracking microchips.  The mind boggles.  Still if these eejits don't want the jab it will shorten the time that more sensible folk have to wait.  I'm hoping for the invitation to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

 

We've avoided going to the shops during this lockdown, but I'm hoping I'll be protected in time to go and buy some seed potatoes before it's too late in the season.

 

We’ve bought ours online from pennardplants.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

We’ve bought ours online from pennardplants.com

Considered mail order but postage makes it pricey. A friend on our site gave me a stack of charlottes surplus to his requirements, but I also need some maincrop. If the worst comes to the worst I'll just buy some eating roosters using click and collect from Sainsbury's and plant them.  Given the circumstances I can live without certified stock for this year. However if I get the jab in the next few weeks I'll wait a while then head out to Wilco to buy some proper seed stock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

I spoke to a bloke recently who told me that he had encountered people who had been led to believe that the vaccination was being used by the government to insert tracking microchips.  The mind boggles.  Still if these eejits don't want the jab it will shorten the time that more sensible folk have to wait.  I'm hoping for the invitation to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

 

We've avoided going to the shops during this lockdown, but I'm hoping I'll be protected in time to go and buy some seed potatoes before it's too late in the season.

I read on the CDC site some weeks ago that there is a possibility the vaccine can instigate an auto-immune disease. Those are diseases like Lupis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Chron’s disease, some skin diseases and many others. This concerns me. I got arthritis in my 20s and it was fairly severe. Initially I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis because I had the RH factor in my blood. It disappeared a few years later. Who knows. I still hurt. I have enough trouble with my back now that any auto-immune disease could put me down and out.

 

I’m not mentioning this to frighten anyone, but I do believe each of us have the right of choice. I went back to the CDC site a couple of weeks later and couldn’t find the article. Too many others had been added, and I didn’t remember the leading line which wasn’t about auto-immune side effects, but was a small sentence crammed in between other information.

There should not be vaccine shaming, whether pro or no.

I find it telling that governments aren’t telling the public these things. We’ve heard a small scattering of a few allergic reactions, but anyone that’s had anything to do with medicine will tell you that mass inoculation will have more averse reactions that has been mentioned. Governments are trying so hard to persuade everyone to take it to the point that I fear they might hide things that would discourage vaccination.
Please don’t tell me they aren’t capable of disinformation because we all know differently. At least I do.

Please don’t think I’m trying to discourage anyone, because I'm not. I just happen to be a person who does my due diligence. If that takes me a month, two or more, so be it.

i found this tonight:  https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4347/rr-6

But also found an article claiming otherwise.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think potatoes go in around here on or around St. Pat’s day. Middle of March. Same in the UK?

Varies depending upon where in the UK Betty, later further north. I'll plant mine in the last week of March if the soil isn't too cold and wet. I will probably get some frost damage to the new shoots, but I need to get the crop out of the ground before we get blight, and an early planting is the best compromise. Further I'll be wanting the space for late season brassicas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think potatoes go in around here on or around St. Pat’s day. Middle of March. Same in the UK?

I put mine in when the water's boiling...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

I put mine in when the water's boiling...

Funny 😁 ....but potatoes, and other root veg, should be started in cold water! Stops them going mushy. 

Green veg go into boiling water. 

(just being pedantic!!)

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Funny 😁 ....but potatoes, and other root veg, should be started in cold water! Stops them going mushy. 

Green veg go into boiling water. 

(just being pedantic!!)

I agree with starting them off in cold water and bringing to the boil.  What I'm struggling with it cutting a swede and celeriac without chopping my fingers off, wondering if an electric knife would help😁 Since I've discovered celeriac chips and swede mash I just need to learn how to cut them without damaging myself😁

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remembering this is'nt really a bad thing but I had a saturday job in woolworths and had to pack the seed potatoes. Just over 7 pounds in each bag, or else!

 

As for a bad thing, I've just spent 29 minutes talking to my broadband provider. It was a "give me a discount or I'm off" conversation, a bot long overdue I'm afraid.

 

As for a good thing I now have a lower monthly bill! After watching a lot of antiques programmes on the BBC I didn't take their first offer or their second! So I'm about 39% better off but it's not all roses because a new customer still gets a better deal. 

 

Time to put the kettle on and maybe a bit of Vin Garbutt; "A man of the earth, a man of the soil, in his loney allotment he labours and toils..."

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Funny 😁 ....but potatoes, and other root veg, should be started in cold water! Stops them going mushy. 

Well... you learn something new every day.

Lockdown has made me produce better meals: more home-made, less 'packaged'. An old dog can learn new tricks...  😀

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I agree with starting them off in cold water and bringing to the boil.  What I'm struggling with it cutting a swede and celeriac without chopping my fingers off, wondering if an electric knife would help😁 Since I've discovered celeriac chips and swede mash I just need to learn how to cut them without damaging myself😁

 

Carol

 

I have the same problem getting the skin off our butternut squash! Worth it though, makes great soup. 

 

You’ll be needing the swede mash for Burns Night next week! 

Edited by Thyrsis
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Funny 😁 ....but potatoes, and other root veg, should be started in cold water! Stops them going mushy. 

Green veg go into boiling water. 

(just being pedantic!!)

 

Absolutely, but further pedantry, I prefer to steam the green veg over the spuds rather than immerse in water. It also saves gas, which appeals to me greatly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

 

I have the same problem getting the skin off our butternut squash! Worth it though, makes great soup. 

 

You’ll be needing the swede mash for Burns Night next week! 

I had the same problem until I got a really!!! sharp knife. Top and tail the offending veg, then run knife down the sides to peel, cut in half, then each half in half, carry on untill desired thickness is reached, then cut across into squares. (Probhably sum chef raising his eyes to the heavens) works for me though.

Butternut squash and a pinch of Chilli flake lovely warming soup.

Andy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I had the same problem until I got a really!!! sharp knife. Top and tail the offending veg, then run knife down the sides to peel, cut in half, then each half in half, carry on untill desired thickness is reached, then cut across into squares. (Probhably sum chef raising his eyes to the heavens) works for me though.

Butternut squash and a pinch of Chilli flake lovely warming soup.

Andy.

That sounds good.  I have just bought a brand new sharp knife set in Costco, what could possibly go wrong😁  I will wear some thick gloves also when using the new knives😁.   found the celeriac difficult to cut, but the swede was on another level entirely😁

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

That sounds good.  I have just bought a brand new sharp knife set in Costco, what could possibly go wrong😁  I will wear some thick gloves also when using the new knives😁.   found the celeriac difficult to cut, but the swede was on another level entirely😁

 

Carol

Just to save your digits I found a speed peeler does the business on butternut squash. Over here in Ireland Swedes and Turnips are the opposite to in UK, which being a stupid Englishman always causes massive arguments at the checkout.🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.