Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

You are definitely speaking a foreign language. I do have a "thingy" that goes between my TV and the Cable box because it is an analog set. Works.

 

Paulette

Once upon a time you could buy a gadget that allowed the use of a laptop as a TV. We used one in our touring caravan for years. It doesn't work with our new laptop and I can't find a replacement. People use satellite dishes these days, but we would struggle to find room for one in our tiny van, while campsite WiFi rarely has enough bandwidth to enable a person to watch TV digitally. I guess that we could buy a mini TV but that wouldn't double as a computer. Could we live with a smartphone for internet access, possibly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paulette, we had a Zenith TV until about 5-6 years ago. The color was perfect, skin tones beautiful. I always thought Zenith was the cream of the crop. I think we had it about 25 years. Also a piece of furniture.

I have to admit though, when we got our 55” flatscreen, the picture seemed to leap out. It’s particularly good for sports.  Since I’m big-time into college football, I love it.  That one is downstairs, and I have a 60” one upstairs since 2 years ago.

See...when the tornadoes come and Toto is whirling overhead in the sky, Echo and I will be huddling in the basement watching the weather, and Toto flying by. I might even see the Tin Man. I’m sure that will be storm-chaser video-worthy.

Speaking of storms...Norman, Oklahoma, home of the National Weather Bureau, and home to my football team, the Sooners, had a mega hailstorm last week. One car dealership (Honda) with many rows of cars outside, is a total loss. Not a windshield (windscreen) front or back was left intact, and the bodies pockmarked all to heck.  We drove to Norman for football games a lot. Just south of OKC 30-40 minutes drive time from where we lived.

Here comes the roofing shysters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My bad thing. Carrying on with the computer fiasco, I’ve been gathering my tax info. Some of it isn’t sent to me by mail anymore, but sent to my computer now, and I have to print it out.

One important form wasn’t printing in proper word form. Instructions on their site said a lot of people were getting little black boxes when they tried to print. Me, too. I even downloaded Adobe reader per their instructions. I can’t begin to say how much paper I wasted trying different things. Then I ran out of ink.

I called them and told them to email it straight to my CPA in a readable, printable form.

I still need my printer for other parts of this tax process, so I went to a shop to buy an ink cartridge. There were many cartridge gaps (Covid related) and they didn’t have what I needed. I had to drive 20 minutes south to finally find it. I should have had it all done today. I think a lot of businesses just trying to stay afloat weren’t placing the orders they needed, since there were few customers. I have an idea that's pretty widespread. I went to an upscale nursery to buy my tomato plants because I wanted the bigger ones.  All they had were smalls in tiny pots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My bad thing. Carrying on with the computer fiasco, I’ve been gathering my tax info. Some of it isn’t sent to me by mail anymore, but sent to my computer now, and I have to print it out.

One important form wasn’t printing in proper word form. Instructions on their site said a lot of people were getting little black boxes when they tried to print. Me, too. I even downloaded Adobe reader per their instructions. I can’t begin to say how much paper I wasted trying different things. Then I ran out of ink.

I called them and told them to email it straight to my CPA in a readable, printable form.

I still need my printer for other parts of this tax process, so I went to a shop to buy an ink cartridge. There were many cartridge gaps (Covid related) and they didn’t have what I needed. I had to drive 20 minutes south to finally find it. I should have had it all done today. I think a lot of businesses just trying to stay afloat weren’t placing the orders they needed, since there were few customers. I have an idea that's pretty widespread. I went to an upscale nursery to buy my tomato plants because I wanted the bigger ones.  All they had were smalls in tiny pots.

 

Betty, I struggle with the constant request from banks and credit card institutions who are always after me to go paperless.  I am an environmentalist at heart and always want to do the right thing for our planet but I need printed documents for my business records and taxes and so if they are not printing them, then I am.  I would rather that they print them but suppose then that they have to be mailed and that is more paper and more energy being used to get them to me.   I know I'm old school that way and I know my kids would much rather do everything electronically.  I am not even sure my daughter has ever used a checkbook.  Anyway, I get your frustration for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Betty, I struggle with the constant request from banks and credit card institutions who are always after me to go paperless.  I am an environmentalist at heart and always want to do the right thing for our planet but I need printed documents for my business records and taxes and so if they are not printing them, then I am.  I would rather that they print them but suppose then that they have to be mailed and that is more paper and more energy being used to get them to me.   I know I'm old school that way and I know my kids would much rather do everything electronically.  I am not even sure my daughter has ever used a checkbook.  Anyway, I get your frustration for sure.

Our tax system hasn't required paper for years. I have my last paper tax return from 2004- I have it because although it was posted to me, I filled in the actual return online, as I have every year since.

Inside it is the unused return envelope.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Our tax system hasn't required paper for years. I have my last paper tax return from 2004- I have it because although it was posted to me, I filled in the actual return online, as I have every year since.

Inside it is the unused return envelope.

 

Same here.  Been filing electronically for years....it is how I do my own internal accounting.  I'm the problem.  I enter all my paper receipts into an Excel spread sheet and go thru all the paper statements for all the other information.  I just like to have printed physical copies of things that I can easily refer to....but I like I said, I am old school that way.  I'm a visual person who feels comfortable with physical things in my hands to point to and file away.  Dumb, I know, the next generation will be better until their computers crash 😃

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friend called this morning to say that one of the neighbors across the street on her block, in a family that hadn't been wearing masks, died of Covid.   My friend had been wondering why the health teams had been checking on her twice recently.   Our helper is cutting dog walks back to one a day (we both have space where dogs can relieve themselves if they don't get out on walks) since the late afternoon buses to his country neighborhood are crowded and people aren't wearing masks. 

 

Otherwise, see Good Thing that happened...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I just got my shoes resoled and it's been raining a lot. And I was in the new bit of Reading Station earlier with the really slippery tiled flooring that everyone had walked water onto... So one minute I'm walking along, next second both feet had gone from under me and I landed flat on my back. I've now reached the age where people gather round and ask if I'm alright rather than laughing, which was nice. Good news, my backpack took a lot of the brunt of the fall. Bad news, I can't get my display or viewfinder to work on my A7iii. Going to try and hook it up to my laptop and see if I can do something when I get home. Otherwise got to send it off for repair...😭😖
 

Edited by Steve F
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

So I just got my shoes resoled and it's been raining a lot. And I was in the new bit of Reading Station earlier with the really slippery tiled flooring that everyone had walked water onto... So one minute I'm walking along, next second both feet had gone from under me and I landed flat on my back. I've now reached the age where people gather round and ask if I'm alright rather than laughing, which was nice. Good news, my backpack took a lot of the brunt of the fall. Bad news, I can't get my display or viewfinder to work on my A7iii. Going to try and hook it up to my laptop and see if I can do something when I get home. Otherwise got to send it off for repair...😭😖
 

 

In a way it was very lucky for you that the backpack took the brunt of the fall as you could have had a nasty bump on the bonce.

 

Allan

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

 

In a way it was very lucky for you that the backpack took the brunt of the fall as you could have had a nasty bump on the bonce.

 

Allan

 

 

That's true Allan! I'm not sure I didn't, it literally happened that fast, I flipped backwards. But I think the backpack did a good job too, was lucky because I normally carry a shoulder bag. Feeling a lot calmer after a couple of drinks...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

 

That's true Allan! I'm not sure I didn't, it literally happened that fast, I flipped backwards. But I think the backpack did a good job too, was lucky because I normally carry a shoulder bag. Feeling a lot calmer after a couple of drinks...!

So.......are you going to sue Network Rail or your cobbler....?;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

So I just got my shoes resoled and it's been raining a lot. And I was in the new bit of Reading Station earlier with the really slippery tiled flooring that everyone had walked water onto... So one minute I'm walking along, next second both feet had gone from under me and I landed flat on my back. I've now reached the age where people gather round and ask if I'm alright rather than laughing, which was nice. Good news, my backpack took a lot of the brunt of the fall. Bad news, I can't get my display or viewfinder to work on my A7iii. Going to try and hook it up to my laptop and see if I can do something when I get home. Otherwise got to send it off for repair...😭😖
 

 

Sorry to hear about the damage to the A7iii, hoping the damage isn't too bad.  On the other hand you weren't seriously injured. It's a horrible feeling when you feel yourself falling helplessly backwards. That happened to me long ago, but not forgotten. I was on a Somerset beach, and went over backwards when crossing rocks covered with slime, seaweed and mud. My backpack saved me from more serious injury. It contained a very solid folded up metal Toyo 45a and all my large format kit, including a heavy duty tripod, all that survived, but I ripped a fairly new Berghaus jacket and bruised my ribs which was painful. Even turning the key in my car lock caused agonising twinges.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

So I just got my shoes resoled and it's been raining a lot. And I was in the new bit of Reading Station earlier with the really slippery tiled flooring that everyone had walked water onto... So one minute I'm walking along, next second both feet had gone from under me and I landed flat on my back. I've now reached the age where people gather round and ask if I'm alright rather than laughing, which was nice. Good news, my backpack took a lot of the brunt of the fall. Bad news, I can't get my display or viewfinder to work on my A7iii. Going to try and hook it up to my laptop and see if I can do something when I get home. Otherwise got to send it off for repair...😭😖
 

 

Scary, especially afterwards as it happens so quickly. Glad you're OK, it could have been nasty. Here in Oz, we have a State Premier who slipped in his shower. He had broken ribs, damaged spine and was in intensive care. He hasn't been to work for months. A camera repair might be a small price to pay for not beeing injured? Not saying it's good news of course, I would feel very upset. Take care. 

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2021 at 18:37, spacecadet said:

So.......are you going to sue Network Rail or your cobbler....?;)

 

Well, the Timpson's soles are very hard, but those wet floors were lethal. The architect has picked an indoor tile for what is essentially an outside area...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2021 at 19:09, sb photos said:

 

Sorry to hear about the damage to the A7iii, hoping the damage isn't too bad.  On the other hand you weren't seriously injured. It's a horrible feeling when you feel yourself falling helplessly backwards. That happened to me long ago, but not forgotten. I was on a Somerset beach, and went over backwards when crossing rocks covered with slime, seaweed and mud. My backpack saved me from more serious injury. It contained a very solid folded up metal Toyo 45a and all my large format kit, including a heavy duty tripod, all that survived, but I ripped a fairly new Berghaus jacket and bruised my ribs which was painful. Even turning the key in my car lock caused agonising twinges.

 

I think we've just found another legitimate reason for wearing camera backpacks! But maybe I need another bag to protect my camera.... 🤔 I am feeling lucky actually. I've had worse ice skating and skiing, but you don't expect this when you're walking along on the flat!!

 

Lucky all your kit survived!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2021 at 21:02, gvallee said:

 

Scary, especially afterwards as it happens so quickly. Glad you're OK, it could have been nasty. Here in Oz, we have a State Premier who slipped in his shower. He had broken ribs, damaged spine and was in intensive care. He hasn't been to work for months. A camera repair might be a small price to pay for not beeing injured? Not saying it's good news of course, I would feel very upset. Take care. 

 

Wow Gen,

Now I'm feeling REALLY lucky!! I do know people that have broken arms falling over backwards. I guess that is the right perspective to have. Even my wife is not annoyed I need to get the camera fixed as long as I'm alright..... I'm resigned to it now, just an extra expense I could do without. Trying not to contemplate that it might not be fixable or that I might have to get a new one.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sally R said:

 

Glad you are ok Steve, but feel for you re: the A7iii 😢   If you do have to send it off for repair, do you have another Alamy-accepted camera you can use in the meantime? I thought that might at least lift your spirits if you can still get out and do some photography.

 

About three years ago I was photographing pelicans at a beach. I walked over an area of rock I didn't realise was slippery and went for a fall. The telephoto lens I had on the camera is my most expensive lens. So I awkwardly kept it raised up as I fell, leading me to fall more awkwardly. I ended up badly straining, but fortunately not tearing, the medial collateral ligament in my right knee. My knee is better now, but I realised afterwards that my knee and body are really more important than the camera gear. So having a body to still walk around and take photos is better than having a broken camera or lens, but I totally get how sad and frustrating it is for us as photographers if our gear gets damaged 😞

 

Hi Sally, thanks! No, I sold the shirt off my back to buy this camera and the lenses, my only other camera is a Minolta XG-1 that takes film and never sees the light of day anymore.... I might be relegated to keywording the images I've had in AIM for years that I've never got around to putting on sale... 😢

 

I appreciate the replies and perspectives from everyone, definitely better not to have a long term injury at the loss of a camera or lens....

 

I can imagine how it felt when you started falling, it's a bit like holding a baby! Glad your knee is better now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your accident Steve. Not a lot to do now except pick up the pieces as best you can and move on. With that in mind, I would recommend contacting Fixation in London (near Vauxhall Bridge) about repairs as they are very trustworthy and are now an authorised Sony repairer. I have never had a crazy quote or ever felt that I was being taken for a ride when I have used them so they have always been my first stop if I ever need anything repaired. I won't give the details of my mishaps over the years. Best of luck.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

Sorry to hear about your accident Steve. Not a lot to do now except pick up the pieces as best you can and move on. With that in mind, I would recommend contacting Fixation in London (near Vauxhall Bridge) about repairs as they are very trustworthy and are now an authorised Sony repairer. I have never had a crazy quote or ever felt that I was being taken for a ride when I have used them so they have always been my first stop if I ever need anything repaired. I won't give the details of my mishaps over the years. Best of luck.

 

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for the tip, will check them out. Do you take your camera / lens in personally for repair or do you post it?

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Steve F said:

 

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for the tip, will check them out. Do you take your camera / lens in personally for repair or do you post it?

Steve

 

I prefer to hand in and collect it as well. I am only 45 mins from London on the East Coast Line and if I travel off-peak it is too bad for a day return with tube. I should say my last trip to London was before the pandemic. I don't know if you need to make an appointment now. It used to be you just drop in, including sensor cleans.  Check the website before you go. They are very accommodating. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MDM said:

 

I prefer to hand in and collect it as well. I am only 45 mins from London on the East Coast Line and if I travel off-peak it is too bad for a day return with tube. I should say my last trip to London was before the pandemic. I don't know if you need to make an appointment now. It used to be you just drop in, including sensor cleans.  Check the website before you go. They are very accommodating. 

 

Thanks a lot, I see they're listed on the Sony website as well. Sounds like I'm going to take a day trip! 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Steve F said:

 

Thanks a lot, I see they're listed on the Sony website as well. Sounds like I'm going to take a day trip! 👍

 

Don't mention it. Hopefully there is no serious damage. A day trip into London sounds good - one of these days I must do it myself although there was some mega disruption recently with LNER due to cracks in the new high speed trains. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MDM said:

 

Don't mention it. Hopefully there is no serious damage. A day trip into London sounds good - one of these days I must do it myself although there was some mega disruption recently with LNER due to cracks in the new high speed trains. 

 

Fingers crossed for the damage. Hopefully the cracks were due to a poor batch of materials and not a design flaw, could be an expensive mistake!

 

Except normally I'd 'document' my day trip to London, oh well...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sally R's accident reminds me of one I had on Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef. I was shooting near the waterline, and I stepped out on a flat stone that had a covering of dry sand. The top of the sand was dry, but under that it was wet. My feet went out from under me and my head hit the stone and knocked me out for a moment. 

 

For a long time now, I wear nothing but New Balance or Skechers trainers (running shoes). They've never slipped on a surface, wet or dry. 

 

I can only recall dressing formally for one photography-related interview. That was to see Consuelo Crespi with the Italian Vogue. I didn't get the job.

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.