Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I had surgery in Brisbane 2 days ago. I waited a long time for the appointment. I would have posted this in the 'good news' thread but what happened next? The first case of coronavirus community transmission in months, the UK variant strain to boot, just where my clinic was. Result: we're in lockdown, surprisingly only for 3 days but I don't believe for a second it won't be for longer. That's entirely the right thing to do, no gripes here, but what timing!! We always give big cities a wide berth.  I just hope I won't catch Covid because my op was on my nose and I won't be able to breathe properly for 2 weeks! And it's raining. 

ARGH! What can I say other than rotten luck. You have that Aussie grit from being in the country so long, so you’ll come out on top. I do hope you’ll be able to move out when you want to.
Right now, I look like I have the pox from having a few places frozen on my face. Even though I’ve used sunscreen religiously for years, my sun-worshiping teen years and very active outdoor lifestyle caught up with me with a few places unseen by the naked eye, but caught by the dermatologist.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

ARGH! What can I say other than rotten luck. You have that Aussie grit from being in the country so long, so you’ll come out on top. I do hope you’ll be able to move out when you want to.
Right now, I look like I have the pox from having a few places frozen on my face. Even though I’ve used sunscreen religiously for years, my sun-worshiping teen years and very active outdoor lifestyle caught up with me with a few places unseen by the naked eye, but caught by the dermatologist.

 

Thank you Betty. A motorhome is not the ideal place for a lockdown but we've been there before. The lockdown was totally unexpected, it was announced this morning, and starts at 6pm today, so there has been a rush to the supermarkets. Luckily, we have everything we need. Yes, including you-know-what 😂

 

I hope you feel better soon Betty.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

Thank you Betty. A motorhome is not the ideal place for a lockdown but we've been there before. The lockdown was totally unexpected, it was announced this morning, and starts at 6pm today, so there has been a rush to the supermarkets. Luckily, we have everything we need. Yes, including you-know-what 😂

 

I hope you feel better soon Betty.

Good you have plenty of you-know-what. You have to have a different kind for motor homes, so shouldn’t be much competition for it. Although hoarders would probably go for anything! 😁 Eat the corn, save the cob.:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief, Gen . . . but if we didn't have bad timing, we'd have no timing at all.

 

Hmm. Ignore that thought. It makes no sense at all. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, Gen . . . but if we didn't have bad timing, we'd have no timing at all.

 

Hmm. Ignore that thought. It makes no sense at all. 

 

Oh yes it does. In fact, I thrive on the unexpected, the unscheduled, the unforseeable, the changes of plans. Adventure is my middle name.

Quote from the Cream: "If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all!".

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Okay, good luck, Madam Adventure. The name given to me by the Lakota Sioux was Hide Under the Bed.


The Lakota Sioux was probably just telling you where you can find the animal skin to keep warm at night. 😀

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2021 at 18:00, aphperspective said:

I have no idea how it got blocked, just a guess burning dirty fuel or just an age thing. On a Golf there are 2 Cats, the first is part of the exhaust manifold and hence V pricey thankfully the second is further back under the car, just 1 tube and bits. 

I suppose this should be in the "Good thing today thread" but it started here so it ends here. 

This conversation must be familiar to allot of car owners. VW Main Dealer Parts Dept "The Catalytic converter has to come from Germany, due to Brexit, Donald Trump, and Wilderbeest blocking the Autobahn it will take till next week and cost 1600 Euro to fit. My local garage (just across the road from main dealer and next door to a Motor Factor. " No problem Andy leave the keys and pick it up tomorrow 450 Euro fitted."

Got my car back today god  bless local good garages. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I suppose this should be in the "Good thing today thread" but it started here so it ends here. 

This conversation must be familiar to allot of car owners. VW Main Dealer Parts Dept "The Catalytic converter has to come from Germany, due to Brexit, Donald Trump, and Wilderbeest blocking the Autobahn it will take till next week and cost 1600 Euro to fit. My local garage (just across the road from main dealer and next door to a Motor Factor. " No problem Andy leave the keys and pick it up tomorrow 450 Euro fitted."

Got my car back today god  bless local good garages. 

 

Yes but you don't get the free wifi and free coffee at the lttle independent garage...

Good to here you're on the road again. Get snapping!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

Yes but you don't get the free wifi and free coffee at the lttle independent garage...

Good to here you're on the road again. Get snapping!

 

 

Thanks for that due to being in total lockdown here in Ireland I can "snap" my car parked outside.🙂

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2021 at 09:23, Ed Rooney said:

The other name they were considering was: Dances with Voles. 🤨

Mine is “She who Eats Pie”.
They considered “Dances with BeeGees.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yesterday my sickly younger sister, Mary Ann, 81, fell in her assisted living home and broke her hip. She is a rare-blood type, so an operation is not an option. She's been moved to a hospice. My nephews will be visiting her and will let me know the latest on the weekend. 
 
So, on and on it goes.
  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Wow sad news Edo.  Looks like 2021 is just an extension of 2020.  

 

She is in Maryland, between Baltimore and DC. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

She is in Maryland, between Baltimore and DC. 

 

Maryland is a great place to be.  I am liking my state more and more as I get older.  Sounds like she is around of in the small city of Columbia.  I live just northwest of the DC...10 minute drive to the DC line.  I hope she is getting good care where she is!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:
Yesterday my sickly younger sister, Mary Ann, 81, fell in her assisted living home and broke her hip. She is a rare-blood type, so an operation is not an option. She's been moved to a hospice. My nephews will be visiting her and will let me know the latest on the weekend. 
 
So, on and on it goes.

 

Oh no, Edo. I am so sorry. I can say that hospice workers are angels. I have heard that over and over. Please be careful and stay well yourself.

 

Paulette

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:
Yesterday my sickly younger sister, Mary Ann, 81, fell in her assisted living home and broke her hip. She is a rare-blood type, so an operation is not an option. She's been moved to a hospice. My nephews will be visiting her and will let me know the latest on the weekend. 
 
So, on and on it goes.

So sorry for her. It’s a painful break. My mother broke her hip.
Is she AB blood type? My husband was AB positive. He gave blood often, and when he finally stopped after getting prostate cancer, they were calling and begging for it. I’m A positive and all of our kids are, too. 
Am I wrong in thinking O is the universal donor, which makes me wonder why the Blood Institute clamored for Bob’s. Can’t they just give blood type O to anyone?

Answered my own question. It’s more complicated than I realized. Red blood cells vs plasma vs whole blood.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct. "O" can be given to any other blood group patient.

 

Or so I was told by a hospital phlebotomist.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You are correct. "O" can be given to any other blood group patient.

 

Or so I was told by a hospital phlebotomist.

 

Allan

 

 

I understand that it's a bit more complicated than that globally, especially in Asia.  True for US and Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is sick again. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes meds to suppress her immune system. This time, a fever, headache and a raging sore throat.

The nurse told her yesterday to wait until Monday to get tested. Often, if one tests early, they get a false negative. That’s what happened to my nephew. He tested negative shortly after symptoms began, walked around exposing who knows who at work, then tested positive 2 or three days after the first test. Then became very ill for a couple of weeks. He’s recovered, now.

I’m praying my daughter doesn’t have it. This is the 4th scare she’s had since it all began. I’m terrified her luck will run out.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter is sick again. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes meds to suppress her immune system. This time, a fever, headache and a raging sore throat.

The nurse told her yesterday to wait until Monday to get tested. Often, if one tests early, they get a false negative. That’s what happened to my nephew. He tested negative shortly after symptoms began, walked around exposing who knows who at work, then tested positive 2 or three days after the first test. Then became very ill for a couple of weeks. He’s recovered, now.

I’m praying my daughter doesn’t have it. This is the 4th scare she’s had since it all began. I’m terrified her luck will run out.

 

That's awful to have that hanging your head and hers, of course.  My thoughts are with her with hopes that it is anything less serious than Covid.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.