Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Bright but perishing cold outside, the pond is frozen over and the wind howling.  Weirdly it snowed over Sunday night but the pond did not freeze then, must have been colder yesterday.  Hope the, thankfully outdoor, tomatoes in the greenhouse will be OK.  Indoors, the window ledges are bursting with plants wanting to be free.

And, I want to plant stuff out in the allotment, but it will have to wait. 😒

26 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Bright but perishing cold outside, the pond is frozen over and the wind howling.  Weirdly it snowed over Sunday night but the pond did not freeze then, must have been colder yesterday.  Hope the, thankfully outdoor, tomatoes in the greenhouse will be OK.  Indoors, the window ledges are bursting with plants wanting to be free.

And, I want to plant stuff out in the allotment, but it will have to wait. 😒

I hope the weather lets you plant stuff out soon Bryan. It is hard to comprehend from here as frosts are rare events here in Perth, Australia, at least here on the coast. Inland areas do get them. A few weeks ago I planted out some veggie seeds and they are already growing, and will most likely grow through our upcoming winter. I have some quite vigorous pumpkins up and running, and some radish, beetroot and mizuna. I just planted out a chocolate mint seedling too in a shady spot where it is quite happy. Although things will grow more slowly in cooler weather, many things will still grow in the cooler months. Our summers are so harsh that it is often necessary to protect growing veggies with some kind of shade cloth so they don't burn and die!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Colblimp said:

No snow here unfortunately.  I’m going to try again tomorrow for a sunrise!

Sunrise is much harder to nail than sunset; it disappears quickly. I do enjoy shooting at early light though. Here's the view out the window of my friend's loft in Brooklyn where I stayed right after the fire.

M9DMF1.jpg

MEPCNB.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sunrise is much harder to nail than sunset; it disappears quickly. I do enjoy shooting at early light though. Here's the view out the window of my friend's loft in Brooklyn where I stayed right after the fire.

M9DMF1.jpg

MEPCNB.jpg

There's a load of locations for sunrise within an hour's drive from me.  Here's this morning's effort

2f7ayyr.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Our summers are so harsh that it is often necessary to protect growing veggies with some kind of shade cloth so they don't burn and die!

No harsh summers here, but we have a small (6'6" square) glasshouse at the allotment in which it is very difficult to control the temperature, despite using an automatic roof vent. Brassica seedlings can't stand the heat in there while most other stuff flourishes. We have a relatively short growing season, so late spring frosts are a problem.  But then, farmers and gardeners are rarely happy with the weather 😉 - Talking of which we could do with a drop or two of heavy rain.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

No harsh summers here, but we have a small (6'6" square) glasshouse at the allotment in which it is very difficult to control the temperature, despite using an automatic roof vent. Brassica seedlings can't stand the heat in there while most other stuff flourishes. We have a relatively short growing season, so late spring frosts are a problem.  But then, farmers and gardeners are rarely happy with the weather 😉 - Talking of which we could do with a drop or two of heavy rain.....

And it’s 9am here, and I’m listening to thunder from a small line of rain. The big one comes tonight with a possibility of severe storms. It will soon be safe to set out tomatoes again. That is, safe from freeze but maybe not from hail.

• Like 1
On 06/04/2021 at 18:17, Bryan said:

What I think is really nice about spring in your part of the world is that it is quite a dramatic difference compared to the subtle transitions we have here between seasons. As a kid I remember seeing a program about spring in Europe and there were frozen streams beginning to melt and run, new growth appearing on bare trees and small creatures emerging from winter burrows. It is like life suddenly comes alive, so to speak. So I imagine the growing season is something precious for gardeners and all the more special because of it. Friends of my parents in the UK said their garden is bare in the winter but then comes alive in the spring and summer. The only trees that go bare here in the winter are introduced deciduous ones, and streams freezing over just doesn't happen (with the exception places like the highlands in eastern Australia and Tasmania in the south, but not here). I'd love to see that transition one day from winter to spring in parts of the world where it is more dramatic. I'm sure it has been an inspiration for many poets, composers, songwriters, painters etc, and photographers of course!

• Like 1
On 06/04/2021 at 16:38, Ed Rooney said:

M9DMF1.jpg

MEPCNB.jpg

I love these images Ed. I love how the light changes too in just a matter of minutes which you can really see in these two photos - kind of blue light to golden light (or the reverse at sunset-dusk). You become all the more aware of these shifts in light when photographing them.

Two refunds (same buyer) today for mid $$ each 😒😒

Update: One more refund was added just now, so three refunds from the same client (same price).  Not a good Alamy day for me.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Sad 1

Only one for me:

Duration: In perpetuity ; Additional Details: Multiple re-use in any and all Benchmark Education editorial products globally per the terms set forth in Asset License Agreement dated December 10, 2019. Out-of-context advertising/promo use excluded.

wim

edit: mine came back as a sale today (Friday)

Edited by wiskerke

Just tried to purchase a few USB-C / USB3 memory sticks to use for macOS installers and the PayPal page went no further. Same on phone and MBP, so checked service status - Checkout Service Disruption! Drat!

Edit: a few hours later all was well and payment went through.

Edited by sb photos
On 06/04/2021 at 09:54, Colblimp said:

There's a load of locations for sunrise within an hour's drive from me.  Here's this morning's effort

2f7ayyr.jpg

A great sunrise. I must admit to preferring sunsets. Not because I don't like rising early, but as quite often when the sun drops down over the horizon it lights up the low cloud above and can be spectacular. I was once shooting a sunset on a beach close to St Just when about 20 club photographers arrived to shoot the sunset, then disappeared just before the sky lit up. I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

8 hours ago, sb photos said:

I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

In the last couple of years I started using filters for the first time ever...initially 3 & 6 stop ND as I wanted to just slow shutter speeds down, then I did get a couple of grads, 3 stop, 1 soft, 1 hard. I use them sparingly but glad I started.

Phil

36 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

In the last couple of years I started using filters for the first time ever...initially 3 & 6 stop ND as I wanted to just slow shutter speeds down, then I did get a couple of grads, 3 stop, 1 soft, 1 hard. I use them sparingly but glad I started.

Phil

I used ND filters a few years ago, but stopped using them now due to the faff of not only having to carry a tripod, but also setting up the filters (I have a universal system that fits to different lens diameters). You can take multiple exposures with the tripod and then combine images in Photoshop, but I generally just use the graduated filter tool in LR.

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

A great sunrise. I must admit to preferring sunsets. Not because I don't like rising early, but as quite often when the sun drops down over the horizon it lights up the low cloud above and can be spectacular. I was once shooting a sunset on a beach close to St Just when about 20 club photographers arrived to shoot the sunset, then disappeared just before the sky lit up. I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

Thanks, it was a nice morning.  I don't use filters - I just don't have time as a press tog.

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

I still use ND grads, soft and hard, does anyone else?

I still use a soft ND grad filter and sometimes a circular polarising filter. I use the ND grad filter regularly with landscapes, mostly on a tripod in lower light conditions when I am both wanting to slow the exposure down (especially where water is involved) and to even out the exposure between sky and ground/foreground. A few years ago someone I know who is a professional wedding photographer said, "that is so old school" when she found out I was using in-camera filters. This had never occurred to me before, but perhaps it is much more common now for people to do this in LR or other software.

I sometimes have also used the ND grad when hand-holding in brighter light as well, just to even out the exposure. While I haven't used the circular polariser in a while, I have generally used it in the past for giving an image more 'pop' and reducing reflection. I quite like using the polariser in forests and woodlands where it brings out the greens and browns and it can also be helpful to slow the water down of streams/waterfalls in those environments. It can also enable a view through streams to the rocks below which can be a nice effect if there are pebbles or interesting rocks in a stream. Other times you want the reflection off the water and that is were I won't use the polariser.

One thing I like about using filters in-camera is you can immediately see the results of the exposure rather than working it out later in post processing. Sometimes vignetting is an issue with filters on wide angle lenses but that is easy to remove in post.

28 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

I broke my favourite tea mug today I had it for 20 years :(

It is always sad when a cherished item breaks 😢 . I hope you can find another tea mug to replace it. I have a favourite tea mug and it is funny how all the other mugs simply aren't the same. You will have to find one that you can bond with.

Years ago I was telling my housemate how much I loved my mop bucket, that it was the favourite one I'd owned, had an ergonomic handle etc etc. He then said, "I can just see you and your mop bucket watching the sunset together" 😂  

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, David Pimborough said:

Oddly painful that. 

I had a prize elegant cup and saucer that was given to me by my wife's aunt we we wed. On our last day together, at breakfast, before leaving Rome and our marriage of 10 years, I dropped and broke the cup. 

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I used ND filters a few years ago, but stopped using them now due to the faff of not only having to carry a tripod, but also setting up the filters 

Depends very much on what you're trying to achieve...Sometimes the faff is worth it!

There are situations when you cannot beat the results you get by setting up a tripod and slowing down your whole approach, and if a filter is part of that then so be it!

Phil

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oddly painful that. 

I had a prize elegant cup and saucer that was given to me by my wife's aunt we we wed. On our last day together, at breakfast, before leaving Rome and our marriage of 10 years, I dropped and broke the cup. 

You're a big heart.

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

I had a favorite coffee mug that I broke. I found something similar online and bought two but they were never quite right. I broke them both and felt rather relieved. They had always disappointed me.

Paulette

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I had a favorite coffee mug that I broke. I found something similar online and bought two but they were never quite right. I broke them both and felt rather relieved. They had always disappointed me.

Paulette

I don't know whether to laugh or cry I know how you feel 😆😂

Mug in question nothing elegant I'd had it since a Tetley Tea promo in 1997

Jurassic Park The Lost World Black Movie Mug Merchandise | eBay

We must have a dozen tea mugs in the cupboard but I always use the same one for my breakfast tea with milk and another  one for my afternoon herbal tea!