Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

8 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Just to save your digits I found a speed peeler does the business on butternut squash. Over here in Ireland Swedes and Turnips are the opposite to in UK, which being a stupid Englishman always causes massive arguments at the checkout.🙄

Hiya, yes I use a spud peeler for the celeriac and swede, it was the actual cutting that was the problem😁maybe I was just unlucky and mine were extra hard.  Looking forward - I think to trying out my new knife set😄

Carol

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hiya, yes I use a spud peeler for the celeriac and swede, it was the actual cutting that was the problem😁maybe I was just unlucky and mine were extra hard.  Looking forward - I think to trying out my new knife set😄

Carol

David Mellor is a well known brand of upmarket cutlery in the UK. We bought two knives from their outlet shop for ‘quite a lot of money’. They look great but they need sharpening after every couple of days of use. 

12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

David Mellor is a well known brand of upmarket cutlery in the UK. We bought two knives from their outlet shop for ‘quite a lot of money’. They look great but they need sharpening after every couple of days of use. 

I wouldn't buy that- it might force me to eat a burger in front of the press;)

2 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Haha....not THAT David Mellor!!

Haha!

If you're ever in the region of Hathersage, take a tour around and inside the factory. It's a round building (called the Round Building I believe) by Michael Hopkins. Brilliant place!

My images are all on 35mm film, so no use, but there's not a whole lot on Alamy. Especially the visible roof structure only has one image here, while it's a thing of beauty. Very much like a bicycle wheel:

The roof of the Round Building, a cutlery factory started by David Mellor, in Hathersage, Peak District - Stock Image

(not my image)

They do have a Factory Sale now and then.

- However my cutlery is from Ikea.

wim

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Haha!

If you're ever in the region of Hathersage, take a tour around and inside the factory. It's a round building (called the Round Building I believe) by Michael Hopkins. Brilliant place!

My images are all on 35mm film, so no use, but there's not a whole lot on Alamy. Especially the visible roof structure only has one image here, while it's a thing of beauty. Very much like a bicycle wheel:

The roof of the Round Building, a cutlery factory started by David Mellor, in Hathersage, Peak District - Stock Image

(not my image)

They do have a Factory Sale now and then.

- However my cutlery is from Ikea.

wim

It’s an amazing building Wim, that’s where the shop is. My son lives not far from there so we’ve been a few times. Always something I ‘need’ to buy! Last time it was knives, the time before it was an incredible Australian garlic press!

https://dreamfarm.com/garject/

Bought our big kitchen knife at IKEA for less than a tenner. and managed to cut my finger on it the first time I washed it.  Have to say it has been very good, re-sharpens no bother so that you can slice tomatoes etc.

However, yesterday we drove to get some click and collect groceries, the first time the car had turned a wheel for weeks. I was very surprised at the density of the traffic, given that the schools and most shops are closed and people are being asked to work from home etc.  It was very much quieter during the first lockdown.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It was very much quieter during the first lockdown.

Some life has to go on. Unlike the first time essential non-food shops are open. Garages are open. I collect the car after MoT work today for example.

The film and TV industries can operate, fortunately for me.

Edited by spacecadet

One of the cats broke my rice cooker.  The Magic Keyboard seems to have lost the magic despite the temporary improvement after cleaning.  And my dog has an infection, probably where the groomer nicked him when the dog got a hair cut.   She'll need two injections a day, 7 days for one and 10 for the other.  Rice cooker will cost around $27 US to replace.  

I do have a backup wired keyboard, but haven't used it in a while, so muscle memory, irk.  May check to see if the local computer store has one I'd like better. 

41 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

One of the cats broke my rice cooker.  The Magic Keyboard seems to have lost the magic despite the temporary improvement after cleaning.  And my dog has an infection, probably where the groomer nicked him when the dog got a hair cut.   She'll need two injections a day, 7 days for one and 10 for the other.  Rice cooker will cost around $27 US to replace.  

I do have a backup wired keyboard, but haven't used it in a while, so muscle memory, irk.  May check to see if the local computer store has one I'd like better. 

I hate days like that. I’ve had them!

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Have you ever had days when you started one job then realised to complete it you had to do another and so on till at the end of the day you realise you never managed to complete the first job you started with, nor the second, nor the third and so on?

Allan

55 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Have you ever had days when you started one job then realised to complete it you had to do another and so on till at the end of the day you realise you never managed to complete the first job you started with, nor the second, nor the third and so on?

Allan

Yes Alan, I have been tidying up and reorganising, both photography and electronics related. Once started it always looks a bigger mess before becoming tidy and organised. Some space is reclaimed, and more 'Really Useful' boxes are always needed, then there's the wait until they are delivered.

One bad thing I notice with this thread is that there are usually many more 'bad things' posted the 'good things', not good.

1 minute ago, sb photos said:

Yes Alan, I have been tidying up and reorganising, both photography and electronics related. Once started it always looks a bigger mess before becoming tidy and organised. Some space is reclaimed, and more 'Really Useful' boxes are always needed, then there's the wait until they are delivered.

Ian spent at least two days sorting out his cable drawers.Some got chucked for recycling, all the rest are now neatly stored in labelled boxes. So no excuse for not being able to find the right one......

21 hours ago, Bryan said:

.... I was very surprised at the density of the traffic, given that the schools and most shops are closed and people are being asked to work from home etc.  It was very much quieter during the first lockdown.

I earn much of my income from driving, and have seen the changes in traffic volumes throughout the past year.

The first lockdown, yes very quiet everywhere.

Now... much busier ! 

There is a lot of local traffic in the towns and conurbations, but it is a bit quieter out on the trunk routes, with most of it commercial traffic (although passenger coaches are few for obvious reasons).

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Ohhh, yeah!

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I decided to pay the vet for the injections rather than try to do them myself, and my dog walker can take Lola (the dog is her, not him) to the vet for that.   Paid for the seven and ten days antibiotics and injections up front.  Now my helper is off for the rice cooker and I bought a Logitech USB keyboard since the earlier back-up had rust on the USB connector and some letters completely worn off some of the keys.   Local computer store had just one Logitech USB keyboard in stock, with a Spanish set-up, but my laptop also has the same and probably also the Magic Keyboard.  Occasionally, I type en español. 

A friend of mine here and I were saying that cats are pound for pound the most destructive pets we've had.  One of hers got her Kindle a few years ago.  Dogs are destructive as puppies, but outgrow it.  My cat with one functioning eye thinks she's an acrobat, and sometimes misses.  The time-sharing cat tends to knock things over by rubbing against them.

Well, I did get the $600 stimulus money deposited, along with a royalty check of $160 or so, so this wasn't a financial pain. 

I think Joe will be giving us another $1,400, MizB. That's stimulating.

But the BBC said this morning that UK pubs and restaurants might stay shut until May. Ohhhhh my, that's a long time between ordering a pint. In Liverpool One shopping centre today absolutely everything was shut. I stood alone and shouted at the top of my lungs, "Where is everybody!" 

Edited by Ed Rooney

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think Joe will be giving us another $1,400, MizB. That's stimulating.

But the BBC said this morning that UK pubs and restaurants might stay shut until May. Ohhhhh my, that's a long time between ordering a pint. In Liverpool One shopping centre today absolutely everything was shut. I stood alone and shouted at the top of my lungs, "Where is everybody!" 

Someone saw you, Edo... 😀

680?cb=20180908193511