Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not a Royals follower, but I'll miss the Duke's one-liners. He always managed to inject some levity into what were often rather dour events.

This is my favourite Duke moment, when he injected a choice word for a photographer back in 2015.  Hopefully not too soon to post this.🙏

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Sally R said:

I still use a soft ND grad filter and sometimes a circular polarising filter.

These days I almost totally only use limited filters only for personal photography, not for Alamy uploads. Then it would be hard and soft grads, a polariser and sometimes a 10 stop ND. The increased dynamic range of newer digital cameras makes handling an extended range of light easier, unlike when long ago shooting with E6 film. My heyday for using filters was when I used to regularly shoot with my Toyo 45A tripod mounted. I still have 4 tripods, all were suited to different purposes. Last time I dusted one off was to assist shooting some local HS2 workings with a long lens last year. My filters could get more use if I shot shot specifically for POD, but it would be very time consuming for potentially limited return.

22 hours ago, Bryan said:

Another non believer, but you have to admire the pair of them. Not sure where the Royal family will be heading in future.

I don't think that it will will ever be the same after Liz. They don't make them like her any longer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Death shouldn't be all dour and miserable, it should also remember good and funny things in a person's life 😆

When my daughter-in-law died 2 years ago from breast cancer, instead of a sad memorial, we had a celebration of life event, with positive, happy and funny memories. People did not wear mourning clothes. That’s what she wanted.

A Royal death probably doesn’t have much latitude, but you all do.

I would like to say thanks again to Vincent Lowe and the others who's suggestions about the proper way to deal with hot-cross buns has changed my breakfast habits. I split them and toast them in a dry frying pan face down until they begin to brown. Then I spread on a little butter and eat with my eggs and ham or as a mid-morning treat. 

I think we all have learned something positive from this pandemic: a big part of life involves simple pleasures. 

Good morning, all!

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I would like to say thanks again to Vincent Lowe and the others who's suggestions about the proper way to deal with hot-cross buns has changed my breakfast habits. I split them and toast them in a dry frying pan face down until they begin to brown. Then I spread on a little butter and eat with my eggs and ham or as a mid-morning treat. 

I think we all have learned something positive from this pandemic: a big part of life involves simple pleasures. 

Good morning, all!

Morning Edo. Like your breakfast menu. I used to have fried breakfast many years ago but have taken a healthier option since then.

My arm is aching and a bit stiff this morning after having the second covid vaccine jab yesterday. The appointment was brought forward by a week and a day by my surgery for which I am grateful.

Another seven days and I should be well protected. Not that I am easing off on taking the necessary precautions while I am out and about.

Allan

• Love 3

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good morning, all!

You can do the same with english muffins Ed. Split them and toast in your pan. And I warm up crumpets in a dry frying pan before spreading on butter and honey. 

Great you've had both jabs, Allan. I get my second one next week. 

It is a fact that making scrambled eggs in a pan with some oil or butter is frying. Without an oven or a grill or a toaster, I do some light frying. Cooked lean ham is the only processed meat I eat, and that's about one or two slices once a week. I hope you don't still believe that eggs are bad for us and cause cholesterol problems. They don't. My son tells me he eats about 21 eggs a week and has never had a cholesterol problem. I eat 6 eggs a week. On alternate mornings, I have a broken muffin with yogurt and berries. I used to eat oatmeal as a third alternative, but the problems in my tiny kitchen have ended oatmeal for me for now. 

Eleven years ago, I developed Diabetes 2 with a lot of additional problems. I talked to some people and did some research and decided to try intermittent fasting. I stopped eating dinner and also stopped eating bread and all simple carbohydrates. In the first year, I lost 30 kilograms and cured the diabetes and some other problems. 

I'm 86 years old. I'm not a guru and I follow no online health guru. But I do have my own set of diet and health ideas. A long time ago, I saw an interview with Joe Frazier where he said in passing that he only ate one meal a day. Just one meal . . . for Joe Frazier? Wow. The 16-8 fasting thing works for me. I've only broken it a few times for social reasons. I not only save calories but I save money too. Am I hungry at night. No, I'm not. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

That very good news, Sally. I used to be a migraine sufferer. In the week of my 50th birthday, I suffered from a cluster of them, three. For whatever reason, I've not had one since then. ??? It's as if I migrained myself out. 

Hi Edo, no I do not believe in eggs and excessive cholesterol myth. In fact I have them on my shopping list for tomorrow. Have them either soft or hard boiled. My regular b/f consists of a mug of orange juice, (the real juice not reconstituted), bowl of cereal, fruit and fibre mostly but interspersed with the occasional other type plus plenty of milk in the bowl. Followed by a fresh orange (have to peel it) and mug of white tea (no milk) that is the name of it. Comes from harvesting just the very new growth at the top of the bush. No added milk or sugar.

Hi Sally I get the odd migraine but cannot put it down to any particular thing. Food, stress, whatever. It is not a headache though it manifests itself as loss of vision and flashing lights. Usually just closing my eyes and resting in a easy chair with my head back eases it within 30 minutes and I can carry on with whatever I am busy with. But Ido feel a bit woozy for a while. One of my doctors said he suspected it was an abdominal migraine.?????  I know alcohol particularly red wine and spirits can bring it on and that is why I do not drink alcohol now but still get the occasional migraine so must be stress.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Sally I get the odd migraine but cannot put it down to any particular thing. Food, stress, whatever. It is not a headache though it manifests itself as loss of vision and flashing lights. Usually just closing my eyes and resting in a easy chair with my head back eases it within 30 minutes and I can carry on with whatever I am busy with. But Ido feel a bit woozy for a while. One of my doctors said he suspected it was an abdominal migraine.?????  I know alcohol particularly red wine and spirits can bring it on and that is why I do not drink alcohol now but still get the occasional migraine so must be stress.

Allan

I get those aura migraines every so often. Usually brought on by bright light or looking at a computer screen. Two ibuprofen as soon as it starts and lots of water gets rid of it fairly quickly. 

Your breakfast sounds spot on, Allan. Love live the egg! 

In America, I gave up on OJ, both the drink and the killer. I eat an orange sometimes, yes! 

I've not given up booze or sugar entirely but I've cut way back on sugar (and coffee) and my drinking is now back to what seems an acceptable level—10 to 14 drinks a week. That's 1 or 2 a day.  I drink only wine, beer, coffee, and water. I stopped with the brandy after lunch. 🤨 Red wine is a known trigger for migraine sufferers. I do Pinot Noir sometimes now, the 'healthiest' of reds. The America medical community sees 21 drinks a week as the start of problems. 

You sound like you had/have mild classic migraine. I had extreme common migraine—a headache that caused me to not be able to talk, throwing up, and diarrhea. 

I had migraines for years. No longer have them. Allan, I never heard of an abdominal migraine.  !! But I worked for an ophthalmologist for 10 years and he diagnosed me with optical migraines. I’ve only had a handful of those. They are weird. Mine were jagged flashing lights, or grayed out half vision, or like looking through glass that water is streaming down. Everything wavy.

Optical migraines are those vision changes without the headache.

I do not eat breakfast except sometimes while camping or on vacation. The past year, I eat my heavier meal at lunch and something light at dinner. Seems a CT scan reveals I have something going on, so will be seeing a gastroenterologist this month.

Edited by Betty LaRue

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Great you've had both jabs, Allan. I get my second one next week. 

It is a fact that making scrambled eggs in a pan with some oil or butter is frying. Without an oven or a grill or a toaster, I do some light frying. Cooked lean ham is the only processed meat I eat, and that's about one or two slices once a week. I hope you don't still believe that eggs are bad for us and cause cholesterol problems. They don't. My son tells me he eats about 21 eggs a week and has never had a cholesterol problem. I eat 6 eggs a week. On alternate mornings, I have a broken muffin with yogurt and berries. I used to eat oatmeal as a third alternative, but the problems in my tiny kitchen have ended oatmeal for me for now. 

My missus is a great scrambled egg fan, but I don't get it. However the addition of a small chopped onion, fried in olive oil prior to the eggs, is transformative. Even better, add a few lightly grilled fresh summer tomatoes (not the tasteless supermarket variety) and some freshly chopped basil, (it grows on a south facing windowledge) and you have a some real taste. Accompanied by a thick slice of wholemeal bread and butter, and washed down with a mug of tea,  you've got a light but satisfying meal. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Sally R said:

Red wine and spirits are triggers for me too Allan. My last red wine consumption was aged 20. I was on a camping trip with a group and on the last night we drank red wine. I had just half a cup. The most horrific migraine started within half an hour. Returning the following day in the van we were travelling in, the driver had to stop intermittently for me to throw up on the side of the road. That plus a bad vodka and orange induced migraine have kept me off red wine and spirits. I was therefore only a very occasional social drinker of milder things, and now with a recently diagnosed autoimmune condition that affects the liver not a drinker at all. I know that stress can be a factor for me too. I don't get the flashing lights, so I think I have the common migraine that Ed describes. My cousin gets the abdominal migraines quite badly and sometimes has to be hospitalised with them.

Hello Sally, I was OK with spirits up till about late 40's when someone gave me a glass of red wine and 15 minutes later flashing lights were everywhere. I did continue with the spirits but they gradually started to have the same effect so stopped them too. My very first migraine was when I was about 17. It started at work with my eyesight disappearing down half of one side but could still see the other half. Went to the first aid room and the nurse there sent me home to go to bed and rest. That was a journey and a half as I used to cycle to work. Cycling home avoiding the traffic was a bit hectic. While I was in bed the doctor paid a house call to check on me. I was terrified that I was losing my site.

While still in bed I got this almighty headache which the doc had prescribed some tablets. That is the only time I had the headache.

I sympathise with your cousin and consider myself lucky not to have it so bad as to have to go to hospital.

Allan

The first casualty of the continuing late frosts, a single outdoor  tomato plant succumbed within the little greenhouse at our allotment. I have a couple of them surviving in the greenhouse at home, so rather strange. I guess the allotment is a bit of a frost pocket, while our plot sees full sun most of the day, so it suffers temperature extremes. Fortunately the leeks, onions,  beetroot, peas  etc are doing fine. 

Meanwhile, back at chez Bryan, we have increasingly tall leggy tomato plants lining the bedroom windows waiting their chance to escape.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Meanwhile, back at chez Bryan, we have increasingly tall leggy tomato plants lining the bedroom windows waiting their chance to escape.

Haha, ditto!

We lost several broad bean plants to earlier frosts but the rest are doing okay now, as are the onions and garlic. Spuds are in but not showing yet. 

img_8397.jpeg?w=1024

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Love 1

On 10/04/2021 at 18:10, John Mitchell said:

I don't think that it will will ever be the same after Liz. They don't make them like her any longer.

Agreed. The thought of Charles as king makes me shudder. 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not your king, though, unless I missed something?

English and proud, living in Ireland because I love it!  Still have my English passport and accent and always will have.

• Alamy locked this topic