Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

20 years! Bravo! Marilee did say she was going to have reconstruction, but I’m staying out of important decisions. The only thing I told her was to throw all the ammunition at it that is available.
The pasta and butter idea is good. I do remember boxed Mac & cheese was ok. I’ll pass it on. I learned to stay away from foods with multiple spices and ingredients, like Italian or Mexican foods, meatloaf, etc. The most simple foods were best, like oatmeal with sugar and milk, applesauce and other fruits, ice cream and shakes. Toast was ok, too, and peanut butter and jelly or jam sandwiches. Baked potatoes, French fries, tater tots... most of my tastebuds were gone. My tongue was nearly slick. What were left were out of balance, and it seemed “bitter” was predominant. Any multi ingredient food tasted bitter, like chemicals were on the food. It’s a shame chemotherapy kills good cells along with the bad.

Marilee lives alone, so she doesn’t have anyone in-home to help her. You managed, and although I had a husband I did for myself anyway. I still cooked, cleaned, took care of the birds and went to the market. Drove myself to chemo. Granted it took me all day to do what I used to do in an hour, but where there is a will...

I continued with some of my cat-sitting and I think the walking did me good. I learned all the places to sit down between my place and where I was going. Lots of lying down when I was home.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

??

Paulette

A pun on bring back the cat but I thought it might be misinterpreted so deleted it (related to Doc's post, nothing to do with cat sitting 😀)

Edited by MDM

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I think it was late November when I had my hair cut last. If it goes on much longer I am going to look like a prat with a pony tail.

Allan

It’s not hard, Allan. Just pick up a pair of scissors. Don’t try to cut close, that’s when you chop it up, leaving holes beyond repair. Take half off, strand by strand. No shaved neck or anything close at the neck. Use a mirror to see the back, put a piece of hair between your fingers, lay the mirror down and cut over the fingers, not under them. Then when the stay-in is over, your barber won’t cuss you.

I cut my kids’ hair until they were 16.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My missus cut both my hair and that of the kids while she also made most of their clothes when they were young. Our mothers were both seamstresses so making clothes was what you did. I still hear the sowing machine in action occasionally, and have had to fix it a few times. I guess that these activities are dying, to the best of my knowledge our daughters in law don't possess a sowing machine. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

My missus cut both my hair and that of the kids while she also made most of their clothes when they were young. Our mothers were both seamstresses so making clothes was what you did. I still hear the sowing machine in action occasionally, and have had to fix it a few times. I guess that these activities are dying, to the best of my knowledge our daughters in law don't possess a sowing machine. 

I always cut my own hair and Ian’s. Back in the day I used to perm Ian’s hair à la Marc Bolan. Now he has a number 2 with the clippers! When my son went to uni he went to the barbers for the first time because I had always cut the kids hair too.  (confession to make here.....I trained and worked as a hairdresser in the ‘70’s)

And I still have the sewing machine Ian bought me in the 80’s. I think I’ve used it more in this last year of lockdowns than ever before! 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Similar in some ways. My wife cuts my hair, and I get a telling off if I sometimes snip a little myself, she always spots it. Long ago my wife used to make some of her own clothes, also for our daughter when she was small. Now her sewing machine is starting to play up, we have been waiting for some time for a suitable replacement, but they are slow exporting from Japan. Currently she spins wool, knits and weaves, and sometimes felts. I just dried up the breakfast washing up with a nice soft absorbent weaved tea towel. 

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s not hard, Allan. Just pick up a pair of scissors. Don’t try to cut close, that’s when you chop it up, leaving holes beyond repair. Take half off, strand by strand. No shaved neck or anything close at the neck. Use a mirror to see the back, put a piece of hair between your fingers, lay the mirror down and cut over the fingers, not under them. Then when the stay-in is over, your barber won’t cuss you.

If lockdown continues much longer I will take my razor to my hair and do myself a Bruce Willis.🤪

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

If lockdown continues much longer I will take my razor to my hair and do myself a Bruce Willis.🤪

Allan

The ‘man bun’ look is very fashionable at the moment!  🤣

56 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Got up at 05.45 this morning to shoot the sunrise, drove to the location of choice only to find heavy cloud cover.  Grrrrrrrr.

That's West Cork for you. 

9 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I always cut my own hair and Ian’s. Back in the day I used to perm Ian’s hair à la Marc Bolan. Now he has a number 2 with the clippers! When my son went to uni he went to the barbers for the first time because I had always cut the kids hair too.  (confession to make here.....I trained and worked as a hairdresser in the ‘70’s)

And I still have the sewing machine Ian bought me in the 80’s. I think I’ve used it more in this last year of lockdowns than ever before! 

My mum cut our hair back in the 70's but she never trained as a hairdresser. She used one of those K-Tel Hair Magicians. Pretty much a comb with a razor blade fitted into it :(

• Love 1

12 hours ago, sb photos said:

Similar in some ways. My wife cuts my hair, and I get a telling off if I sometimes snip a little myself, she always spots it. Long ago my wife used to make some of her own clothes, also for our daughter when she was small. Now her sewing machine is starting to play up, we have been waiting for some time for a suitable replacement, but they are slow exporting from Japan. Currently she spins wool, knits and weaves, and sometimes felts. I just dried up the breakfast washing up with a nice soft absorbent weaved tea towel. 

However no images of felting or weaving in your portfolio?

Ah there's someone knitting!

Not a whole lot of searches for felting I must admit (%felting%=0), but lots for weaving, woven and knitting. Even the odd search for washing up cloth.

wim

6 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

My mum cut our hair back in the 70's but she never trained as a hairdresser. She used one of those K-Tel Hair Magicians. Pretty much a comb with a razor blade fitted into it :(

Jeez, I remember those things, they were lethal!! 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, wiskerke said:

However no images of felting or weaving in your portfolio?

Ah there's someone knitting!

Not a whole lot of searches for felting I must admit (%felting%=0), but lots for weaving, woven and knitting. Even the odd search for washing up cloth.

wim

I will have to add one or two in the future.

On 17/03/2021 at 16:58, Allan Bell said:

Continued from the "good thing" thread.

They only brought the wrong machine. Not only was it just a washer (no drying), it was also an integrated washer (fitted appliance), and it was to large anyway to fit where my old free standing machine was placed.

Couldn't have got it more wrong if they had tried.🤬

Allan

At least they took the old machine away. They got that bit right.

ITMA

Now go to the "Good thing thread" for todays post.

Allan

On 21/03/2021 at 00:03, Thyrsis said:

Jeez, I remember those things, they were lethal!! 

Many a trimmed ear.

Allan

I've lived through and embraced the many dramatic hairstyle changes of past decades—neatly cut every two weeks, allowed to grow down to my shoulder blades, and now taken  it down the roots with my Braun beard trimmer. I've decided not to dye my hair green or orange. That seems too political.

In New York, when barbers started charging $50 a head, I became my own trimmer. My last steady barber was Sal, who spoke to me non-stop in a mix of English, Italian, and Sicilian, to which I would utter an occasional approving grunt of agreement to whatever it was he was saying. 

Here in Merseyside, the Turkish and Kurdish barbers are very good and charge me only £7. They have all been closed these past months, of course. 

• Love 3

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've lived through and embraced the many dramatic hairstyle changes of past decades—neatly cut every two weeks, allowed to grow down to my shoulder blades, and now taken  it down the roots with my Braun beard trimmer. I've decided not to dye my hair green or orange. That seems too political.

In New York, when barbers started charging $50 a head, I became my own trimmer. My last steady barber was Sal, who spoke to me non-stop in a mix of English, Italian, and Sicilian, to which I would utter an occasional approving grunt of agreement to whatever it was he was saying. 

Here in Merseyside, the Turkish and Kurdish barbers are very good and charge me only £7. They have all been closed these past months, of course. 

That’s why I cut my own hair and my kids. There were many other uses for the money, like food, shoes and clothes for three kids. Bob cut his own hair. I cut it for him the last year.
For myself, having naturally curly hair covers a multitude of sins should I make a slip-up of the scissors. Plus you learn...speaking of the hole I made when trying to cut a short area in the back. Considering I was cutting blind back there...I never made that mistake again.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic