Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Speaking of snow and cold weather....

60 miles to the south is Oklahoma. They are expecting 10-15 inches of snow over the weekend into Monday, and -46 wind chill.  Wichita’s weather people are hedging their bets and act afraid to predict snow for here. Usually when the snow starts falling, they tell you it’s going to snow. There is a possibility we may get above freezing in 8 days.

I’m spoiled. The National Weather Bureau is in Norman, Oklahoma which is just south of Oklahoma City where I lived. Oklahoma weather forecasting is so good, I really see the shortcomings of Kansas.

Makes me disgruntled since from being a slip of a girl, I’ve been tuned in to nature which weather is such a part of. You’d think the home of Dorothy and Toto would be better.
I probably should have been a meteorologist. Although medicine is my #1 love. I doubt my emotional well-being would have handled the dying very well, though. I’m too empathetic. I always pictured healing and happy outcomes. So I’ll just stay tuned in to nature.

• Love 1

Something very strange happened today I just cannot figure out.....I took my Nikon out today, no that's not the strange thing.  I took a couple of shots, looked at the screen and it had gone into square crop format !  I have literally no idea how this happened as to do this I would have to go into a completely different menu and scroll down to do it.    Anyway I put it back to how I usually have it but very strange, I would feel happier if I knew how it happened - it wasn't me😁  

Carol

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

There may be some kind of shortcut on the buttons on the back of the camera. I once went to jpeg unknowingly that way.

Paulette

I think you are probably right Paulette, I did think of that though I've never set up a shortcut for it to go into square format, I will check it out though....

Carol

We just finished the eleventh day of below freezing temperatures. Monday night it was -17F, or -27C.  Some days the high temperature was 3 above zero, F. We’ve had several rounds of snow and I’ve been dripping my kitchen faucet at night, hoping my pipes won’t freeze.

This bitterly cold weather has been setting records. It’s very widespread and most of the states are feeling the bite.  Texas got a lot of ice and I think I heard about a million people are without power. Not only do they have no heat, the stores are out of many things including bottled water.

Kansas has been having rolling blackouts because of power demand. So has Texas and other states.  The electrical grids are being pushed beyond their capacity.  Many of the wind turbines that supply a certain percent of the power are frozen...not turning...not making power. Coal, wherever it’s used, is in piles stored outside and covered in snow, wet first and frozen, and hard to get it to burn well if it can be chopped out. I think lessons will be learned.

Tonight will be like a heat wave because the overnight will be a bit over zero. Hope is on the way. Friday will be hovering around the freezing point, and it will warm up from there.

So far I’ve not lost power, and I think the worst is over. Although Saturday and Sunday we are supposed to get a mix. Rain, sleet, snow?   W H A T E V E R!

• Love 1

I had to cancel my weekly yoga and lunch date with a friend today to take my cat Possum to the vet. He was having trouble peeing and yelling in indignation. This happened once before and cleared up quickly. It turned out Possum was not blocked. He had an antibiotic shot and an anti-inflammatory shot. I have pain killer in syringes and one can of prescription diet food to try out. He gained weight since he was there two weeks ago!!! Possum has always had a weight issue. It is snowing today so not great for taking him to the vet. An Asian taxi driver and a Sikh taxi driver were each very helpful but I hope to not need to go in the snow ever again. As soon as we got home Possum ate. He does love his food. I’m exhausted from the experience.

Paulette

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We just finished the eleventh day of below freezing temperatures. Monday night it was -17F, or -27C.  Some days the high temperature was 3 above zero, F. We’ve had several rounds of snow and I’ve been dripping my kitchen faucet at night, hoping my pipes won’t freeze.

This bitterly cold weather has been setting records. It’s very widespread and most of the states are feeling the bite.  Texas got a lot of ice and I think I heard about a million people are without power. Not only do they have no heat, the stores are out of many things including bottled water.

Kansas has been having rolling blackouts because of power demand. So has Texas and other states.  The electrical grids are being pushed beyond their capacity.  Many of the wind turbines that supply a certain percent of the power are frozen...not turning...not making power. Coal, wherever it’s used, is in piles stored outside and covered in snow, wet first and frozen, and hard to get it to burn well if it can be chopped out. I think lessons will be learned.

Tonight will be like a heat wave because the overnight will be a bit over zero. Hope is on the way. Friday will be hovering around the freezing point, and it will warm up from there.

So far I’ve not lost power, and I think the worst is over. Although Saturday and Sunday we are supposed to get a mix. Rain, sleet, snow?   W H A T E V E R!

A friend in Texas sent me some photos of his snow-covered neighbourhood. Fortunately, he hasn't lost power, but he does have to boil drinking water. Sounds like things are warming up now.

54 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

A friend in Texas sent me some photos of his snow-covered neighbourhood. Fortunately, he hasn't lost power, but he does have to boil drinking water. Sounds like things are warming up now.

The news said the water pressure in Texas is so low that bacteria is getting in, thus the boil order. Not helpful to people who have no way to boil. There is NO water to be had in stores.

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Many of the wind turbines that supply a certain percent of the power are frozen...not turning...not making power.

Something like around 10% and they're frozen because they weren't built to spec for cold weather.  Parts north and parts very far south (Antarctica) have working wind turbines through even lower temperatures. 

• Love 2

16 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Something like around 10% and they're frozen because they weren't built to spec for cold weather.  Parts north and parts very far south (Antarctica) have working wind turbines through even lower temperatures. 

I read that it is more like 20% in Texas for wind power.  Apparently the much bigger problem was the natural gas and the mechanisms to move and deliver the gas, froze up.  Natural Gas makes up more than 50% or Texas electric fuel.  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I read that it is more like 20% in Texas for wind power.  Apparently the much bigger problem was the natural gas and the mechanisms to move and deliver the gas, froze up.  Natural Gas makes up more than 50% or Texas electric fuel.  

Just checked the stats and more like around 26% (Twitter isn't always reliable), but still the vast majority of the state doesn't have connections with either of the main power grids since it didn't want to have its energy companies Federally regulated.  Nothing apparently was winterized. 

The Dallas/Fort Worth area regularly gets ice storms. When I lived in Oklahoma City, we got hammered a lot and usually what we had, they got to one degree or another.  The trees would be so broken they looked like they’d been through a tornado. It got to a point sometimes we had two major ice storms during one winter. Sometimes people were without power 2-3 weeks in the more rural areas.

Its not that bad in Wichita. It seems what falls from the sky tends to be sleet or snow, and if we get ice, (freezing rain) it’s a small layer that doesn’t break anything or knock power out. Although I did hear they had a doozy 13 or so years ago. That's better than 1-2 a year.

Several glum points to this week..it appears to forma trend much same as rest of year which I won't venture into. 

After organising hospital appointments for my elderly mother (who is now bedridden, no mobility) after one xray taken she returns home with no bloods having been taken she is also very irate with all of us for removing her from bed in first place, so after months it seems back to square one. 

My sister who has a debilitating form of MS has no mobility in a wheelchair cannot exit her home as her landlord two years after notification has informed her yet again they cannot attend the fourth appointment to install a ramp adaptation.

Third I suppose pales in comparison with above. The gremlins return to my Adobe Lightroom CC an entire day with zero processed, wasted on trying to execute a fix, to Adobe LR CC third time this year. 

On 17/02/2021 at 21:43, Colblimp said:

One of my neighbours passed away today after a massive heart attack. Very sad day.

So sorry to here Andy, the last couple days been sad all round 2 funerals for me 1 Union Hall 1 in the village, knocks the stuffing out a bit.

Warning - Grumpy old man post.

We've been using click and collect to get the bulk of our shopping so avoiding visiting a large supermarket, but for in between bits and pieces we've walked to the  Sainsbury's Local a couple of miles away. This shop has a convenient car park almost immediately adjacent, but on our last two visits I've observed motorists choosing to park on the pavement just outside the door of the shop, or on the road right next to a blind bend, so as to avoid having to walk a few extra yards. No wonder these people are overweight. It's just idleness, thoughtlessness, selfishness or plain stupidity, or, for good measure, all four .  😉

Rant over.

• Love 2

5 hours ago, aphperspective said:

So sorry to here Andy, the last couple days been sad all round 2 funerals for me 1 Union Hall 1 in the village, knocks the stuffing out a bit.

Thanks Andy, hope you're OK after the two funerals.  Death sucks...

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Thanks Andy, hope you're OK after the two funerals.  Death sucks...

I'm ok, always seems to be the good ones that go. Did ok in the local rag this week, well pleased 3 pics taking 1/2 page and the rubbish dumped image keeps paying. You did ok as well.

56 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I'm ok, always seems to be the good ones that go. Did ok in the local rag this week, well pleased 3 pics taking 1/2 page and the rubbish dumped image keeps paying. You did ok as well.

You did good, I did OK - 6 for me, could do better. I wonder if it'll change now Con has retired...  I'm doing very well on here this month, 9 sales for $550 gross, $225 net so far and there's still the end of month surge to come.  Lovely! 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

You did good, I did OK - 6 for me, could do better. I wonder if it'll change now Con has retired...  I'm doing very well on here this month, 9 sales for $550 gross, $225 net so far and there's still the end of month surge to come.  Lovely! 

Absolutely mate got to keep positive. The other way is madness.

• Like 1

It finally reached the freezing point today. Heat wave. The 15th was my daughter’s birthday, a cold, bitter day with light snow and a vicious wind. I took her out for a birthday lunch for Mediterranean dining. I’m not sure she appreciated me dragging her out. We had the place to ourselves. She did get a free piece of delicious raspberry cheesecake from the restaurant since it was her birthday.
The bad thing is the streets were snow-packed and loads of sand had been put down for traction. The salt wasn’t working...the temperature was too low for it. 
When I pulled my car in the garage, I saw how much snow/sand was packed on the tires and undercarriage. The past couple of days huge chunks have been falling off to the floor. Today, for the second time, I used the push broom to shove the mess out to the driveway. What was weird is it looked like some had splashed to a part of the garage it shouldn’t have reached. Little chunks about the size of large coins splattered clear to the side door. I was so puzzled. Then I noticed my box of cokes by the door into the house had a hole in it. And a coke can lay there with its top blown off. All of those splatters was frozen bits of coke. I’m so glad I wasn’t out there when that little bomb went off.  A strong enough small blast to blow through the heavy cardboard box it was in.

I did hear an odd sound from inside once, but I just thought it was another bucket-sized chunk of ice falling off my car.

Spring, Spring, where art thou, Spring.

• Alamy locked this topic