Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

23 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well I would'nt want you chaps to worry, but whilst we call it a boiler it doesn't actually boil the water.

The water temp is around 60 to 75C and is pumped around the radiators to heat the house and through an insulated tank to heat the hot water.

Stay safe. 😉

Good to know.  Betty was on the right track.  So it does both, heat the house and the hot water.  

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's a good thing that I can't afford to buy a house. I wouldn't know what to do with any part of it. 🤔

You could always open and shut the front door over and over and pretend it is an apartment (flat). At this stage, Ed, you wouldn’t want to take on a house never having had one. You just let someone know when something needs fixed and get on with your life.

I lived in apartments near Air Bases for 3 1/2 years and it wasn’t bad at all. Some were garage apartments. Some were stand alone units. And others the upstairs of a two-story home. We only had one with a shared wall and that one next to us was empty. Never had to deal with someone else’s noise.

I remember my grade school had the coiled thing in the room that had circulating hot water or steam, whichever. If you put your hand on it, it could burn you. Apparently, that one was hotter than yours, Mr. Standfast. I was never lucky enough to sit nearby to it. Kids sat arranged according to the last name in alphabetical order, and I always seemed to be away from the heater. I could see the purple network of my veins, or purple blotches on my arms, I was so cold during the winter. The kids next to the heater were also lucky when it was hot, because the opened windows and resulting puffs of air were on that side of the room, too.

I was getting ready to post about a few small positive things in the "Good Thing" thread . . . then the fire alarm went off. 

I knew it was probably another false alarm. But we had one last night—and a false alarm on Easter Sunday morning? That is unacceptable!

And while I'm bitching . . . I tried to go local for Easter. Bought me some hot-cross buns. What a disappointment. It left a bad taste in my mouth, both figuratively and actually. In Rome the tradition was to eat lamb. In France, I think it's fish. I can't remember what they have in Seville but Easter in Spain is a very big deal. I wish a bunny would hop by to cheer me up. 

Grumpy Edo

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Good to know.  Betty was on the right track.  So it does both, heat the house and the hot water.  

Correct. Mr Standfast explained the system eloquently.

Allan

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t feel alone. After buying this house 3 years ago, I’ve had to fix the heater twice, replace the A/C, fix the garage door opener and repair a leak in the refrigerator.
Let’s not discuss the hail storm that trashed the roof and siding.

That's the way it goes with home ownership.

That said, there is a shortage of homes for sale in the U.S.  In 3 years time, the worth of my house has increased $45,000. Part of that increase was from renovations, but mostly not.
I have people contacting me by mail a lot inquiring if I would sell my house. They send “love letters” with pictures of them, their kids, and their pet along with what they do for a living and the dreams my house would fulfill. What I had done to the exterior and yard greatly improved the curb appeal and the neighborhood is nice. I suspect I’ll downsize at some point since it is just me and Echo here. Just not yet.

When I moved in here I had negotiated a reduction to the selling price because of all the work that needed doing, not least, replacing the old wooden soffits, facias, bargeboards with uPVC, also the existing uPVC guttering and downpipes (which were past their best) too were also replaced on the house and detached double garage. While I was at it I had the rotten wood personnel door on the garage replaced, and to complete the job replaced the original heavy metal up and over double door on the front of the garage with a powered remote control roller door. Makes life much easier. Then there was the seriously overgrown weed filled garden at the rear of the property which I had ripped up, (the landscape gardener had to use a small mechanical digger on it), and replaced with a nice big gravel patch. Yes it cost more than the reduction in price but worth it for future low maintenance costs and higher resale price when it comes to it.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And while I'm bitching . . . I tried to go local for Easter. Bought me some hot-cross buns. What a disappointment. It left a bad taste in my mouth, both figuratively and actually.

Did you toast them?  Split in half, toasted and with dollops of butter - yum.  At least that's how we've scoffed 'em since I was a wee lad.

• Love 1

Toast them, eh? Okay, I have no toaster. I will split them and 'toast' them in a pan and add some butter. They were store-bought from M&S. Usually, I think they do a good job with their food. 

I bet Betty could do a tasty hot-cross bun. But I'm still waiting for her apple pie.

Edited by Ed Rooney

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Toast them, eh? Okay, I have no toaster. I will split them and 'toast' them in a pan and add some butter. They were store-bought from M&S. Usually, I think they do a good job with their food. 

You can toast under a grill if you have one, or the oven set to "grill". But shallow frying in butter sounds pretty lush.

Edited by spacecadet

Thank you to my authentic British friends for the hot-cross buns tips. Just did one for my lunch dessert. I didn't get it exactly right but I see the adjustments needed and it was really nice. I get it now.

Tomorrow will be Hot-Cross Bun Day! 😃

• Love 3

This will likely be the worst bad thing that’s happened to me that I will ever post. I usually work out of a shoulder bag holding 2 D750 bodies fitted with 24-70 and 70-350 lenses. Today I took a back pack as i also needed a crop D7200 body for a longer reach and a 17-35 lens to go wider. When finished I put the back pack into the cars front foot well. Before I drove off I smelt something awful. It wasn’t on the soles of my trainers, but on my back pack, yes, dog poo! It was awful. Did a temporary cleanup with tissues and sanitiser gel until I get home. There’s a slight smell and I’m about 90 minutes from home. And no, I won’t get used to it over 90 minutes. Lesson is to thoroughly check any grass before resting anything on it, lesson learnt.

Edited by sb photos

56 minutes ago, sb photos said:

This will likely be the worst bad thing that’s happened to me that I will ever post. I usually work out of a shoulder bag holding 2 D750 bodies fitted with 24-70 and 70-350 lenses. Today I took a back pack as i also needed a crop D7200 body for a longer reach and a 17-35 lens to go wider. When finished I put the back pack into the cars front foot well. Before I drove off I smelt something awful. It wasn’t on the soles of my trainers, but on my back pack, yes, dog poo! It was awful. Did a temporary cleanup with tissues and sanitiser gel until I get home. There’s a slight smell and I’m about 90 minutes from home. And no, I won’t get used to it over 90 minutes. Lesson is to thoroughly check any grass before resting anything on it, lesson learnt.

I was waiting for you to say that the bag was stolen from you...at least you can more easily replace the backpack if you had to but yes the drive home must have been awful.  I had a similar situation last year when I was photographing a home addition for a builder client and the backyard was just covered in dog poop...if they were landmines, I would have been severely crippled, if not dead.  The drive home with my shoes just stinking to high heaven, was almost unbearable.  I almost threw out the shoes.  But after much scrubbing (outside the house), even with an old toothbrush, I was able to wear them again.  I do believe that dogs have the worst smelling poo of all creatures.

48 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I was waiting for you to say that the bag was stolen from you...at least you can more easily replace the backpack if you had to but yes the drive home must have been awful.  I had a similar situation last year when I was photographing a home addition for a builder client and the backyard was just covered in dog poop...if they were landmines, I would have been severely crippled, if not dead.  The drive home with my shoes just stinking to high heaven, was almost unbearable.  I almost threw out the shoes.  But after much scrubbing (outside the house), even with an old toothbrush, I was able to wear them again.  I do believe that dogs have the worst smelling poo of all creatures.

I was going to say, AHEM!, then thought better of it.😉

Allan

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you to my authentic British friends for the hot-cross buns tips. Just did one for my lunch dessert. I didn't get it exactly right but I see the adjustments needed and it was really nice. I get it now.

Tomorrow will be Hot-Cross Bun Day! 😃

img_8274.jpg?w=1040&h=690&crop=1Home made hot cross buns, two without dried fruit because son-in-law doesn’t like it! 

• Love 1

On 03/04/2021 at 13:25, Betty LaRue said:

I have to ask...what is a boiler? Does the gas flame in your heater boil water, sending steam to units heating the house?

My heater is gas flame heating the air, then sending warm air through centralized vents in each room.  It’s simply called central heat and air.

Our boiler is in the basement and sends sssssssssss...steam heat and hot water to 4 shops and 48 apartments. I have a riser pipe in each room and radiators in the bedroom and living room. The riser in the bathroom gives too much heat and needs a foam cover. You have to be sure to always turn the radiator all the way on or all the way off or you wind up with some water in the radiator.

Paulette

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I bet Betty could do a tasty hot-cross bun. But I'm still waiting for her apple pie.

Here you go, Edo, and one more. Lots of cinnamon, brown and white sugar, and juicy.

B5H4MT.jpg

HMGRRA.jpg

I have some dried apricots and will be making fried pies with them before long.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have some dried apricots and will be making fried pies with them before long.

You are an industrious lady.

Allan

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I set the alarm for 05.45 this morning to shoot the sunrise.  When it went off I hit the 'stop', then turned over and went back to sleep.  Bugger!

It was much too cold to be out early this morning, you were best off staying in bed!!

A flurry of snow here this morning but it didn’t settle.

31 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

It was much too cold to be out early this morning, you were best off staying in bed!!

A flurry of snow here this morning but it didn’t settle.

No snow here unfortunately.  I’m going to try again tomorrow for a sunrise!

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I set the alarm for 05.45 this morning to shoot the sunrise.  When it went off I hit the 'stop', then turned over and went back to sleep.  Bugger!

Darn I was awake early this morning and if I had known you wanted to be out early could have given you a shake.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic