Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

The first vet lanced it open to see if it would drain, but no pus, just blood.   Lola is ten years old and hadn't had any real health issues before now.  The lump isn't as bad as it was, but I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening with her. 

We had our first warm day yesterday and Jinoteganos switched from complaining about the cold to complaining about the heat (here ties with NYC for complaining about the weather).  Today is cold (for here) again, and cloudy with wet downwardly mobile mist, not enough to get anything wet.  So Jinoteganos are complaining about the cold, again.

My daughter’s dog’s cysts were pretty solid, but made up of fatty tissue.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bad, bad. An arctic cold front has descended and today’s high so far is 13F or -10.5C. There has been freezing mist and light snow since Saturday morning making everything very slick and driving dangerous. I had to cancel my physical therapy for today. I know how to drive on it but I don’t trust other drivers who inevitably drive too fast for the conditions.

The worst news is the arctic front is supposed to stay in place for two weeks or more. It’s supposed to get even colder. This is not the usual winter weather for Kansas.

if I wanted Minnesota weather I would have moved there.

Normally our weather is dominated by westerly winds which bring moist but warmish air from the Atlantic, but this week we've got cold easterlies, air chilled by crossing Siberia and northern Europe. This evening we had our Covid jabs and had to drive home through a blizzard, but the main roads are clear.  The temperatures here are hovering around 0 deg C, so balmy compared to what you are suffering. The forecasts are predicting a return to rather warmer conditions by the weekend. The days are getting longer, spring not too far away - I hope !

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bad, bad. An arctic cold front has descended and today’s high so far is 13F or -10.5C. There has been freezing mist and light snow since Saturday morning making everything very slick and driving dangerous. I had to cancel my physical therapy for today. I know how to drive on it but I don’t trust other drivers who inevitably drive too fast for the conditions.

The worst news is the arctic front is supposed to stay in place for two weeks or more. It’s supposed to get even colder. This is not the usual winter weather for Kansas.

if I wanted Minnesota weather I would have moved there.

I went to Kansas City in November -December back in the early 80s. It was bitterly cold for a few days (-10C) then it warmed up to a balmy 16C for a few days before it went back subzero. I wasn't dressed for that weather - I had no idea it would be so cold in America in November. The word Minnesota conjures up images of snow, ice and amazing accents (Fargo the movie and the series). 

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Normally our weather is dominated by westerly winds which bring moist but warmish air from the Atlantic, but this week we've got cold easterlies, air chilled by crossing Siberia and northern Europe. This evening we had our Covid jabs and had to drive home through a blizzard, but the main roads are clear.  The temperatures here are hovering around 0 deg C, so balmy compared to what you are suffering. The forecasts are predicting a return to rather warmer conditions by the weekend. The days are getting longer, spring not too far away - I hope !

This cold spell is nothing on the last Beast from the East but that one was in early March so it could happen again. Spring in 2013 was really late - it remained bitterly cold well into April I recall. But the longer days are very welcome. 

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, MDM said:

I went to Kansas City in November -December back in the early 80s. It was bitterly cold for a few days (-10C) then it warmed up to a balmy 16C for a few days before it went back subzero. I wasn't dressed for that weather - I had no idea it would be so cold in America in November. The word Minnesota conjures up images of snow, ice and amazing accents (Fargo the movie and the series). 

This cold spell is nothing on the last Beast from the East but that one was in early March so it could happen again. Spring in 2013 was really late - it remained bitterly cold well into April I recall. But the longer days are very welcome. 

I don’t know if your visit coincided with our last bitter cold snap in 1983. There were days of below freezing temperatures, maybe 2 weeks. Many shrubs were killed. I remember losing all of our hollys. There are plants that can withstand a few days of it, but not weeks.

This one we’re having now is the coldest since then. It’s fortunate if they only come around every 35-40 years.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t know if your visit coincided with our last bitter cold snap in 1983. There were days of below freezing temperatures, maybe 2 weeks. Many shrubs were killed. I remember losing all of our hollys. There are plants that can withstand a few days of it, but not weeks.

This one we’re having now is the coldest since then. It’s fortunate if they only come around every 35-40 years.

When our kids were well able to be left at home we started to visit Paris at around Xmas time. We had a couple of great trips, staying in a cheap hotel, with the weather noticeably warmer than at home, but on the third trip, January 2009,  the continental climate showed what it can do. I have photos of frozen fountains etc, it was bitterly cold, possibly the coldest I have encountered. I did get some saleable shots, but operating the camera was horrible. We passed on the experience the following year, which I think may have been even colder.

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It was 1980. I will never forget the date as I flew back to Ireland from New York on the day John Lennon was shot. I had been a huge Beatles and John Lennon fan so I was very shocked. 

It may not have been a really cold autumn or winter by American standards but eastern North America (the continent) is a lot colder in winter than western Europe at the same latitude and elevation. It’s down to the Gulf Stream (North Atlantic Circulation) in fact. That is why we generally get relatively mild and wet winters in comparison to eastern America. I was innocent and did not do my homework before travelling so I was not properly dressed for the cold. If I ever go again I will know better. The variation in temperature for the week or so I spent in Kansas City was strange for sure. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

It was 1980. I will never forget the date as I flew back to Ireland from New York on the day John Lennon was shot. I had been a huge Beatles and John Lennon fan so I was very shocked. 

It may not have been a really cold autumn or winter by American standards but eastern North America (the continent) is a lot colder in winter than western Europe at the same latitude and elevation. It’s down to the Gulf Stream (North Atlantic Circulation) in fact. That is why we generally get relatively mild and wet winters in comparison to eastern America. I was innocent and did not do my homework before travelling so I was not properly dressed for the cold. If I ever go again I will know better. The variation in temperature for the week or so I spent in Kansas City was strange for sure. 

The last day of loading furniture in Oklahoma City to move house, it was balmy weather at the end of February. Short-sleeve weather. By sunset, when my family pulled away from our sold house, it began spitting rain and turning sharply cooler with gusty wind. We had to drive 160 miles north to Wichita. Halfway here, it was sleeting and freezing rain, forming ice on everything. We got to my daughter’s house and ran through hail and sleet mixed, with thunder, some freezing rain. The next morning in Wichita, I drove on icy, frozen streets to close on our new (to us) house. About a 60 degree drop in temperature.(F)

That’s why we have tornadoes in this part of the country. Cold fronts meet warm moist air and causes all sorts of turbulence. That will be starting here in about 2 months. Our biggest storm (tornado) season is spring, we have a secondary one in the autumn, when usually the tornadoes are weaker. It’s coming up on two years since a hailstorm (the size of English walnuts and larger) caused all sorts of damage to my house. I had hail drifts three feet high.

31 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The last day of loading furniture in Oklahoma City to move house, it was balmy weather at the end of February. Short-sleeve weather. By sunset, when my family pulled away from our sold house, it began spitting rain and turning sharply cooler with gusty wind. We had to drive 160 miles north to Wichita. Halfway here, it was sleeting and freezing rain, forming ice on everything. We got to my daughter’s house and ran through hail and sleet mixed, with thunder, some freezing rain. The next morning in Wichita, I drove on icy, frozen streets to close on our new (to us) house. About a 60 degree drop in temperature.(F)

That’s why we have tornadoes in this part of the country. Cold fronts meet warm moist air and causes all sorts of turbulence. That will be starting here in about 2 months. Our biggest storm (tornado) season is spring, we have a secondary one in the autumn, when usually the tornadoes are weaker. It’s coming up on two years since a hailstorm (the size of English walnuts and larger) caused all sorts of damage to my house. I had hail drifts three feet high.

Sounds wild. I have read about and seen some amazing photos from the storm chaser guys. I would never be brave enough or crazy enough to try to photograph a tornado. We actually had one pass a hundred metres or so from our house back in the mid-2000s. I heard this roaring sound that laster a minute or two, had no idea what it was and read later it had been a tornado. It caused damage to some nearby property. Quite amazing that it was so localised. I never knew tornados occurred in England until then but apparently they are quite common - generally nothing like the Oklahoma ones though. 

33 minutes ago, MDM said:

Sounds wild. I have read about and seen some amazing photos from the storm chaser guys. I would never be brave enough or crazy enough to try to photograph a tornado. We actually had one pass a hundred metres or so from our house back in the mid-2000s. I heard this roaring sound that laster a minute or two, had no idea what it was and read later it had been a tornado. It caused damage to some nearby property. Quite amazing that it was so localised. I never knew tornados occurred in England until then but apparently they are quite common - generally nothing like the Oklahoma ones though. 

I went through one, it killed 20+ in my town and took the roof off our house. That was nighttime and I couldn’t see it, but heard the roar and saw hail the size of baseballs. Actually ran through the hail with a jacket held high over my head.

I’ve seen three tornadoes at a distance during the daytime. One was so humongous I thought it was a couple of miles away when it was 20 miles away. My yelling “Tornado!!” emptied my son’s little league ball field once I got someone up on the bleachers to see it. They thought I was a crazy woman at first. :lol: I felt like chicken little screaming the sky is falling. Once you’ve physically been through a tornado, you investigate dark ominous clouds. I saw the cloud, climbed up on the top bleacher seat to see over the trees, and there it was. It turned out to have a quarter of a mile wide funnel, (402 meters)but was in the countryside and just took out a few farm buildings.

I have a recurring nightmare where I’m in the countryside and every way I turn a tornado is coming toward me. I always wake up with a huge jerk. That’s what trauma causes.

Edited by Betty LaRue

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I went through one, it killed 20+ in my town and took the roof off our house. That was nighttime and I couldn’t see it, but heard the roar and saw hail the size of baseballs. Actually ran through the hail with a jacket held high over my head.

I’ve seen three tornadoes at a distance during the daytime. One was so humongous I thought it was a couple of miles away when it was 20 miles away. My yelling “Tornado!!” emptied my son’s little league ball field once I got someone up on the bleachers to see it. They thought I was a crazy woman at first. :lol: I felt like chicken little screaming the sky is falling. Once you’ve physically been through a tornado, you investigate dark ominous clouds. I saw the cloud, climbed up on the top bleacher seat to see over the trees, and there it was. It turned out to have a quarter of a mile wide funnel, (402 meters)but was in the countryside and just took out a few farm buildings.

I have a recurring nightmare where I’m in the countryside and every way I turn a tornado is coming toward me. I always wake up with a huge jerk. That’s what trauma causes.

My recurring dream at the moment is that I am somewhere indoors with other people. I have forgotten my face mask and they are not wearing any either. Not exactly nightmarish but it is funny how embedded the whole face mask thing has become in my unconscious mind. I had a dream yesterday where I asked this massive guy with facial and head tattoos why he was not wearing a mask and he started walking towards me in a very threatening manner. I woke up just before he reached me.  😀

Something about masks was in my dreams last night, too, but I can’t recall the details.

A couple of days ago I did a dumb thing and cut the end of my index finger with a razor. The cut isn’t deep, but it’s sore and bleeds if I don’t wear a bandage. Now I’m reminded how much I use and need this finger! 

3 hours ago, MDM said:

My recurring dream at the moment is that I am somewhere indoors with other people. I have forgotten my face mask and they are not wearing any either. Not exactly nightmarish but it is funny how embedded the whole face mask thing has become in my unconscious mind. I had a dream yesterday where I asked this massive guy with facial and head tattoos why he was not wearing a mask and he started walking towards me in a very threatening manner. I woke up just before he reached me.  😀

Our hidden thoughts, sometimes unconscious fears, do come out in dreams. That's probably a good thing.

Cecile, I know what you mean. You never know how many times a day you touch, press, or use a body part until it’s bruised, sore or cut.

It’s 12F right now and we’re having snow flurries. There is a sweet lady who lives across the street from me. She is 93 and looks a bit like my mother, who is deceased. This is the 4th icy morning. I put on my rubber boots, coat, gloves and put my cell phone in my pocket just in case I fall and break something, then walk across and get Ruth’s newspaper from the driveway and put it near her door every morning.

She was actually in better physical shape than I was (my back) until she broke her leg last year. She was a competitive swimmer in her youth, continued to swim for exercise, and was still working out with a personal trainer until her fall. I’d see her in her track suit, headphones on, striding out down the street until this past summer. I shared my tomato bounty with her while my plants were producing.

• Love 1

I mentioned in a thread somewhere a while ago that during my on-going trip, I often take pix of places just to show what they look like, nothing artistic, more like a record. I said that on two occasions, they licensed because something happened to them or at the location. One was a lake where someone drowned, the other a historic pub that was destroyed by fire. I said that I hoped I didn't bring bad luck to these places. It happened again today. It didn't sell (yet) but another historic pub was lost in a fire. Very sad. Here, here and here.

Edited by gvallee

Had to move the car out from under the carport yesterday so that a truck load of logs could be dumped under there. It was so cold and frosty  last night that the car is now a frozen solid lump sitting in the drive...just as well we’re not going anywhere!!

38 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Had to move the car out from under the carport yesterday so that a truck load of logs could be dumped under there. It was so cold and frosty  last night that the car is now a frozen solid lump sitting in the drive...just as well we’re not going anywhere!!

I'd have let the logs take their chances meself...........but then we have an Edwardian garage. With a car in it.

7 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I woke up this morning expecting a blanket of snow and sub-zero temps, as per forecast.  It's raining and windy.  So much for snow pics. 😡

The weather not being freezing is bad news? Tell that to my feet........

Edited by spacecadet

19 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'd have let the logs take their chances meself...........but then we have an Edwardian garage. With a car in it.

Trouble is, the log pile is under the carport along side the Honda S2000. The garage is full up with a TR6 and all the framing equipment and assorted junk etc.!

2 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Trouble is, the log pile is under the carport along side the Honda S2000. The garage is full up with a TR6 and all the framing equipment and assorted junk etc.!

Ah. Is the difference that the car in our garage can get in and out on its own?😀

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

I mentioned in a thread somewhere a while ago that during my on-going trip, I often take pix of places just to show what they look like, nothing artistic, more like a record. I said that on two occasions, they licensed because something happened to them or at the location. One was a lake where someone drowned, the other a historic pub that was destroyed by fire. I said that I hoped I didn't bring bad luck to these places. It happened again today. It didn't sell (yet) but another historic pub was lost in a fire. Very sad. Here, here and here.

None of my pictured pubs has caught fire fire, but I did sell one of a pub which got in the paper because of a tragic accident in an unauthorised pickled egg eating contest...

11 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

None of my pictured pubs has caught fire fire, but I did sell one of a pub which got in the paper because of a tragic accident in an unauthorised pickled egg eating contest...

Tears to the eyes..........🤩

5 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I always have a box of matches in my camera bag...

I was once instructed on how to make a Molotov cocktail. Right up to the last minute, I thought it was something I was supposed to drink. I even added a couple of olives. 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was once instructed on how to make a Molotov cocktail. Right up to the last minute, I thought it was something I was supposed to drink. I even added a couple of olives. 

Yes, well, Toxteth on a Friday night............

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic