Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

51 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Spring, Spring, where art thou, Spring.

A few days ago we were under snow and ice, my garden pond completely frozen over, but then a warm southerly wind sprung up. It melted all of the snow and it felt like spring, particularly as the first crocuses have appeared in the garden. We're not necessarily out of the woods yet, but it feels so much better. UK weather can be miserable with many overcast days and rain, and often dismal summers, but we rarely (actually probably never) see the extremes that you are facing. Not sure that I would want to swap !

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

A few days ago we were under snow and ice, my garden pond completely frozen over, but then a warm southerly wind sprung up. It melted all of the snow and it felt like spring, particularly as the first crocuses have appeared in the garden. 

Same down here, the pond and fountain were frozen for several days then the next day it was completely thawed and we spent a few happy hours gardening in the sunshine! 

frozen-garden-pond-and-fountain-S3DBWF.j

That's the kind of weather that usually happens around here. We may get an arctic blast that lasts for a few days, then a warmup happens. This polar front is very unusual. The last one I remember that went on so long was 1983. Even then, while it remained below freezing for around two weeks, I don’t remember single digit highs and 17 below at night. 
I guess I’ll have to wait another month or two to see which of my plantings have survived. I lost all of my hollies in ‘83. And this cold was deeper.

The one positive thing is daylight savings will begin some time in the first half of March. Stealing an hour of sunlight and tacking it on to the evening perks me up. I don’t know exactly why, but it does. There are rumblings in Kansas about making daylight savings hours permanent for year ‘round. But they’ve talked about it for years here and in Oklahoma and nothing has happened, yet. If it happens, each state will have to pass the law. It would be weird for one state to have it and the bordering state to not.

Had hoped to be able to visit grandbairns following yesterday's easing of the lockdown here, but it seems we will have to wait a while longer before we can travel longer distances or have family reunions. 

Thinking positive its been 2 weeks since my jab, so by the end of this week I may feel emboldened to visit the shops. First stop Wilco to buy some onion sets and bits and pieces for the allotment. That thought prompts me to say that Wilco is the new Woolworths in these parts, you can buy a handful of metal washers or nuts and bolts etc, or a selection of hand tools or electrical fittings. It's a shop that I actually enjoy entering !

• Love 1

Went food shopping at Tesco today. Forgot it was Sunday and had to stay in the store kicking my heals until tills opened at 10.00am. 20 minutes lost time.

That is three bad things.

Allan

On 23/02/2021 at 04:34, Bryan said:

Had hoped to be able to visit grandbairns following yesterday's easing of the lockdown here, but it seems we will have to wait a while longer before we can travel longer distances or have family reunions. 

Thinking positive its been 2 weeks since my jab, so by the end of this week I may feel emboldened to visit the shops. First stop Wilco to buy some onion sets and bits and pieces for the allotment. That thought prompts me to say that Wilco is the new Woolworths in these parts, you can buy a handful of metal washers or nuts and bolts etc, or a selection of hand tools or electrical fittings. It's a shop that I actually enjoy entering !

Wilco used to be a fav of mine where I used to live near Nottingham, remember buying a loaf of bread and a fishing reel at the same time.

Andy

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Wilco used to be a fav of mine where I used to live near Nottingham, remember buying a loaf of bread and a fishing reel at the same time.

Andy

A loaves and fishes thing then? Rings a bell.

13 hours ago, sb photos said:

So sorry to hear, our cats always become members of our family, and when their time comes it's heartbreaking.

Mine too. Had a few, but Molly is will always be my best bud. 2.2 pounds when I got her...always been a kitten.

I am staying up later and later as lockdown goes on and finding it very hard to resume a normal diurnal pattern. It's ok until I have to get up early like tomorrow morning when the gasman cometh to service the boiler. 

Earlier this morning a neighbours cat sneaked in through our back door and ran out with a fairly new catnip carrot. I later saw it rolling around and leaping in the air at the bottom of the garden with the catnip toy in it’s mouth, looking really out of it. I failed to get it back. Two other cats were close by waiting their turn. Now I need to pop into a local garden centre to buy another. At least the local cats were having a good time. Shame I didn’t get some photos of their antics.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Earlier this morning a neighbours cat sneaked in through our back door and ran out with a fairly new catnip carrot. I later saw it rolling around and leaping in the air at the bottom of the garden with the catnip toy in it’s mouth, looking really out of it. I failed to get it back. Two other cats were close by waiting their turn. Now I need to pop into a local garden centre to buy another. At least the local cats were having a good time. Shame I didn’t get some photos of their antics.

I bought a big bag of catnip on Am***n and made catnip toys out of fabric scraps. Daughter’s cats love them! 

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

You've got cat burglars then.🤪

Tumbleweed Silence GIF - Tumbleweed Silence GIFs

I'll get my coat.

Edited by spacecadet

• 3 weeks later...

Continued from the "good thing" thread.

They only brought the wrong machine. Not only was it just a washer (no drying), it was also an integrated washer (fitted appliance), and it was to large anyway to fit where my old free standing machine was placed.

Couldn't have got it more wrong if they had tried.🤬

Allan

At least they took the old machine away. They got that bit right.

ITMA

First time in a supermarket today as we've been getting deliveries.
There's a big sign outside telling people to wear their masks properly but I saw 3 customers and one member of staff wandering around with masks only covering their mouths and I was straight in and out so I dare say there were many more doing the same.
I've become more of a grumpy old man since lockdown!

AND, I should have shot the sign for stock doh!

3 hours ago, mickfly said:

First time in a supermarket today as we've been getting deliveries.
There's a big sign outside telling people to wear their masks properly but I saw 3 customers and one member of staff wandering around with masks only covering their mouths and I was straight in and out so I dare say there were many more doing the same.
I've become more of a grumpy old man since lockdown!

AND, I should have shot the sign for stock doh!

At the risk of being crude ...

Wearing a mask as a chin-sling is the equivalent of wearing a condom on your scrotum and hoping no one gets pregnant.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, K J Bennett said:

At the risk of being crude ...

Wearing a mask as a chin-sling is the equivalent of wearing a condom on your scrotum and hoping no one gets pregnant.  

Hahaha. Brilliant. I must remember that next time I confront a chin-slinger. Last time I travelled by plane, back in the autumn, I was amazed at how many people were wearing masks not covering their noses both in the airport and on the plane. I did gently confront a few people who were near me in queues and on the plane and they did pull up their masks and were embarrassed more than anything but it is a somewhat precarious thing to do as the reaction could be mask rage. 

I think those who object or neglect to wear masks in enclosed spaces (aside from those who can't do so for medical reasons) should be treated with the same disdain as those who drink drive. They are a potentially serious threat to the safety of others. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I think those who object or neglect to wear masks in enclosed spaces (aside from those who can't do so for medical reasons) should be treated with the same disdain as those who drink drive. They are a potentially serious threat to the safety of others. 

BBC World app had a video of a woman in Texas being arrested for not leaving when she was told to leave because the bank required masks to enter.  Texas allows private enterprises to set their own rule, just isn't now requiring masking at large. 

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

BBC World app had a video of a woman in Texas being arrested for not leaving when she was told to leave because the bank required masks to enter.  Texas allows private enterprises to set their own rule, just isn't now requiring masking at large. 

I don't think the police are getting involved in general with people refusing to wear masks on public transport and in shops in England, even though it is illegal with some exceptions not to do so. There are simply not enough police to deal with this type of crime. But anyone who cares about society and even about their own health should not need enforcement to do the right thing. Spout nonsense about their human rights while simultaneously possibly spraying potentially lethal or seriously life altering virus at their fellow citizens. I saw a report this evening about how many bus drivers had died during the early stages of the pandemic and it is shocking. They were sent to work with no PPE whatsoever.

All the people who are keeping society ticking over (healthcare workers, police, teachers, bus drivers, shop workers and so on) and continuing to risk their health and possibly their lives deserve more than a small minority of idiots proclaiming that it is within their human rights to go maskless in confined spaces or whatever. For the most part I think the vast majority of people are doing the right thing though which is heartening. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, MDM said:

All the people who are keeping society ticking over (healthcare workers, police, teachers, bus drivers, shop workers and so on) and continuing to risk their health and possibly their lives deserve more than a small minority of idiots proclaiming that it is within their human rights to go maskless in confined spaces or whatever. For the most part I think the vast majority of people are doing the right thing though which is heartening. 

I often wonder what is wrong with sections of the human race, perhaps they were dropped on their heads as a baby. Contrasting the the idiots who wear their masks on their chin and wear narrow designer masks that don't cover their noses to others who unnecessarily wear masks when walking deserted roads or public footpaths. When doing the occasional small shop at quiet times I always avoid checkouts where the assistant isn't wearing a mask. They may have a valid health reason, but no mask still contributes to the spread of Covid-19 amongst staff and customers. Should supermarket staff who don't wear masks for health reasons work in customer facing positions?

Edited by sb photos

• Alamy locked this topic