Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I grew up in a house, Betty and all. That was in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn and then in Woodley Rd, DC. It's been apartment living since I left home at age 19. 

And we were lucky at that age to not be responsible for repairs.

Bright but perishing cold outside, the pond is frozen over and the wind howling.  Weirdly it snowed over Sunday night but the pond did not freeze then, must have been colder yesterday.  Hope the, thankfully outdoor, tomatoes in the greenhouse will be OK.  Indoors, the window ledges are bursting with plants wanting to be free.

And, I want to plant stuff out in the allotment, but it will have to wait. 😒

19 hours ago, Colblimp said:

No snow here unfortunately.  I’m going to try again tomorrow for a sunrise!

Sunrise is much harder to nail than sunset; it disappears quickly. I do enjoy shooting at early light though. Here's the view out the window of my friend's loft in Brooklyn where I stayed right after the fire.

M9DMF1.jpg

MEPCNB.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sunrise is much harder to nail than sunset; it disappears quickly. I do enjoy shooting at early light though. Here's the view out the window of my friend's loft in Brooklyn where I stayed right after the fire.

M9DMF1.jpg

MEPCNB.jpg

There's a load of locations for sunrise within an hour's drive from me.  Here's this morning's effort

2f7ayyr.jpg
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Our summers are so harsh that it is often necessary to protect growing veggies with some kind of shade cloth so they don't burn and die!

No harsh summers here, but we have a small (6'6" square) glasshouse at the allotment in which it is very difficult to control the temperature, despite using an automatic roof vent. Brassica seedlings can't stand the heat in there while most other stuff flourishes. We have a relatively short growing season, so late spring frosts are a problem.  But then, farmers and gardeners are rarely happy with the weather 😉 - Talking of which we could do with a drop or two of heavy rain.....

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

No harsh summers here, but we have a small (6'6" square) glasshouse at the allotment in which it is very difficult to control the temperature, despite using an automatic roof vent. Brassica seedlings can't stand the heat in there while most other stuff flourishes. We have a relatively short growing season, so late spring frosts are a problem.  But then, farmers and gardeners are rarely happy with the weather 😉 - Talking of which we could do with a drop or two of heavy rain.....

And it’s 9am here, and I’m listening to thunder from a small line of rain. The big one comes tonight with a possibility of severe storms. It will soon be safe to set out tomatoes again. That is, safe from freeze but maybe not from hail.

Two refunds (same buyer) today for mid $$ each 😒😒

Update: One more refund was added just now, so three refunds from the same client (same price).  Not a good Alamy day for me.

Edited by Michael Ventura

Only one for me:

Duration: In perpetuity ; Additional Details: Multiple re-use in any and all Benchmark Education editorial products globally per the terms set forth in Asset License Agreement dated December 10, 2019. Out-of-context advertising/promo use excluded.

wim

edit: mine came back as a sale today (Friday)

Edited by wiskerke

Just tried to purchase a few USB-C / USB3 memory sticks to use for macOS installers and the PayPal page went no further. Same on phone and MBP, so checked service status - Checkout Service Disruption! Drat!

Edit: a few hours later all was well and payment went through.

Edited by sb photos

On 06/04/2021 at 09:54, Colblimp said:

There's a load of locations for sunrise within an hour's drive from me.  Here's this morning's effort

2f7ayyr.jpg

A great sunrise. I must admit to preferring sunsets. Not because I don't like rising early, but as quite often when the sun drops down over the horizon it lights up the low cloud above and can be spectacular. I was once shooting a sunset on a beach close to St Just when about 20 club photographers arrived to shoot the sunset, then disappeared just before the sky lit up. I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

8 hours ago, sb photos said:

I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

In the last couple of years I started using filters for the first time ever...initially 3 & 6 stop ND as I wanted to just slow shutter speeds down, then I did get a couple of grads, 3 stop, 1 soft, 1 hard. I use them sparingly but glad I started.

Phil

36 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

In the last couple of years I started using filters for the first time ever...initially 3 & 6 stop ND as I wanted to just slow shutter speeds down, then I did get a couple of grads, 3 stop, 1 soft, 1 hard. I use them sparingly but glad I started.

Phil

I used ND filters a few years ago, but stopped using them now due to the faff of not only having to carry a tripod, but also setting up the filters (I have a universal system that fits to different lens diameters). You can take multiple exposures with the tripod and then combine images in Photoshop, but I generally just use the graduated filter tool in LR.

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

A great sunrise. I must admit to preferring sunsets. Not because I don't like rising early, but as quite often when the sun drops down over the horizon it lights up the low cloud above and can be spectacular. I was once shooting a sunset on a beach close to St Just when about 20 club photographers arrived to shoot the sunset, then disappeared just before the sky lit up. I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

Thanks, it was a nice morning.  I don't use filters - I just don't have time as a press tog.

1 hour ago, David Pimborough said:

I broke my favourite tea mug today I had it for 20 years :(

Oddly painful that. 

I had a prize elegant cup and saucer that was given to me by my wife's aunt we we wed. On our last day together, at breakfast, before leaving Rome and our marriage of 10 years, I dropped and broke the cup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I used ND filters a few years ago, but stopped using them now due to the faff of not only having to carry a tripod, but also setting up the filters 

Depends very much on what you're trying to achieve...Sometimes the faff is worth it!

There are situations when you cannot beat the results you get by setting up a tripod and slowing down your whole approach, and if a filter is part of that then so be it!

Phil

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oddly painful that. 

I had a prize elegant cup and saucer that was given to me by my wife's aunt we we wed. On our last day together, at breakfast, before leaving Rome and our marriage of 10 years, I dropped and broke the cup. 

You're a big heart.

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

I broke my favourite tea mug today I had it for 20 years :(

I had a favorite coffee mug that I broke. I found something similar online and bought two but they were never quite right. I broke them both and felt rather relieved. They had always disappointed me.

Paulette

21 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Two refunds (same buyer) today for mid $$ each 😒😒

Update: One more refund was added just now, so three refunds from the same client (same price).  Not a good Alamy day for me.

Mine came back as a sale today (Friday) so the client probably wants all images for one project on one bill. This is not unusual, and was explained many years ago by Alamy staff.

Sometimes it's done in the hope for a bigger discount. Not in this case: the fee is the same.

wim

29 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Mine came back as a sale today (Friday) so the client probably wants all images for one project on one bill. This is not unusual, and was explained many years ago by Alamy staff.

Sometimes it's done in the hope for a bigger discount. Not in this case: the fee is the same.

wim

Yep, the same for me.

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

He was and he did, David.

The Duke was not a perfect person but who among us is? 99 is a very long life. Most of it he spent in service to The Crown.

Thanks, Ed. it's appreciated.

I've pinned a Union flag to the front door for the duration.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic