Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

12 hours ago, mickfly said:

I've become more of a grumpy old man since lockdown!

Same here, and sometimes very forcefully verbal towards covidiots when they threaten my safety. It must be a wakeup call to some, most usually look shocked that they have been challenged. I've never seen store staff challenge a covidiot.

14 hours ago, mickfly said:

I've become more of a grumpy old man since lockdown!

All for it, insufficient grumpiness these days. Perhaps we could form a society to further our interests ? 😉

Elements of concern include, but feel free to add your own : - 

Drivers - too many offences to list

Covid - as above

Adverts on TV, or indeed in any place

Loud music played outdoors

Swearing in public

Litter

Selfishness in general - should be a flogging offence.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bryan said:

All for it, insufficient grumpiness these days. Perhaps we could form a society to further our interests ? 😉

Elements of concern include, but feel free to add your own : - 

Drivers - too many offences to list

Covid - as above

Adverts on TV, or indeed in any place

Loud music played outdoors

Swearing in public

Litter

Selfishness in general - should be a flogging offence.

Yup! Bring back the "Cat".

Now for the red arrows.

Allan

I’m not grumpy, I’m angry, really angry in fact, and it has nothing to do with my age despite the fact that I now feel like I am an old man - a year with long Covid can do that to a man. I have reason to be angry, not least because there have been so many failures on the part of government in handling the pandemic (aside from the recent vaccination effort). 

It is exactly a year yesterday since I fully realised that the dry cough I had developed was actually Covid, as the chest pains increased along with the shortness of breath. The elation of surviving the acute phase was gradually replaced by extreme exhaustion which has continued to this day. It appears at this stage to be almost random - some days severe, others mild, but it seems to be permanent. This general focus on death conceals the effects of long Covid on a significant proportion of the population. 

So if I come across a so-called Covid-sceptic, particularly one who is further endangering me or other people, they are welcome to a piece of my mind. I consider it as a duty to society to educate the ignorant where they are a threat to others. Of course I weigh it up. I am not going around as a Mr Gumby shouting at people. But I am certainly within my rights to make my feelings known to infringers. 

No this is not about being grumpy or minding other people’s business which is a somewhat self-effacing approach. This is about protecting oneself and society at large. Covid is not going to disappear or be sent packing by wishful boosterism. New variants are appearing frequently and the scientists are treading water trying to keep up. Like it or not we are all in this together. So speak up people. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 6
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Yup! Bring back the "Cat".

Now for the red arrows.

Allan

I prefer education without corporal punishment. Although what to do with those who can’t or refuse to be educated? Taking their money tends to work but that needs enforcers. Do we really want a police state? No I vote for education. 

• Love 1

For many, masks have become a fashion statement. I bought a snazzy set of 4 Disney masks. Along with that, I gave myself another Bruce Willis haircut this morning. I must remember to keep my hat on as well as my mask up.

Edwardo

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

For many, masks have become a fashion statement. I bought a snazzy set of 4 Disney masks. Along with that, I gave myself another Bruce Willis haircut this morning. I must remember to keep my hat on as well as my mask up.

Edwardo

I need a haircut too. From a (brief) glance in the mirror this morning, I look like a peasant in a book of Russian folk tales. I don't own a pair of clippers...

I have cut my own hair most of my life. Before that, my mother cut it. First, because of the fact I had no money for professional cuts, then when I could afford them, so many beauticians refused to listen to what I wanted, and gave me unflattering cuts.

Every couple of years I try someone new, then come home, get out my scissors and try to reshape the mess if there is enough hair left to fix.
I did find someone years ago that understood how to shape my naturally curly/wavy hair, but then we moved away. She was wonderful. What’s so hard about knowing if you cut an inch off curly hair, the loss of weight will cause it to spring up two inches? Should be covered in beauty school. But then, that wasn’t the only issue.

Then I found a guy stylist who initially was off the mark just a bit, but did well the next times. Then I moved again.

The worst experience I ever had was when I spent a few months growing my hair so that it could be cut in a certain style. I brought pictures and showed the stylist what I wanted. She said, “you don’t have to show me any more pictures, I know what you want.”

Then she put my back to the mirror, cut off every bit I’d grown out, and gave me a style as far from what I wanted as possible.

BAH! I went 5 years after that before trying (unsuccessfully) someone else.

I’m really not hard to please normally. I just want someone to actually listen to what style I want and have the ability to do it. I understand my hair and know what styles will work and which won’t. If a stylist would just get in the ballpark of what I tell her, I would be happy. I can always make a few snips at home to perfect it.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

Same here, and sometimes very forcefully verbal towards covidiots when they threaten my safety. It must be a wakeup call to some, most usually look shocked that they have been challenged. I've never seen store staff challenge a covidiot.

Nicaraguans have some residual hostility to police after 2018, so the government left mask policing inside buildings to the private security sector, which comes armed with shotguns and automatic rifles at banks, and billy clubs at the grocery store.  All government employees are wearing masks following the reversal of Madame Vice President's early order that they couldn't (honored in the breach even before Daniel came back).  People at the municipal market don't wear them, but that's open air or in large metal sheds. 

I've had the Claro security guard remind me of the social distancing marks when I went in a couple of months ago to pay my phone and cable bills.

My neighbor across the back fence, a good friend, called me and told me she has stage 3 breast cancer. It is in her lymph nodes. She will undergo a radical mastectomy in a week.

I’m a breast cancer survivor and I remember how awful treatment was 17 years ago, and hers is worse than mine was by far. I didn’t need a mastectomy, just a lumpectomy.  I’ve volunteered to drive her wherever she needs to go during the long haul after her family leaves town. She will have some weeks after surgery that she won’t be able to drive.

This is really bothering me. I can only guess how horrible she must feel.

I do have a lot of tips to give her in spoons full. What to take to avoid chemo mouth sores, what foods taste the least horrible...and so on.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The worst experience I ever had was when I spent a few months growing my hair so that it could be cut in a certain style. I brought pictures and showed the stylist what I wanted. She said, “you don’t have to show me any more pictures, I know what you want.”

Then she put my back to the mirror, cut off every bit I’d grown out, and gave me a style as far from what I wanted as possible.

BAH! I went 5 years after that before trying (unsuccessfully) someone else.

My local hair cuttery and face waxing place tried to give me straight hair last time I was there.  I went over a year without another cut, but decided to go back to the local place.  Two women were in with very short cuts and I said, like that one, not so much as that one.  And now have a very short on the side, curly on top haircut I rather like, so I'll keep getting that one. 

My British friend said her best haircut, a basic bob or pixie cut, was done by someone who studied with Vidal Sassoon.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

My neighbor across the back fence, a good friend, called me and told me she has stage 3 breast cancer. It is in her lymph nodes. She will undergo a radical mastectomy in a week.

I’m a breast cancer survivor and I remember how awful treatment was 17 years ago, and hers is worse than mine was by far. I didn’t need a mastectomy, just a lumpectomy.  I’ve volunteered to drive her wherever she needs to go during the long haul after her family leaves town. She will have some weeks after surgery that she won’t be able to drive.

This is really bothering me. I can only guess how horrible she must feel.

I do have a lot of tips to give her in spoons full. What to take to avoid chemo mouth sores, what foods taste the least horrible...and so on.

Good for you, Betty. I survived stage two with surgery and six months of chemo. I remember I kept asking people in support groups.."What did you eat?' Anything acidic or spicy was out. Pasta with butter and parmesan was the safest. The treatments get better and better so there is a whole lot of reason to expect many more years. It has been over 20 for me and I was inspired to do something I always wanted to do. That began my wildlife trips and the memories are here on Alamy. One of the things I call my "cancer benefits". Another is the new friends I made. You will be a special one for your neighbor. By the way, I chose not to have reconstruction and have no regrets. I didn't want the extra surgery and reconstruction can cause other problems. Just my opinion.

Paulette

• Love 4

On 18/03/2021 at 13:11, Ed Rooney said:

I have been blessed with a number of talents. They do not include baking, good balance, identifying birds and flowers, or cutting my own hair. 

I can still stand in the middle of the floor one one leg for a minute. Probably longer, but a minute proves the point. The rest of those are in the bag, too. I’d like to add your talents to mine, Edo.

I’m contemplating making apricot fried pies before long but not sure if my back will allow. Those are very labor intensive being on my feet for a long time. I hate it when my mind says GO and my body says NO. I need to get a daughter over to help me.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Good for you, Betty. I survived stage two with surgery and six months of chemo. I remember I kept asking people in support groups.."What did you eat?' Anything acidic or spicy was out. Pasta with butter and parmesan was the safest. The treatments get better and better so there is a whole lot of reason to expect many more years. It has been over 20 for me and I was inspired to do something I always wanted to do. That began my wildlife trips and the memories are here on Alamy. One of the things I call my "cancer benefits". Another is the new friends I made. You will be a special one for your neighbor. By the way, I chose not to have reconstruction and have no regrets. I didn't want the extra surgery and reconstruction can cause other problems. Just my opinion.

Paulette

20 years! Bravo! Marilee did say she was going to have reconstruction, but I’m staying out of important decisions. The only thing I told her was to throw all the ammunition at it that is available.
The pasta and butter idea is good. I do remember boxed Mac & cheese was ok. I’ll pass it on. I learned to stay away from foods with multiple spices and ingredients, like Italian or Mexican foods, meatloaf, etc. The most simple foods were best, like oatmeal with sugar and milk, applesauce and other fruits, ice cream and shakes. Toast was ok, too, and peanut butter and jelly or jam sandwiches. Baked potatoes, French fries, tater tots... most of my tastebuds were gone. My tongue was nearly slick. What were left were out of balance, and it seemed “bitter” was predominant. Any multi ingredient food tasted bitter, like chemicals were on the food. It’s a shame chemotherapy kills good cells along with the bad.

Marilee lives alone, so she doesn’t have anyone in-home to help her. You managed, and although I had a husband I did for myself anyway. I still cooked, cleaned, took care of the birds and went to the market. Drove myself to chemo. Granted it took me all day to do what I used to do in an hour, but where there is a will...

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have been blessed with a number of talents. They do not include baking, good balance, identifying birds and flowers, or cutting my own hair. 

I've tried to bake bread a few times, but it has never been entirely successful. I blame our oven, but bad workman etc.

My wife has cut my hair for the past 50 years, not an onerous task these days.....

During Covid I've trimmed her hair twice, a daunting deed, but, with lockdown easing, she has managed to book an appointment with the hairdresser next month.

I can't be bothered with having my hair cut, and I get bullied into having it done, but my Mrs enjoys having her hair mauled with. Is this a significant difference between the sexes or just me ?

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

My hair hasn’t been cut since early December and now it badly needs sorting out. Ms Colblimp is refusing to cut it because she prefers it longer. 😡

Mines the same Andy, must be a couple of farmers over your way who are good at sheep sheering.🙂

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

My hair hasn’t been cut since early December and now it badly needs sorting out. Ms Colblimp is refusing to cut it because she prefers it longer. 😡

I think it was late November when I had my hair cut last. If it goes on much longer I am going to look like a prat with a pony tail.

Allan

2 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Mines the same Andy, must be a couple of farmers over your way who are good at sheep sheering.🙂

You joke about it but I may have to go down the sheep shearing route if this lockdown continues for much longer!

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

I think it was late November when I had my hair cut last. If it goes on much longer I am going to look like a prat with a pony tail.

Allan

It's an absolute nightmare, isn't it?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

If this is what Lincolnshire does for you, you'd better get back down here to Cambridge!!

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic