Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

In which case I apologise, I went by the address.

Why do you think he calls himself COLBLIMP.

Allan

• Love 1

I made a large and very tasty salad for lunch, but as I was putting away the dressing and unused veggies I bumped a refrigerator door shelf, knocking a jar of dill pickles onto the floor. Because the shelf was pretty low, the glass didn’t scatter too much, but the pickle brine made a bee line across my kitchen floor and under my pantry door. I’ve partially cleaned up the mess, but decided to sit down and enjoy my salad before dealing with the rest of the damage. Of course, I wasn’t wearing shoes when it happened, so feel lucky my feet weren’t cut. 

6 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I made a large and very tasty salad for lunch, but as I was putting away the dressing and unused veggies I bumped a refrigerator door shelf, knocking a jar of dill pickles onto the floor. Because the shelf was pretty low, the glass didn’t scatter too much, but the pickle brine made a bee line across my kitchen floor and under my pantry door. I’ve partially cleaned up the mess, but decided to sit down and enjoy my salad before dealing with the rest of the damage. Of course, I wasn’t wearing shoes when it happened, so feel lucky my feet weren’t cut. 

Sounds like a few of my mishaps. That's about the only times I lose my temper. Glad your feet are intact. 😟

• Love 1

On 13/04/2021 at 07:26, Thyrsis said:

Haha, ditto!

We lost several broad bean plants to earlier frosts but the rest are doing okay now, as are the onions and garlic. Spuds are in but not showing yet. 

Likewise the broad beans, but those I sowed later have almost caught up. Spuds still under the soil, thankfully. Peas, parsnip and beetroot under way and OK outdoors.

The forked tongued weather person is predicting a break in the frosty weather, hopefully for the rest of the spring.  Planted up four hanging baskets with trailing petunias, they will stay in the greenhouse for now.  Hoping to plant some of the greenhouse tomatoes shortly.

%!$#😤💩 ☠️ Grrr...

I did mention in another thread that we won a $200 voucher to spend on a tourist attraction in Cairns. We chose the helicopter scenic flight over Arlington Reef and Green Island.

From previous experience, I wore black clothes to avoid reflections on the heli windscreen and windows. 3 choppers were to leave at the same time. One got a check warning light and had to return to base. Ours left on time.

While we were waiting, I had been anxiously watching the weather deteriorate. While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off. The pilot pointed at Green Island and joked 'looks like rain over there, never mind it will wash the chopper'. Noooooo!!! I could picture myself cloning every raindrop on the windscreen. Luckily it didn't rain but the light was totally flat and did not bring out the turquoise colour of the reef. A total flop. It will take all my Photoshop skills to rescue a handful of pix, if any. For sure, the dehaze filter will be my friend plus a few other tricks. Sigh.....

👿👿

Edited by gvallee

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

%!$#😤💩 ☠️ Grrr...

I did mention in another thread that we won a $200 voucher to spend on a tourist attraction in Cairns. We chose the helicopter scenic flight over Arlington Reef and Green Island.

From previous experience, I wore black clothes to avoid reflections on the heli wind screen and windows. 3 choppers were to leave at the same time. One got a check warning light and had to return to base. Ours left on time.

While we were waiting, I had been anxiously watching the weather deteriorate. While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off. The pilot pointed at Green Island and joked 'looks like rain over there, never mind it will wash the chopper'. Noooooo!!! I could picture myself cloning every raindrop on the windscreen. Luckily it didn't rain but the light was totally flat and did not bring out the turquoise colour of the reef. A total flop. It will take all my Photoshop skills to rescue a handful, if any. For sure, the dehaze filter will be my friend plus a few other tricks. Sigh.....

👿👿

Sorry to hear that Gen, the photography gods were not smiling down on you. Hopefully you get some moody shots....

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Sorry to hear that Gen, the photography gods were not smiling down on you. Hopefully you get some moody shots....

Thanks Steve. OK, after looooots of editing, here are the results. 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222743697974702

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Hmmmm.... water still looks amazing. Sky is quite flat and hard to liven up with that light, you're right... But if we had a 'blue' theme competition, they'd totally win!!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Hmmmm.... water still looks amazing. Sky is quite flat and hard to liven up with that light, you're right... But if we had a 'blue' theme competition, they'd totally win!!

I used the dehaze filter first, then Nik Color Efex Pro to get tonal contrast and more punchy colours, combined with details extractor sometimes. You would not believe the raw files. It was quite disheartening. I toyed with the idea of the sky replacement tool but I do not feel it's right to use it in that context. That's the way it was, get on with it I said to myself.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

While it was sunny with a perfect blue sky and white fluffy clouds half an hour before, it was almost totally overcast when we took off.

That's the main reason I dont live in the suburbs and ride a bus into town. With the unpredictable, ever-changing weather in the UK, the bus ride going in and coming back might be sunny but who knows what I'll find in the centre. I need to walk out and snap away in interesting light for the next half hour or so. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's the main reason I dont live in the suburbs and ride a bus into town. With the unpredictable, ever-changing weather in the UK, the bus ride going in and coming back might be sunny but who knows what I'll find in the centre. I need to walk out and snap away in interesting light for the next half hour or so. 

When I arrived in the UK in 1985, I was quite unfamiliar with rapid changing weather patterns. I would leave to go to work at 8am wearing short sleeves, only to rush to a shop freezing by 10am to buy a cardigan. To be honest, here in Cairns, it's not the end of the wet season yet. Weather should improve by the end of the month.

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Looks like you did a great salvaging day!  It would be fun to see one or two of those photos before your editing.

I was living in Woodstock, Oxfordshire in '85. I didn't see you, Gen. And I've been on a Cairns chopper coming and going from Barrier Riff islands on my PanAm shoot. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Looks like you did a great salvaging day!  It would be fun to see one or two of those photos before your editing.

I always have trouble trying sharing files not on Alamy. I uploaded the NEF file to Dropbox but I don't know why it's gone very dark.

So here is a before and after edit comparison.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd7suwcsgee8n9f/Comparison.jpg?dl=0

Note: the edits I showed before are only quick ones for Facebook. I never bother too much about quality there. They're definitely not for Alamy as is.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

Tested covid positive yesterday !!  😧

Three covid tests this last week (work related and UK Government/NHS requirements). Friday's test (PCR) came back positive, so now got to isolate for 10 days at home 🥴

Did a 26 mile cycle ride earlier today, up and down the Cotswold Edge (steep hills),...felt fine. Then had that phone call....

Bit of a bummer !

2 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Three covid tests this last week (work related and UK Government/NHS requirements). Friday's test (PCR) came back positive, so now got to isolate for 10 days at home 🥴

Did a 26 mile cycle ride earlier today, up and down the Cotswold Edge (steep hills),...felt fine. Then had that phone call....

Bit of a bummer !

Oh no! Take it easy, rest and let us know how you're doing. All the best.

Just now, gvallee said:

Oh no! Take it easy, rest and let us know how you're doing. All the best.

Thank you.

I have no symptoms, and have had one vaccine jab so far (AZ-Oxford jab), about 7 weeks ago.

The PCR tests are supposed to be quite accurate, but not 100%. Hopefully it's a false reading, but I shall be isolating as required and to be safe.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Check out Tom Wood and his photographs shooting thru the window of buses as he travelled around Liverpool.

He has worked extensively as a street photographer in Merseyside.

He became known as 'Photie Man' in your adopted home city.

9 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Check out Tom Wood and his photographs shooting thru the window of buses as he travelled around Liverpool.

He has worked extensively as a street photographer in Merseyside.

He became known as 'Photie Man' in your adopted home city.

To take photos from any bus in this area you need window wipers on the inside and outside to clean them before you can take them.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

9 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Bit of a bummer !

Well done for isolating!!

• Love 1

My first trip this year into nearby Oxford to shoot their Kill the Bill protest. Went to park in an area I've used before without resident parking that was an acceptable walk from the  City centre only to find it was now residents only parking. In the past before Covid I always used the park and ride, but I didn't fancy it currently. Luckily found a spot with parking after 1pm. My other choice would have been metered parking, but that's only limited to 3 hours. Then I had to contend with harsh contrasty lighting and breathing double masked, but all ended well.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

To take photos from any bus in this area you need window wipers on the inside and outside to clean them before you can take them.

Allan

I know what you mean.

Need to clean the seats as well !

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

My first trip this year into nearby Oxford to shoot their Kill the Bill protest. Went to park in an area I've used before without resident parking that was an acceptable walk from the  City centre only to find it was now residents only parking. In the past before Covid I always used the park and ride, but I didn't fancy it currently. Luckily found a spot with parking after 1pm. My other choice would have been metered parking, but that's only limited to 3 hours. Then I had to contend with harsh contrasty lighting and breathing double masked, but all ended well.

There is practically nowhere in Oxford now with free parking, and lots of unhappy residents who now need permits! Luckily I can get a bus in from almost outside my front door, takes about 10 minutes traffic willing. The buses  are pretty empty but the  city centre  is quite crowded, even on a week day. And there are a lot of tourists who have presumably flown in to the UK which surprised me. I didn’t stay very long! 

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

There is practically nowhere in Oxford now with free parking, and lots of unhappy residents who now need permits! Luckily I can get a bus in from almost outside my front door, takes about 10 minutes traffic willing. The buses  are pretty empty but the  city centre  is quite crowded, even on a week day. And there are a lot of tourists who have presumably flown in to the UK which surprised me. I didn’t stay very long! 

Good to hear buses from your village are pretty empty. Yesterday Oxford was bearable by weaving about, and sometimes waiting for narrower areas to clear, a bit like moving around in a supermarket. I left Oxford via the Cowley Road, and was surprised how busy it was, during 2020 walking it was acceptable, glad I didn't park off off it and walk down it. Yesterday it was as if the Covid Pandemic had never happened. The busiest I'd ever seen Oxford's Cowley Road was during the 2019 carnival, picture at https://www.cowleyroadworks.org/carnival-gallery-2019/ then scroll down 25 rows and click on the second image from the left. I shot it with a D750 and 24-70 held high on a monopod.

• Alamy locked this topic